[TheClimate.Vote] Nov 20, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sun Nov 20 03:16:21 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming - November 20, 2016
/

    '*Climate*Emergency': North Pole Sees Record Temps, Melting Ice
    Despite Arctic Winter
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/11/18/climate-emergency-north-pole-sees-record-temps-melting-ice-despite-arctic-winter>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎Nov 18, 2016‎

    As 2016 continues on its march toward becoming the hottest year on
    record, the Arctic is seeing extreme warmth beyond anything
    previously recorded at this time of year—prompting alarm
    from*climate*scientists around the world. "Folks, we're in a*...
    https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/800067428419940352
    *Your daily reminder—until this makes front page news—that what’s
    happening right now at our planet’s poles is *not* normal.*
    *See the NSIDC graph:
    <https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/800067428419940352> *
    https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/800067428419940352
    *
    Despite onset of #PolarNight, temperatures near #NorthPole
    increasing. Extraordinary situation right now in #Arctic, w/record
    low #seaice.
    The bizarre heat is fueling the rapid melt of the pole's ice caps,
    and it is particularly unusual because it's all happening during the
    polar night—the time of year when the North Pole never sees the sun, ...

    Under Shadow of Trump, Lame Duck Obama Unveils Bold*Climate*Plan
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/11/17/under-shadow-trump-lame-duck-obama-unveils-bold-climate-plan>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎Nov 17, 2016‎

    The Obama administration's acknowledgement of the severity of
    the*climate*crisis was underscored in this final effort, and stands
    in stark contrast to the stance of his successor.

    U.S. Business Leaders Send Open Letter To Trump: 'Don't
    Abandon*Climate*Deal'
    <http://www.forbes.com/sites/victorlipman/2016/11/19/u-s-business-leaders-send-open-letter-to-trump-dont-abandon-climate-deal/>

Forbes 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    Elections change leadership, not reality - I've long
    believed*climate change*to be not just an environmental issue but a
    management issue - posing major long-term risks to natural
    resources, agriculture, supply chains, infrastructure, and multiple*...*
    *Global Warming*Fight Advances Despite Trump's Skepticism
    <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-19/fight-against-global-warming-advances-despite-trump-s-skepticism>Bloomberg
    What Trump really means for global*climate-change*progress
    <http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/Inhabit/2016/1119/What-Trump-really-means-for-global-climate-change-progress>

    Saturday's*wildfire*status update for the Tennessee Valley
    <http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/33702610/update-saturdays-wildfire-status-update-for-the-tennessee-valley>

WRCB-TV 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    GEORGIA (Friday update): The Georgia Forestry Commission responded
    to five new fires in North Georgia Thursday. Firefighters are
    concerned about the expected winds and low humidity.

    America's TV meteorologists: Symptoms of*climate change*are rampant,
    undeniable
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/11/18/americas-tv-meteorologists-symptoms-of-climate-change-are-rampant-undeniable/>

Washington Post 	 -‎Nov 18, 2016‎

    I interviewed 11 of America's premiere broadcast TV meteorologists,
    to hear their thoughts and stories of how a rapidly
    changing*climate*is affecting local weather patterns: ...
    [Ex-Republican meteorologist calls for end to partisan divide
    over*climate**..*

*I Vow to Be Political: Buddhism, Social Change, and Skillful Means*
<http://www.lionsroar.com/i-vow-to-be-political-buddhism-social-change-and-skillful-means/>

    If the Buddha ever ran for political office, I think this would be
    his platform:
        May all beings enjoy happiness and the root of happiness.
        May they be free from suffering and the root of suffering.
        May they not be separated from the great happiness devoid of
    suffering,
        May they dwell in the great equanimity free of passion,
    aggression, and ignorance....
    ....What is the most skillful way to make that four-point platform
    of the Buddha’s a reality? To live and promote Buddhist values and
    let people draw their own political conclusions, or explicitly
    identify American Buddhism with a particular position on the
    political spectrum? While individual practitioners can and should be
    politically active, it is a stronger and more inclusive strategy for
    American Buddhism as a whole to focus on promoting its
    values—universal human values that transcend ideology—and not take
    on the limiting label of a partisan stance....
    http://www.lionsroar.com/i-vow-to-be-political-buddhism-social-change-and-skillful-means/
    see also:
    http://www.lionsroar.com/buddhist-teachers-respond-to-news-of-trumps-presidential-win/

        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.