[TheClimate.Vote] Nov 21, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Mon Nov 21 09:52:03 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  November 21, 2016/

*Fake News Not New.  Scientists Have been Fighting it for Decades
<http://wp.me/pOYWd-asJ>*

    Peter Sinclair Climate Denial Crock of the Week
    <https://climatecrocks.com/> Fake News is not new.  I started
    creating videos specifically to push back against a sewertide of
    nonsense spewing from the alphabet soup of "think" tanks spawned by
    the Koch Brothers, Exxon, and a rogue's gallery of fossil fuel info
    criminals.  YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-KTrAqt2784gL_I4JisF1w
    Birth of a Climate Crock
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khikoh3sJg8>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khikoh3sJg8 Uploaded on Aug 3, 2009
    The ability to tell fake from factual is a critical skill we should
    be teaching in the digital age.
    I’ll be exploring this in future vids – for now, here are some good
    examples of how I learned to track a false meme to it’s source.
    Creepy at the EPA <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbjqSyWdcs>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbjqSyWdcs Uploaded on Aug 3, 2009
    Flogging the Scientists
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-iB6jwjUc>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-iB6jwjUc Uploaded on Mar 15, 2010
    32000 Scientists?? <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2XVILHUjQ>
    Really? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2XVILHUjQ Uploaded on Jan
    9, 2010**
    (see also potholer54: https://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54 )

    A*climate*negotiator explains why Trump might not be a total
    disaster for the planet
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/11/20/a-climate-negotiator-explains-why-trump-might-not-be-a-total-disaster-for-the-planet/>

Washington Post (blog) 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    But when I met with Mutsuyoshi Nishimura, a veteran
    Japanese*climate*negotiator and high government official, one of the
    first things he wanted to ask me about following Trump's victory was
    obscure policy in the federal tax code.

*Environmentalists Brace for Battle Against Donald Trump
<http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/11/climate-chnage-trump-environmentalists>*

    But environmental groups are bracing to fight back, and they insist
    the American public is behind them....Any efforts by Trump and the
    Republican-controlled Congress to roll back the Clean Power Plan,
    Obama's signature climate initiative, will be met with resistance,
    say the advocates.... Even if environmentalists are ultimately able
    to block some of Trump's plans, they will still be faced with a
    larger problem. Obama's climate policies were only a good start—they
    didn't get us anywhere close to averting catastrophic warming. ...
    the accelerating pace of climate change means that the planet can't
    afford four years of inaction. "Time is not our friend here,"....
    http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/11/climate-chnage-trump-environmentalists

    What Trump's*Climate*Legacy Could Look Like
    <http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/20/sunday-review/donald-trump-climate-legacy.html>

New York Times 	 -‎18 hours ago‎

    Two-foot rise This scenario assumes there are aggressive cuts
    to*greenhouse gas*emissions beyond the pledges made in the
    Paris*climate*agreement. In the cities shown, the*sea level
    rise*would range from 1.8 feet to 2.4 feet, depending on local factors.

    Broadcast Networks'*Climate*Coverage Was Utterly Miserable During
    This Election Year
    <http://www.alternet.org/environment/broadcast-networks-climate-coverage-was-utterly-miserable-during-election-year>

AlterNet 	 -‎9 hours ago‎

    Secretary of State John Kerry, in Marrakesh this week for
    international*climate*talks, recently said it “pissed him off” that
    there wasn't a single question asked about*climate change*during the
    six hours of televised presidential and vice presidential*...*

    NASA chief slaps down*climate*sceptic senator Malcolm Roberts: 'You
    hold a number of misconceptions'
    <http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/nasa-chief-slaps-down-climate-sceptic-senator-malcolm-roberts-you-hold-a-number-of-misconceptions-20161120-gstp0y.html>

The Sydney Morning Herald 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    In his letter to NASA dated November 14, Senator Roberts explained
    his interest in the agency's temperature calculations, saying they
    had "influenced" the Intergovernmental Panel on*Climate
    Change's*warnings on*global warming*that in turn had informed*...*

*Game over? Will global warming be even worse than we think?
<https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/game-over-will-global-warming-be-even-worse-than-we-think/74756>*

    New research is revealing that Earth's climate sensitivity may
    actually get worse as global temperatures continue to rise.
    Equilibrium climate sensitivity is the measure of just how much
    global temperatures will rise due to a doubling of carbon dioxide
    concentrations in the atmosphere. Pre-industrial carbon dioxide
    concentrations were roughly 280 parts per million in the atmosphere,
    so climate scientists have been trying to find out how much warming
    we can expect if the concentration was increased to 560 ppm due to
    the continued use of fossil fuels...
    The hope has been that climate sensitivity is low - perhaps just a
    degree or two Celsius, at the most. Reality, however, has been a bit
    more harsh, pointing more towards a climate sensitivity of between
    2oC and 7oC, with a rise of around 3oC being the most likely outcome.
    https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/game-over-will-global-warming-be-even-worse-than-we-think/74756...
    Nonlinear climate sensitivity and its implications for future
    greenhouse warming
    <http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/11/e1501923>
    Abstract  Global mean surface temperatures are rising in response to
    anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions. The magnitude of this
    warming at equilibrium for a given radiative forcing—referred to as
    specific equilibrium climate sensitivity (S)—is still subject to
    uncertainties. We estimate global mean temperature variations and S
    using a 784,000-year-long field reconstruction of sea surface
    temperatures and a transient paleoclimate model simulation. Our
    results reveal that S is strongly dependent on the climate
    background state, with significantly larger values attained during
    warm phases. Using the Representative Concentration Pathway 8.5 for
    future greenhouse radiative forcing, we find that the range of
    paleo-based estimates of Earth’s future warming by 2100 CE overlaps
    with the upper range of climate simulations conducted as part of the
    Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Phase 5 (CMIP5). Furthermore,
    we find that within the 21st century, global mean temperatures will
    very likely exceed maximum levels reconstructed for the last 784,000
    years. On the basis of temperature data from eight glacial cycles,
    our results provide an independent validation of the magnitude of
    current CMIP5 warming projections.
    http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/11/e1501923

*This Day in Climate History  November 21, 2011:
<http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rachel-maddow/45395747>  - from D.R. Tucker *

    November 21, 2011: MSNBC's Rachel Maddow interviews EPA
    Administrator Lisa Jackson regarding the GOP's attacks on science.
    http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rachel-maddow/45395747

        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.