[TheClimate.Vote] Nov. 5, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sat Nov 5 10:16:27 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  November 5, 2016/

    How Donald Trump Helped the Paris*Climate*Deal Become Law Ahead of
    Schedule
    <http://fortune.com/2016/11/04/how-donald-trump-helped-the-paris-climate-deal-become-law-ahead-of-schedule/>

Fortune 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    The U.N. global*climate*deal known as the Paris Agreement came into
    legal force on Friday, nearly a year after dozens of countries
    agreed to it in marathon negotiations in the French capital...

    Markets are already pricing in climate change. Business can't afford
    <https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/04/the-paris-climate-agreement-is-a-game-changer-and-business-risks-being-left-behind>

The Guardian 	 -‎9 hours ago‎

    Legal advice issued this week warns directors risk personal
    liability for breach of duty if they fail to properly consider the
    impact of climate change....'The mindset of business leaders and
    regulators around the world has shifted - the business and financial
    risks climate change poses are not only real and ...I was struck
    there by how clearly directors now see this challenge. Hutley’s
    opinion confirms we now have little choice but to understand how
    important climate change and sustainability risks are for us
    personally and for our companies, and act accordingly. The question
    directors should be, and now are, asking themselves is not "should
    we be considering this at all" but "how do we make sure we’re doing
    this well enough?"

    (Canadian) Doctors Are Proving*Climate Change*Is A Health Risk
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/courtney-howard/climate-change-health-risk_b_12787208.html>

Huffington Post Canada 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    The Lancet, one of the world's most respected medical journals,
    points out that based on current emissions trajectories, temperature
    rises over the next 85 years may bring such consequences in terms
    of*sea-level rise*, malnutrition, conflict and other*destabilizing
    factors as to be *"*incompatible with an organised global
    community.*"*...Climate change has been recognized by the World
    Health Organization (WHO) as the biggest health threat of the 21st
    century.....for Canada?...Canada has already seen increased
    wildfires resulting in smoke-related health impacts and stressful
    evacuations; an expansion in the spread of Lyme Disease; and food
    security and mental health challenges related to rapid changes in
    the far North, which is two to three degrees Celsius warmer than it
    was in the 1950s....Climate change is no longer a suspected
    diagnosis. It's a health emergency that is already causing systemic
    damage to the health and well-being of many around the
    world....Consequences reach beyond borders: climate-related drought
    and crop failure has been implicated as an exacerbating factor in
    the conflict in Syria.*

    The destructive effects of supercooled liquid water on airplane
    safety and*climate*models
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161104102535.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Supercooled water sounds smooth enough to be served at espresso
    bars, but instead it hangs out in Earth's atmosphere, unpredictably
    freezing on airplane wings and hampering the simulations of climate
    theorists....The idea is to gain a large dataset about it,
    uncollected elsewhere, to fine-tune the accuracy of*climate*models
    and reduce the number of ice-delayed flights and
    crashes....supercooled liquid water - the bane of airplane wings and
    climate theorists -...For climate models, there's not much data
    about how much liquid and ice are in the Arctic clouds, when and
    where clouds form, the altitudes at which they hover or how long
    they last. Clouds containing a lot of liquid in the Arctic are
    important, as they can act as blankets to warm the surface. ...
    clouds persist for days even though they contain all three phases of
    water -- liquid, ice and supercooled.

    Pop culture rarely addresses*climate change*. This 1993 album is a
    welcome exception.
    <http://www.vox.com/culture/2016/11/4/12821830/pop-culture-climate-change-kamakiriad-donald-fagen>

Vox 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

Donald Fagen’s Kamakiriad recognizes how complicated a problem climate
change is, intentionally or not....Granted, the international dialogue
about*global warming*is louder than it's ever been, with some truly
major developments and innovations happening in the past year alone....
Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mslj4wVS3g "worthy of anthem status"
(playlist collection)  Over 80 music pieces about global warming

    Dear Future President: 3 Youth Activists on*Climate Change*
    <http://www.teenvogue.com/story/climate-change-dear-future-president-youth-activists-on-alternative-energy>

TeenVogue.com 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    Welcome to our new web series, Dear Future President, where we
    invited young activists and influencers to come and sit in YouTube
    Space New York's mock "Oval Office" and have an imaginary
    conversation with the next head of our country...By the year 2040,
    our ice sheets in the North Pole are going to be gone. Gone! A
    pretty alarming fact, no? And then, there's the matter of oil
    drilling and power plants — both of which directly affect the health
    of humans. Needless to say, something needs to be done — and it
    needs to be done sooner rather than later. Thankfully, though, there
    are people in our generation who get this — and who care
    passionately about relaying this to the next leader of our country.
    As 16-year-old Xiuhtezcatl Martinez of Earth Guardians (a powerhouse
    group of young environmental activists) puts it in the video above,
    "We don't have decades in the future to plan and to take action and
    to slowly implement climate recovery plans."

    U Albany to host writers of books on*climate*anxiety
    <http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-features/article/UAlbany-to-host-writers-of-books-on-climate-10593233.php>

Albany Times Union 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    As stories go,*climate change*is about as big as they come, the kind
    of meaty, compelling topic many writers would want to take a crack
    at..... University at Albany Art Museum's exhibition ''Future
    Perfect: Picturing the Anthropocene,'' which, in the museum's words,
    ''features artists who explore our conflicted relationship to the
    natural world.'' (The exhibit is on display through Dec. 10.)....In
    his book ''How to Cool the Planet: Geoengineering and the Audacious
    Quest to Fix Earth's Climate,'' Goodell examines the efforts of
    scientists who are working on a sort of environmental version of
    football's ''hail Mary'' desperation pass. In the event of a rapidly
    moving climate crisis, adherents of geoengineering would deploy
    extreme methods to bring about rapid cooling, such as machinery that
    would suck carbon dioxide from the air and artificial volcanoes that
    would spray heat-reflecting particles into the atmosphere.

    Why Republicans Still Reject the Science of*Global Warming*
    <http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/why-republicans-still-reject-the-science-of-global-warming-w448023>

RollingStone.com 	 -‎Nov 3, 2016‎

    "It has always been amazing to me that the Republicans as a party
    have taken the view that*climate change*- if it even exists - is not
    caused by man-made pollutants, and it's not really much of a
    problem," Waxman says....In fact, about the only place left on Earth
    where lawmakers openly and avidly deny the science of climate change
    is the U.S. Congress. More to the point, says Sen. Brian Schatz, a
    Democrat from Hawaii and a leader on climate policy, "There is only
    one major political party in the world that denies the existence of
    climate change. And it happens to be in charge of the most important
    political body in the world."...Republicans cloaked their agenda in
    the language of "deregulation" and "balancing the budget"; a New
    York Times editorial called it a "masterpiece of legislative
    subterfuge." It was only natural, then, that in 2000, the GOP picked
    as its standard-bearers George W. Bush, the scion of an oil-money
    family, and Dick Cheney, a former CEO of an oil-services company....
    Inglis, for his part, is somewhat more optimistic. He says he
    believes it's only a matter of time before the ravages of climate
    change – flooded cities, resource conflicts, extreme heat in the
    summers and unbearable cold in the winters – persuade his fellow
    Republicans to emerge from hiding. "It's an unsustainable position,"
    he says. "We're gonna change. The question is whether we change fast
    enough."

*(Australia) Company directors must consider and disclose climate change
risks to escape liability... <http://cpd.org.au/2016/10/directorsduties/>*

    Key findings of the opinion include:
    -Climate change risks would be regarded as foreseeable by courts,
    and relevant to a director’s duty of care and diligence to the
    extent that those risks intersect with the interests of the company
    (for example, by presenting corporate opportunity or risks to the
    company or its business model).
    -Company directors are not legally restricted from taking into
    account climate change and related economic, environmental and
    social sustainability risks, where those risks are, or may be,
    material to the interests of the company.
    -Company directors certainly can, and in some cases should be
    considering the impact on their business of climate change risks –
    and that directors who fail to do so now could be found liable for
    breaching their duty of care and diligence in the future.
       "it is likely to be only a matter of time before we see
    litigation against a director who has failed to perceive, disclose
    or take steps in relation to a foreseeable climate-related risk that
    can be demonstrated to have caused harm to a company."

    Kinder Morgan President Isn't Sure If Humans Caused*Global Warming*
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/11/03/kinder-morgan-ian-anderson_n_12791366.html>

Huffington Post Canada 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

    VANCOUVER - The president of the company that hopes to build the
    $6.8-billion Trans Mountain pipeline expansion says he doesn't know
    whether humans are contributing to*climate change*. Kinder Morgan
    Canada president Ian Anderson told the ..

    Clean Energy Has Arrived; Corporate*Climate*Disclosure Approaching
    <http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2016/11/04/white-house-official-clean-energy-has-arrived/>

Forbes 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    And companies representing most of the world's capital realize it,
    said Ali Zaidi, associate director for natural resources, energy,
    and science at OMB, which watchdogs*climate*risk for the
    government's $440 billion in annual purchases. ... More than 5*...*

*Cruising into the Arctic’s Open Arms
<https://www.hakaimagazine.com/article-long/cruising-arctics-open-arms>*

    As sea ice changes and the Northwest Passage becomes accessible, a
    luxury cruise ship descends on the small community of
    Ulukhaktok.....I'm reminded of travel writer Paul Theroux and his
    book Ghost Train to the Eastern Star, the story of his epic journey
    through a world in social transition. Rewarding travel, Theroux
    writes, always means relying on strangers, and "putting yourself
    into the hands of people you don’t know and trusting them."
    Sometimes, it’s all you can do. Yet for the people of Ulukhaktok, it
    seems reversed. They are opening up to these visitors and trusting
    them—a group that is unusual in its size and mode of transport—with
    their culture and their land.....The buyers, who shelled out
    anywhere from US $20,000 to $125,000 for a berth on this historic
    voyage, are also happy to bring back a memory of Ulukhaktok. It’s
    the whole thing—the Northwest Passage, the remote communities, the
    ship—that inspired so many to dig deep into their pockets for the
    trip. The entertainment on board was aimed to prepare the tourists:
    one guest from Miami, tanned with blonde hair cascading over her
    white visor, enthusiastically describes the show a few nights
    earlier with performers dressed all in white and fake snow
    fluttering from the ceiling. The show was meant as a hint at the
    Arctic adventures that awaited them.....The passengers in their red
    jackets experienced a place that was likely entirely different from
    anything they had seen before. Yet, for the moment, it’s only the
    economic exchange that’s the quantifiable part of the brief union.
    The visitors had hardly enough time to do more than check a
    destination off a bucket list. It was on the luxury cruise ship—the
    first to visit the Arctic—where they spent most of their time.
    "Luxury," says Theroux, "is the enemy of observation, a costly
    indulgence that induces such a good feeling that you notice nothing."

    John Kerry plans Antarctica trip to combat*climate change*
    <http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20161104/john-kerry-plans-antarctica-trip-to-combat-climate-change>

Charleston Gazette-Mail (subscription) 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Secretary of State John Kerry speaks at the State Department in
    Washington, Friday, Nov. 4, 2016. Call it people-to-penguin diplomacy.

<http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=27355>*This day in Climate
History November 5, 1965*