[TheClimate.Vote] Nov 6, , 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sun Nov 6 07:01:02 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  November 6, 2016

/

    Republican Kelly Ayotte Lost Millions of Dollars by Defying Koch
    Brothers on*Climate Change*
    <https://theintercept.com/2016/11/05/republican-kelly-ayotte-lost-millions-of-dollars-by-defying-koch-brothers-on-climate-change/>

The Intercept 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Ayotte is the only Republican senator in a competitive race who
    acknowledges humans are behind*climate change*and who backs
    President Obama's plan to cut*greenhouse gas*emissions. Her stance
    came at a cost: millions of dollars in lost funding from the ...

*(computer game) 'The Voter Suppression Trail'
<http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/01/opinion/voting-suppression-videogame.html?_r=0>*
*(browser-based)
<http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/01/opinion/voting-suppression-videogame.html?_r=0>*

    ...Find out if your vote can survive the great, flawed adventure of
    American democracy.   "It's pretty much spot-on."  and  "I learned
    more from 5 minutes with this game than 5 essays on voting in  the
    US."
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/01/opinion/voting-suppression-videogame.html?_r=0

    Nicholas Stern: cost of*global warming*'is worse than I feared'
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/06/nicholas-stern-climate-change-review-10-years-on-interview-decisive-years-humanity>

The Guardian 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    A lot has happened since Nicholas Stern, then a permanent secretary
    at the Treasury, produced his landmark review of the impact
    of*climate change*10 years ago. His work was quickly recognised as
    the definitive account of the economic dangers posed to to the
    planet by global warming....Since then, global temperatures have
    risen to record levels...In his report, published in October 2006,
    Stern warned that the cost of inaction would be far greater for
    future generations than the costs of actions taken today. "With
    hindsight, I now realise that I underestimated the risks. I should
    have been much stronger in what I said in the report about the costs
    of inaction. I underplayed the dangers.".... Arctic summer sea ice
    has continued to shrink, as have many major land-based ice
    sheets.... low-lying coastal areas, such as south Florida and parts
    of Bangladesh,... more flooding as sea levels have
    risen....Scientists have begun to link extreme weather events to the
    planet’s changing climate, while animal and plant species are
    gradually moving towards the poles. So,...is Stern plunged in
    despair over our prospects? Not quite. While the picture is
    certainly grim, the world’s top climate economist still believes
    there are grounds for modest optimism..."To behave in an
    unpredictable way, as the government did last year, is to be really
    damaging to investment," says Stern.... "It was the honesty of the
    delegates’ awareness of the nature of the problem and the speed of
    the agreement’s ratification that has given me most hope. We have a
    lot to do to limit carbon emissions to an effective level. I am
    confident that it is possible to achieve that, though I cannot say
    that I am confident it will happen."

*Giant snowballs appear on Russian beach in Siberia - BBC News
<http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37883003>*

    (Ten days ago)...(sizes). range from the size of a tennis ball to
    almost 1m (3ft) across.  A strange and beautiful sight greeted
    locals in the Gulf of Ob, in northwest Siberia, after thousands of
    natural snowballs formed on the beach....An 11-mile (18km) stretch
    of coast was covered in the icy spheres....They result from a rare
    environmental process where small pieces of ice form, are rolled by
    wind and water, and end up as giant snowballs.  ..Locals in the
    village of Nyda, which lies on the Yamal Peninsula just above the
    Arctic Circle, say they have never seen anything to compare to
    them....A similar phenomenon was witnessed in the Gulf of Finland in
    December 2014, and on Lake Michigan in December 2015, the
    http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0797-anyone-for-a-snowball-fight/
    website said. ..Pictures at: Anyone for a snowball fight?
    <http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0797-anyone-for-a-snowball-fight/>

    Clinton Forwarded Daughter Email Chain Most Likely
    About*Climate*Talks
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/05/us/politics/clinton-emails.html>

New York Times 	 -‎15 hours ago‎

    WASHINGTON - Hillary Clinton forwarded a chain of emails in 2009 to
    her daughter, Chelsea, that included information, most likely
    about*climate*talks, that the State Department later declared to be
    classified, according to a new batch of emails*...The timing of the
    chain and the people copied on the emails almost certainly meant
    that it was related to the Copenhagen climate change talks, which
    culminated that day in December 2009. During the conference, Mrs.
    Clinton and President Obama crashed a meeting of officials from
    major emerging economies and extracted an agreement to monitor
    global carbon emissions, which rescued the negotiations.*

    Pence's Stance on Climate Change - FactCheck.org
    <https://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/pences-stance-on-climate-change/>

FactCheck.org 	 -‎Nov 3, 2016‎

    Tim Kaine has misrepresented Mike Pence's current stance on climate
    change, making it a regular talking point in his campaign speeches.

    Clean Energy Has Arrived; Corporate*Climate*Disclosure Approaching
    <http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2016/11/04/white-house-official-clean-energy-has-arrived/>

Forbes 	 -‎Nov 4, 2016‎

    And companies representing most of the world's capital realize it,
    said Ali Zaidi, associate director for natural resources, energy,
    and science at OMB, which watchdogs*climate*risk for the
    government's $440 billion in annual purchases. ... More than 5*...*

    Why Republicans Still Reject the Science of*Global Warming*
    <http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/why-republicans-still-reject-the-science-of-global-warming-w448023>

RollingStone.com 	 -‎Nov 3, 2016‎

    "It has always been amazing to me that the Republicans as a party
    have taken the view that*climate change*- if it even exists - is not
    caused by man-made pollutants, and it's not really much of a
    problem," Waxman says.

    The Muslim world has to take*climate*action
    <http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/11/muslim-world-climate-action-161103101248390.html>

Aljazeera.com 	 -‎Nov 4, 2016‎

    On the other hand, many Muslim-majority countries continue to
    contribute to*climate change*by burning fossil fuels such as coal,
    gas and oil in copious amounts.....following an initial August 2015
    declaration
    <http://islamicclimatedeclaration.org/islamic-declaration-on-global-climate-change/>
    from leading Muslim thinkers calling on all followers of Islam to
    lead the way to a fossil fuel-free world powered entirely by
    renewable energy, April 2016 saw the birth of the first ever Global
    Muslim Climate Network (GMCN) - a coalition of Muslim climate groups
    including Islamic Relief Worldwide, Islamic Foundation for Ecology
    and Environmental Sciences, GreenFaith, academic experts, Islamic
    scholars and philanthropists that have rallied together to tackle
    climate change

    Big Oil Pledges $1 Billion to Fight*Climate Change*
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/big-oil-pledges-1-billion-to-fight-climate-change-20848>

Climate Central 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    Some of the world's biggest oil companies, including Saudi Aramco
    and Royal Dutch Shell, pledged on Friday to invest $1 billion to
    develop*climate*-friendly technologies as a global deal to wean the
    world off oil came into force. The Oil and Gas*Climate* (OGCI),
    which also includes Total, BP, Eni, Repsol, Statoil, CNPC, Pemex and
    Reliance Industries, launched the Climate Investments fund which
    will invest in technologies to reduce carbon emissions but which
    will also help an increase gas use....The companies pledged to use a
    large share of the $1 billion for speeding up carbon capture, use
    and storage (CCUS) in gas-fired power plants and toward reducing
    leakages of methane, one of the most polluting greenhouse gases.

*This day in Climate History November 6, 1990*
<http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/108237>*:
<http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/108237> From D.R. Tucker
----------*

    November 6, 1990: In a speech to the 2nd World Climate Conference in
    Geneva, Margaret Thatcher declares,"The danger of global warming is
    as yet unseen, but real enough for us to make changes and
    sacrifices, so that we do not live at the expense of future
    generations.....The real dangers arise because climate change is
    combined with other problems of our age: for instance the population
    explosion; — the deterioration of soil fertility; — increasing
    pollution of the sea; — intensive use of fossil fuel; — and
    destruction of the world's forests, particularly those in the
    tropics. ....But the need for more research should not be an excuse
    for delaying much needed action now.....We are all aware of the
    immense challenge. The enormity of the task is not a matter for
    pessimism. The problems which science has created science can solve,
    provided we heed its lesson....Just as philosophies, religions and
    ideals know no boundaries, so the protection of our planet itself
    involves rich and poor, North and South, East and West. All of us
    have to play our part if we are to succeed. And succeed we must for
    the sake of this and future
    generations."http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/108237

        *forward this email,
        * - select a story that interests you, then contact one
        candidate, or one representative in your government, one friend,
        or one neighbor and discuss the issue with them,
        I will add your name to the subscription list email
        contact at theclimate.vote
        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.