[TheClimate.Vote] Nov 22, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Tue Nov 22 09:52:59 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  November 22, 2016/

*People are worried Trump will stop climate progress. The numbers
suggest he can’t
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/11/21/people-are-worried-trump-will-stop-climate-progress-the-numbers-suggest-he-cant/>*

    ...The United States must aggressively reduce its emissions for
    global climate change mitigation to be successful, and should
    contribute its fair share to clean energy research – but over the
    course of one or two terms, a Trump administration alone cannot halt
    global progress....
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/11/21/people-are-worried-trump-will-stop-climate-progress-the-numbers-suggest-he-cant/
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/11/21/people-are-worried-trump-will-stop-climate-progress-the-numbers-suggest-he-cant/?utm_term=.b5702f4476f9>

    Class-Action Lawsuit Adds to ExxonMobil's*Climate Change*Woes
    <https://insideclimatenews.org/news/18112016/exxon-climate-change-research-oil-reserves-stranded-assets-lawsuit>

InsideClimate News 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Investors allege Exxon should have adjusted its accounting of oil
    reserves based on what it knows about climate change and coming
    climate action....shareholders have filed a class-action lawsuit ...
    alleging it misled its investors and the public by failing to
    disclose the risks posed to its business by*climate change.  The
    alleged deception resulted in stockholders paying inflated prices
    for Exxon stock and subjected them to financial losses because the
    company knew the value of its oil reserves was less than what it was
    telling investors, according to the lawsuit filed in Texas federal
    court earlier this month.
    "Exxon has long understood the negative effects of climate change
    and global warning and their relation to the worldwide use of
    hydrocarbons," according to the lawsuit.
    "Exxon understood and appreciated that it was highly likely that it
    would not be able to extract all of its hydrocarbon reserves and
    that certain of those assets were 'stranded.' Yet Exxon publicly
    represented that none of its assets were 'stranded' because the
    impacts of climate change, if any, were uncertain and far off in the
    future."...The SEC also has reportedly opened an investigation into
    Exxon to determine whether the company has been forthcoming with
    investors about climate risks and accounting issues concerning its
    reserves.
    Among the cautionary signs that Exxon concealed from investors was
    the company's own internal reports from the 1970s concerning climate
    change, which recognized the environmental risks caused by global
    warming, according to the lawsuit.
    "Given the risks associated with global warming and climate change,
    the Company would not be able to extract the existing hydrocarbon
    reserves Exxon claimed to have," according to the lawsuit.
    As a result, the suit says, a significant portion of Exxon's
    reserves should already have been written down; that's a bookkeeping
    function that reduces the value of an asset because it has been
    overvalued.

    *

    UN plans early warning network as*climate*risks soar
    <http://www.climatechangenews.com/2016/11/21/un-plans-early-warning-network-as-climate-risks-soar/>

Climate Home 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    As summers get hotter, seas get warmer and extreme wind and
    rainstorms inflict ever-greater loss of human life and property, the
    World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) is trying to develop and
    early warning system for vulnerable countries and regions.

*102 million dead California trees 'unprecedented in our modern
history,' officials say*
<http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-dead-trees-20161118-story.html>

    The number of dead trees in California’s drought-stricken forests
    has risen dramatically to more than 102 million in what officials
    described as an unparalleled ecological disaster that heightens the
    danger of massive wildfires and damaging erosion....The majority of
    the dead trees are in the southern and central Sierra Nevada region,
    officials said, though they warned that high mortality levels are
    also creeping into forests in Northern California, notably Siskiyou,
    Modoc, Plumas and Lassen counties. ..When a lot of dead fuel remains
    on the ground, fires burn hotter and damage the soil, experts said.
    Whenever rain eventually arrives, the water cannot filter through
    the soil as easily, so it moves the top layer, creating the
    potential for mudslides and destroying root systems.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-dead-trees-20161118-story.html

    Meet Donald the*Climate*Clown
    <http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/11/21/meet-donald-climate-clown>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    Later today in Stockholm, a conference organized by the business
    group, the International Chamber of Commerce, examines “Bridging
    the*Climate Change*Policy Gap.” The conference flier asks the
    question, that post the historic Paris*climate change* ...

*How to stay sane in the face of climate change
<https://thinkprogress.org/how-to-stay-sane-in-the-face-of-climate-change-1fadca65c49#.xklrfqyb9>*

    Physical consequences aren’t the only danger of the climate
    crisis....Climate change, like a lot of things, is scary. But if
    mental health professionals a tip for coping, it seems to be this:
    Talk about it. Share your feelings. And remember that we are all in
    this together....But talking about climate change — about the fears
    and stress that come with the understanding that mankind is, perhaps
    irreversibly, altering the planet — does more than help people feel
    less alone. It also helps create stronger bonds to community, which
    is something that studies have shown can help people bounce back
    quicker when a devastating climate event, like a major flood or a
    crippling drought, takes place.
    https://thinkprogress.org/how-to-stay-sane-in-the-face-of-climate-change-1fadca65c49#.xklrfqyb9

*Obama Halts Arctic Oil Leases and Undoing It Won't Be Simple for Trump
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/18112016/barack-obama-arctic-oil-drilling-natural-gas-donald-trump>*

    By writing a five-year plan with no leases for oil drilling in the
    Alaskan Arctic, President Obama—and market forces—provide roadblocks
    for Trump to change....No new offshore oil and gas leases will be
    offered in the Alaskan Arctic through 2022, according to a new
    five-year plan for offshore drilling released Friday by the Obama
    administration. President-elect Donald Trump could overturn the ban,
    but that could take years and may not draw much industry interest if
    oil prices stay low...   The Interior Department's five-year plan
    laid out all of the proposed auctions for drilling rights on the
    outer continental shelf of the United States. It allowed for no
    leases between 2017 and 2022 in the Beaufort or Chukchi seas, Arctic
    waters north and west of Alaska.
    ..https://insideclimatenews.org/news/18112016/barack-obama-arctic-oil-drilling-natural-gas-donald-trump

    U.S. Record Highs Will Far Outpace Lows With Warming
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/record-highs-could-outpace-lows-with-warming-20901>

Climate Central 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Over the first decade of this century, record high daily
    temperatures in the U.S. were registered twice as often as record
    lows, a clear sign of*global warming*. If emissions of heat-trapping
    greenhouse gases continue on their current track, that ratio  could
    become even more skewed, potentially reaching 15-to-1 by midcentury,
    a new study finds.*...this shift started happening in the late 1970s
    and that the ratio of record highs to lows had reached 2-to-1 over
    the first decade of this century. (So far this year, the ratio is
    6-to-1, and the U.S. is on pace for its second-hottest year on
    record.) ... In particular, overnight lows have been hitting record
    high levels.*

*No global warming in Siberia, Donald Trump?
<http://siberiantimes.com/ecology/casestudy/news/n0793-no-global-warming-in-siberia-donald-trump/>*

    The Arctic district of Verkhoyansk, one of the coldest in habited
    places in the world, recorded a temperature of 19.2C on 18 November,
    some 19C above average. ..
    The district is in Yakutia, also known as the Sakha Republic, and in
    parts of the Arctic north of this region temperatures are even more
    surprising...
    In the village of Olenek on the same day weathermen recorded minus
    5.1C, a record warm. In the remote port of Tiksi, it was only minus
    3C. ..
    In Chukotka, on the Arctic shore, a November record was registered
    of a remarkable 4C, with a daily average of 20C milder than usual...
    the latest weather is not consistent with Western Siberia and the
    Urals facing extreme cold.
    http://siberiantimes.com/ecology/casestudy/news/n0793-no-global-warming-in-siberia-donald-trump/

*(Opinion) Global warming: where the arc of the moral universe stops
<http://religionnews.com/2016/11/21/global-warming-where-the-arc-of-the-moral-universe-stops/>*

    Since the election, some Americans have found consolation in the
    line that Martin Luther King, Jr. adapted from the 19th-century
    Unitarian divine Theodore Parker: “The arc of the moral universe is
    long but it bends toward justice.”
    So maybe the arc just got longer. So maybe justice for the poor, the
    sick, and the stranger among us is farther off. We’re still headed
    in the right direction.
    But what if time runs out?
    It is running out. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse — famine,
    pestilence, war, and death — are saddled up. Greenhouse gas
    emissions are raising the temperature of the Earth to a point of no
    return.
    Global warming — let’s stop calling it “climate change” — is more
    important than immigration, manufacturing jobs, Obamacare, ISIS,
    financial regulation, religious liberty, abortion, Medicare, black
    lives matter, and the white working class. It will destroy the moral
    universe itself, so far as it exists on this planet.
    http://religionnews.com/2016/11/21/global-warming-where-the-arc-of-the-moral-universe-stops/

*YouTube: Watch Bernie Sanders slam USA Today reporter for inappropriate
question <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwn7Kko8ERo>*

    1:30 Transcript:
         "Sir looking forward to 2020," USA Today reporter Herb Jackson
    asked. "Could you give us your thoughts about who you think might be
    the Democratic standard bearer? And do you have any thoughts on Cory
    Booker?"
         "I am reading the last chapter of my book on corporate media,"
    said Bernie Sanders. "I think this is incredible. And I have to say
    this in all due respect. Are we? Already? We haven’t inaugurated
    this president and we're talking about 2020 because it's easy to
    write about. What about talking about climate change and whether the
    planet survives. What about talking about income and wealth
    inequality in medical. What about talking about youth unemployment
    in African American communities up 30, 40 percent. What about
    talking about immigration reform criminal justice reform. Those are
    the issues that the American people need to be engaged in; to start
    talking about who's gonna be running in 2080... And look at you. You
    look like a good candidate. I mean how much money do you have. Maybe
    we will run you. ...I mean, I don't mean to be rude. But the
    American people are tired of that. They really are. They would like
    to hear serious discussion on serious issues. Who is running in
    2020, what 2090 is of concern? And I got to tell, people are turning
    off their TVs. They are tired of, you know, all of that stuff. So in
    all due respect. We got serious problems in this country. And let's
    talk about the serious issues and not worry who's going to be
    running in 4 years when we haven't even inaugurated the president
    who just won." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwn7Kko8ERo

*This Day in Climate History  November 22, 2009
<http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/11/18/climate.change.women/>  -
from D.R. Tucker *

    CNN reports on the disproportionate toll climate change takes on women.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/11/18/climate.change.women/

        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.