[TheClimate.Vote] September 9, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Fri Sep 9 03:44:44 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming - September 9, 2016/

*(video) Exclusive Obama Interview on 'Terrifying' Threat of Climate
Change | The New York Times <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpzuGfZ7xrY>*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpzuGfZ7xrY

    NYTimes.com <http://nytimes.com/> releases an extensive interview
    with President Obama on the climate crisis, the importance of
    protecting future generations, and the stubbornness of deniers in
    Congress.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/us/politics/obama-climate-change.html

Op-Ed Bill McKibben: Hillary Clinton needs to take a stand on the Dakota
Access Pipeline
<http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-mckibben-standing-rock-sioux-clinton-20160907-snap-story.html>

    The Democratic platform is great, and maybe there's a chance she'll
    pay attention to it...When native protesters tried to get in the
    way, the company sicced guard dogs on them...And not a peep from the
    woman who would be president.....The people who've built Clinton's
    campaign war chest and her personal fortune are the same people who
    paid for the dogs that bit young native Americans last week...It's
    clear that Clinton would like to run out the clock on this election;
    she figures that Trump's obvious incompetence will guarantee her
    victory. But sometimes things happen. The fight at Standing Rock is
    a big damned thing. It's a Flint-in-the-making, and it's also a
    chance to for once do right by the continent's oldest inhabitants.
    Surely Hillary Clinton can rise to the occasion. Can't she?

    The Latest: South Dakota tribe files lawsuit over pipeline
    <http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/texas/article/The-Latest-North-Dakota-activates-Guard-for-9210377.php>

Houston Chronicle 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    The Yankton Sioux Tribe in southern South Dakota has sued federal
    regulators for approving permits for the Dakota Access Pipeline that
    will move oil from North Dakota to Illinois....The tribe filed the
    lawsuit Thursday against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which
    issued permits for the project. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
    is also a defendant....The lawsuit, which asks that the Corps-issued
    permits be vacated, says the pipeline's route passes through the
    tribe's treaty lands. It says construction activities in that area
    will "destroy sites of enormous cultural importance," causing
    "injury" to the tribe on a cultural, spiritual and historical
    level....The Corps did not immediately return a call seeking comment
    Thursday evening...The lawsuit was filed ahead of a federal judge's
    impending ruling on a request by the Standing Rock Sioux to stop the
    four-state pipeline.

    'Game Changing'*Climate*Disclosure Guidelines Coming Soon
    <http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2016/09/08/425850.htm>

Insurance Journal 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    A global task force's efforts to create new disclosure guidelines
    for the world's financial industry – including insurers in the U.S.
    and abroad – are far from the first attempt to urge companies to be
    open with the public about the risks they face from climate
    change....Yet those involved with drafting them are calling them a
    "game changer."...In its efforts to formulate the guidelines the
    task force is considering the physical, liability and transition
    risks associated with climate change, as well as what constitutes
    effective financial disclosures across industries....Members of the
    task force will meet next week in Paris to talk about their work,
    including a presentation of Phase I of the report, which was first
    released in March. That laid out the objectives for the proposed
    work and fundamental principles of disclosure....In November the
    final guidelines, to be outlined in Phase II, are set to be
    presented to the FSB, and then they're expected to be published in
    December.

*Climate Anxiety Counseling: Sankofa World Market, 9/1/16
<https://climateanxietycounseling.wordpress.com/>*

    CLIMATEANXIETYCOUNSELING Let's talk together about the changing
    world. The doctor is in.
    I wanna be an adult and buy property, but I'm worried if I go too
    far south it's gonna be dry, and I don't wanna move too far north. I
    don't wanna buy property along the coast.  Should I think more about
    farming my own sustenance?
    It sounds like you're worried that you might not be able to have the
    life you imagined.
    Yeah. The old models that my parents used to plan their future don't
    apply anymore.
    http://www.farmfresh.org/food/farmersmarkets_details.php?market=622

Conservative media bias is inflating American climate denial and
polarization
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/sep/06/conservative-media-bias-is-inflating-american-climate-denial-and-polarization>

    New studies show that climate polarization is on the rise in the US;
    WSJ climate coverage is full of denial....A new study by a team of
    sociologists at Oklahoma State University has found political
    polarization on climate change is growing in the United States.
    Today's Republicans are less likely than they were a decade ago to
    accept that the effects of global warming have begun, that humans
    are responsible, and that there is a scientific consensus on these
    questions. Democrats and independents are slightly more likely to
    answer these questions correctly today than a decade ago....Climate
    change is now more polarizing in the US than abortion or gay
    marriage. At the same time, climate denial has become the norm among
    Republican policymakers, as they've grown increasingly
    anti-environment. ...As the study notes: "What was once a modest
    tendency for Congressional Republicans to be less pro-environmental
    than their Democratic counterparts has become a chasm—with
    Republicans taking near-unanimous anti-environmental stances on
    relevant legislation in recent years, especially 2015."...But
    there's a limit to what the President of the United States can do on
    his or her own. US Congress still controls American climate policy,
    or the lack thereof. As long as the conservative media continues to
    misinform readers and breed a conservative culture of climate
    denial, American efforts to tackle the threat of climate change will
    be constrained, and the future of human society and of the
    Republican Party will be endangered.

    Do teachers'*climate change*beliefs influence students?
    <http://phys.org/news/2016-09-teachers-climate-beliefs-students.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    "While students generally mirror a teacher's belief that*global
    warming*is happening, when it comes to the cause of*climate change*,
    students reason for themselves and reach different conclusions than
    their teachers do." Stevenson said the study*...*

*
****(Book) The Great Derangement   CLIMATE CHANGE AND THE UNTHINKABLE
<http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/G/bo22265507.html>*

    Are we deranged? The acclaimed Indian novelist Amitav Ghosh argues
    that future generations may well think so. How else to explain our
    imaginative failure in the face of global warming? In his first
    major book of nonfiction since In an Antique Land, Ghosh examines
    our inability—at the level of literature, history, and politics—to
    grasp the scale and violence of climate change. Quotes from the book
    <http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/G/bo22265507.html>.

    Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard Paulifor
    http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for citizens
    and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.The
    .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and election purposes and
    cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. The list membership
    is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted to this
    mailing list.
    Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
    citizens, representatives and candidates