[TheClimate.Vote] Oct 7, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Fri Oct 7 10:06:53 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming  October 7, 2016/

    As Paris Treaty Hits Threshold,*Climate*Groups Demand Bolder Action
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/10/06/paris-treaty-hits-threshold-climate-groups-demand-bolder-action>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    The landmark Paris*climate*treaty finalized last year has reached
    the requisite number of signatories and is set to go into effect in
    30 days—but environmentalists are not planning to let world leaders
    simply pat themselves on the back.

    As Matthew Threatens, Florida Governor Slammed for
    *Climate*Denialism
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/10/06/matthew-threatens-florida-governor-slammed-climate-denialism>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    But while crediting Scott for fulfilling his duty to manage what is
    certain to be a disastrous event when Matthew comes ashore,
    Greenpeace took the opportunity to call out a governor with a long
    record of denying the existence of
    human-caused*climate**...Researchers now think that a warming
    climate, by heating the oceans, will indeed make hurricanes more
    intense (on average), even though it may not increase their overall
    numbers (in fact, those may decrease). These storms will also dump
    more damaging rain in the future, as the atmosphere holds more water
    vapor on a warming planet....Matthew also showed a very rate of
    rapid escalation to Category 5 status, and a long persistence at
    very strong hurricane strength, that is noteworthy. Explosive
    intensification and long life at intense strength are certainly the
    kinds of attributes we’d expect to see more often as a warming
    climate heats the oceans and provides more fuel for the most intense
    hurricanes.*

    World needs $90tn infrastructure overhaul to avoid*climate*disaster,
    study finds
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/oct/06/climate-change-infrastructure-coal-plants-green-investment>

The Guardian 	 -‎9 hours ago‎

    A construction site in Bangkok, Thailand. The study found $90tn is
    expected to be earmarked for infrastructure worldwide over the next
    15 years, requiring an 'urgent' shift to low-carbon,
    energy-efficient projects.

Did The Euro Model Just Pull Another Forecast Coup?
<http://blogs.agu.org/wildwildscience/2016/10/05/euro-model-just-pull-another-forecast-coup/>

    The NOAA GFS followed the Euro model this morning, but 12 hours
    later (where have we seen that before), and if this ends up
    verifying, it’s a another piece of hard evidence that the lack of
    funding for NOAA science/supercomputers is costing money, and
    perhaps even lives. See map of model tracks
    <http://s3.amazonaws.com/wboc-digital/production/sites/wboc-weather/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/05220928/gefs_AL14_2016100512.png>.
    Most of my fellow meteorologists believe we must rapidly improve our
    numerical modelling. NOAA now has a new high-speed super computer,
    but we need to improve these models, and do it quickly Yes there are
    some real bright spots in our high-resolution short-range modelling,
    but Europe is well ahead of us in many ways, and not just in
    modelling. History shows that nations that do not fund science, or
    whose citizens (or even worse it political leaders) do not have a
    basic science literacy, will not succeed economically in the long
    run....GOES-R launches in less than a month, but Europe and Japan
    have had much better satellites in orbit than our present platforms
    for quite some time. GOES R could have had an instrument (Sounder)
    that would have provided even better data for the numerical models,
    but it was dropped due to budget cuts. If it were not for the
    satellites, our numerical models would be far less accurate. Think
    that 12 hour model difference is not a big deal? ... Tell that to
    the thousands who are evacuating in Florida and South Carolina tonight.

*(YouTube) NewsBlackout on how Climate Change Links to Hurricane
Matthew, Top Scientist Speaks Out
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5MJf0QAqA>*

    http://democracynow.org - States of emergency have been declared in
    Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas as Hurricane Matthew barrels
    toward the Southeast coastline. More than 2 million people have been
    urged to evacuate their homes. The record-breaking storm has already
    killed at least 26 people in Haiti and four in the Dominican
    Republic. The storm is soon expected to hit the Bahamas and then
    strengthen as it moves toward Florida. Meteorologists are predicting
    Matthew could be the strongest hurricane to hit the United States
    since Wilma in 2005. Many scientists are saying climate change has
    intensified Hurricane Matthew because warmer ocean waters help
    create stronger hurricanes. Matthew is already the longest-lived
    Category 4 or 5 hurricane in the Eastern Caribbean on record. To
    talk more about Hurricane Matthew and climate change, we speak to
    Guardian journalist Oliver Milman and Michael Mann, a distinguished
    professor of atmospheric science at Penn State University. His
    latest book, co-authored with political cartoonist Tom Toles, is
    titled "The Madhouse Effect : How Climate Change Denial Is
    Threatening Our Planet, Destroying Our Politics, and Driving Us
    Crazy." Mann is also author of "The Hockey Stick and the Climate
    Wars: Dispatches from the Front Lines."

*(YouTube) Atmospheric Scientist: Donald Trump & Mike Pence are a
Climate Change Denial Dream Team
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5w9xLh3HI>*

    http://democracynow.org - While 2016 is on pace to become the
    warmest year on record, climate change has been largely ignored at
    the presidential and vice-presidential debates so far. We look at
    Donald Trump’s history of climate change denialism. He has called it
    a scam and a hoax. In 2012, Donald Trump tweeted: "The concept of
    global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make
    U.S. manufacturing non-competitive." We speak to Guardian journalist
    Oliver Milman and Michael Mann, a distinguished professor of
    atmospheric science at Penn State University.

Unchecked*climate change*raising risks of megadrought in the Southwest
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/10/06/unchecked-climate-change-raising-risks-megadrought-southwest/91681306/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories>

USA TODAY 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    The findings point to major risks for water supplies in states from
    California to Utah to New Mexico, as well as the potential for
    reducing the likelihood of such a drought by combating*global
    warming*. “The more warming we see, the ... If, however*...*

    The*Climate*Accountability Scorecard: Ranking Major Fossil Companies
    on*Climate*Deception, Disclosure, and Action ...
    <http://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/fight-misinformation/climate-accountability-scorecard-ranking-major-fossil-fuel-companies>

Union of Concerned Scientists 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    Many of these companies have worked to systematically block laws or
    regulations that would reduce heat-trapping emissions, in some cases
    by spreading disinformation about*climate science*. And they are
    continuing to encourage, plan for, and invest in ...

    A way forward on*climate*
    <http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/10/a-way-forward-on-climate/>

Harvard Gazette 	 -‎Oct 5, 2016‎

    While the fundamentals are solid, everything else about*climate
    change*is evolving.*Climate science*is advancing and economic
    pressures have dramatically altered the national fuel mix - for the
    better, most agree, though we still have miles to go*...*

    Science of Disbelief: When Did*Climate Change*Become All About
    Politics?
    <http://www.livescience.com/56396-americans-misinformed-on-climate-change.html>

Live Science 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    Barely over a quarter of Americans know that almost
    all*climate*scientists agree that*climate change*is happening and
    that humans are to blame, a new Pew Research Center survey finds.

    What you need to know about Hurricane Matthew:*Climate*change may be
    affecting hurricane patterns
    <http://www.salon.com/2016/10/06/hurricane-matthew-is-the-first-of-many-bigger-badder-storms-resulting-from-climate-change-experts-say_partner/>

Salon 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    Even as we wait to see the effects from this category 4 hurricane,
    it's worthwhile to consider the views of experts on hurricanes,
    disaster response and*climate*change. On the 10-year anniversary of
    Hurricane Katrina, Kerry Emanuel from MIT wrote that*...*

*Washington Post special on science/climate denial
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/brand-connect/bleecker-street/denial/>***and
its relation to holocaust denial, tie-in to the new Rachel Weisz movie.
Worth
spreading…http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/brand-connect/bleecker-street/denial/

    4 Reasons the Paris Agreement Won't Solve*Climate Change*
    <http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/10/06/4-reasons-paris-agreement-wont-solve-climate-change>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    Many hail the Paris agreement—set to cross the threshold this week
    to come into effect—as a panacea for global*climate change*. Yet
    tragically, this perspective neglects to take into account the
    scientific reality of our*climate*system, which tells a*...*

*Vote Climate Candidates says Climate Scientist
<https://youtu.be/AK5MJf0QAqA?t=10m3s>*
https://youtu.be/AK5MJf0QAqA?t=10m3s

    Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard Paulifor
    http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for citizens
    and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.The
    .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and election purposes and
    cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. The list membership
    is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted to this
    mailing list.
    Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
    citizens, representatives and candidates