[TheClimate.Vote] Oct 22, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sat Oct 22 12:21:14 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming October22,2016/
*
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-capsule-before-the-flood-review-20161017-snap-story.html>**The
Leonardo DiCaprio documentary "Before the Flood" premieres in New York
and Los Angeles.
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-capsule-before-the-flood-review-20161017-snap-story.html>*

    ... unlike Al Gore, he quickly ditches the lectern and instead
    traverses the Earth on a show-and-tell mission to see what isn’t and
    is being done to reverse the wretched consequences of man-made
    global warming...is a bit pat, and it’s hard to see how it will
    reach beyond core believers and the already curious, “Before the
    Flood” is neither dull screed nor stat-heavy pamphlet, thanks
    largely to the questing intensity of its marquee guide.. .
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-capsule-before-the-flood-review-20161017-snap-story.html

    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/movies/before-the-flood-review-leonardo-dicaprio.html
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5929776/

    The latest disaster risk from climate change — huge glacial floods
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/10/21/the-latest-disaster-risk-from-climate-change-huge-glacial-floods/>

Washington Post 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    (This story has been updated.)...We all hear about how the glaciers
    of Greenland and Antarctica are losing ice, and so threatening to
    raise our sea levels — perhaps quite dramatically. But mountain
    ranges across the globe are also strewn with far smaller glaciers
    that are suffering perhaps an even bigger wallop from rising
    temperatures — and now, new research suggests their retreat could,
    quite literally, be deadly in some cases to communities living
    below....In a new study in the journal The Cryosphere, Simon Cook of
    Manchester Metropolitan University in the U.K. and British and
    Bolivian colleagues examine the mountain glaciers of the Bolivian
    Andes in particular, which are typically classified as "tropical
    glaciers." That’s no oxymoron — the Andes feature such high
    elevations that even tropical or equatorial countries can have
    glaciers. The average elevation in the Andes is around 13,000 feet,
    and according to Cook, Bolivia alone contains about a fifth of the
    world's tropical glaciers. ...The warming climate is almost
    certainly to blame. Previous reports have suggested that
    temperatures in the region have risen by about 0.15 degrees Celsius
    each decade between 1950 and 1994 and may be warming at an even
    higher rate now...."Not only have they got reduced meltwater, but
    they’re going to be directly in the path of some of these potential
    floods, if they occur," he said.

    Washington State can lead on*climate change*by passing I-732
    <http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/washington-can-lead-on-climate-change-by-passing-i-732/>

The Seattle Times 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    WASHINGTON has a singular opportunity, with approval of Initiative
    732, to address the threat of*climate change*and alter the
    ineffectual course of national*climate*policies. As if that isn't
    enough, Washington voters also would be sending a broader*...*

    *Climate*scientist Michael Mann's new book says*climate*denial is
    'driving us crazy'
    <https://thinkprogress.org/toles-mann-madhouse-96eb1c4c747a>

ThinkProgress 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

    In their new book, The Madhouse Effect, renowned*climate*scientist
    Michael Mann and Washington Post cartoonist Tom Toles dive into the
    science and politics of*global warming*. The authors sat down with
    ... That ultimately led to our publisher suggesting*...*

    Exxon Heads for Courtroom Faceoff With N.Y. in Climate Probe ...
    <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-21/exxon-heading-for-courtroom-showdown-with-n-y-in-climate-probe>

Bloomberg 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

    Exxon Mobil Corp. is headed to a courtroom in New York for the first
    time to try to block the state's demand for accounting documents
    about how climate change ...

    Editorial: Don't let Congress block historic*climate change*deal
    <http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/editorial-dont-let-congress-block-historic-climate-change-deal/>

Chicago Sun-Times 	 -‎12 hours ago‎

    Trump's uninformed dismissal of the threat of*climate change*and
    other environmental issues strongly suggests he would not pursue
    American ratification of the Kigali accord.

*This day in Climate History **October 22, 2007:*
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/holocausts/?_r=0> From
D.R. Tucker ---------------------------

    October 22, 2007: NASA climate scientist James Hansen declares:
    *"Coal will determine* whether we continue to increase climate
    change or slow the human impact. Increased fossil fuel CO2 in the
    air today, compared to the pre-industrial atmosphere, is due 50% to
    coal, 35% to oil and 15% to gas. As oil resources peak, coal will
    determine future CO2 levels. Recently, after giving a high school
    commencement talk in my hometown, Denison, Iowa, I drove from
    Denison to Dunlap, where my parents are buried. For most of 20 miles
    there were trains parked, engine to caboose, half of the cars being
    filled with coal. If we cannot stop the building of more coal-fired
    power plants, those coal trains will be death trains – no less
    gruesome than if they were boxcars headed to crematoria, loaded with
    uncountable irreplaceable species."
    http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/holocausts/?_r=0

              ========================  #### ===========================

        ***Instructions: *
        select one story that interests you,
        contact one candidate, or one representative in your government,
        one friend, or one neighbor,
        discuss the issue with them,
        forward this email to someone you know.

        You may subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.
        Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
        citizens, representatives and candidates Go to Vote.org to
        confirm you're registered to vote <https://www.vote.org/>