[TheClimate.Vote] Oct 21, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Fri Oct 21 09:47:24 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming October 21, 2016/

    *Climate Change*Got Exactly 2 Seconds of Time in the Final Debate
    <http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/10/climate-change-got-exactly-2-seconds-time-final-debate>

Mother Jones 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    Five minutes and twenty-seven seconds were spent on*climate
    change*and other environmental issues in the three presidential
    debates, 2 percent of the total time—and that was pretty much all
    Hillary Clinton talking.

    Criminally irresponsible' media avoid*climate*debate questions
    <https://thinkprogress.org/media-avoid-climate-debate-questions-again-d820db6daff7>

    *Climate*silence lives. Despite pleas from editorial writers,
    columnists, and scientists, Chris Wallace, the moderator of the
    third and final presidential debate ignored arguably the most
    important issue facing the next president -*climate change*. Thus*..***

    Editorial Cartoon <Philly.com:Signe%20Wilkinson>
    ****Philly.com:Signe Wilkinson
    <http://cdn.app.theweek.com/editions/com.dennis.theweek.issue.issue794/data/47155_82eced2bcc3ee5b77aa99e78648296ec/web.html>**

    Ice Detectives Scramble before*Climate Change*Destroys Evidence of
    Itself
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ice-detectives-scramble-before-climate-change-destroys-evidence-of-itself/>

Scientific American 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    Late this past summer researchers and engineers from France, Italy
    and Russia extracted three ice cores from France's Col du Dôme
    Glacier in a race to preserve valuable information about*climate
    change*before rising temperatures wash it away. There is*...

    *

*Study: Human-Caused Climate Change Has Doubled Western U.S. Forest Fire
Area
<http://www.uidaho.edu/news/news-articles/news-releases/2016-october/101016-forestfires>*

    ...unmitigated human-caused climate change will likely have a
    growing effect on fire seasons — like the drum section of the
    orchestra growing louder and louder...."We expect that the effects
    of human-caused climate change will intensify over the next several
    decades. So long as there are trees in our forests, climate change
    will continue to set the table for large fire seasons."

*Exclusive: Q&A with Filmmaker Deia Schlosberg on Her Arrest While
Filming an Activist Shutting Down a Tar Sands Pipeline
<http://www.desmogblog.com/2016/10/19/exclusive-qa-deia-schlosberg-her-arrest-while-filming-activist-shutting-down-tar-sands-pipeline>*

    DeSmogBlog:  On October 11, 2016, award-winning documentary
    filmmaker Deia Schlosberg was arrested in North Dakota while filming
    an activist with Climate Direct Action as he turned off a
    TransCanada oil sands pipeline crossing from Canada into the United
    States. It was one of five actions that shut down all pipelines
    carrying tar sands into the U.S. from Canada that day....In an
    exclusive interview with DeSmog, Schlosberg shares her experience,
    including what it's like being a reporter facing felony accounts
    with a potential maximum sentence of 45 years, her reaction when
    Edward Snowden tweeted about her, and a message for other
    journalists covering climate change and the oil and gas industry.
    ..."I did not ever intend to be the story. It's safe on this side of
    the camera usually," Schlosberg told DeSmog. .
    http://www.desmogblog.com/2016/10/19/exclusive-qa-deia-schlosberg-her-arrest-while-filming-activist-shutting-down-tar-sands-pipeline
    'I Was Doing My Job': Climate Reporter Facing 45 Years Speaks Out -
    https://www.mintpressnews.com/job-climate-reporter-facing-45-years-speaks/221584/
    Journalists Risk Legal Battles & Prison Time For Covering Dakota
    Access Pipeline Protests -
    http://www.mintpressnews.com/journalists-risk-legal-battles-prison-time-covering-dakota-access-pipeline-protests/221612/
    https://www.mintpressnews.com/job-climate-reporter-facing-45-years-speaks/221584/

*
Judge: EPA must analyze jobs lost in coal industry
<http://powersource.post-gazette.com/powersource/policy-powersource/2016/10/19/Judge-EPA-must-analyze-jobs-lost-in-coal-industry-Murray-Energy/stories/201610190154>*

    BECKLEY, W.Va. — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency must begin
    evaluating how many power plants and coal mining jobs are lost
    because of air pollution regulations, an analysis it hasn't done in
    decades, a federal judge in West Virginia on Monday
    ordered....Murray Energy Corporation brought the challenge years ago
    and was joined by most of the companies mining coal underground.
    Thirteen states support the suit, which blames the EPA for the coal
    industry's declining fortunes....The most that the EPA does is
    "conduct proactive analysis of the employment effects of our
    rulemaking actions," but that has not included investigating power
    plant and mine closures and worker dislocations on an ongoing basis,
    the judge wrote.

    Arctic Cities Crumble as*Climate Change*Thaws Permafrost
    <https://www.wired.com/2016/10/thawing-permafrost-destroying-arctic-cities/>

WIRED 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Cracking and collapsing structures are a growing problem in cities
    like Norilsk—a nickel-producing centre of 177,000 people located 180
    miles above the Arctic Circle—as*climate change*thaws the
    perennially frozen soil and increases precipitation*...
    *More at:
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/oct/14/thawing-permafrost-destroying-arctic-cities-norilsk-russia,
    The attack on the permafrost. MOE creates Arctic rescue centers
    <The%20attack%20on%20the%20permafrost.%20MOE%20creates%20Arctic%20rescue%20centers>(Translate
    w Google) *,
    Russia significantly under-reporting wildfires, figures show
    <https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/16/russia-significantly-under-reporting-wildfires-figures-show>
    *Changes in the 1963–2013 shallow ground thermal regime in Russian
    permafrost regions*
    <http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/10/12/125005/meta;jsessionid=988198CE07A3443E077F281ED3228354.c2.iopscience.cld.iop.org>

    *

    US health insurers are in a state of denial about*climate change*
    <http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-health-insurers-are-paying-little-heed-to-climate-change-2016-10-20>

MarketWatch 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    Ceres found that while property and casualty insurers and life and
    annuity insurers have made some progress in engaging with*climate
    change*and attempting to evaluate the risks to their business,
    health insurers appear to be in a state of denial*...*

*9 cities to live in if you're worried about climate change
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/20/science/9-cities-to-live-in-if-youre-worried-about-climate-change.html?_r=0>*

    It's hard to imagine that any city in North America will escape the
    effects of climate change within the next 25 years.
    ... But some will be better positioned than others ....advice: If
    you're looking for a place to live, pay attention to the qualities
    of the cities more than the specific locations..."I don't care if
    you found the safest place in the U.S.," .... "We're all going to
    pay, we're all going to suffer that economic disruption, we're all
    going to pay for that relocation."
    *Portland, Me.*
    Midwestern trifecta: *Detroit, Chicago and Madison, Wis. *
    *San Francisco**
    **Boise, Idaho**
    **New York City**
    **State College, Pa.**
    **Toronto*

*This day in Climate History **October 21, 2001:*
<http://articles.latimes.com/2001/oct/21/opinion/op-59754> From D.R.
Tucker ---------------------------

    October 21, 2001: In the Los Angeles Times, Bill McKibben notes that
    in the aftermath of 9/11, the George W. Bush administration might
    want to consider "[taking] the money now used to subsidize fossil
    fuels and nuclear power and [using] it instead to jump-start the
    conversion to renewable energy sources, which by their nature are
    decentralized, flexible and unappealing to terrorists. Take, for
    example, wind power. It is already the fastest-growing power source
    on Earth, mostly because it's environmentally benign. But now we
    know it's a security asset as well. An enemy could knock out one
    windmill, but it wouldn't spew radioactivity and it wouldn't damage
    all the other windmills. No one is standing guard around the clock
    on their rooftop solar panel."....It's hard enough to defend our oil
    supplies in the Mideast. It is impossible to imagine a fatter, or
    less defensible, terrorist target than the Alaska
    pipeline....Unless, that is, one looks at the handful of natural gas
    pipelines that serve our East Coast. Or the two dozen refineries
    concentrated in Texas, Louisiana and California that process a huge
    percentage of the oil we use....It's a happy coincidence that clean
    power is also secure power. The sooner we get to work on it, the
    sooner we'll be able to cross one item off our list of
    worries.http://articles.latimes.com/
    <http://articles.latimes.com/2001/oct/21/opinion/op-59754>2001/oct/21/opinion/op-59754
    <http://articles.latimes.com/2001/oct/21/opinion/op-59754>

              ========================  #### ===========================

        ***Instructions: *
        select one story that interests you,
        contact one candidate, or one representative in your government,
        one friend, or one neighbor,
        discuss the issue with them,
        forward this email to someone you know.

        You may subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.
        Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
        citizens, representatives and candidates Go to Vote.org to
        confirm you're registered to vote <https://www.vote.org/>