[TheClimate.Vote] Nov 4, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Fri Nov 4 09:49:30 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming November 4, 2016 /

*The world is racing to stop climate change. But the math still doesn’t
add up
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/11/03/the-world-is-racing-to-stop-climate-change-but-the-math-still-doesnt-add-up/?wpisrc=nl_green&wpmm=1>*

    Washington Post - The entire globe is moving fast to stop climate
    change. The Paris climate agreement enters into legal force on
    Friday, and then shortly afterwards comes a first global meeting to
    start implementing it in Marrakech, Morocco. ...., because of the
    unforgiving nature of carbon math — once you emit a ton of carbon
    dioxide, you can't get it back, and it accumulates steadily in the
    atmosphere — there is exceedingly little time to change course and
    increase ambitions....."It's just too little, and it's not happening
    quickly enough," said Jacqueline McGlade, UNEP's chief scientist.
    "If we don’t see emissions peaking by 2020, then the chances of
    getting to 1.5 degrees is vanishingly small."... this doesn’t mean
    there is no hope — it just means that the world has to do massively
    more, and it has to do it quickly. Every year, we bank more carbon
    emissions in the atmosphere. Every year we fail to bend the curve
    sharply downwards, it becomes that much harder to get on the right
    course....emissions have to peak and start to decline by 2020 — just
    four short years from now — or else the 1.5 degree target could be gone.

    The Paris Agreement on*Climate Change*Is Official. Now What?
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/business/energy-environment/paris-climate-change-agreement-official-now-what.html>

New York Times 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    PARIS -When the landmark Paris Agreement to address climate change
    officially goes into effect on Friday, the Eiffel Tower and Arc de
    Triomphe will be floodlit green to celebrate the occasion. Now comes
    the hard work: figuring out the details....Top energy policy makers
    and corporate leaders caution that it will be challenging to meet
    even the deal’s modest goals to reduce planet-warming emissions of
    greenhouse gases....Many companies have not even figured out yet how
    much greenhouse gas they emit, much less made plans to curb these
    emissions. Rapid technological advances in areas like electric cars
    are not enough to stop the world’s long climb in oil consumption,
    let alone reverse it.

    Why Republicans Still Reject the Science of*Global Warming*
    <http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/why-republicans-still-reject-the-science-of-global-warming-w448023>

RollingStone.com 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    "It has always been amazing to me that the Republicans as a party
    have taken the view that*climate change*- if it even exists - is not
    caused by man-made pollutants, and it's not really much of a
    problem," Waxman says.

*Poo power: Dutch dairy industry launches €150m biogas project
<https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/nov/02/netherlands-europe-dairy-industry-agriculture-biogas-cows-manure-poo-power>*

    Will a scheme to turn cow manure into biogas help the Netherlands
    lose its reputation as the ‘bad guy’ of Europe when it comes to
    agricultural emissions?....The process is simple: the dung is broken
    down by bacteria into biogas in an anaerobic digester. Other
    machines then extract nitrates and phosphates to make fertiliser,
    leaving organic matter, which is spread on the Heegs'
    farm....Masterminded by FrieslandCampina, the country’s largest
    dairy collective which buys milk from 13,500 of the Netherlands'
    17,000 dairy farmers, the project has established an initial target
    of getting 1,000 large farms across the country to make power from
    cow manure within four years....Farmers lease an anaerobic digester
    and are given a 12 year fixed price for the biogas they produce,
    subsidised by the Dutch government. To date, the economic affairs
    department has committed €150m (£135m) to the cow power
    programme....*"*Before, we just spread [dung] on the land. Now I
    process it, get energy from it and then fertiliser. This way, we
    make everything useful," says 27-year-old Pieter Heeg. He expects to
    make €10,000 a year selling excess energy to Jumpstart, a new
    cooperative launched by FrieslandCampina to help farmers through the
    process of leasing and installing an anaerobic digester....About 10%
    of the Netherlands’ greenhouse gas emissions come from agriculture,
    mostly methane as a result of the dairy industry, and the country’s
    livestock produces 74m tonnes of manure a year, according to
    FrieslandCampina.

*Explore estimated solar potential of your community
<https://www.google.com/get/sunroof/data-explorer/>*

    Today, Google announced Project Sunroof’s new data explorer tool
    <https://www.google.com/get/sunroof/data-explorer/>  a tool that
    allows the public to map the solar potential of entire cities and
    communities, not just specific buildings.....Customized savings
    estimate, Solar savings are calculated using roof size and shape,
    shaded roof areas, local weather, local electricity prices, solar
    costs, and estimated incentives over time. Using a sample address,
    take a look at the detailed estimate Project Sunroof can give you...
    1  Search for your home  We use Google Earth imagery to analyze your
    roof shape and local weather patterns to create a personalized solar
    plan....
    2  Personalize your solar analysis.   Adjust your electric bill to
    fine-tune your savings estimate and the recommended number of solar
    panels for your home....
    3  Compare finance options..  Compare loan, lease, and purchase
    options for your solar panels based on your results....
    4  Contact solar providers..See a list of local solar installers and
    ask for estimates from your top choices.
    *also tool from Mapdwell, has higher resolution (but less area
    mapped) than google:* <https://www.mapdwell.com/en/sola>
    https://www.mapdwell.com/en/solar Work with the Sun ... Solar
    System™ is the best solar mapping tool in the world. Technology
    developed at MIT...The Mapdwell Project is about enabling
    communities with information in order to drive sustainable
    practices, community awareness, energy efficiency, and smart
    development through the aggregate effort of individuals. Mapdwell
    proposes an organic, bottom-up, collective approach to
    sustainability by delivering accurate, open, and unbiased
    information to increase education and spread knowledge.

    ExxonMobil tells groups to preserve records of*climate*case
    communications
    <http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/exxonmobil-tells-groups-to-preserve-records-of-climate-case-communications/article_3054fabf-fd58-5b7e-9e4f-37fae272eab4.html>

STLtoday.com 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    Lawyers for ExxonMobil have told a variety of non-governmental
    organizations to preserve all communications regarding*climate
    change*investigations with a sweeping array of other groups and
    individuals - including members of the press. The letters*...*

    The oceans are suffocating:*Climate change*is causing low oxygen
    levels
    <http://www.salon.com/2016/11/03/the-oceans-are-suffocating-climate-change-is-causing-low-oxygen-levels_partner/>

Salon 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

    Global*climate change*produces many effects - warming air energizes
    the atmosphere and intensifies storms; warmer water expands and
    raises sea level; storage of more carbon dioxide in the oceans is
    acidifying large realms.
    *CPA Newsletter October 2016 - If The Oceans Die, We Die
    <http://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/news/newsletters/194-cpa-newsletter-november-2016-if-the-oceans-die-we-die>*
    Humanity fails to grasp that the ocean ecosystem is a planetary life
    support system.....The literal disaster story is widely known:
    over-fishing, pollution, heating, acidification and reef loss,
    microbeads and vast gyres of plastic.  It is the Anthropocene, writ
    large and ugly. President Obama has spoken on the subject, pointing
    out that protecting the oceans is essential in the struggle to limit
    climate change.  He has also acted to create protected areas in both
    the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.  And in the past week there has
    been the announcement of the world’s largest marine park in the Ross
    Sea, Antarctica. Such action can be likened to re-wilding on land –
    manageable and perhaps ark-like steps to preserve and restore areas
    of health and biodiversity, amidst destruction.  Noah’s Ark is a
    powerful survival myth which has undergone hundreds of variations
    since the Old Testament story.... http://climatepsychologyalliance.org/

*As President Obama Hints At Dakota Access Possible Reroute, Tensions
Swirl at Standing Rock
<http://www.desmogblog.com/2016/11/02/president-obama-dakota-access-reroute>*

      President Barack Obama,...said that the U.S. Army Corps of
    Engineers may consider a reroute of the hotly contested Dakota
    Access Pipeline, one which would presumably not cross sacred Native
    American sites. The Obama administration is currently holding
    consultations with tribes across the US, and Obama alluded to the
    fact that the consultation process will "play out for several more
    weeks" before the administration takes action....Obama explained
    that "right now the Army Corps is examining whether there are ways
    we can reroute this pipeline, so we're going to let it play out for
    several more weeks and determine whether or not this can be resolved
    in a way that is properly attentive to the tradition of First
    Americans." He also commented on First Amendment concerns, calling
    for restraint on the part of law enforcement and continued
    non-violence for protestors....The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe — whose
    land sits along the proposed Dakota Access route along the Missouri
    River and Lake Oahe — praised what it described as Obama's
    "commitment to protect our sacred lands, our water, and the water of
    17 million others." The Tribe also called for a full environmental
    review, as opposed to the previous expedited permit review it
    received from the Army Corps.

*NASA's Antarctic Flyover Reveals Melting Continent
<http://www.nbcnews.com/slideshow/fly-over-country-stunning-aerial-views-antarctica-n676866>*

    For the past eight years, NASA's Operation IceBridge has been
    tracking how polar ice is responding to climate change....Scientists
    studying the data collected on the thickness and shape of Antarctic
    snow and ice believe that the West Antarctic Ice Sheet may be in
    irreversible decline....humanity can seem like an insignificant
    development in face of these endless landscapes. The paradox,
    though, is that as vast and overwhelming as the Antarctic may be,
    humans may be instrumental in the changes affecting it.....NASA
    aircrew members work inside the cockpit of an IceBridge DC-8
    research airplane on Oct. 27 while in flight off the coast of
    Antarctica....Onboard the plane is a laser altimeter that records
    minute changes in the height of the ice surface from one year to the
    next. Accompanying the laser are three radars that analyze the
    elevation and layer composition of the snow and ice, as well as the
    shape of the land underneath.

*This day in Climate History November 4, 1995 *
<http://www.cnn.com/US/9511/clinton_radio/11-05/c_script.html>*:  From
D.R. Tucker  -----------------*

    November 4, 1995: In his weekly radio address, President Clinton
    declares:...."Because we believe that what God created we must not
    destroy, each of us has a sacred obligation to pass on a clean
    planet to future generations...."For nearly three decades, all
    Americans have agreed we must do what we have to protect our
    environment. And America is cleaner and healthier because of
    it...."Since our environmental laws were put in place, toxic
    emissions by factories have been cut in half; lead levels in
    children's blood have dropped 70 percent; Lake Erie, for example,
    once declared dead, is now teeming with fish...."But all this
    progress is now at risk. In the last few months, a small army of
    lobbyists for polluters has descended on Capitol Hill, mounting a
    full-scale assault on our environmental and public health
    protections. And this Congress has actually allowed these lobbyists
    to sit down and rewrite important environmental laws to weaken our
    safeguards.".....And now they're trying to use the budget bill to
    further weaken these protections. It's an incredible fact that this
    Republican budget actually singles out the environment and its
    protections for extra cuts. This budget will mean dirtier water,
    more smog, more illness, and a diminished quality of life....Here's
    how. It's plain that there are two ways to legalize pollution. You
    can change the laws or just stop enforcing them by firing the
    enforcers. The pollution lobby knows it could never repeal half our
    environmental protections, so the Republican budget cuts the
    resources for environmental enforcement in half. Quite simply, it
    just pulls the cop from the environmental beat....The budget also
    would cut off money now going to communities to invest to keep their
    drinking water clean. And the cuts mean that toxic waste clean-ups
    across America would slow to a crawl....The Republican leadership
    even tried to slip 17 special interest provisions into the spending
    bill, loopholes that would end enforcement of the Clean Air and the
    Clean Water Acts, let more dangerous arsenic into our drinking
    water, allow raw sewage on our beaches.
    ...http://www.cnn.com/US/9511/clinton_radio/11-05/c_script.html

        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.