[TheClimate.Vote] September 14, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Wed Sep 14 03:24:12 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming - September 14, 2016/

*Ship found in Arctic 168 years after doomed Northwest Passage attempt
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/12/hms-terror-wreck-found-arctic-nearly-170-years-northwest-passage-attempt>*

    The long-lost ship of British polar explorer Sir John Franklin, HMS
    Terror, has been found in pristine condition at the bottom of an
    Arctic bay, researchers have said, in a discovery that challenges
    the accepted history behind one of polar exploration’s deepest
    mysteries....HMS Terror and Franklin’s flagship, HMS Erebus, were
    abandoned in heavy sea ice far to the north of the eventual wreck
    site in 1848, during the Royal Navy explorer’s doomed attempt to
    complete the Northwest Passage....All 129 men on the Franklin
    expedition died, in the worst disaster to hit Britain’s Royal Navy
    in its long history of polar exploration. Search parties continued
    to look for the ships for 11 years after they disappeared, but found
    no trace, and the fate of the missing men remained an enigma that
    tantalised generations of historians, archaeologists and
    adventurers....Now that mystery seems to have been solved by a
    combination of intrepid exploration – and an improbable tip from an
    Inuk crewmember....On Sunday, a team from the charitable Arctic
    Research Foundation manoeuvred a small, remotely operated vehicle
    through an open hatch and into the ship to capture stunning images
    that give insight into life aboard the vessel close to 170 years ago.

    *Climate change*'significant and direct' threat to US military:
    reports
    <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climatechange-idUSKCN11K0BC>

Reuters 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    A separate report by a panel of retired military officials, also
    published on Wednesday by the Center for *Climate*and Security, said
    more frequent extreme weather is a threat to U.S...."There are few
    easy answers, but one thing is clear: the current trajectory of
    climatic change presents a strategically-significant risk to U.S.
    national security, and inaction is not a viable option," said a
    statement published on Wednesday by the Center for Climate and
    Security, a Washington-based think tank.

        Military experts say*climate change*poses 'significant risk' to
        security
        <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/14/military-experts-climate-change-significant-security-risk>

    A coalition of 25 military and national security experts, including
    former advisers to Ronald Reagan and George W Bush, has warned
    that*climate change*poses a "significant risk to US national
    security and international security" that requires more attention
    from the US federal government....The prominent members of the US
    national security community warned that warming temperatures and
    rising seas will increasingly inundate military bases and fuel
    international conflict and mass migration, leading to "significant
    and direct risks to US military readiness, operations and
    strategy".*...*"*It’s hard to energize people now, but it’s too late
    when the water is around your ankles,*"* he said, *"*People can say
    the temperature hasn’t followed the models but I can read a
    thermometer and a flood gauge. We need to do this threat analysis
    now.*"**

    "It's Time We Were Heard": Another Day in Court for*Climate*Kids
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/09/13/its-time-we-were-heard-another-day-court-climate-kids>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    In a federal courthouse in Oregon on Tuesday, 21 youths and their
    supporters argued that by failing to act on*climate change*, the
    U.S. government has violated the youngest generation's
    constitutional rights. .... Olson will argue that the federal
    government, by failing to adequately regulate greenhouse gas
    pollution and by continuing to lease new federal lands and waters
    for fossil fuel extraction, as recently as this year, is violating
    the kids' constitutional right to life, liberty, and property.
    (Warming is causing the seas to rise, for example, and one plaintiff
    lives in coastal Florida). She'll also claim that children are a
    class that's being discriminated against when it comes to climate
    change: They're not causing this problem, and yet they will be
    disproportionately subjected to its dire consequences....The aim of
    the suit is to have a court—the Supreme Court, if the suit advances
    that far through the legal system—to require the federal government
    to address climate change more aggressively through laws and
    regulations. Lawyers in the case draw comparisons to the federal
    response to Brown v. Board of Education, the 1954 Supreme Court
    decision that required the desegregation of schools. In that case,
    "judges found there were fundamental constitutional rights to
    equality and courts supervised the enforcement of those rights,"
    Mary Christina Wood, a law professor at the University of Oregon,
    told Bill Moyers.com last year. Our Children's Trust is hoping for a
    similar outcome on the issue of climate change.

*Media Call Out Trump For Dodging Science Questions And Providing Vague
Answers
<http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/09/13/media-call-out-trump-dodging-key-science-questions/213045>*

    Climate change stands out as perhaps the most egregious area of
    disagreement between the two candidates, given its stakes and the
    significant scientific consensus that humans have caused it. Trump,
    who has previously called global warming a "hoax," referred to
    climate change in quotation marks and suggested that "there is still
    much that needs to be investigated." Clinton offered an abbreviated
    recap of her plan to address the issue and called it "a defining
    challenge of our time."... Global warming may be the issue with the
    most obvious contrast, but it is far from the only area where the
    difference is stark. On protecting ocean health, for instance,
    Clinton wrote more than 400 words, citing a federal law that
    protects fisheries and alluding to a plan to promote coastal
    restoration.... Trump wrote just two sentences on the same topic,
    saying he would "establish priorities" about how the federal
    government spends money (presumably with little room for oceans).
    Trump also questioned the premise of questions of biodiversity,
    public health and food. "The implication of your question is that
    there should be central control of American agriculture by the
    federal government," Trump wrote in response to a question on food.
    "That is totally inappropriate." [Time, 9/13/16]

*Western US faces wildfires explosion
<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/western-us-faces-wildfires-explosion/>*

    Wildfires used to hit California only in the latter part of the
    year, but changing climate and persistent drought mean they are now
    a constant threat.... five drought years mean there is no moisture
    in the vegetation...."When we get these fires now, we are seeing
    what we call explosive fire growth," Mohler told the NPR radio
    network...."And now the explosive fire growth statewide is
    unfortunately the new normal. We’re seeing fire conditions that are
    unprecedented. In my 22 years [in the fire service], I haven’t seen
    fire move like I have this year."...

    CO2,*Climate Change*Seen As Waste Disposal Challenge
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/co2-climate-change-waste-disposal-challenge-20692>

Climate Central 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    That's why some scientists are increasingly looking at*global
    warming*as a waste disposal problem. They say that thinking of
    emissions in terms of trash that needs to be taken out may draw more
    attention to something called negative carbon emissions*....*"*If
    you dig up a ton of CO2, you have to remove a ton of CO2,*"* he
    said. *"*If I were to dump garbage in front of my house, my
    neighbors would be upset with me, and I would not make things less
    tense if I promised to research the problem and figure out how to
    reduce my garbage production by embracing more modern methods and
    much higher efficiency. In the end, I have to get rid of the
    garbage....both carbon dioxide removal and drastic emissions cuts
    are necessary to stop global warming....*"*We can’t stop (emissions)
    in time to avoid harmful climate change, and we need to start
    working backward as soon as we can,*"* Lackner said. *"*Of course,
    we need to do all the other things as well to stop emissions.
    Negative emissions combined with positive emissions will not get us
    there.*"*
    *

    Rifts are forming in the GOP on*climate*and clean energy. Here's how
    they could be exploited.
    <http://www.vox.com/2016/9/13/12862360/gop-climate-clean-energy-faison>

Vox 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    Last week, I wrote about new research showing that partisan
    polarization on*climate change*is worse than ever. In a nutshell,
    fewer than half of US Republicans acknowledge anthropogenic*climate
    change*or worry about its impacts. This is rather alarming*...*

    Scientific organizations must be braver in
    confronting*climate*denial
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-supran/scientific-organizations_b_11990708.html>

Huffington Post 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Exxon is a company that has spent decades perfecting the art
    of*climate science*disinformation. Decades orchestrating, funding,
    and perpetuating campaigns designed to confuse the public, sabotage
    science, and slander scientists, many of whom are AGU ...AGU’s
    decision is an implicit sanction, however unintentional, for Exxon
    to attack science and scientists. It is a failure to protect the
    integrity of science - and scientists themselves - against those who
    undermine our very raison d’être: truth and knowledge.

    Record-smashing August means long-awaited 'jump' in*global
    warming*is here
    <https://thinkprogress.org/global-warming-jump-419da72c9215>

ThinkProgress 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    We appear to be in the midst of the long-awaited jump in global
    temperatures. And that means "The kinds of extreme weather we have
    seen over the past year or so will be routine all too soon, but then
    even worse records will be set," as Kevin Trenberth*....That’s where
    we are. Global temperatures often jump over a couple years, then
    they rise more slowly, like a staircase (or ladder) where the steps
    are sloped up. The climate science deniers make a lot of noise
    during the short periods of slower warming, and stay strangely quiet
    during the jumps. Go figure!...Trenberth explains that *"*the nature
    of the changes going on now suggest that we have made another step
    up the ladder to another rung, and we won’t go down again.*"* That
    means the recent bouts of extreme weather *"*will be routine all too
    soon, but then even worse records will be set. It is not something
    to welcome and it is hard to plan for.*"*.*

    Russian scientists are 'besieged' by polar bears at a remote Arctic
    post
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/09/13/russian-scientists-are-besieged-by-polar-bears-at-a-remote-arctic-post/>

Washington Post 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    A team of Russian weather experts claim that their station on an
    ice-covered Arctic isle is "besieged" by polar bears, according to a
    report by Russian news agency TASS....The five researchers charged
    with staffing the outpost on Troynoy Island say that there are about
    10 adult polar bears as well as cubs circling their base. A female
    polar bear spends nights perched outside the station's windows,
    making it dangerous for the scientists to exit. They have reportedly
    run out of flares and have lost at least one of their dogs to the
    arctic beasts...The presence of the polar bears has made carrying
    out meteorological observations difficult, reports TASS. Russian law
    outlaws killing polar bears, a globally-listed endangered species,
    so scientists in the Arctic are mostly equipped with flares and guns
    with rubber bullets.

    *Arctic residents issued rubber bullets to shoot at polar bears
    <http://siberiantimes.com/ecology/others/news/n0384-arctic-residents-issued-with-rubber-bullets-to-shoot-at-polar-bears/>*

    It is illegal to shoot and kill polar bears but now residents in the
    Siberian Arctic are being issued with rubber bullets amid fears of
    attacks by the animals. Flare pistols are also used to scare away
    the bears....Two places in the Siberian north are in particular
    danger - the villagers of Amderma, population 350, and the occupants
    of a lonely weather station on the island of Vaygach, between the
    Pechora and Kara seas. Until now the two female scientists and one
    male engineer have had no weapons to protect themselves from the
    bears which come close....One of the women reported: 'They sleep
    near the houses. Two of them walk together. They are aggressive.
    Recently they fought together near our house.'...Employees of the
    station go out twice daily to take measurements at the sea. 'This is
    dangerous: these people need to walk a few hundred metres,' reported
    WWF Russia....The meteorologist added: 'So we go, your head rotating
    360 degrees. Yesterday we came out and a bear was near the house.
    Three times our engineer fired a small flare pistol and the bear was
    not even scared. We managed to scare it off with a flare, but not far.'
    Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard Paulifor
    http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for citizens
    and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.The
    .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and election purposes and
    cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. The list membership
    is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted to this
    mailing list.
    Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
    citizens, representatives and candidates