[TheClimate.Vote] Nov 12, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sat Nov 12 10:49:09 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  November 12, 2016
/

    Trump threat fires up US*climate*activists, draws in more
    <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-environmentalists-idUSKBN1362EU?feedName=environmentNews&feedType=RSS>

Reuters 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    During his campaign, Trump said*global warming*was a hoax and called
    for the Environmental Protection Agency to be gutted. He promised to
    "cancel" the Paris*climate*... Jay O'Hara, a
    Vermont-based*climate-change*activist with the*Climate*Disobedience*...
    *

Russia’s Hack, Compliant Press, Climate Catastrophe - Peter Sinclair
<https://climatecrocks.com/2016/11/11/russias-hack-compliant-press-climate-catastrophe/>

    YouTube audio from Diane Rehm Show
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Diq3sk1boQw> -  Peter you've called
    the Diane Rehm Show:  "Yes the hacking of the U.S. election by a
    hostile foreign power is a monstrous catastrophe -- that I see the
    media,  and including this conversation -- just furiously trying to
    normalize and move off of.  Perhaps because they recognize that they
    were enthusiastic collaborators and vectors in this process.   And
    it's even more disturbing that this MO of hacking, distorting, and
    weaponizing email is exactly the same as that deployed against
    climate scientists in 2009 following a hack at the University of
    East Anglia in the UK . We don't know who did that hack but i know
    .... because I'm a videographer and I talked to climate scientists
    that have known for 10 years that Russia was a leading suspect in
    that hack -- because of their huge interest in fossil fuels.   And I
    just find these twin developments of the hacking of the U.S.
    election and the complete chaos that our climate policy is now in,
    is absolutely a catastrophic development and almost completely
    ignored in the pressed I'd like to hear an explanation."
    https://climatecrocks.com/2016/11/11/russias-hack-compliant-press-climate-catastrophe/

    Trump’s Win Signals Open Season for Russia’s Political Hackers
    <https://www.wired.com/2016/11/trumps-win-signals-open-season-russias-political-hackers/>Following
    Donald Trump's presidential win, and even in the weeks leading up to
    it, cybersecurity and foreign-policy watchers have warned that
    Russia’s government-sponsored hackers would be emboldened by the
    success of the recent string of intrusions and data dumps, including
    the hacks of the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic
    Congressional Campaign Committee.
    Tracking the Portrayal of Russian Hackers  during Cyber Conflict
    Incidents
    <http://www.digitalicons.org/wp-content/uploads/issue04/files/2010/11/Karatgozianni-4.9.pdf>

    ATHINA KARATGOZIANNI,  University of Hull, UK
    Abstract: This article analyses various cyber conflicts and cyber
    crime incidents attributed to
    Russian hackers, such as the Estonian and Georgian cyber conflicts
    and the ‘Climategate
    hack’. The article argues that Russian hackers were blamed by dozens
    of outlets for the Climategate
    hack, because that was consistent with global media coverage of
    cyber crime incidents
    which portrayed Russians as highly powerful hackers responsible for
    many hacking incidents.
    This narrative also was congruent with the new Cold War rhetoric
    that consistently
    takes issue with Russia acting on its geopolitical interests. These
    interests are seen to manifest
    themselves in Russia’s objection to countries, formerly under its
    influence, participating in
    the NATO alliance and its seemingly obstructive stance at the
    Copenhagen summit on climate
    change.
    http://www.digitalicons.org/wp-content/uploads/issue04/files/2010/11/Karatgozianni-4.9.pdf

    Secretary of State John Kerry lands in Antarctica, with*climate
    *legacy under threat
    <http://www.cbsnews.com/news/secretary-of-state-john-kerry-visits-antarctica-climate-change-legacy/>

CBS News 	 -‎12 hours ago‎

    MCMURDO STATION, Antarctica - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry
    became the highest-ranking American official to visit Antarctica on
    Friday when he landed for a two-day trip during which he'll hear
    from scientists about the impact of*climate change*on .
    *West Antarctica begins to destabilize with ‘intense unbalanced
    melting’
    <http://www.desdemonadespair.net/2016/11/west-antarctica-begins-to-destabilize.html>*
    The bottom of the world has drawn increased scrutiny from scientists
    over the last few years, as West Antarctic ice loss in some places
    shows signs of becoming “unstoppable.” There’s enough water locked
    up in West Antarctica’s Amundsen Sea region alone to raise the
    global average sea level by four feet, and it’s the fastest-melting
    spot on the continent. The National Science Foundation and a U.K.
    counterpart last week announced that they’ll fund up to $25 million
    in research that will help the scientific community better
    understand the timing and mechanics of a critical glacier, the
    Thwaites. It’s basically the climate-science equivalent of an FBI
    “Most Wanted” poster....A study issued on Tuesday in Nature
    Communications measures directly just how dramatically glaciers are
    being gnawed at from beneath. The research focuses on those that
    empty into a section of the Amundsen Sea just south of the Thwaites
    Glacier. A significant portion of Antarctica is now subject to
    “intense unbalanced melting,” the authors write.

'Turning Point' in*Climate*Fight as Judge Rules Youth Can Sue US
Government
<http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/11/11/turning-point-climate-fight-judge-rules-youth-can-sue-us-government>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    In her ruling, Aiken determined that the youth complaint is valid,
    reasoning, "Although the United States has made international
    commitments regarding*climate change*, granting the relief requested
    here would be fully consistent with those commitments.".
    *Emphatic Ruling by Judge Aiken - James Hansen
    <http://columbia.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ebaeb14fdbf5dc65289113c1&id=2af2a04615&e=c4e20a3850>*
    Judge Ann Aiken, in the United States District Court in Eugene
    Oregon, yesterday issued an emphatic ruling
    <http://www.columbia.edu/%7Ejeh1/mailings/2016/20161111_EmphaticRulingbyJudgeAiken.pdf>
    in favor of the plaintiffs in the case of Juliana et al. versus the
    United States....In a remarkable 54-page Opinion and Order, which,
    for its clarity and scholarship, will surely be a historical
    document, Judge Aiken rejected the request by the Federal Government
    and fossil fuel interveners to dismiss the case. Next week I will
    provide a discussion of the significance of this case and the way
    forward. Here I simply provide the Opinion and Order, because the
    ruling reaffirms dramatically how our democracy can be made to
    provide justice for all.  I discussed this case in a prior op-ed and
    in a video with my oldest grandchild, and in other  Communications
    on my web site, but we will now be able to make a better discussion.
    http://columbia.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ebaeb14fdbf5dc65289113c1&id=2af2a04615&e=c4e20a3850
    *Landmark U.S. Federal Climate Lawsuit — Our Children's Trust
    <http://www.ourchildrenstrust.org/us/federal-lawsuit/>*
    www.our*children*strust.org/us/federal-lawsuit/
    <http://www.ourchildrenstrust.org/court-orders-and-pleadings>
    <https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#>

     1.

    ...federal court in Eugene, Oregon decided in favor of 21 youth
    plaintiffs in their "groundbreaking" constitutional climate lawsuit
    against President Obama, numerous federal agencies, and the fossil
    fuel industry. U.S. District Court Judge Ann Aiken completely
    rejected all arguments to dismiss raised by the federal government
    and fossil fuel industry, determining that the young plaintiffs’
    constitutional and public trust claims could proceed. ... The Aiken
    Decision PDF 54 pages
    <http://www.ourchildrenstrust.org/s/Order-MTDAiken.pdf>

    (Forbes) Donald Trump Says*Climate Change*Is A Hoax -- Let's Discuss
    <http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2016/11/11/donald-trump-says-climate-change-is-a-hoax-lets-discuss/>

Forbes 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    For a couple of years now I've been writing about*climate
    science*and the ongoing changes in our*climate*in this space....Very
    soon the most powerful man in the world will be someone who has
    called climate change a "hoax."  The man President-elect Trump has
    said will head his transition team at the Environmental Protection
    Agency is Myron Ebell from the Competitive Enterprise Institute who
    says the science is less than certain and is really one of many
    pretexts for expanding government...."We believed that the consensus
    was phony," Ebell told PBS in an interview explaining why he and
    others went to work to try and dismantle it. "We believed that the
    so-called global warming consensus was not based on science, but was
    a political consensus, which included a number of scientists."...
    This is the person that looks to be tasked with picking the
    leadership of the U.S. government agency charged with addressing
    climate change....This is probably a good place to start the
    conversation I’ve been avoiding for years now. The evidence that
    Trump and Ebell are wrong on climate seems overwhelming to me.
    There’s literally thousands and thousands of pages of science and
    data that show, generally speaking, temperatures and sea levels are
    rising as concentrations of gases like CO2 and methane have also
    increased. There’s also plenty of science on related impacts like
    ocean acidification, shifts in ecosystems and threats to human
    populations and property as well. I can go on and on, but anyone
    reading this has probably heard it all before.

*The Fortune 500 Can't Go Along with a Rollback on Climate Policy
Harvard Business Review
<https://hbr.org/2016/11/the-fortune-500-cant-go-along-with-a-rollback-on-climate-policy>*

    ...nearly every firm in the Fortune 500 has acknowledged the reality
    of climate change, as have thousands of other companies. Many have
    developed programs designed to address it, while simultaneously
    generating significant returns for shareholders. ....Most of the
    business world recognizes the tremendous threat that climate change
    represents... they need to make that perspective heard.  There are
    at least three things that business can do...
    *The first is to continue to insist that climate change is real*,
    and a real threat to our economic system....
    *The second is to continue demonstrating that the case for reducing
    energy use is often very strong* – that the rates of return for
    building green buildings, retrofitting buildings, and
    recommissioning HVAC systems is often in the double digits*...*
    *Last but not least, firms need to say publicly that well designed
    regulations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions are not only in the
    interests of our children and our children’s children, but in our
    own economic interest, right now.* ..

*Trump’s Climate Contrarian: Myron Ebell Takes On the E.P.A.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/science/myron-ebell-trump-epa.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region&_r=0>**
*

    **NYTimes -- Mr. Ebell, who revels in taking on the scientific
    consensus on global warming, will be Mr. Trump’s lead agent in
    choosing personnel and setting the direction of the federal agencies
    that address climate change and environmental policy more
    broadly....Mr. Ebell, whose organization is financed in part by the
    coal industry, has been one of the most vocal opponents of the
    linchpin of that policy, the Clean Power Plan. Developed by the
    Environmental Protection Agency, the plan is a far-reaching set of
    regulations that, by seeking to reduce carbon emissions from
    electricity generation, could result in the closing of many
    coal-burning power plants, among other effects....Mr. Ebell has said
    that the plan, which has been tied up in the courts since it was
    finalized in 2015, is illegal. In the interview in Paris last year,
    he said he hoped whoever was elected president would "undo the
    E.P.A. power plant regs and some of the other regs that are very
    harmful to our economy."

***Planet Earth Is The Real Loser Of The US Elections
<http://www.desmogblog.com/2016/11/09/planet-earth-real-loser-us-elections>*

    DeSmogBlog
    <http://www.desmogblog.com/2016/11/09/planet-earth-real-loser-us-elections>-
    During the U.S. presidential debates, there was not one single
    question devoted to the topic of climate change. And it appears that
    the results from the election have only amplified the silence that
    Americans seem to have on the subject of the environment....In a
    stunning turn of events, US voters elected conservative businessman
    Donald Trump as the next President of the United States. Trump will
    now become the only world leader to actively deny that climate
    change is real, which means that the environment is about to suffer
    an enormous blow....And that’s not speculation — that is exactly
    what Donald Trump told Americans just days before the general
    election....As Think Progress reported, Trump told supporters on
    October 26th that he would end the "wasteful" spending on climate
    action:
    *"I will also cancel all wasteful climate change spending from
    Obama-Clinton, including all global warming payments to the United
    Nations. These steps will save $100 billion over 8 years, and this
    money will be used to help rebuild the vital infrastructure,
    including water systems, in America’s inner cities."*
    But Donald Trump will not be operating by himself, and that’s why
    things are actually scarier than they appear. The majority of
    Republicans who will be serving in the House and Senate when the new
    Congress convenes in January 2017 deny climate change, and that
    means that the Republican Party’s 2016 platform will set the
    guidelines for what these Republicans attempt to accomplish now that
    they will control both the Legislative and Executive branches of
    government...Here are a few items from the Republican Party platform
    that are likely to become a reality in the new administration, from
    Steven Rosenfeld at Alternet:
    <http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/50-shockingly-extreme-right-wing-proposals-2016-republican-party-platform>
    *Start repealing environmental laws:* "...review of federal
    regulations, especially those dealing with the environment"
    *Open America’s shores to more oil and gas drilling:* "...opening of
    public lands and the outer continental shelf"
    *Build the Keystone XL Pipeline:*  "... We intend to finish that
    pipeline and others as part of our commitment to North American
    energy security."
    *Expand fracking and burying nuclear waste:* "...with respect to the
    long-term storage of nuclear waste."
    *No tax on carbon products:* "We oppose any carbon tax…"
    *Ignore global climate change agreements: * "The United Nations’
    Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is a political mechanism,
    not an unbiased scientific institution.  Its unreliability is
    reflected in its intolerance toward scientists and others who
    dissent from its orthodoxy.  We will evaluate its recommendations
    accordingly.  We reject the agendas of both the Kyoto Protocol and
    the Paris Agreement, which represent only the personal commitments
    of their signatories; no such agreement can be binding upon the
    United States until it is submitted to and ratified by the
    Senate."...The oil and gas industries gave a staggering $88 million
    to politicians during the 2016 election cycle, with 88% of that
    money going to Republicans....
    That investment has paid off tremendously for fossil fuel interests,
    and they are poised to get every item on their anti-environmental,
    anti-regulatory wishlists checked off in short order....Meanwhile,
    the environment is going to take some massive hits at a time when
    the evidence of climate change is right before our eyes.

    *Climate Change*Has Already Altered Nearly Every Ecosystem on Earth
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/11/11/climate-change-has-already-altered-nearly-every-ecosystem-earth>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    Nearly every ecosystem on the planet is being altered, and plants
    and animals are being so affected that scientists may soon be forced
    to intervene to create "human-assisted evolution," the study, titled
    The Broad Footprint of*Climate Change*from Genes*...*

*IISD Reporting Services producing Earth Negotiations Video (ENV) from
UNFCCC COP 22 <http://www.iisd.ca/videos/climate/unfccc-cop22-env/>**. *

    Our video team is reporting daily from the meeting, bringing you
    updates on key issues, and insights through featured interviews with
    high-level delegates..... ...IISD Reporting Services, through its
    ENB Meeting Coverage, is providing daily web coverage, daily reports
    and a summary and analysis report from the Marrakech Climate Change
    Conference - November 2016.
    ..http://www.iisd.ca/videos/climate/unfccc-cop22-env/

    Weak*La Nina*Might Hang On Through Winter
    <http://www.agweb.com/article/weak-la-nina-might-hang-on-through-winter-naa-associated-press/>

AgWeb 	 -‎15 hours ago‎

    *La Nina*, the flip side of*El Nino*, is the periodic cooling of the
    central Pacific Ocean that affects weather patterns around the globe...

    For 12 years, plants bought us extra time on*climate change*
    <http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/11/13590814/plants-co2-emissions-climate-change-nature-communications>

The Verge 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Plants are our best friends in the fight against*climate change*,
    and a new study shows just how important they are. From 2002 to
    2014, plants sucked up so much carbon dioxide that they slowed the
    buildup of CO2 in the atmosphere, even as human-made ...

    *Climate*Finance Is*Climate*Investment
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/strive-masiyiwa/climate-finance-is-climat_b_12913772.html>

Huffington Post 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    Right now, in particular, they need investment so they can adapt to
    the effects of*climate change*and play their part in
    reducing*greenhouse gas*emissions.*Climate change*adds urgency to
    the investment needs that were already there - for ... We need*...

    *

    German government reaches agreement on*climate*action plan
    <http://www.dw.com/en/german-government-reaches-agreement-on-climate-action-plan/a-36356919>

Deutsche Welle 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    German government reaches agreement on*climate*action plan.
    Germany's ruling coalition has agreed on a new*climate*action plan,
    ending weeks of bickering between Chancellor Angela Merkel's
    Christian Democrats and the center-left Social Democrats.

     From Executive Power to People Power on*Climate*
    <http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/11/11/executive-power-people-power-climate>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    It was late evening in Marrakesh, Morocco, as three SustainUS
    delegates at this year's UN*climate*talks- myself, Dineen O'Rourke,
    and Benjamin Goloff- pulled an all-nighter finalizing an arts banner
    for our post-elections actions.

        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.