[TheClimate.Vote] August 19, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Fri Aug 19 08:42:48 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming  August 19, 2016/

    Millennials Ditch Trump Over His Stance on*Climate Change*
    <http://www.ecowatch.com/millennials-trump-climate-change-1976368422.html>

EcoWatch 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

Voters across the political and demographic spectrum find Trump
increasingly objectionable and Millennials in particular are refusing to
support the Republican nominee because of his position on*climate
change*. Former supporters describe their 'last straw' when it came to
Trump, the Post took a look at Millennial reddit users and found trends
represented by examples like: "When he and Clinton both got the
nomination for their respective parties, I was actually leaning more
toward Trump," Scratch_That_Itch said. "However, his denial of climate
change completely changed my mind. I'm not one to get caught up in the
doom and gloom of many articles about the climate changing, but there is
absolutely ZERO reason not to invest time, money and energy into
renewable/cleaner power sources."...Millennials want a president who
holds justice and equality among their top priorities. Clinton has
demonstrated her commitment to progressive values time and again, from
her work as an advocate at the Children's Defense Fund, to making
history by holding the first hearing on environmental justice ever in
the U.S. Senate....While Trump will drag us backwards toward the dirty
fuels of the past and cook the planet in the process, Clinton will build
on the progress we've already achieved in moving America and the world,
towards a 21st century clean energy economy under President Obama.

*Progressive Clinton supporters: You broke it, you bought it
<http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/291791-progressive-clinton-supporters-you-broke-it-you>*
Becky Bond, The Hill So to progressives who supported Clinton in the
primary  —  labor advocates, environmentalists, immigration reformers,
anti-war activists  —  you have a special responsibility to lead efforts
to hold your candidate accountable....Not just on TPP, but on the fight
to keep fossil fuels in the ground, dismantle structural racism, stop
the deportations of children fleeing violence in Central America, and
bring our troops home from U.S. wars of choice in the Middle
East....Like a lot of people who worked hard to win the Democratic
nomination for a candidate who would be making very different choices
for these key positions, my message to progressives who backed Clinton
over Bernie isn't "I told you so." These appointments are totally
predictable moves by the Clinton administration.

*Breitbart, source of Trump's new head executive, classifies climate
believers as 'pure scum'
<http://fusion.net/story/337458/trump-and-breitbart-match-made-in-climate-denier-hell/>*
Donald Trump has reshuffled his campaign team, again. While the exact
reasons for this latest realignment, in whichhe hired
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/us/politics/donald-trump-stephen-bannon-paul-manafort.html?_r=0>a
top executive from ultra conservative Breitbart News and promoted a
senior adviser, remain debatable, one thing is clear: Climate change
will be more maligned, misconstrued, and relegated to obscurity than it
was even before the shift...Trump, inhis own words
<http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/election/donald-trump/article95161477.html>,
is "not a big believer in manmade climate change."..
He thinks that, over the Earth's billions of years "certainly climate
has changed."   But he would say "it goes up, it goes down, and I think
it's very much like this over the years…we'll see what happens. I mean,
we'll see what happens."

*Nobody can buy the silence of a climate spinning out of control
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/09/climate-ministers-bribe-local-fracking-environment>*
Caroline Lucas   It's an insult to those who have fought hard to protect
their local environment – and the wider global environment – from the
dangers posed by fracking, to suggest they can be bought off like this.
Despite ministers trying to shut down the planning process and silence
legitimate peaceful protest, local people do still have a powerful voice
and are not afraid to use it. To assume their objections are for sale is
to misunderstand the principles at stake here. The government would do
better to listen to the communities rejecting fracking and to the 10,000
local people who opposed a new opencast mine at Druridge Bay, which will
nonetheless go ahead unless the secretary of state steps in to stand up
for a safe climate....The bigger picture is that fracking is yet another
sign of a broken and outdated energy policy ...The only way out of the
climate crisis is through a radical transition to a zero-carbon economy
based on renewable energy. The public know this – that's why support for
renewables remains high at 81%, with only 4% opposing.

*Time to listen to the ice scientists about the Arctic death spiral
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/18/ice-scientists-arctic-ice-disappearing-reduce-emissions-peter-wadhams>*
The warming now being widely experienced worldwide is concentrated in
the polar regions and Wadhams says we will shortly have ice-free Arctic
Septembers, expanding to four or five months with no ice at all. The
inevitable result, he predicts, will be the release of huge plumes of
the powerful greenhouse gas methane, accelerating warming even
further....The warming now being widely experienced worldwide is
concentrated in the polar regions and Wadhams says we will shortly have
ice-free Arctic Septembers, expanding to four or five months with no ice
at all. The inevitable result, he predicts, will be the release of huge
plumes of the powerful greenhouse gas methane, accelerating warming even
further....Because Wadhams says what other scientists will not, he has
been widely slandered, attacked and vilified by denialists and
politicians who have advised caution or non-action. But now he returns
their fire, exhorting people to counter what he calls "the sewage flow
of lies and deceit" emitted by the deniers. Above all, he says, people
who study climate change should speak up and be prepared to risk the
blighting of their careers and absence of honours....How to proceed
safely in a warming world without disastrous unintended consequences?
The need for truly urgent action is undeniable, but by the time answers
have been found to the massive questions of science, engineering and
governance that Wadhams agrees need to be solved before geo-engineering
on a planetary scale can go ahead, it will be far too late....*Climate
change has been caused by ignorance and stupidity and cannot be solved
by endorsing more of the same with geo-engineering*. The only answer is
reducing greenhouse emissions. Fast.

    Are We Feeling Collective Grief Over*Climate Change*?
    <http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/08/18/are-we-feeling-collective-grief-over-climate-change>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

The idea is highly controversial, but at least one psychiatrist is
convinced that we are, whether we know it or not...The deterioration of
our planet—the only home we have ever known and an assurance we used to
take for granted—is bound to elicit a wide range of emotions in
different individuals. Mourning is personal, but as a species, could it
be that we are making our way through the stages of grief as outlined by
the late Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross?...The problem is that the inertia of
the system is not our friend," *...*The disconnect is almost
understandable: we are hitting tipping points of no return, etching our
fate in glacial ice while the full consequence of our inaction remains
hidden from view.

    NPR: Should We Be Having Kids In Light Of*Global Warming*?
    <http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/18/npr-should-we-be-having-kids-in-light-of-global-warming/>

Daily Caller 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

National Public Radio (NPR) featured an academic philosopher Thursday
who says morality requires Americans to stop having kids, because they
will only cause more*global warming*. "Maybe we should protect our kids
by not having them," ....Scientists warn that a catastrophic tipping
point is possible in the next few decades. By midcentury, possibly
before, the average global temperature is projected to rise by more than
2 degrees Celsius, the point scientists and world leaders agree would
trigger cataclysmic consequences. Last year's historic Paris climate
agreement falls short of preventing that, so more drastic cuts in carbon
emissions are needed....He cites a study from 2010 that looked at the
impact of demographic change on global carbon emissions. It found that
slowing population growth could eliminate one-fifth to one-quarter of
all the carbon emissions that need to be cut by midcentury to avoid that
potentially catastrophic tipping point.

*This igloo greenhouse could revolutionize food production in the North
<http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/this-igloo-greenhouse-could-revolutionize-food-production-in-the-north-1.3698224>*
*video * A Ryerson University student has built an greenhouse on the
Arctic Circle that allows people in the far North to grow fresh produce.
              ========================  ####
===============================

    Links are gleaned from various internet news sources by Richard
    Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for
    citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.

        The new .VOTE domain is designed to help voters, elected
        officials, governments, candidates, citizens and organizations
        exchange information   .VOTE and .VOTO sites are designed to
        support more honest political discourse.

        This domain must be used for democratic and election purposes
        and cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. Audits will
        be performed regularly to ensure compliance with the policies.

    Forward this email to your representatives and candidates  and you
    may subscribe/unsubscribe at
    https://pairlist10.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/theclimate.voteThe list
    membership is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted
    to this mailing list.