[TheClimate.Vote] Oct 15, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sat Oct 15 10:34:53 EDT 2016

//* Confirm your voter registration, <https://www.vote.org/>////Go to
Vote.org <https://www.vote.org/>////*
*/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming /

*Global deal reached to limit greenhouse gases in effort to fight
climate change
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-hfcs-reduction-deal-global-warming-20161014-story.html>*

    Chicago Tribune, Nations have reached a deal to limit the use of
    greenhouse gases far more powerful than carbon dioxide in a major
    effort to fight climate change...The talks on hydrofluorocarbons, or
    HFCs, have been called the first test of global will since the
    historic Paris Agreement to cut carbon emissions was reached last
    year. HFCs are described as the world's fastest-growing climate
    pollutant and are used in air conditioners and refrigerators...The
    agreement announced Saturday morning, after all-night negotiations,
    caps and reduces the use of HFCs in a gradual process beginning in
    2019 with action by developed countries including the United States.
    More than 100 developing countries, including China, will start
    taking action in 2024...A small group of countries including India
    and some Gulf states secured a later start in 2029, saying their
    economies need more time to grow...

*
****Drone footage shows total devastation of Hurricane Matthew in N.
Carolina (PHOTOS, VIDEOS)
<https://www.rt.com/usa/362709-nc-hurricane-matthew-flooding-rivers/>*

    She was stranded in her house for three days with her two dogs ‒ one
    of whom is still there ‒ before she was rescued by her son and
    nephew, rather than by emergency responders.
    https://www.rt.com/usa/362709-nc-hurricane-matthew-flooding-rivers/
    They "saved me ‒ walking through the water, climbing through trees,
    because there were trees down," she said. She doesn't know where her
    horses are. "The water is up to your neck coming out of the house.
    The house is destroyed."

*Hurricane Matthew Killed Millions of Farm Animals in North Carolina
<http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/10/hurricane-matthew-killed-animals-hog-poop?mc_cid=9f10947c5a&mc_eid=7e24fc0e68>*

       It also likely caused massive amounts of toxic hog poop to flow
    into rivers and streams....Rivers in eastern North Carolina, still
    swollen from Hurricane Matthew's downpours, are flooding a region
    that teems with hog and poultry farms. As many as 5 million chickens
    and turkeys had already died as of Wednesday, Reuters reports. The
    North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality has so far not
    released an estimate of hog deaths, but they could be steep....In
    recent years, North Carolina's eastern counties have seen hundreds
    of industrial-scale chicken houses appear, adding yet another source
    of concentrated manure. They, too, are prone to flooding, ...

*Environmentalists fear coal ash spills from flooding
<http://www.wral.com/environmentalists-fear-coal-ash-spills-from-flooding/16111388/>*

    GOLDSBORO, N.C. — Thousands of gallons of water flowed out of a
    cooling pond at a retired Duke Energy power plant on Wednesday after
    part of the retaining wall on the 545-acre pond gave way.
    *Donation pages Website:* www.foodbankcenc.org
    <http://www.foodbankcenc.org> (Food Bank of Central and Eastern
    North
    Carolina)https://secure2.convio.net/fbnc/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app274b?df_id=10383&mfc_pref=T&10383.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=B12C9C7FCF04B0F0060F94161D2BFB63

    Here's a tweet from the food bank people can
    RT.:https://twitter.com/FoodBankCENC/status/786209339682021376
    <https://twitter.com/FoodBankCENC/status/786209339682021376>

*Climate scientists published a paper debunking Ted Cruz
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/oct/14/climate-scientists-published-a-paper-debunking-ted-cruz>*

    Earth's atmosphere is warming faster and more in line with models
    than Ted Cruz and his witnesses argued...A new study
    <http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0333.1> has
    just appeared in the Journal of Climate
    <http://journals.ametsoc.org/toc/clim/current> which deals with an
    issue commonly raised by those who deny that human-caused climate
    change is a serious risk. As I have written many times, we know
    humans are causing the Earth's climate to change. We know this for
    many reasons....First, we know that certain gases trap heat; this
    fact is indisputable. Second, we know that humans have significantly
    increased the amount of heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere.
    Again, this is indisputable. Third, we know the Earth is warming
    (again indisputable). We know the Earth warms because we are
    actually measuring the warming rate in multiple different ways.
    Those measurements are in good agreement with each other....Of
    course there is other evidence too. For instance, ice loss across
    the globe is widespread: in the Arctic, the Antarctic ice shelves,
    Greenland, and from land glaciers. Sea levels are rising as warm
    water expands in volume and as melt waters flow into the ocean. We
    are also seeing changes of weather patterns and climatic zones
    shift. The point is, there is a whole body of evidence that proves
    the climate is changing and the change is caused largely by human
    emissions of greenhouse gases

*(book review) Climate*Emergency: Global Insurgency
<http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/10/14/climate-emergency-global-insurgency>

    Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    (Common Dreams editor's note: The new, updated 2016 edition of
    Jeremy Brecher's*Climate*Insurgency: A Strategy for Survival, from
    which the following is drawn, can be now be downloaded for free at
    the author's website here <http://www.jeremybrecher.org/>... as Bill
    McKibben has said, "Fighting one pipeline at a time, the industry
    will eventually prevail."[1] Is there a plausible strategy for
    escalating today's campaigns against fossil fuel infrastructure to
    create an effective challenge to the escalating climate threat? How
    can we get the power we need to counter climate catastrophe? My book
    Climate Insurgency: A Strategy for Survival (download) grapples with
    that question and proposes a possible strategy: a global nonviolent
    constitutional insurgency. Now that strategy is being tried – and
    may even be overcoming some of the obstacles that have foiled
    climate protection heretofore. ...A constitutional insurgency
    declares a set of laws and policies themselves illegal but does so
    on the basis of existing constitutional principles. Such an
    insurgency, as described by legal historian James Gray Pope, "goes
    outside the formally recognized channels of representative politics
    to exercise direct popular power, for example through extralegal
    assemblies, mass protests, strikes, and boycotts."[3] It is not
    formally a revolutionary movement because it does not challenge the
    legitimacy of the fundamental law; rather, it asserts that current
    officials are in violation of the very laws that they themselves
    claim provide the justification for their authority. ...world's
    people have a right and a duty to protect the climate – and that no
    government can legitimately stop them. The U.S. organizers of Break
    Free From Fossil Fuels issued this "Public Trust Proclamation":
    We Are Here to Defend the Climate, the Constitution, and the Public
    Trust
    We are here to help our community, our country, and the world Break
    Free From Fossil Fuels.
    While we may risk arrest, we commit no
    crime.....http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/10/14/climate-emergency-global-insurgency

    Calling All*Climate*Activists: "Go Out and Get Yourself in Some Holy
    Trouble"
    <http://www.yesmagazine.org/planet/calling-all-climate-activists-go-out-and-get-yourself-in-some-holy-trouble-20161014>

    YES! Magazine 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    Necessity was also behind Tuesday's pipeline shutdown by activist
    group*Climate*Direct Action, O'Hara said, pointing to research that
    shows we cannot remain under the Paris agreement's*global
    warming*limit of 2 degrees Celsius if we burn the fossil.. ...A
    handful of climate activists turned off the flow of Canadian tar
    sands oil through pipelines in Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and
    Washington on Tuesday, Oct. 11. Five who cut chains and turned
    pipeline valves and five more supporters were arrested. They face a
    range of charges, including criminal trespass, sabotage, burglary,
    and criminal mischief. *...*

*The Courage to Embrace Radical Choices in the Face of the Climate and
Food Crisis
<http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/10/14/courage-embrace-radical-choices-face-climate-and-food-crisis>*

    The theme for this year's World Food Day is "Climate is changing.
    Food and agriculture must too." ....First, we must decrease
    agriculture's contribution to the climate problem. Roughly 13% of
    global emissions come directly from agricultural production, in
    particular through industrial meat production and consumption and
    the production and use of synthetic mineral nitrogen
    fertilizers....Beef and dairy are particularly problematic.
    Scientists have estimated that if we reduce meat consumption in the
    global North to the world's average—about 35 kg/year/person—we could
    cut in half the greenhouse emissions coming from the livestock
    sector....If we switch from synthetic nitrogen sources—which require
    very high temperatures as well as natural gas as feedstock in their
    production, which alone contributes 1% of total global emissions
    annually—to organic sources of nitrogen fertilizer, we can further
    dramatically reduce emissions from the agriculture sector....The
    other essential strategy is to build resilience in our farming
    systems. One way to do this is by paying attention to the health of
    our soils. By deliberately building soils with natural
    fertility-enhancing technologies—including manure, compost, and
    cover cropping—we can increase their fertility at the same time we
    increase their water-holding capacity. Soils can withstand longer
    dry periods and can absorb more rainwater in extreme precipitation
    events. For example farmers in Zambia, working with the Kasisi
    Agricultural Training Center, were able to increase their yields and
    soil moisture using agroecological practices, which led to an
    overall increase in household food security....Another essential
    element of a resilience-building strategy is seed and crop
    diversity. By increasing the diversity in their fields, farmers
    create a buffer against variable weather and the changing climate.
    One year might be drier and the next wetter. Growing a range of
    crops, and different varieties of their staple crops, helps them
    continue to produce food even as conditions change. But to keep pace
    with changing climates, farmers not only need seeds, they need
    knowledge of successful climate adaptation practices, and networks
    to share knowledge and seeds. The Farmer-Scientist Partnership for
    Development—MASIPAG in its Philippine acronym —is a shining example
    of such a network: joining tens of thousands of farmers across the
    Philippines, working together with scientists, to share both
    knowledge and seeds better adapted to changing climatic conditions.

*Breakage of monumental BC iceberg quietly sounds climate change alarm
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/breakage-of-monumental-bc-iceberg-quietly-sounds-climate-change-alarm/article32341873/>*

    The Globe and Mail-Oct 12, 2016
    A massive chunk of ice – thought to be the largest iceberg to ever
    break off a glacier in Canada – fell into a lake in British Columbia
    this summer and no one noticed until a U.S. scientist saw it on a
    NASA photo...The 1.2-square-km iceberg calved from the tongue of the
    glacier in northwest B.C. in late summer. It was photographed when a
    NASA Earth Observations (NEO) satellite passed over the remote
    region on Aug. 27...*.Dr. Mauri Pelto,* professor of environmental
    science at Nichols College in Massachusetts and director of the
    North Cascade Glacier Climate Project for more than 25 years, said
    the Porcupine Glacier retreated nearly two kilometres in one leap
    when the iceberg broke off....But even in that northern latitude,
    glaciers are undeniably feeling the heat of /climate change/, Dr.
    Pelto said. "I have worked on over 200 glaciers ..
    https://glacierchange.wordpress.com

*This day in Climate History **October 15, 2014  :* From D.R. Tucker

    *Exxon, Shell Carbon Emissions Rise Though Pumping Drops
    <http://www.wsj.com/articles/exxon-shell-carbon-emissions-rise-though-pumping-drops-1413329329>***
    "Exxon Mobil Corp. and Royal Dutch Shell PLC are emitting more
    carbon dioxide despite tapping less oil and natural gas.   ..."For
    every barrel they pump, the two biggest Western oil companies
    generated 10% more in greenhouse gases each last year than they did
    in 2011, according to company data..."The rise in such emissions,
    which trap heat in the atmosphere, in part stems from the mounting
    difficulty of getting oil and gas out of the ground. Much of the
    energy companies’ new production comes from projects that consume a
    lot of fuel, such as cooling natural gas to a liquid state for
    transport, or heating and processing oil that is too heavy to flow
    on its own."The Wall Street Journal reports (subscription):
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/exxon-shell-carbon-emissions-rise-though-pumping-drops-1413329329

              ========================  #### ===========================

        ***Instructions: *
        select one story that interests you,
        contact one candidate, or one representative in your government,
        one friend, or one neighbor,
        discuss the issue with them,
        forward this email to someone you know.

        You may subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.
        Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
        citizens, representatives and candidates Go to Vote.org to
        confirm you're registered to vote <https://www.vote.org/>