[TheClimate.Vote] April 20, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Apr 20 10:27:42 EDT 2017

/April 20, 2017 /

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/04/19/the-surface-of-antarctica-is-covered-with-flowing-water-that-has-scientists-worried/

    Scientists have discovered vast systems of flowing water in
    Antarctica. And that worries them.
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/04/19/the-surface-of-antarctica-is-covered-with-flowing-water-that-has-scientists-worried/>

Washington Post 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    The surface of the remote Antarctic ice sheet may be a far more
    dynamic place than scientists imagined, new research suggests.
    Decades of satellite imagery and aerial photography have revealed an
    extensive network of lakes and rivers transporting ...
    Now, the authors of the new research suggest that the transport of
    moving water onto and across Antarctica's ice shelves could make
    them increasingly vulnerable to collapse as melt rates accelerate
    under future climate change...
    When meltwater flows onto a shelf, it can run off into existing
    cracks in the ice, where it may freeze and expand, causing the
    cracks to widen, said Robin Bell, a glaciologist at Columbia
    University and co-author of the new research. Or the water might
    collect in a pool, where "it's basically acting like an additional
    load on the ice shelf, which stresses it and causes it to fail," she
    told The Washington Post
    http://www.climatecentral.org/news/antarctic-surface-melt-widespread-21364
    *Antarctic Surface Melt More Widespread Than Thought
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/antarctic-surface-melt-widespread-21364>*
    By Andrea Thompson
    While most research into Antarctic ice melt has concentrated on the
    impacts of warming ocean waters that are eating away at the ice from
    below, a new continent-wide survey shows that these surface
    meltwater drainage systems are much more prevalent around the
    continent than was previously thought.
    344 | NATURE | VOL 544 | 20 APRIL 2017LETTER  doi:10.1038/nature22048
    Antarctic ice shelf potentially stabilized by export  of meltwater
    in surface river <https://www.nature.com/articles/nature22048.epdf>
    The mélange-terminating Reeve Glacier grounding-line catchment,
    first observed in 1909, was resolved by airborne imagery in 1961 and
    1975 and by commercial high-resolution satellite images from 2014

https://thinkprogress.org/march-set-remarkable-global-warming-record-dfa2349c84c5

    March set a remarkable new record for*global warming*, NOAA reports
    <https://thinkprogress.org/march-set-remarkable-global-warming-record-dfa2349c84c5>

ThinkProgress 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported
    that last month set an unusual and unexpected new record for global
    warming.
    No month before March 2017 had ever exceeded the "normal"
    temperature (the 1981-2010 average) by a full 1.8°F (1.0°C) - "in
    the absence of an El Niño episode in the tropical Pacific Ocean."
    So when a month sees record high global temperatures in the absence
    of an El Niño, that is a sign the underlying global warming trend is
    stronger than ever.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/628-months-since-the-world-had-cool-month-21365

    This Graphic Puts*Global Warming*in Full Perspective
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/628-months-since-the-world-had-cool-month-21365>

Climate Central 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

To say the world is having a streak like no other is an
understatement.*Global warming*has made cold scarce on a planetary scale.

http://forward.com/scribe/369420/the-biggest-threat-to-the-jewish-community-is-climate-change/

    The Biggest Threat To The Jewish Community Is*Climate Change*
    <http://forward.com/scribe/369420/the-biggest-threat-to-the-jewish-community-is-climate-change/>

Forward 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    As Earth Day 2017 approaches (it falls on April 22 this year, which
    also happens to be Shabbat), where are we as human beings? Where are
    we as Jews?...
    My answer will probably not surprise you - we are focusing on the
    wrong things, and we are not doing enough to avert catastrophe...
    The human race, and many of the creations we share this fragile
    planetary ecosystem with, face the most serious threats since the
    last ice age. Although we face many grievous prospects - ocean
    acidification, the loss of the majority of wild animals, crop
    failure, and plastic pollution, to name but a few - one issue looms
    larger than the rest both because of the direct effects it will have
    on the habitability of the earth for us and the likelihood it will
    make some of the above dangers to worsen. That issue is, of course,
    climate change....
    Climate change should be the Jewish community's number one concern.
    It poses more of a long-term threat to world peace than Donald
    Trump, more of a danger to Israel than Palestinians, and more of a
    threat to civil society and the protection of minorities than the
    alt-Right in their wildest wet dreams (don't think about that). For
    the many JuBus (Jewish Buddhists) among us, climate change promises
    to cause more human suffering than desire and the false belief in a
    separate self (unless you posit that climate change is ultimately
    caused by desire and the false belief in a separate self, which I
    guess it is, so score one for you Jewish Buddhists- but that's not
    the point of this article)...
    Scientists point out that the dynamics of climate change are playing
    out much faster than we expected.

http://www.vox.com/videos/2017/4/19/15346442/humans-climate-change-psychology

    Why humans are so bad at thinking about*climate change*
    <http://www.vox.com/videos/2017/4/19/15346442/humans-climate-change-psychology>

Vox 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Video:
    http://www.vox.com/videos/2017/4/19/15346442/humans-climate-change-psychology
    When Per Espen Stoknes looked at polls going back to 1989 assessing
    the level of public concern about climate change in 39 different
    countries, he found a surprising pattern in the data...
    "Incredibly enough, it shows that the more certain the science
    becomes, the less concern we find in richer Western democracies," he
    said. "How can it be that with increasing level of urgency and
    certainty in the science, people get less concerned?"..
    After further research, Stoknes, the author of What We Think About
    When We Try Not to Think About Global Warming, found some answers.
    He examined several hundred peer-reviewed social science studies and
    was able to isolate five main barriers that keep climate messages
    from engaging people, what he calls "the Five Ds": Distance, Doom,
    Dissonance, Denial, and iDentity...
    "I had to cheat a little bit with the last D - I lost one there -
    but it was the closest I could get," he admitted...
    Distance deals with the fact that climate change is presented as far
    away, in both time and space. When climate models talk of 2050 or
    2100, it seems like eons from now. We may feel for polar bears on
    melting ice floes, but they have little bearing on our day-to-day
    lives...
    "Incredibly enough, it shows that the more certain the science
    becomes, the less concern we find in richer Western democracies," he
    said. "How can it be that with increasing level of urgency and
    certainty in the science, people get less concerned?"
    After further research, Stoknes, the author of What We Think About
    When We Try Not to Think About Global Warming, found some answers.
    He examined several hundred peer-reviewed social science studies and
    was able to isolate five main barriers that keep climate messages
    from engaging people, what he calls "the Five Ds": Distance, Doom,
    Dissonance, Denial, and iDentity.
    For some, the uncomfortable feeling of dissonance makes them turn to
    denial, while others avoid the issue or feel powerless to make a
    difference.
    "In terms of behavioral change, we need two things," said Magali
    Delmas, a professor at the Institute of Environment and
    Sustainability at UCLA and the Anderson School of Management. "We
    need first to increase awareness, and then second, we need to find
    the right motivations for people to change their behavior."
    https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/climate-lab

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170418160036.htm

    *Climate change*and risk to fossil fuel industry: Sustainability
    train has left the station
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170418160036.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎22 hours ago‎

Commercial activity in fossil fuels is increasingly at odds with global
actions to reduce the threat of*climate change*. Burning coal, oil, and
natural gas is responsible for two-thirds of humanity's emissions of
greenhouse gases, and yet provides more*.*

http://www.newswise.com/articles/global-warming-and-outdoor-allergies

    *Global Warming*and Outdoor Allergies
    <http://www.newswise.com/articles/global-warming-and-outdoor-allergies>

Newswise (press release) 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

Newswise -*Global warming*and climate change are in the headlines today.
For allergy sufferers, the impact of warmer temperatures on their daily
lives may soon become very apparent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/climate/arctic-plastics-pollution.html

    Trillions of Plastic Bits, Swept Up by Current, Are Littering Arctic
    Waters
    <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/climate/arctic-plastics-pollution.html>

New York Times 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

A photo collage of plastic fragments found in the Arctic Ocean by the
research team. A study published Wednesday shows a major ocean current
is carrying trillions of bits of plastic from the North Atlantic to the
Greenland and Barents seas, and leaving*...*

http://climatenewsnetwork.net/changes-climate-threat-cricket/
*Changes in climate could bowl out cricket
<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/changes-climate-threat-cricket/?utm_source=Climate+News+Network&utm_campaign=a550486580-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_04_19&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1198ea8936-a550486580-38801641>*
It is time for cricket, one of the world's most widely played games, to
start taking the threat posed by global warming seriously.

    By Tanya Aldred
    LONDON, 19 April, 2017 - Cricket's global administrators love a
    board meeting - all mahogany chairs, glass tables and endless
    supplies of upmarket coffee. There is much to discuss, after all.
    Dollars. Participation. TV deals. Future tours. Behaviour.
    Match-fixing. Governance. But one subject is missing.
    Climate change is hardly - if ever - on the agenda, yet, of all the
    major pitch games, cricket will be hardest hit by a warming world.
     From the ochre-coloured Australian outback to the windswept
    Scottish coast, cricket is defined almost entirely by the weather
    conditions. If they change, so does the essence of the game.
    Many of the big cricket-playing nations are on the frontline of
    climate change. In 2016 a major match in India had to be moved due
    to a severe water shortage. And pitches in Bangladesh - a country
    threatened by intense cyclones, rising sea levels and increasing
    temperatures - are also feeling the pressure. ...
    "A match can be changed fundamentally with a simple change in the
    weather," says Seymour.
    "In the morning, sunny conditions make batting easier, because the
    bowlers can't get any movement in the warm, dry air. Cloud cover
    after lunch increases humidity, and the ball starts to move. After a
    shower, conditions change again.
    "Now imagine what happens with climate change. There will be
    alterations to soil-moisture levels, and higher temperatures will
    bring drier air, then drier pitches. This will bring a change to
    grass germination and growth, which in turn affects the pitch and
    outfield."
    In other words, the assumptions we make about English cricket, its
    landscapes and rhythms, will no longer apply. The ball may not move
    in 2025 the way it did in 1985 or 2005. The old-fashioned English
    seamer could be on his last legs....
    The men - and it is still predominantly men - who run the game are
    not scientists or activists: they are often ex-players, sometimes
    businessmen...
    Cricket is slow-bowling its way into the future. It has plenty to
    lose in a warming world. It also has a moral responsibility to act.
    - Climate News Network.

http://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/4/19/15271166/climate-change-religious-arguments

    The religious case for caring about*climate change*
    <http://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/4/19/15271166/climate-change-religious-arguments>

Vox 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Talk about values, not just data: how this minister wants to inspire
    people to take action on protecting the environment.
    As faith communities, we're possessors of a rich language about what
    fundamentally motivates people to address environmental injustices
    and address the climate. When I look at what motivates activists,
    often what gets circulated in some venues is science reports...
    But what actually motivates people is what I have found are the
    three great loves. Love of neighbor: You're aware of the real and
    present suffering climate or pollution are causing right now, so
    you're motivated once you have that awareness. Another is love of
    creation, concern for how our natural world is being decimated,
    extinction of animals, the oceans. The number one motive I've come
    across - although it's not for everyone - is love of children.
    f you're a pastor, a lot of what you're dealing with on a weekly
    basis is people caught in grief. Grief over climate change is real
    and has a significant impact on people. And being in it for the long
    haul is knowing how to wrestle with things like grief. One of the
    best ways to deal with challenging issues and things like grief is
    to not be alone but to be in a community of support and point people
    to resources around them...
    I'm a big fan of the Exodus story. At times we find ourselves with
    our back against the wall or the sea, but at some point the waters
    do part and we're able to walk through. Being able to have those
    stories and connect to what we're going through right now is
    powerful. So whether it's the Exodus story or the story of
    crucifixion and resurrection, these have helped us make our way
    through life, through the climate, and issue after issue over so
    many years.

http://youtu.be/fj84UmmgUWA
<http://youtu.be/fj84UmmgUWA>*This Day in Climate History April 20, 2010
<http://youtu.be/fj84UmmgUWA> -  from D.R. Tucker*
                   The deadly and costly Deepwater Horizon oil spill
takes place.
////safely forward this email./

        . *** Privacy and Security: * NO collecting IP addresses.  This
        is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics nor images which
        may originate from remote servers. Text-only messages provide
        greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List