[TheClimate.Vote] April 21, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Apr 21 10:43:35 EDT 2017

/April 21, 2017 /

https://www.bloomberg.com/climate-changed
*Bloomberg News today announces site devoted to climate change
<https://www.bloomberg.com/climate-changed>*

    /Offers easy to understand, visual explanations of climate change
    issues. /
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-19/how-to-drive-the-world-0ff-a-cliff
    Press release:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bloomberg-climate-change_us_58f7e640e4b0cb086d7dd9e5
    w-rising-temperatures-can-fry-the-economy-video
    Be sure to see:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2017-04-19/how-rising-temperatures-can-fry-the-economy-video
    Climate Changed gives Bloomberg a leg up on The Wall Street Journal,
    arguably its chief competitor in the market for prestige journalism.
    The Rupert Murdoch-owned newspaper's hard-line conservativism
    appears to have bled over from the opinion pages to the news
    section. A study published in 2015 by researchers at Rutgers
    University, the University of Michigan and the University of Oslo
    found that from 2006 to 2011, the Journal's news reporting rarely
    mentioned threats or effects of climate change, compared with the
    country's other leading broadsheet newspapers.

http://www.thetelegram.com/news/local/2017/4/20/media-outlets-around-the-world-fascinated-by-ferryland-iceberg.html
*Media outlets around the world fascinated by Ferryland iceberg
<http://www.thetelegram.com/news/local/2017/4/20/media-outlets-around-the-world-fascinated-by-ferryland-iceberg.html>*

    Image:
    http://www.thetelegram.com/content/dam/tc/the-telegram/images/2017/4/20/tel-a04-21042017-icebergmedia1.png
    Since it floated south into shallow water off the coast of
    Ferryland, the towering iceberg that had everyone clamouring for
    selfies last weekend has made its way around the world.
    Media outlets across the globe seem to be fascinated with the
    gigantic berg, said to measure more than 150 feet tall.
    "Iceberg in Canada taller than one that sank Titanic draws tourists
    to Newfoundland town," reads a headline in the U.K.'s Telegraph.
    Over the past few days, photos of the now-famous Ferryland iceberg
    <http://www.thetelegram.com/content/dam/tc/the-telegram/images/2017/4/20/tel-a04-21042017-icebergmedia1.png>
    have popped up on news sites such as Time, CNN, the New York Times
    and the BBC, as well as sites in Italy, Russia, India, Germany,
    Japan, El Salvador and New Zealand. Some have called it
    "Newfoundland's new tourist attraction."
    Locals and regulars to the province know the berg is magnificent,
    but hardly part of a new attraction — these glacial masses are more
    than 10,000 years old, according to "Icebergs of Newfoundland and
    Labrador" author Stephen Bruneau, and up to 800 of them can make
    their way down to St. John's from western Greenland every spring.
    ... the Province's Icebergfinder.com <http://icebergfinder.com/>
    website, which currently shows close to 40 icebergs in a range of
    sizes mapped between southern Labrador and the southern portion of
    the Avalon Peninsula. Pack ice — of which there's been plenty this
    year — protects the icebergs from being beaten by the waves and
    allows them to last longer, Bruneau states.
    http://icebergfinder.com/
    *IcebergFinder.com 90% of them are underwater, Find the rest here
    <http://icebergfinder.com/>*
    The icebergs you see on IcebergFinder.com come from two sources:
    visual sightings from our on-the-ground ambassadors and satellite
    detections from C-CORE using data from the European Space Agency
    (ESA) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
    also:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/world/canada/iceberg-ferryland-newfoundland.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiq_XcsikYE
*(video) Climate Change and Post-Truth Politics (UK)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiq_XcsikYE>*

    2016 was a good and bad year for efforts to tackle climate change.
    The good news is that 120 parties have ratified the Paris
    Convention; the bad news is the emergence of post-truth politics and
    the associated denial of the evidence that climate change is a
    threat to our future. Leading environmentalist and Member of UK
    House of Lords John Krebs discusses the trends and their
    implications for global efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
    Recorded on 01/25/2017. Series: "Bren School of Environmental
    Science & Management" [4/2017] [Show ID: 31961]   57 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqTOEospfo
*(video) Science in America - Neil deGrasse Tyson
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqTOEospfo>*/     ( 4 mins - recent
viral momentum/)

    "Exercise in finding what is true"    We offer this 4min video on
    "Science in America", containing what may be the most important
    words Neil deGrasse Tyson has ever spoken.  Redglass Pictures is an
    award-winning production studio co-founded by Sarah Klein and Tom
    Mason and based in New York City. Their body of work is defined by a
    simple idea: that short, cinematic storytelling has the power to
    touch, teach, and change people. No matter the story or subject,
    their vision remains the same: give viewers something to care about
    – something that sticks with them long after the end frame.
    http://www.redglasspictures.com/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/magazine/why-the-menace-of-mosquitoes-will-only-get-worse.html
*Why the Menace of Mosquitoes Will Only Get Worse
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/magazine/why-the-menace-of-mosquitoes-will-only-get-worse.html>*

    Climate change is altering the environment in ways that increase the
    potential for viruses like Zika.
    West Nile was not new to the United States. It had been a minor
    summer threat since August 1999, when it made 17 people sick in New
    York City. That was the virus's first entry into the country, and it
    expanded through it thereafter. It landed in Dallas in 2002,
    sickening 202 people and killing 13. ..
    ... Warmer weather encourages food-borne organisms like salmonella
    to multiply more rapidly, and warmer seas foster the growth of
    bacteria like Vibrio that make oysters unsafe to eat. Spikes in heat
    and humidity have less visible effects, too, changing the numbers
    and distribution of the insect intermediaries that carry diseases to
    people...
    ...in the year since that first Houston case, it has become clear
    that the United States is more vulnerable to Zika than anyone
    thought....The best defense against Aedes mosquitoes turns out to be
    not big municipal gestures but small individual actions: destroying
    their habitat by emptying the pools of water where they reproduce,
    and keeping them from eating by repairing windows screens and
    wearing bug repellent.
    "Climate change is a threat multiplier," Katharine Hayhoe, one of
    those researchers and a director of Texas Tech's Climate Science
    Center, told me. "If there's one overarching theme that connects
    almost every way that climate change impacts us, it's that climate
    change takes a risk that already exists and enhances it. It's not
    inventing something new. It's taking something that we've already
    dealt with before, but giving it that extra oomph that makes it a
    bigger problem."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-20/natural-gas-moves-to-the-naughty-list
*Natural gas moves to the naughty list.
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-20/natural-gas-moves-to-the-naughty-list>*

    By Jennifer A Dlouhy, Mark Chediak Bloomberg Businessweek Apr 20
    Power plants around the world are stepping up their use of gas as a
    fuel because it burns cleaner than coal—and in the U.S., at least,
    it's cheaper. Gas now supplies about a third of the country's power,
    up from just 17 percent a decade ago.
    U.S. environmentalists have vowed to go after gas-fired power plants
    with the same vengeance they've used to force the retirements of
    hundreds of coal facilities. Even coal miners are warning their
    fossil fuel kin to beware. more…

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170418-how-western-civilisation-could-collapse
*How Western Civilisation Could Collapse*
Some possible precipitating factors are already in place. How the West
reacts to them will determine the world's future.

    By Rachel Nuwer    18 April 2017
    The political economist Benjamin Friedman once compared modern
    Western society to a stable bicycle whose wheels are kept spinning
    by economic growth. Should that forward-propelling motion slow or
    cease, the pillars that define our society – democracy, individual
    liberties, social tolerance and more – would begin to teeter. Our
    world would become an increasingly ugly place, one defined by a
    scramble over limited resources and a rejection of anyone outside of
    our immediate group. Should we find no way to get the wheels back in
    motion, we'd eventually face total societal collapse...
    Such collapses have occurred many times in human history, and no
    civilisation, no matter how seemingly great, is immune to the
    vulnerabilities that may lead a society to its end. Regardless of
    how well things are going in the present moment, the situation can
    always change....
    It should come as no surprise that humanity is currently on an
    unsustainable and uncertain path – but just how close are we to
    reaching the point of no return?...
      ...there are two factors that matter: ecological strain and
    economic stratification. The ecological category is the more widely
    understood and recognised path to potential doom, especially in
    terms of depletion of natural resources such as groundwater, soil,
    fisheries and forests – all of which could be worsened by climate
    change... imply because it is more expensive in the short term to
    solve the problem than it is to just keep acting as usual," says
    Jorgen Randers, a professor emeritus of climate strategy at the BI
    Norwegian Business School, and author of 2052: A Global Forecast for
    the Next Forty Years. "The climate problem will get worse and worse
    and worse because we won't be able to live up to what we've promised
    to do in the Paris Agreement and elsewhere."..
    according to Joseph Tainter, a professor of environment and society
    at Utah State University and author of The Collapse of Complex
    Societies, one of the most important lessons from Rome's fall is
    that complexity has a cost. As stated in the laws of thermodynamics,
    it takes energy to maintain any system in a complex, ordered state –
    and human society is no exception. By the 3rd Century, Rome was
    increasingly adding new things – an army double the size, a cavalry,
    subdivided provinces that each needed their own bureaucracies,
    courts and defences – just to maintain its status quo and keep from
    sliding backwards. Eventually, it could no longer afford to prop up
    those heightened complexities. It was fiscal weakness, not war, that
    did the Empire in....
    Western civilisation is not a lost cause, however. Using reason and
    science to guide decisions, paired with extraordinary leadership and
    exceptional goodwill, human society can progress to higher and
    higher levels of well-being and development,
    See also:
    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20161124-how-to-cope-with-the-end-of-the-world
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008674K64/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
    https://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Complex-Societies-Studies-Archaeology/dp/052138673X
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921800914000615
    Human and nature dynamics (HANDY): Modeling inequality and use of
    resources in the collapse or sustainability of societies

http://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/explorations/book-reviews/220-the-madhouse-effect-how-climate-change-denial-is-threatening-our-planet-destroying-our-politics-and-driving-us-crazy
*THE MADHOUSE EFFECT: HOW CLIMATE CHANGE DENIAL IS THREATENING OUR
PLANET, DESTROYING OUR POLITICS AND DRIVING US CRAZY     By Michael E.
Mann and Tom Toles
<http://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/explorations/book-reviews/220-the-madhouse-effect-how-climate-change-denial-is-threatening-our-planet-destroying-our-politics-and-driving-us-crazy>*
Book Review by Adrian Tait

          Here perhaps is the book's hidden message to our hearts:
    climate scientists have to pay a price, explored by Hoggett and
    Randall, for holding the knowledge they do in a world that does not
    respond as it should. And those who speak out strongly are liable to
    pay a still heavier price. The cartoons, as well as oiling the
    wheels of communication, are part of a counter-attack against the
    denial industry. The narrative – on both the science and the denial
    game - is reasoned and well substantiated, but between every line we
    necessarily find ourselves at the interface of reason and passion.
    This is important reading for climate psychologists. The observable
    validity of the madhouse effect is enhanced rather than diminished
    by the passion. The word 'despicable' to describe oil-soaked
    politics is not used once, but is present throughout."
         Despite the adverse political tide, there is one important
    source of hope which unites Mann and Toles with many others. This is
    the pace of transition to renewable energy and other 'clean'
    technologies. Many pundits have agreed that the combination of
    technological development and market forces will defeat efforts by
    vested interests to halt the decline in fossil fuel use. This
    transition is a necessary condition for any chance of containing the
    climate emergency. It may also be essential as a hopeful narrative
    to help sustain the climate movement. But as Kevin Anderson and
    others have repeatedly explained, technology alone cannot get us out
    of the mess we're in, given cumulative emissions. The Madhouse
    Effect covers important parts of the picture. After politics and
    technology comes the third dimension, psychology. The task of
    connecting that dimension with the others and of doing so with
    sufficient depth continues. /Review by Adrian Tait/

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/explaining_science_won_t_fix_information_illiteracy.html

    Scientists, Stop Thinking Explaining Science Will Fix Things. It
    Won't.
    <http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/explaining_science_won_t_fix_information_illiteracy.html>

Slate Magazine 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

          The theory many scientists seem to swear by is technically
    known as the deficit model, which states that people's opinions
    differ from scientific consensus because they lack scientific
    knowledge. In 2010, Dan Kahan, a Yale psychologist, essentially
    proved this theory wrong. He surveyed over 1,500 Americans,
    classifying each person's "cultural worldview" on a scale that
    roughly correlates with politically liberal or conservative. He then
    assessed each person's scientific literacy with questions such as
    "True or False: Electrons are smaller than atoms." Finally, he asked
    them about climate change. If the deficit model were correct, Kahan
    reasoned, then people with increased scientific literacy, regardless
    of worldview, should agree with scientists that climate change poses
    a serious risk to humanity...
           "If you repeat the myth, that's the part people remember even
    if you immediately debunk it," she says. A better approach, she
    suggests, is to reframe the issue. Don't just keep explaining why
    climate change is real—explain how climate change will hurt public
    health or the local economy. Communication that appeals to values,
    not just intellect, research shows, can be far more effective...
          It's very logical... - and the deficit model perfectly
    explains how a scientist learns science. But the obstacles faced by
    science communicators are not epistemological but cultural. The
    skills required are not those of a university lecturer but a
    rhetorician...

more from NYTimes Magazine
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/magazine/how-a-warming-planet-drives-human-migration.html
*How a Warming Planet Drives Human Migration
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/magazine/how-a-warming-planet-drives-human-migration.html>*
Climate displacement is becoming one of the world's most powerful — and
destabilizing — geopolitical forces.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/magazine/our-climate-future-is-actually-our-climate-present.html
*Our Climate Future Is Actually Our Climate Present
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/magazine/our-climate-future-is-actually-our-climate-present.html>*
How do we live with the fact that the world we knew is going and, in
some cases, already gone?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/magazine/when-rising-seas-transform-risk-into-certainty.html
*When Rising Seas Transform Risk Into Certainty
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/magazine/when-rising-seas-transform-risk-into-certainty.html>*
Along parts of the East Coast, the entire system of insuring coastal
property is beginning to break down.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/climate-change-as-genocide-inaction-equals-annihilation_us_58f8c4a3e4b0cb086d7eaf4e

    *Climate Change*As Genocide: Inaction Equals Annihilation
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/climate-change-as-genocide-inaction-equals-annihilation_us_58f8c4a3e4b0cb086d7eaf4e>

Huffington Post 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

    This goes beyond indifference. This is complicity in mass extermination.
    Here's the question I think we all should be asking: Is this what a
    world battered by climate change will be like  -  one in which tens
    of millions, even hundreds of millions of people perish from
    disease, starvation, and heat prostration while the rest ...
         History and social science research indicate that, as
    environmental conditions deteriorate, people will naturally compete
    over access to vital materials and the opportunists in any society
    -  warlords, militia leaders, demagogues, government officials, and
    the like  -  will exploit such clashes for their personal
    advantage.  "The data suggests a definite link between food
    insecurity and conflict," points out Ertharin Cousin, head of the
    U.N.'s World Food Program.  "Climate is an added stress factor." In
    this sense, the current famines in Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan,
    and Yemen provide us with a perfect template for our future, one in
    which resource wars and climate mayhem team up as temperatures
    continue their steady rise.
       Inaction Equals Annihilation
    In this context, consider the moral consequences of inaction on
    climate change. Once it seemed that the process of global warming
    would occur slowly enough to allow societies to adapt to higher
    temperatures without excessive disruption, and that the entire human
    family would somehow make this transition more or less
    simultaneously. That now looks more and more like a fairy tale.
    Climate change is occurring far too swiftly for all human societies
    to adapt to it successfully.  Only the richest are likely to succeed
    in even the most tenuous way. Unless colossal efforts are undertaken
    now to halt the emission of greenhouse gasses, those living in less
    affluent societies can expect to suffer from extremes of flooding,
    drought, starvation, disease, and death in potentially staggering
    numbers.
    Also posted Tomgram: Michael Klare, Do African Famines Presage
    Global Climate-Change Catastrophe?
    <http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/176269/>
    http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/176269/

*This Day in Climate History April 21, 2007
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/22/AR2007042200353.html?hpid=moreheadlines>
-  from D.R. Tucker*

    At the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, White House
    senior advisor Karl Rove reacts scornfully to a request by
    environmentalist Laurie David to have the George W. Bush
    administration reconsider its approach to the climate-change issue.

          Global warming was the talking point last night at the White
        House Correspondents' Association dinner when singer Sheryl Crow
        and "Inconvenient Truth" producer Laurie David walked over to
        Table 92 at the Hilton Washington to chat with Karl Rove -- and
        the resulting exchange was suitably heated.
        "I am floored by what I just experienced with Karl Rove," David
        reports. "I went over to him and said, 'I urge you to take a new
        look at global warming.' He went zero to 100 with me. . . . I've
        never had anyone be so rude."
        Rove's version: "She came over to insult me and she succeeded."
        Things got so hot that Crow stepped in to defuse the situation
        and then got into it with Rove herself. "You work for me," she
        told the presidential adviser, according to singed bystanders.
        "No," was his response. "I work for the American people."
        News of the dust-up filtered quickly through the room. Some
        witnesses said David was very aggressive with Rove; a shaken
        Crow later said that Rove was "combative and unresponsive."

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/22/AR2007042200353.html?hpid=moreheadlines

    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/46501
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/23/washington/23rove.html?_r=0

////safely forward this email./

        . *** Privacy and Security: * NO collecting IP addresses.  This
        is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics nor images which
        may originate from remote servers. Text-only messages provide
        greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List