[TheClimate.Vote] September 18, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sun Sep 18 09:07:27 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming September 18, 2016/

<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/fossil-fuels-investment-nosedive/>

    *Climate*disruption is fueling stronger storms
    <http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-09-17/climate-disruption-fueling-stronger-storms>

PRI 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    After historic rains fell on parts of Louisiana - an estimated 7.1
    trillion gallons, three times as much as Hurricane Katrina - NOAA
    published a report which said that*climate change*made the storm at
    least 40 percent more likely today than a hundred*..*."I don't
    recognize the climate anymore,"* says Jeff Masters, the director of
    meteorology for Weather Underground. *"*I look at the weather maps
    in the morning, sometimes afraid of what I'm going to see. It's just
    gotten so insane. The climate of the 20th century is gone. The
    climate I knew is not here anymore. We're in an entirely new climate
    regime, and it is extremely intense.*" ...**It probably will
    accelerate for the next couple of decades and then it is my guess
    that it will level off some. The pace of change right now is at a
    maximum. The amount of carbon dioxide we're putting into the air is
    still increasing each year and that's going to keep the acceleration
    rate of the change in the weather systems going. But at the same
    time, *in a few decades, the ocean temperatures are going to be well
    beyond what they are now, and we're going to see some really extreme
    storm behavior I think.  Even once it does start to level off, it'll
    level off at this extreme level that is going to be difficult for
    society to adjust to.* ...Transcript at:
    http://loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=16-P13-00036&segmentID=1**
    **

*Fossil fuels investment takes nosedive*
<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/fossil-fuels-investment-nosedive/>

    A revolution is taking place in the global energy sector, with
    investments in oil and gas declining by 25% in 2015 while energy
    produced from renewables rose by more than 30%....In part, the
    decline in investments in oil and gas was due to the lower costs of
    crude oil and other products of the fossil fuels
    industry....Although investment in renewables has been more or less
    the same in each of the last four years, increased efficiencies and
    lower capital costs resulted in a third more electricity being
    produced from these technologies in 2015...."A major shift in
    investment towards low carbon sources of power generation is under
    way," the IEA report says. "Fossil fuels continue to dominate energy
    supply, but the composition of investment flows points to a
    reordering of the system."

*Why the Native American pipeline resistance in North Dakota is about
climate justice
<https://theconversation.com/why-the-native-american-pipeline-resistance-in-north-dakota-is-about-climate-justice-64714>*

    ...But there is more to this story, as climate change and U.S.
    colonialism against indigenous peoples are closely related...While
    "colonialism" is not a term many nonindigenous persons typically use
    even in climate activism, it is the academically rigorous term for
    describing a significant part of the political relationship between
    the U.S. and indigenous peoples. It also sheds important light on
    indigenous understanding of what climate justice really means and
    what solutions are required....So as the protests and legal battles
    over the construction of the pipeline continue, we need to realize
    that protection of sacred sites and worries over contaminated water
    supplies are simultaneously concerns about climate justice and its
    relation to U.S. colonialism. Nonindigenous environmentalists are
    only allies if they work broadly toward decolonization, instead of
    aligning with indigenous peoples only when a particular issue, such
    as opposition to one pipeline, seems to match their interests.

*(video) Jim Hansen: Hell Will Break Loose - Ice Melt, Sea Level Rise
and Superstorms* <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLk8Uy2-Lsk>

    YouTube Video  15 mins The main point that I want to make concerns
    the threat of irreparable harm, which I feel we have not
    communicated well enough to people who most need to know, the public
    and policymakers. I’m not sure how we can do that better, but I
    comment on it at the end of this transcript. ..In response to the
    study outlined here, NASA launched a new operation to assess ice
    melt, OMG (Ocean Melting Greenland). https://omg.jpl.nasa.gov...Sign
    up for Dr. James Hansen's email list to receive his latest
    communications: http://bit.ly/1UzeHI1...Subscribe to Hansen's
    YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn3Y.....Read the
    study: Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from
    paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2
    °C global warming could be
    dangerous...http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/16/376...

    *Global Warming*and the Future of Humanity: An Interview With Noam
    Chomsky and Graciela Chichilnisky
    <http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/37631-global-warming-and-the-future-of-humanity-an-interview-with-noam-chomsky-and-graciela-chichilnisky>

Truth-Out 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    C. J. Polychroniou: A consensus seems to be emerging among
    scientists and even political and social analysts that*global
    warming*and*climate change*represent the greatest threat to the
    planet. Do you concur with this view, and why? Noam Chomsky:If
    current tendencies persist, the outcome will be disastrous before
    too long. Large parts of the world will become barely habitable
    affecting hundreds of millions of people, along with other disasters
    that we can barely contemplate. *...Anything feasible and
    potentially effective should be explored. There is little doubt that
    a significant part of any serious solution will require advances of
    technology, but that can only be part of the solution. Other major
    changes are necessary. Industrial production of meat makes a huge
    contribution to global warming. The entire socioeconomic system is
    based on production for profit and a growth imperative that cannot
    be sustained....There are also fundamental issues of value: What is
    a decent life? Should the master-servant relation be tolerated?
    Should one's goals really be maximization of commodities -- Veblen's
    *"*conspicuous consumption*"*? Surely there are higher and more
    fulfilling aspirations. *YouTube *
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgNTVvAbfMw>*Noam Chomsky on
    Climate Change 2016
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgNTVvAbfMw>*"it can't be
    underestimated you, and your generation are going to have to make a
    decision now as to whether organized human life will continue on the
    earth."*

    Ghost Forests' Appear As Rising Seas Kill Trees
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/ghost-forests-appear-as-rising-tides-kill-trees-20701>

Climate Central 	 -‎Sep 15, 2016‎

    .Seas are rising worldwide because of the warming effects
    of*greenhouse gas*pollution from fossil fuels and farms. Several
    feet of*sea level rise*is projected this century as the pace
    of*climate change*accelerates. That rise will inundate
    infrastructure*...Seas are rising worldwide because of the warming
    effects of greenhouse gas pollution from fossil fuels and farms.
    Several feet of sea level rise is projected this century as the pace
    of climate change accelerates. That rise will inundate
    infrastructure, homes and ecosystems. Efforts to switch to clean
    energy, protect forests and revamp farming and transportation could
    curb the inundations ahead....The mid-Atlantic is sinking faster
    than nearly anywhere else. The Gulf Stream has been shifting
    northward, bringing warmer water to the region, accelerating sea
    level rise. Meanwhile, groundwater pumping and natural geological
    processes are causing lands to sink...High tides rose here by
    several inches during a recent decade. That was more than three
    times faster than the average rate of sea level rise worldwide,
    simulating conditions expected globally during decades to come.*

    Why a Donald Trump Victory Could Make*Climate* Catastrophe
    Inevitable
    <http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/09/donald-trump-brexit-paris-accord-climate-change>

Mother Jones 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    ... general accord about the ..need to cap*global warming*at 1.5 to
    2 degrees Celsius (or 2.6 to 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit) before a
    planetary catastrophe ensues.  (nations) disagreed*...**As a result,
    the fate of the planet rests on the questionable willingness of each
    of those countries to abide by that obligation, however sour or
    bellicose its relations with other signatories may be. As it
    happens, that part of the agreement has already been buffeted by
    geopolitical headwinds and is likely to face increasing turbulence
    in the years to come... however, Great Britain's astonishing Brexit
    vote has complicated the task of ensuring the European Union's
    approval of the agreement, as European solidarity on the climate
    issue—a major factor in the success of the Paris negotiations—can no
    longer be assured. *"*There is a risk that this could kick EU
    ratification of the Paris Agreement into the long grass,*"* suggests
    Jonathan Grant, director of sustainability at
    PricewaterhouseCoopers.*. At this point, electing green-minded
    leaders, stopping climate deniers (or ignorers) from capturing high
    office, and opposing fossil-fueled ultranationalism is the only
    realistic path to a habitable planet.** *
    *

    Australia's wheat crop threatened as*La Nina climate*indicator
    rises: anal...
    <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-wheat-lanina-idUSKCN11M0FK>

Reuters 	 -‎Sep 15, 2016‎

    SYDNEY The quality of Australia's near-record wheat crop will likely
    be hit, as a sudden spike in a*climate*indicator shows there is a
    high chance of crop-damaging rains linked to a*La Nina*weather event
    over the next few months, analysts and traders said.

Climate Cast - Minnesota Public Radio News
<https://www.mprnews.org/podcasts/climate-cast>
Audio news reports - weekly, on climate change topics.  Subscribe via
iTunes.

    Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard Paulifor
    http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for citizens
    and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.The
    .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and election purposes and
    cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. The list membership
    is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted to this
    mailing list.
    Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
    citizens, representatives and candidates