[TheClimate.Vote] September 10, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sat Sep 10 03:18:13 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming - September 10, 2016/

*Federal Government Halts Work on Part of Pipeline Project*
<http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/key-ruling-dakota-access-pipeline-due-end-friday-41967632>

    The US Department of Justice, the US Department of the Interior, and
    the US Army Corps of Engineers just issued a statement  saying that
    the Corps will not allow construction on the easement the company
    has until they've done a review about whether they need to do a full
    environmental review, (which is what Sen. Sanders amendment
    yesterday would have required) ...The DOJ/DOI/USACOE have also
    invited the tribes to D.C. to come talk to them on a
    government-to-government basis about the nature of consulting with
    tribes when these kinds of projects are being built in general.
    ...So, we should keep the pressure on the Corps to do this
    environmental review thoroughly and in close consultation with the
    tribes.

*Demonstration Sept 13th President Obama: Stop the Dakota Access
Pipeline! <https://www.facebook.com/events/336913836658578/>*

    On Tuesday, September 13th, people around the country aretaking part
    in a day of action in solidarity <http://stopdakotaaccess.com> with
    the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the Dakota Access Pipeline.
    ...calling on President Obama to instruct the Army Corps of
    Engineers to revoke the permits for this dirty oil pipeline....For
    months, indigenous activists have set up prayer camps along the
    pipeline route in a historic feat of nonviolent resistance. Tribal
    Nations are taking The Army Corps of Engineers to court over the
    unjust pipeline approval process, but President Obama could step in
    any time and say "no" to this whole thing, like he did for Keystone
    XL....The Dakota Access Pipeline must be stopped. This pipeline
    would carry toxic fracked oil from North Dakota across four states,
    and under the Missouri River immediately upstream from the Standing
    Rock Sioux Nation. It is a threat to the sacred land and water of
    native communities and a disaster for the climate...  So far there
    are more than 30 events in 20 different states. Host recruitment is
    just starting in earnest, so we expect these numbers to spike today
    and tomorrow.... Bernie Sanders will be speaking at the D.C. event
    alongside Tara Houska and other indigenous leaders....The event map
    where you can sign up to host or attend events can be found here:
    http://stopdakotaaccess.com... Thousands will gather across the
    country calling for President Obama to stop the Dakota Access
    Pipeline. This is the most high profile environmental fight in our
    country right now, and President Obama has the power to intervene
    and stop this pipeline in its tracks, just like he did with Keystone
    XL... The Dakota Access pipeline would carry 450,000 barrels of
    dirty oil per day from North Dakota to Illinois, cutting through
    land and water sacred to the tribes. Worse, the pipeline would cross
    under the Missouri River, threatening drinking water downstream if a
    catastrophic oil spill occurs. http://stopdakotaaccess.com...

    <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-filmfestival-tiff-beforetheflood-idUSKCN11F2W7>

    DiCaprio's 'Before The Flood' aims to make*climate*a US election
    issue
    <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-filmfestival-tiff-beforetheflood-idUSKCN11F2W7>

Reuters 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    TORONTO Hollywood heartthrob and environmental activist Leonardo
    DiCaprio said he rushed to release his upcoming*climate
    change*documentary "Before the Flood" ahead of November's U.S.
    presidential elections to issue a clarion call to U.S. voters in
    time to influence their decisions..."We wanted this film to come out
    before the next election because ... the United States is the
    largest contributor to this issue," DiCaprio said to the audience
    after the film's world premiere at the Toronto International Film
    Festival on Friday..."We cannot afford, at this critical moment in
    time, to have leaders in office that do not believe in the modern
    science of climate change," he added...The film follows the
    Oscar-winning DiCaprio and actor-filmmaker Fisher Stevens as they
    travel from Canada's oil sands to tiny Pacific islands, interviewing
    world leaders such as the Catholic Church's Pope Francis and U.S.
    President Barack Obama, climate scientists and
    academics...DiCaprio's interview subjects discuss and document the
    negative impacts of industrialization and increasing consumption on
    the health of the planet..."The fact that we are still debating any
    of this is just utter insanity to me," DiCaprio said. ..."Before the
    Flood" is out in New York and Los Angeles theaters on Oct. 21 and
    airs on National Geographic Channel globally on Oct. 30.

*Intelligence Director on climate as "underlying meta-driver of
unpredictable instability"
<https://climateandsecurity.org/2016/09/09/intelligence-director-on-climate-as-underlying-meta-driver-of-unpredictable-instability/>*

    Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, recently addressed
    the 2016 INSA & AFCEA Intelligence & National Security Summit. He
    spoke specifically to national intelligence during a time of
    transition between administrations, and how looking out at potential
    future failures and collapses over the coming decades, climate
    change will be "an underlying meta-driver of unpredictable
    instability."....Clapper's remarks covered the existing security
    landscape that will continue through to the next administration,
    regardless of who becomes Commander In Chief. He calls it "a world
    of unpredictable instability." From his remarks:...This upcoming
    transition will happen at a particularly, I think, difficult time as
    we're facing the most complex and diverse array of global threats
    that I've seen in my 53 years or so in the intelligence business. So
    we are living in what I've come to call a world of unpredictable
    instability, in which two-thirds of the nations around the world are
    at some risk of instability in the next few years....The
    Intelligence Community spends a lot of time trying to predict where
    this "world of unpredictable instability" will lead to state
    failures and collapses, as well as trying to reduce uncertainty for
    decision-makers. Director Clapper continued..." climate change is
    going to be an underpinning for a lot of national security issues.
    The effect on climate, which drives so many things ‐‐ availability
    of basics like water and food, and other resources, which are
    increasingly going to become matters of conflict, and already are,
    between and among countries. And so this is going to give rise to
    national security insight that we'll need to understand this and
    hopefully help anticipate it.  So I think climate change over time
    is going to have a (inaudible) effect on our national security
    picture.....Director Clapper highlighted that the Intelligence
    Community is a "pillar of stability" during elections and traditions
    between administrations. Decision-makers should heed their warning
    on climate change, now and throughout the coming decades. Otherwise,
    this world of "unpredictable instability" will get even more
    unpredictable, and more unstable.

    Lawsuit Filed to Protect Sea Life From Ocean Acidification,*Climate
    Change*
    <http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2016/09/08/lawsuit-filed-protect-sea-life-ocean-acidification-climate-change>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎12 hours ago‎

    SAN FRANCISCO - The Center for Biological Diversity sued the U.S.
    Environmental Protection Agency today for failing to set new
    water-quality standards to combat ocean acidification or respond to
    a three-year-old Center petition demanding the agency address this
    growing threat to marine life. Despite scientific consensus that
    federal water-quality standards are outdated and inadequate to
    protect marine life from the corrosive effects of ocean
    acidification, the EPA has ignored its legal duties to update the
    standards..."The EPA is ignoring the threat of ocean acidification,
    and that's very dangerous. We need to act now to protect oysters,
    corals and other marine animals that are already being hurt by the
    deadly effects of ocean acidification," said Emily Jeffers, a Center
    attorney....The Center's legal petition, filed in April 2013,
    requested that the EPA develop new water-quality standards to
    monitor and detect ocean acidification as required by the Clean
    Water Act. Such standards are the foundation of the Act and provide
    a basis for water-quality monitoring, identifying impaired waters
    and controlling water pollution. In 2010 the agency acknowledged
    that it has the duty and authority to address ocean acidification
    under the Clean Water Act. ...

    Yes,*Climate Change*Does Kill People of Color More
    <http://www.newsweek.com/black-lives-matter-right-climate-change-race-problem-kill-minorities-people-496723>

Newsweek 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

    *Climate*scientists, governments, civil society and anyone else
    thinking rationally recognize that the impact of our carbon
    pollution will mean failing agriculture, greater food insecurity,
    more intense droughts and floods, record-breaking super*...*

    Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard Paulifor
    http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for citizens
    and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.The
    .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and election purposes and
    cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. The list membership
    is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted to this
    mailing list.
    Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
    citizens, representatives and candidates