[TheClimate.Vote] Dec 10, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sat Dec 10 09:48:44 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  December 10, 2016

/

    Trump transition team for Energy Department seeks names of employees
    involved in*climate*meetings
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/12/09/trump-transition-team-for-energy-department-seeks-names-of-employees-involved-in-climate-meetings/>

Washington Post 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    The Trump transition team has issued a list of 74 questions for the
    Energy Department, asking officials there to identify which
    department employees and contractors have worked on forging an
    international*climate*pact as well as domestic efforts to cut*the
    nation’s carbon output....
    *This potential clash could prompt a major schism within the federal
    government, with many career officials waging a battle against
    incoming political appointees....
    One question zeroed in on the issue of the "social cost of carbon,"
    a way of calculating the consequences of greenhouse gas emissions.
    The transition team asked for a list of department employees or
    contractors who attended interagency meetings, the dates of the
    meetings, and emails and other materials associated with them....
    The social cost of carbon is a metric that calculates the cost to
    society of emitting a ton of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. The
    Obama administration has used this tool to try to calculate the
    benefits of regulations and initiatives that lead to lower
    greenhouse gas emissions....
    Another question appeared to delve deeply into the mechanisms behind
    scientific tools called "integrated assessment models," which
    scientists use to forecast future changes to the climate and energy
    system. It also asked what the Energy Department considers to be
    "the proper equilibrium climate sensitivity," which is a way that
    climate researchers calculate how much the planet will eventually
    warm, depending upon the amount of greenhouse gases emitted into the
    atmosphere....
    "My guess is that they’re trying to undermine the credibility of the
    science that DOE has produced, particularly in the field of climate
    science," said Rob Jackson, a Stanford climate and energy
    researcher, in response to the question about the Integrated
    Assessment Models.*
    *
    Leaked Document: Trump Wants to Identify Officials Who Worked on
    Obama*Climate*Policies
    <http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/12/bloomberg-energy-document-leak>Mother
    Jones
    Donald Trump aides are attempting to identify Department of Energy
    staffers who played a role in promoting President Barack Obama's
    climate policies, according to details of a leaked transition team
    questionnaire published by Bloomberg Thursday night.
    According to Bloomberg:

        The transition team has asked the agency to list employees and
        contractors who attended United Nations climate meetings, along
        with those who helped develop the Obama administration's social
        cost of carbon metrics, used to estimate and justify the climate
        benefits of new rules. The advisers are also seeking information
        on agency loan programs, research activities and the basis for
        its statistics, according to a five-page internal document
        circulated by the Energy Department on Wednesday. The document
        lays out 65 questions from the Trump transition team, sources
        within the agency said.

    Bloomberg goes on to say the document was confirmed by two Energy
    Department employees, who said agency staff were "unsettled" by the
    request. Someone in Trump's transition team also confirmed the
    authenticity of the document to Bloomberg.
    more at https://theintercept.com/2016/12/09/david-schnare-trump/

    CNN host Chris Cuomo spars with congresswoman in tense exchange
    over*global warming*
    <http://www.businessinsider.com/chris-cuomo-marsha-blackburn-climate-change-2016-12>

Business Insider 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    "Of course you can be a believer in clean air and clean water and
    realize that when you work at*global warming*or*climate change*, as
    it is now popularly called, that it is cyclical and you have to look
    at it in terms of centuries, not in terms of*...*"*It’s not some
    though, congresswoman,*"* Cuomo quipped. *"*You know — it’s an
    overwhelming scientific consensus on the notion of whether man-made
    activities negatively impact global warming. It’s not an open debate
    within the scientific community. It is a big majority and a small
    group of people that resist it.*"*...
    Cuomo reiterated that he was *"*talking about the basic science*"*
    and whether she and Pruitt agreed with it....*"*The fact is that
    there is still debate about that and the participation of human
    beings in this,*"* Blackburn said. *"*We all will agree we want the
    Earth to stay healthy. We want clean air, we want clean
    water.*"*...The congresswoman said, however, that it was important
    to *"*make certain that we are able to have the energy that is
    necessary to fuel a productive economy.*"**

*
**NASA Nears Finish Line of Annual Study of Changing Antarctic Ice
<https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-nears-finish-line-of-annual-study-of-changing-antarctic-ice>*

    Operation IceBridge, NASA’s airborne survey of changes in polar ice,
    is closing in on the end of its eighth consecutive Antarctic
    deployment, and will likely tie its 2012 campaign record for the
    most research flights carried out during a single Antarctic season...
    "We are probing the most remote corners of Spaceship Earth to learn
    more about changes that affect all of us locally, such as how ice
    sheets are contributing to sea level rise," said NASA Deputy
    Administrator Dava Newman on her very first flight over Antarctica
    with the IceBridge team on Nov. 17. "At NASA we explore: not only
    space, but also our home planet."
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-nears-finish-line-of-annual-study-of-changing-antarctic-ice
    Rift in Antarctica's Larsen C Ice Shelf
    <https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/rift-in-antarcticas-larsen-c-ice-shelf>
    On Nov. 10, 2016, scientists on NASA's IceBridge mission
    photographed an oblique view of a massive rift in the Antarctic
    Peninsula's Larsen C ice shelf. Icebridge, an airborne survey of
    polar ice, completed an eighth consecutive Antarctic deployment on
    Nov. 18...
    Ice shelves are the floating parts of ice streams and glaciers, and
    they buttress the grounded ice behind them; when ice shelves
    collapse, the ice behind accelerates toward the ocean, where it then
    adds to sea level rise. Larsen C neighbors a smaller ice shelf that
    disintegrated in 2002 after developing a rift similar to the one now
    growing in Larsen C.
    The IceBridge scientists measured the Larsen C fracture to be about
    70 miles long, more than 300 feet wide and about a third of a mile
    deep. The crack completely cuts through the ice shelf but it does
    not go all the way across it – once it does, it will produce an
    iceberg roughly the size of the state of Delaware.
    https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/rift-in-antarcticas-larsen-c-ice-shelf

*(TED video) The reality of climate change | David Puttnam |
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjtO-0tbKU>*

    ...And the Duty of Care.   David Puttnam looks at Climate Change
    through different lenses, all of which reveal the unsustainable ways
    in which we are living. Climate Change is real, but throughout
    history humans have failed to set political and economic concerns
    aside for our greater good. Will we ignore this latest warning?
    "Disregarding human suffering in pursuit of profit"  ..
    Lord David Puttnam produced award-winning films including Chariots
    of Fire, Bugsy Malone, and The Mission. He now works at the
    intersection between education, media, and policy. In 2007 he was
    appointed Chairman of the Joint Parliamentary Committee on the Draft
    Climate Change Bill.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjtO-0tbKU

*Paramount Sets ‘Inconvenient Truth’ Sequel To Open Sundance Film
Festival
<http://deadline.com/2016/12/inconvenient-truth-2-coming-from-paramount-with-sundance-2017-premiere-1201867970/>*

    Ten years after the success of the Academy Award-winning documentary
    An Inconvenient Truth, Paramount today announced it will release a
    sequel. Directed by Bonni Cohen and Jon Shenk, the Participant Media
    film will follow former Vice President Al Gore in his efforts to
    fight climate change. Ahead of a theatrical release, the film is set
    to premiere opening night at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival...
    Unlike the original An Inconvenient Truth, which mixed documentary
    footage with an adaptation of Gore’s inspirational slide
    presentation about the dangers of global warming, the sequel
    features the former Vice President traveling the globe to tell a
    story of change in the making. ...The film is produced by Richard
    Berge and Diane Weyermann and executive produced by Jeff Skoll,
    original director Davis Guggenheim, Lawrence Bender, Laurie David,
    Scott Z. Burns, and Lesley Chilcott....
    "Now more than ever we must re-dedicate ourselves to solving the
    climate crisis," said Gore in a statement. "But we have reason to be
    hopeful; the solutions to the crisis are at hand. I’m deeply honored
    and grateful that Paramount Pictures and Participant Media have once
    again taken on the task of bringing the critical story of the
    climate crisis to the world."...
    http://deadline.com/2016/12/inconvenient-truth-2-coming-from-paramount-with-sundance-2017-premiere-1201867970/

*Most of Greenland ice melted to bedrock in recent geologic past –
‘Unfortunately, this makes the Greenland ice sheet look highly unstable’*
<http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/news-events/most-greenland-ice-melted-bedrock-recent-geologic-past-study-says>

    <http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/news-events/most-greenland-ice-melted-bedrock-recent-geologic-past-study-says>Scientists
    have found evidence in a chunk of bedrock drilled from nearly two
    miles below the summit of the Greenland Ice Sheet that the ice
    nearly disappeared for an extended time in the last million years or
    so. The finding casts doubt on assumptions that Greenland has been
    relatively stable during the recent geological past, and implies
    that global warming could tip it into decline more precipitously
    than previously thought. Such a decline could cause rapid sea-level
    rise. The findings appear this week in the leading journal Nature....
    Scientists have found evidence in a chunk of bedrock drilled from
    nearly two miles below the summit of the Greenland Ice Sheet that
    the ice nearly disappeared for an extended time in the last million
    years or so. The finding casts doubt on assumptions that Greenland
    has been relatively stable during the recent geological past, and
    implies that global warming could tip it into decline more
    precipitously than previously thought. Such a decline could cause
    rapid sea-level rise. The findings appear this week in the leading
    journal Nature....
    http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/news-events/most-greenland-ice-melted-bedrock-recent-geologic-past-study-says
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v540/n7632/full/nature20146.html
    The Greenland Ice Sheet (GIS) contains the equivalent of 7.4 metres
    of global sea-level rise1. Its stability in our warming climate is
    therefore a pressing concern. However, the sparse proxy evidence of
    the palaeo-stability of the GIS means that its history is
    controversial (compare refs 2 and 3 to ref. 4). Here we show that
    Greenland was deglaciated for extended periods during the
    Pleistocene epoch (from 2.6 million years ago to 11,700 years ago),
    based on new measurements of cosmic-ray-produced beryllium and
    aluminium isotopes (10Be and 26Al) in a bedrock core from beneath an
    ice core near the GIS summit. Models indicate that when this bedrock
    site is ice-free, any remaining ice is concentrated in the eastern
    Greenland highlands and the GIS is reduced to less than ten per cent
    of its current volume. Our results narrow the spectrum of possible
    GIS histories: the longest period of stability of the present ice
    sheet that is consistent with the measurements is 1.1 million years,
    assuming that this was preceded by more than 280,000 years of
    ice-free conditions. Other scenarios, in which Greenland was
    ice-free during any or all Pleistocene interglacials, may be more
    realistic. Our observations are incompatible with most existing
    model simulations that present a continuously existing Pleistocene
    GIS. Future simulations of the GIS should take into account that
    Greenland was nearly ice-free for extended periods under Pleistocene
    climate forcing.

*Boston Sounds the Alarm:*

    The City of Boston released a 400-page report
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=b9dd541e15&e=cab6c88302>
    Thursday that predicts the effects of climate change and provides a
    roadmap for the city to adapt. The report predicts a catastrophic
    storm affecting 90,000 Bostonians and causing $14 billion of
    damage within 50 years if immediate action is not taken, and details
    the impacts climate change would have on specific neighborhoods in
    the city. In the report’s forward, Mayor Marty Walsh wrote that
    implementing climate resilience plans will "create jobs, improve
    public spaces and public health, and make our energy supply more
    efficient and resilient." (WBUR
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=685810295c&e=cab6c88302>,
    Boston Globe
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=28f246083e&e=cab6c88302>
    $, Boston Herald
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=a24e4e1858&e=cab6c88302>,
    NBC
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=ce708aad9f&e=cab6c88302>,
    NECN
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=024c8c562a&e=cab6c88302>)
    (ClimateNexus)

*Roundup Gone Gonzo: Fear and Loathing at Koch-Funded Trump "Shadow
Transition Team" Event*

    Science gives way to science fiction at an ominous meeting of fossil
    fuel elites
    Wednesday there was an eight hour climate denial event, hosted by
    both the Heritage Foundation, which has been described as Trump’s
    ‘shadow transition’ Team, and the Texas Public Policy Foundation.
    The following is a rare denier roundup written in the first person.
    It is my account of a day-long descent into madness, watching the
    livestream all day...
    There was a great diversity of speakers across the six sessions.
    There were speeches by men from Congress, men from think tanks, men
    from fossil fuel companies and lobby groups, men from science and a
    man of law addressing the gathering. Women were also allowed at the
    event, to give the introductory and dinner keynote addresses and
    allowed an occasional emceeing role...
    I tuned in 10 minutes late thinking I’d catch the tail end of the
    introductory remarks. Instead, I was immediately greeted by Rep.
    Lamar Smith making an apology for Senator Mike Lee not being
    there — he was voting on something, apparently. Before long, Smith
    was bragging about the 25 subpoenas he’s issued as chair of the
    House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. In the 21 years
    prior, the committee had issued… one...
    But then, he predicted that "there won’t be near as many subpoenas
    in the coming Congress." Because when his fellow fossil fuel friends
    are running the show, what could he possibly want to investigate?...
    What he does intend to do, however, is force the EPA to violate
    privacy laws. He describes it as making sure the EPA makes the data
    on which it bases regulations public. All the data. Which would mean
    making private medical records public, violating HIPPA and other
    patient protection laws...
    Smith did say something we can all agree with: "Regulations should
    be based on sound science, not science fiction." But it was science
    fiction that would emerge as something of theme of the day...  [This
    very special Denier Roundup is continued at Nexus Media News.]

    *Climate Change*Is Causing Widespread Extinction
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161208152136.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎18 hours ago‎

    Extinctions related to*climate change*have already happened in
    hundreds of plant and animal species around the world. ... This
    result is particularly striking because*global warming*has increased
    mean temperatures by less than 1 degree Celsius so far.

*More dire data, less climate change concern?*
<http://www.dw.com/en/more-dire-data-less-climate-change-concern/a-36711491>

    As climate change becomes more apparent, are people becoming
    fatigued on the topic?...
    ...The unanticipated feedback loop could result in release of
    emissions amounting to that of the entire United States, research
    showed. This would blast the planet well past the 2 degree Celsius
    (3.6 degree Fahrenheit) limit, beyond which scientists say climate
    change could become catastrophic.
    "It's something that scientists have theorized for quite awhile, but
    had not yet been proven," he told DW. Crowther started this research
    to disprove this hypothesis, he told DW. "But now, all the data
    suggests it's even worse than we thought."
    Crowther says he, too, is concerned that as climate science becomes
    ever more alarming, people seem less and less alarmed.
    "My personal opinion is that it's become too much of a politicized
    issue," he says. There's no debate when that happens, he says,
    "there's just people shouting at each other."
    "Any time people bring new information to the table, it just
    reinforces the fury on both sides of the argument, and they just
    shout at each other and nobody gets anywhere."
    Crowther notes that there is no other way to stop the soil feedback
    loop than to limit overall emissions - which is why Trump's threat
    to scrap US emissions limits and pull the US out of the Paris
    climate accord is so worrying.
    "This data reinforces the need to meet the targets that were set at
    Paris, because now we know that cutting greenhouse gas emissions is
    even more critical than we thought."
    In the meantime, many are asking what it will take to give the topic
    the critical mass necessary for political action.

*This Day in Climate History  December 10, 1997
<http://youtu.be/Ibl63YlTtI4>- from D.R. Tucker
*

    **December 10, 1997: President Clinton hails the progress UN
    negotiators have made regarding the Kyoto Protocol in brief remarks
    at JFK Airport in New York.   http://youtu.be/Ibl63YlTtI4

*
*             ========================  #### ===========================

        *forward this email,
        * - select a story that interests you, then contact one
        candidate, or one representative in your government, one friend,
        or one neighbor and discuss the issue with them,
        I will add your name to the subscription list email
        contact at theclimate.vote
        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.