[TheClimate.Vote] Daily News brief- Global Warming Issues for voters, candidates and officials June 16, 2016

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Thu Jun 16 11:21:43 EDT 2016

Curated climate news For June 16, 2016

    Growing Up With*Climate Change*
    <http://www.thenation.com/article/growing-up-with-climate-change/>

The Nation. 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

My  generation will be the first to have lived an entire lifetime in a
climate changed world. We witnessed the first climate impacts. We will
experience the worst. We were born into this crisis and did nothing to
cause it. Everything that we know and love—from our backyards to the
existence of Planet Earth—is threatened...This is a generation unlike
any other.*...Tolkein: “I wish it need not have happened in my time,”
said Frodo.**“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see
such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is
what to do with the time that is given us.”
*

    U.N. Weather Agency Says*Climate*Records Are 'Cause For Alarm' | The
    Weather Channel
    <https://weather.com/news/climate/news/united-nations-weather-agency-warning>

The Weather Channel 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

NASA's announcement this week that the planet had its eighth consecutive
warmest month on record was quickly followed by a harsh warning from a
United Nations*climate*official. World Meteorological
Organization*Climate*Director Dr. David Carlson said ...

    Texas and France Split on*Climate Science*
    <http://billmoyers.com/story/deluge-texas-france-split-climate-science/>

BillMoyers.com 	 -‎12 hours ago‎

Plenty, to be sure, but given that the recent deluge is the topic du
jour, what's most interesting are the diametrically opposite views
French and Lone Star State officials hold about
the*climate-change*connection. ... Texas is getting pummeled... A
September 2013 survey conducted by the Yale Project on Climate Change
Communication found that 70 percent of Texans accept the fact that
global warming is happening and more than 50 percent want local, state
and federal officials to do more to address it.

    *Aerosols*strengthen storm clouds, lead to extreme weather
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160613153420.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎12 hours ago‎

The research, led by scientists from The University of Texas at Austin
Jackson School of Geosciences, looked at satellite data from 2,430
convective cloud systems and found that*aerosols*can help increase the
lifespans of convective cloud systems*...An abundance of aerosol
particles in the atmosphere can increase the lifespans of large storm
clouds by delaying rainfall, making the clouds grow larger and live
longer, and producing more extreme storms, according to new research.
The study is the first to address the impact that aerosol particles have
on the lifespans of large thunderstorms called mesoscale convective
systems.*

    Wall Street Journal Willing to Print Truth About*Climate Change*if
    You Pay Them <https://ecowatch.com/2016/06/15/wsj-climate-change-ads/>

EcoWatch 	 -‎15 hours ago‎

The Wall Street Journal's opinion page is perhaps the most influential
outlet for climate denial and rarely gives its readers accurate
information about how fossil fuels cause*global warming*. The Journal's
written 201 editorials on*climate change*since*.... So while 97 percent
of climate scientists agree fossil fuels cause climate change, readers
of the Journal’s opinion page get the opposite impression as 93 percent
of its content runs counter to the consensus.*

    *Climate change*, not population growth, plays the main role in
    predicting extreme droughts, study reveals
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160613165159.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

The study published in Climatic Change:Common belief states that the
dominant factor determining water scarcity in the next few decades will
be population growth. However, according to a new study, it's climate
change -- not population growth – that plays the main role in predicting
future exposure to extreme droughts..... "The relative importance
of*climate change*and population growth for exposure to future extreme
droughts," looks at the future global and national populations' exposure
to extreme drought, based on an ensemble of 16 climate models and UN
population growth projections...

    France becomes first major nation to ratify UN*climate*deal
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/15/france-becomes-first-major-nation-to-ratify-un-climate-deal>

The Guardian 	 -‎20 hours ago‎

... into force unless at least 55 countries responsible for at least 55%
of global*greenhouse gas*emissions ratify it. So far 17 states - mainly
small island and low-lying coastal countries that are especially
vulnerable to the*sea-level rise*- have*...*

    Hundreds of Scientists Urge Obama to End*Arctic*Drilling for
    'Foreseeable Future'
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/06/15/hundreds-scientists-urge-obama-end-arctic-drilling-foreseeable-future>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

Hundreds of climate scientists are imploring President Barack Obama to
block offshore drilling in*Arctic*waters, writing in an open letter
published Wednesday that "No new oil and gas leasing or exploration
should be allowed in the Chukchi and Beaufort*...*

    Drones help measure impact of*climate change*on Bering Sea
    <http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/06/15/Drones-help-measure-impact-of-climate-change-on-Bering-Sea/4351465992521/>

UPI.com 	 -‎18 hours ago‎

But the Bering Sea is showing strong signs of*climate change*. The sea
ice doesn't reach as far south as it once did and the seasonal melt is
starting earlier in the spring.

              ========================  ####
===============================

    Links are gleaned from various internet news sources by Richard
    Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for
    citizens and responsible governments of all levels.

        The new .VOTE domain is designed to help voters, elected
        officials, governments, candidates, citizens and organizations
        exchange information   .VOTE and .VOTO sites are designed to
        support more honest political discourse.

        This domain must be used for democratic and election purposes
        and cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. Audits will
        be performed regularly to ensure compliance with the policies.

    Forward this email to your representatives and candidates  and you
    may subscribe/unsubscribe at
    https://pairlist10.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/theclimate.voteThe list
    membership is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted
    to this mailing list.