[TheClimate.Vote] Nov 3, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Thu Nov 3 10:39:35 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming - November 3, 2016/

    How a Changing*Climate*Is Shaping a Leaf Peeper's Paradise
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/03/science/climate-change-leaves.html>

New York Times 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    *Climate change*is responsible, scientists say. As the seasonal
    change creeps later into the year, not only here but all across the
    northern United States and Canada, the glorious colors will last
    longer, they predict - a rare instance where*global**...*

**(Interactive Map) See your city on sea level rise
<http://seeing.climatecentral.org/#12/40.7127/-74.0060?show=lockinAnimated&level=3&unit=feet&pois=hide>*
*

    **Explore our Surging Seas Seeing Choices map — even Leonardo
    DiCaprio is doing it....Mapping Choices presents a split-screen view
    of some of the same maps shown here, for comparing scenarios. From
    Mapping Choices, click on “Learn About This Map” for more detailed
    information about the science and sources behind both Mapping
    Choices and this map. ... Most of the sea level rise mapped here
    comes from the melting and decay of Greenland and Antarctic ice
    sheets.   The sea levels shown in this map come from the center of a
    range of scientifically assessed possibilities; the true outcome
    could be more or less severe....The elevation data used inside the
    United States is compiled by NOAA and has high resolution and
    accuracy......This map shows sea levels locked in by different
    amounts of carbon pollution, according to recent scientific
    research. If we burn enough fossil fuels to heat the planet by
    4°C—continuing a path of unchecked pollution—we could drown coastal
    cities worldwide... If we make a rapid transition to a global clean
    energy economy and achieve the main goal of the Paris Agreement,
    limiting warming to 2°C, some cities will be saved. .... it is
    sobering to map the challenges following after 1°C of warming, a
    level we have just passed....According to Climate Central’s
    analysis, 470 to 760 million people (central finding, 627 million)
    live on land that would be condemned by 4°C warming. The number
    drops by more than half for 2°C, and more than half again for
    1.5°C....These two efforts evaluate how much warming we can
    currently expect in light of the national pledges made at Paris and
    the policies developed since then. http://sealevel.climatecentral.org/

    NASA/JPL: "*Sea-Level Rise*Underestimated"
    <http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2016/11/nasajpl-sea-level-rise-underestimated-1.html>

The Daily Galaxy (blog) 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    A new NASA study suggests that we've underestimated the amount
    of*sea level rise*that occurred in the Northern Hemisphere during
    the 20th century, finding that historical records have miscalculated
    the increase by as much as 5 to 28 percent in certain ...

*
**Army Corps considering pipeline reroute — Obama*

    Ellen M. Gilmer, E&E reporter
    Published: Wednesday, November 2, 2016
    Federal officials are considering whether to reroute the contentious
    Dakota Access pipeline, President Obama said yesterday.... In an
    interview with the video news organization NowThis News, Obama said
    he is closely monitoring tribes' and environmentalists' widespread
    opposition to the oil pipeline and wants to find a way to
    "accommodate sacred lands."...  "We're monitoring this closely and,
    you know, I think as a general rule, my view is that there is a way
    for us to accommodate sacred lands of Native Americans," Obama said
    in the interview, shared last night on "The Last Word with Lawrence
    O'Donnell" on MSNBC....He added that the Army Corps of Engineers is
    looking at rerouting options that would be "attentive" to tribal
    tradition.... "And, you know, I think that right now the Army Corps
    is examining whether there are ways to reroute this pipeline in a
    way," he said. "So we're going to let it play out for several more
    weeks and determine whether or not this can be resolved in a way
    that I think is properly attentive to the traditions of the first
    Americans."

*
(YouTube video ) 10 Insane Solutions to China's Deadly Smog | China
Uncensored <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdgU5-CcyA>*

    Chinese officials concoct ridiculous plans to try and remedy the
    nation's deadly air pollution....4000 people die per day from air
    pollution in China. ..Well, there are a lot of...um,
    brilliant...ideas... And here are 10 of my favorites.
    # 10 Banning Stuff...
    # 9  Vacuum it up!...
    # 8 A drone will work, right?...
    # 7 Let’s try shutting down more things....
    # 6 Cover it up!   Problem solved!...
    # 5  No, literally, cover it up.  When the world’s on your case for
    spewing out so much pollution that it even reaches the United
    States, Whaddya gonna do?   Stuff cotton balls into your air
    monitoring equipment.  Because then, how will anyone know there’s
    pollution?  mwhaha.
    #4  Turn on the sprinklers  No, not just any sprinklers. Giant,
    giant ones!  Put them on top of skyscrapers.   It’s like how you’d
    spray water on a baseball diamond to keep the dust down...
    # 3  Conversion—it’s not just for infidels anymore  If coal is the
    problem, then converting it to natural gas must be the solution!
    ...even though it won’t produce the same kind of air pollution as
    coal,  natural gas can "release 36-108% more greenhouse gases than
    coal." It also takes loads of water to convert.  So where should we
    build these?  Obviously in Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia,  where
    there’s almost no more water left. But you know, that was almost a
    real idea....
    # 2  Space Lasers.   To reduce its reliance on dirty coal power,
    China has drawn up plans to build a gigantic solar-powered
    spacecraft.  It would convert solar energy into microwave energy
    that would then be shot down to the Earth like a giant laser beam,
    and then converted to electricity.   What could go wrong with giant
    space lasers?...
    And # 1  Change your thinking!  Why all this negative talk about
    pollution?  You can’t solve it.   So change your perspective!  Party
    mouthpiece CCTV did.  In an article that’s now been removed from the
    Internet,  CCTV editor argued that pollution has many benefits...I
    didn’t even have time to get to the giant floating jellyfish.

    *Climate*Promises Can't Kill Asia's Coal Addiction
    <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-02/asia-s-coal-addiction-seen-growing-despite-promises-on-climate>

Bloomberg 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Asia's demand for coal is likely to increase for years to come even
    though countries including China, Japan and India have agreed on
    steps to limit fossil-fuel pollution damaging the*climate*. That's
    the conclusion an analysis of Bloomberg New Energy*...*

    Indigenous Rights are key to preserving forests,*climate
    change*study finds
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/02/indigenous-rights-forests-climate-change-study>

The Guardian 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    The world's indigenous communities need to be given a bigger role
    in*climate*stabilisation, according to a new study that shows at
    least a quarter of forest carbon is stored on communal land,
    particularly in Brazil....The research by a group of academic
    institutions and environmental NGOs is the most comprehensive effort
    yet to quantify the contribution of traditional forest guardians to
    reduce emissions of greenhouse gases....Authors say the expansion of
    tribal land rights is the most cost-effective way to protect forests
    and sequester carbon – an issue that they hope will receive more
    prominence at the upcoming United Nations climate conference in
    Marrakech

*(YouTube video) Noam Chomsky: The Alien perspective on humanity
<https://youtu.be/h0qdbsE3Jqo?t=15m51s>*

    We meet Noam (and his wife) in his office at MIT in Cambridge. Tilo
    asks Noam to pretend to be an alien for a moment. An alien who looks
    down on Earth. What does he witness? Chomsky explains what the
    objective observer from out of space would see: What is humanity up
    to in the 21st century? Will it be our final century? Are we going
    to survive? What existential dangers are we facing? What's the most
    dangerous organization in human history?.... Tilo and "Alien
    Chomsky" also talk about the American Empire: Is it going to last?
    Is America the exception to the rule of Empires always falling?
    ..."It’s hard to find words to describe....that in the most powerful
    country in world history, the most educated, with major advantages,
    a major political party is saying let’s race to the precipice as
    quickly as possible...And there’s no comment on it. Try to find a
    comment on that fact.  I mean what it really means is that this is
    the most dangerous organization in world history....The Republican
    Party?   Take a look. Is that an exaggeration?"
    https://youtu.be/h0qdbsE3Jqo

*This day in Climate History November 3, 2012 *
<http://climatechangepsychology.blogspot.com/2012/11/chris-hayes-whats-at-stake-with-climate.html>*:
>From D.R. Tucker  -----------------*

       On MSNBC's "Up," Chris Hayes lays out the moral case for action
    on climate change.... "The state cannot eliminate senseless death,
    but it is its duty to reduce its likelihood. It’s a conservative
    insight, really, the idea that government’s job before all else is
    to keep its citizens secure, to protect them. Everything else comes
    after. Lefty that I am, I’m reminded in this moment that it contains
    an undeniable core truth.....And yet here we sit with a political
    system that can barely bring itself to acknowledge or discuss the
    tangible danger climate change poses to us, never mind undertake the
    massive, sustained effort necessary to combat and adapt to
    it....http://video.msnbc.msn.com/up/49672392#49672392....http://climatechangepsychology.blogspot.com/2012/11/chris-hayes-whats-at-stake-with-climate.html

        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.