[TheClimate.Vote] Oct 19, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Wed Oct 19 10:02:54 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming  October 19, 2016/

    With No Illusions, Says*Climate*Leader, Clinton Must Be Elected—Then
    Fiercely Confronted
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/10/18/no-illusions-says-climate-leader-clinton-must-be-elected-then-fiercely-confronted>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    The day after the election, the climate movement will 'need to press
    harder than ever for real progress on the biggest crisis the world
    has ever faced.'.. And when faced with the choice between a
    "horror," and a politician who—through growing pressure from
    concerned citizens—has shown she can be pushed on issues related
    to*climate*, McKibben reasons, he'll take the latter.... Those
    feelings... were compounded after WikiLeaks revealed this weekend
    that behind closed doors Clinton defended natural gas and fracking,
    and said that environmental activists should "get a life."...Those
    damning email leaks only further underscored what McKibben describes
    as Clinton's "craven" silence over the Dakota Access Pipeline
    fight...."Even the sight of attack dogs being used on peaceful
    Native American protesters didn't move her to break ranks with her
    industry allies and that fraction of the labor movement that still
    wants to build pipelines," he writes. "That's craven on her part,
    pure and simple."...The "good news," McKibben concludes, "is that
    when she wins, none of us will be under the slightest illusion about
    who she is." ...And the day after she's elected, he says, that's
    when the environmental movement will truly need to kick into
    gear...."The honeymoon won't last 10 minutes," he says, "on November
    9 we'll be organizing for science and human rights and against the
    timid incrementalism that marks her approach. It's clear that we
    need to beat the creepy perv she's running against. It's also clear
    that we then need to press harder than ever for real progress on the
    biggest crisis the world has ever faced."...Bill McKibben, author
    and co-founder of 350.org, minces no words addressing those
    environmentally-minded voters who are fretting over the mixed record
    of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton: Elect her, "and
    then give her hell."

    Hottest Months on Record Have Something in Common
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/hottest-months-global-warming-20797>

Climate Central 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    The global average temperature is the clearest indicator of*climate
    change*and each month on record is a testament to what's happening
    to the planet because of human carbon pollution.

*It could be the nation's first carbon tax. And environmentalists are
fighting over it
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/10/17/it-could-be-the-nations-first-carbon-tax-and-environmentalists-are-fighting-over-it/?postshare=6311476715239575&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.4b104ba8548a>*

    A new initiative slated for the ballot in Washington state next
    month would create the first-ever carbon tax to be implemented in
    the United States. But while the initiative promises to fight
    climate change by making it more expensive to emit greenhouse gases,
    it's caused an unexpected controversy among
    environmentalists....Despite the endorsement of dozens of climate
    scientists and economists, many environmental groups have refused to
    support it at all, citing concerns about the proposal's revenue
    projections, its approach to the involvement of disadvantaged
    communities, and a lack of true investment in clean
    energy....Initiative 732 began as a grassroots campaign known as
    Carbon Washington, founded by environmental economist and stand-up
    comedian Yoram Bauman. If successful, it would become one of just a
    few ever to be implemented in North America and the first in the
    United States.
    *The left vs. a carbon tax
    <http://www.vox.com/2016/10/18/13012394/i-732-carbon-tax-washington>*
    Dave Roberts:  .... carbon tax on the ballot ... meant not just to
    put the state on the path to its climate targets but to serve as an
    example to other states. ... I-732 .. would do four things:
    *Impose a tax on carbon emissions,*
    *Reduce the state sales tax by 1 percentage point.*
    *Fund the working families tax rebate (WFTR),*
    *Eliminate the business and occupation tax on manufacturing.*
    First is the large, predictable, and steadily rising price on
    carbon, something climate policy analysts have been advocating for
    decades as the most cost-effective way to reduce emissions...
    liberal groups in Washington believe ...that its policy is fatally
    incomplete and insufficient.... it's worse than incomplete — they
    think it would set back climate progress. They really, really hate
    it, perhaps more than can be fully explained through policy
    disagreements....Talks between Washington's environmental groups
    reach a standoff...The left in Washington state has largely
    abandoned I-732

    The Missing*Climate Change*Debate
    <https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-10-18/climate-change-belongs-in-the-next-presidential-debate>

Bloomberg 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    For a presidential campaign notable for dark warnings of the coming
    apocalypse, the one thing that actually could bring about an
    apocalypse --*climate change*-- has been conspicuously absent from
    the debates. A final chance to raise the issue will come ...

    Stop waiting for a big breakthrough on*climate change*. This is what
    we'll get instead.
    <http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2016/10/17/13304052/climate-policy-aviation-paris-hfcs>

Vox 	 -‎16 hours ago‎

    Global warming can sometimes feel like this big, hopelessly
    intractable problem that no one's doing much about. But the first
    two weeks of October have seen a genuinely impressive barrage of
    climate action around the world.... 1) Canada got a carbon tax., 2)
    The Paris climate deal went into effect.,3) A new global deal on
    aviation emissions.,4) A new global deal to phase out HFCs.....Not
    bad for half a month! Gernot Wagner, an economist at Harvard's
    School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, called it a “masterclass
    in climate policy.” You've got carbon pricing, international
    agreements, offsets ... all the stuff environmental wonks have been
    suggesting for years....*Of course, we're still not close to
    stopping global warming*...
    Now, if you wanted to inject some pessimism here, you could point
    out the very real limitations of all these moves. Even added
    together, they don't get us anywhere close to keeping global warming
    below 2°C (or 3.6°F) — the level governments all agree is
    unacceptable....Nor are we yet on a trajectory to do so. If you take
    all the policy promises that nations proposed at Paris last year
    (which included reducing HFCs), they still put us on pace for 2.5°C
    or 3°C or more of warming. And that's assuming countries actually
    hit their pledges, which they may not. Case in point: A recent study
    in Nature Climate Change warned that the US could miss its targets
    due to excess methane emissions....I'm deeply skeptical that
    countries can achieve their goal of keeping global warming below
    2°C. The math is too brutal, the momentum too sluggish. But that
    doesn't mean it's time to give up. Even keeping global warming at
    2.5°C or 3°C is vastly preferable to 4°C or 5°C. Every additional
    degree means more coastal area lost to the sea, more crop failures,
    more deadly heat waves, more human misery. There's always reason to
    push harder.

*Show this cartoon to anyone who doubts we need huge action on climate
change
<http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2016/10/17/13190036/global-climate-change-facts-effects-cartoon>*

      It's a crisp fall day. So why would you believe Earth is in a dire
    situation?...all the fossil fuels — oil, coal, and natural gas —
    that humans have identified as recoverable with current technology.
    The black spot is what we're currently harvesting with mines and
    wells...So what if, tomorrow, all the world leaders got together and
    decided to stop building new mines and wells?...if we were able to
    keep it at that amount, what would happen?...The kicker is that even
    in this crazily ambitious scenario, we have to rely on "negative
    emissions" technologies that pull carbon out of the air and bury
    it....The problem: We have no clue if that's even
    possible....Negative emissions technologies have not been tested or
    proven at any scale. We are literally gambling our species' future
    on the idea that we're going to be able to invent it and scale it up
    to enormous size ... by 2065...No country is taking this long shot
    seriously. This means Earth will probably warm past 2 degrees. It's
    terrifying.

*The West Is Burning, And Climate Change Is Partly To Blame
<http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-west-is-burning-and-climate-change-is-partly-to-blame/>*

    California's Soberanes Fire, which was sparked by an illegal
    campfire in July, is still smoldering. The effort it took to contain
    that blaze is believed to be one of the most expensive — if not the
    most expensive — wildfire-fighting operations ever....With wildfire,
    such superlatives have, paradoxically, become normal. Records are
    routinely smashed — for acreage burned, homes destroyed, firefighter
    lives lost and money spent fighting back flames. A study published
    earlier this year found that, between 2003 and 2012, the average
    area burned each year in Western national forests was 1,271 percent
    greater than it was in the 1970s and early 1980s....Abatzoglou and
    his co-author, Park Williams, a bioclimatologist at Columbia
    University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, estimate that
    human-caused climate change was responsible for nearly doubling the
    area burned in the West between 1984 and 2015. If the last few
    decades had been simply dry, instead of some of the hottest and
    driest on record, perhaps 10.4 million fewer acres would have
    burned, they say.

*This day in Climate History **October 19, 1992:*
<https://youtu.be/jCGtHqIwKek?t=27m25s> From D.R. Tucker
---------------------------------------------- *
*

      In the third presidential debate
    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCGtHqIwKekhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCGtHqIwKek>,
    President George H. W. Bush accuses Democratic challenger Bill
    Clinton and his running mate, Senator Al Gore, of pandering to "the
    spotted owl crowd or the extremes in the environmental movement" by
    supporting an increase in fuel efficiency standards. Clinton defends
    the idea of raising fuel efficiency standards; in addition, he
    states, "We also ought to convert more vehicles to compressed
    natural gas. That's another way to improve the environment."
    (26:30-29:00)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCGtHqIwKek>=jCGtHqIwKek
    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCGtHqIwKek>

              ========================  #### ===========================

        ***Instructions: *
        select one story that interests you,
        contact one candidate, or one representative in your government,
        one friend, or one neighbor,
        discuss the issue with them,
        forward this email to someone you know.

        You may subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.
        Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
        citizens, representatives and candidates Go to Vote.org to
        confirm you're registered to vote <https://www.vote.org/>