[TheClimate.Vote] Nov 10, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Thu Nov 10 10:19:29 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  November 10, 2016/

    Physics Doesn't Really Care Who Was Elected
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/physics-climate-election-2016-20862?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+climatecentral%2FdjOO+Climate+Central+-+Full+Feed>

Climate Central 	 -‎35 minutes ago‎

    Climate change does not care about the law of the land in the U.S.
    It cares about the laws of physics. Trump can change laws in the
    U.S. He can't change them in the atmosphere.
    Carbon dioxide passed the 400 parts per million milestone.
    Permanently...
    2016 is going to be the hottest year on record...
    Extreme weather events have become more likely...
    Sea level rise is making flooding more common...
    Arctic sea ice is disappearing. Fast...
    The Antarctic ice sheet is becoming unstable...
    The oceans have been record warm — and it's killing coral...
    Oh, and oceans are also acidifying...

*
Here's Donald Trump's "100 day action plan" for energy and climate
change.
<http://www.readfearn.com/2016/11/heres-donald-trumps-100-day-action-plan-for-energy-and-climate-change-he-wants-to-pull-out-of-the-un-paris-agreement/>*

    He wants to pull out of the UN Paris agreement.
    <http://www.readfearn.com/2016/11/heres-donald-trumps-100-day-action-plan-for-energy-and-climate-change-he-wants-to-pull-out-of-the-un-paris-agreement/>
    hear it spoken by Donald Trump: orsee it on Archive.org.
    <http://web.archive.org/web/20161105192305/https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/an-america-first-energy-plan>

    "Here is my 100-day action plan:
    We're going to rescind all the job-destroying Obama executive
    actions including the Climate Action Plan and the Waters of the U.S.
    rule.
    We're going to save the coal industry and other industries
    threatened by Hillary Clinton's extremist agenda.
    I'm going to ask Trans Canada to renew its permit application for
    the Keystone Pipeline.
    We're going to lift moratoriums on energy production in federal areas
    We're going to revoke policies that impose unwarranted restrictions
    on new drilling technologies. These technologies create millions of
    jobs with a smaller footprint than ever before.
    We're going to cancel the Paris Climate Agreement and stop all
    payments of U.S. tax dollars to U.N. global warming programs.
    Any regulation that is outdated, unnecessary, bad for workers, or
    contrary to the national interest will be scrapped. We will also
    eliminate duplication, provide regulatory certainty, and trust local
    officials and local residents.
    Any future regulation will go through a simple test: is this
    regulation good for the American worker? If it doesn't pass this
    test, the rule will not be approved."
    http://www.readfearn.com/2016/11/heres-donald-trumps-100-day-action-plan-for-energy-and-climate-change-he-wants-to-pull-out-of-the-un-paris-agreement/

*Climate skeptic Trump makes environmentalists at Morocco meeting sweat
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/11/09/climate-skeptic-trump-makes-environmentalists-morocco-meeting-sweat/93558078/>*

    In public, most negotiators and observers attending the Marrakech
    Climate Change Conference put on a brave face, reiterating that the
    momentum established last year in Paris would continue, and
    expressing hope that as president rump may change tact and pursue
    efforts to confront climate change....But informally, there was much
    less optimism....."Donald Trump has the unflattering distinction of
    being the only head of state in the entire world to reject the
    scientific consensus that humans are driving climate change," said
    Michael Brune, the Sierra Club's executive director...."Before, we
    were told our job would be to use the next months to try to push the
    Hillary Clinton administration to do more when it came to climate
    change," she said. "After the election, we were told we would have
    to try to push the Trump administration to do something,
    anything."....Legally, a country can withdraw three years after the
    agreement's entry into force, and then it must wait a year for the
    withdrawal to go into effect. That means a formal withdrawal by the
    U.S. could not happen before 2020, at the end of Trump's four-year
    term....But under the current rules, a country can stay in the Paris
    Agreement but simply ignore its obligations, something several
    observers worry could be the path taken by the unapologetic climate
    skeptic....
    The current talks in Marrakech, through Nov. 18, are to start work
    on a "rule book" that determines how to implement the Paris
    Agreement, including consequences for countries that fail to live up
    to their promises to reduce emissions. Since the rule book will
    become valid only after it is completed, probably in 2018, it will
    not be ready in time to have an impact on any Trump plans...."The
    real disincentive for the U.S. or any other country to simply
    disregard the Paris Agreement is pressure from other countries that
    are playing by the rules," said Alden Meyer, of the U.S.-based Union
    of Concerned Scientists.

*All the Climate Progress Since the Paris Agreement in One Gorgeous
Infographic
<https://nexusmedianews.com/all-the-progress-since-the-paris-agreement-in-one-gorgeous-infographic-199b8f378e72#.gso9rib1z>*

    2016 was a banner year for the fight against climate
    change....What's next for the future of our species? Diplomats are
    meeting again, this time in Marrakech, Morocco. They are expected to
    strengthen the terms of the Paris Agreement and firm up plans to
    curb global carbon pollution.
    Already, the landmark accord has made a huge impact.

    Opinions of Trump and future of climate policy:

        America's Brief Role as aClimateLeader Is Probably Over
        <https://www.wired.com/2016/11/americas-brief-role-climate-leader-probably/>

    WIRED 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    This week,*climate*negotiators—along with NGOs, journalists, and
    other observers—are gathered in Marrakesh, Morroco to flesh out the
    details of the Paris agreement, newly ratified and enacted by the
    United Nations to address*climate change*. And*...
    *

        *Climate*Experts Weigh in on Trump's Election Win
        <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/what-climate-experts-think-of-trumps-win-20860>

    Climate Central 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Though*climate change*was not a major topic in much election
    coverage - there were no questions on it during the three
    presidential debates - many*climate*scientists and policy advocates
    supported Clinton. They expected that she would continue*...*

        It's 'Virtually Certain' That Trump Dismantles
        Obama's*Climate*Action Plan, Say Experts
        <https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/its-virtually-certain-that-trump-will-try-to-dismantle-obamas-climate-plan>

    Greentech Media 	 -‎12 hours ago‎

    One of Donald Trump's first priorities as president will be to
    dismantle President Obama's signature*climate*rule, says a former
    Environmental Protection Agency official.

         From Nasa to*climate change*: how the Trump presidency will
        impact science, tech and culture
        <http://www.wired.co.uk/article/donald-trump-president-policy-science-technology-climate-change>

    Wired.co.uk 	 -‎18 hours ago‎

    On January 20, 2017, Donald Trump will take office as the 45th
    president of the United States. Through months of campaigning, Trump
    has been criticised for not releasing policies on a number of key
    issues ranging from*climate change*and science funding*...*

    Trump's election marks the end of any serious hope of
    limiting*climate change*to 2 degrees
    <http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/11/9/13575684/trump-2-degrees>

Vox 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    The nations of the world have agreed that allowing global average
    temperature to rise more than 2 degrees from preindustrial levels
    would be a disaster - that 2 degrees should be avoided at all costs,
    and that prudence suggests aiming for closer to 1*...*

    The Mainstream Media's*Climate*Fail This Election—And What We Can Do
    About It
    <http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/11/08/mainstream-medias-climate-fail-election-and-what-we-can-do-about-it>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎Nov 8, 2016‎

    The*climate*silence extended beyond the debates. During the
    Louisiana flooding this August, the worst natural disaster since
    Hurricane Sandy, nightly newscasts ignored the*climate
    change*connection. The same held true for most other*climate*related ...

*Scientists Have Gotten Really Good at Linking Climate and Weather -
Reporters should pay attention.
<https://nexusmedianews.com/scientists-have-gotten-really-good-at-linking-climate-and-weather-624886e0c16e#.1lr5kcpm8>*

    In the last decade, though, scientists have gotten really good at
    discerning the human fingerprint on extreme weather events. To
    extend the metaphor, we can now look at a home run and say how many
    extra feet it traveled due to steroid use.....Reporters, however,
    have yet to catch up. Many consistently fail to draw the line
    between climate change and extreme weather....Last month, experts
    published a new article in the World Meteorological Organization
    Bulletin calling on journalists — including general reporters as
    well as weather forecasters and meteorologists — to connect the
    dots....https://nexusmedianews.com/scientists-have-gotten-really-good-at-linking-climate-and-weather-624886e0c16e#.1lr5kcpm8
    Bulletin Vol 65 (2) - 2016    (Un)Natural Disasters: Communicating
    Linkages Between Extreme Events and Climate Change
    <http://library.wmo.int/opac/index.php?lvl=bulletin_display&id=3829#.WBod2IQrJhF>
    http://public.wmo.int/en/resources/bulletin

    A warm*climate*is more sensitive to changes in atmospheric CO2
    <http://phys.org/news/2016-11-climate-sensitive-atmospheric-co2.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    It is well-established in the scientific community that increases in
    atmospheric CO2 levels result in*global warming*, but the magnitude
    of the effect may vary depending on average global temperature.

*The Doubt Machine: The challenge of taking on America's richest oil
barons
<http://www.nationalobserver.com/2016/11/02/news/doubt-machine-challenge-taking-americas-richest-oil-barons>*

    National Observer:....the oil industry was not pleased with Mann's
    handiwork....he soon became one of the climate scientists they set
    out to destroy. Their opportunity arose in 2009 when internal emails
    among climate scientists were hacked and released on the eve of the
    Coppenhagen climate summit...The right-wing media and oil industry
    apologists fastened on certain emails that referenced Mann, claiming
    they showed the scientists were exaggerating the reality of climate
    change....They launched a full-bore campaign to have Mann fired and
    discredited - attacking him in on-line and newspaper ads, in columns
    and on Fox TV, and sending him death threats... Republican
    politicians demanded he hand over internal emails and sought to
    investigate him for scientific fraud. A former CIA caseworker even
    offered up $10,000 if Mann's colleagues would step forward and
    accuse him of fraud. He once received an envelope filled with white
    powder that had to be investigated by the FBI (it was not a
    dangerous substance, in the end)....The Koch brothers were the focus
    of my documentary, which in itself had a traumatic origin. In
    February of 2015 I was terminated as a contracted producer from
    Global TV's current affairs show, 16x9, after producing a story
    about the Kochs, exposing their connections to Canada, specifically
    Alberta's tar sands.

*This day in Climate History November 10, 2014 *
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/11/10/fuel-divestment-movement-grows-boston-campuses/uOKCKYo71b6QhMVaKmQQNK/story.html>*<http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/11/10/fuel-divestment-movement-grows-boston-campuses/uOKCKYo71b6QhMVaKmQQNK/story.html>:
 From D.R. Tucker  ----------
*

    Boston Globe reports: "Professors at Boston-area colleges are adding
    their voices to a student-led movement that is pressing higher
    education institutions to shed investments in fossil fuel
    companies.  "The growing faculty involvement has not only galvanized
    the effort with increased support but also added an important and
    unique perspective, activists say."
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/11/10/fuel-divestment-movement-grows-boston-campuses/uOKCKYo71b6QhMVaKmQQNK/story.html

** ========================  #### ===========================

        *forward this email,
        * - select a story that interests you, then contact one
        candidate, or one representative in your government, one friend,
        or one neighbor and discuss the issue with them,
        I will add your name to the subscription list email
        contact at theclimate.vote
        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.