[TheClimate.Vote] August 14, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Aug 14 09:49:23 EDT 2017

/August 14, 2017/

Politically Blonde  (Video commentary)
*Climate Change Is Real And We're All Going to Die
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5RAEFjLUYU>*
Because we need to fix our climate crisis as of, like, yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5RAEFjLUYU

*Excessive heat replaced by excessive storms in Poland
<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/excessive-heat-replaced-excessive-storms-poland-170813110353567.html>*
For the second time in a week, Poland has been hit by extraordinary
storms. /(93 mph)/
see images:
http://www.aljazeera.com/mritems/imagecache/mbdmegaxxlarge/mritems/Images/2017/8/13/9e750c71116e46a2b7d7c19f196aaaf2_9.jpg
http://www.aljazeera.com/mritems/imagecache/mbdxxlarge/mritems/Images/2017/8/13/8c92ce5fa07e420cb07c69b6ae43e094_18.jpg
Five people have died in freak accidents as a result of violent storms
in Poland. All the deaths were a result of falling trees in the area
surrounding the Park Narodowy Bory Tucholskie, a national park of peat
bogs, pine forests and lakes.
Deutsche Welle reported that rescuers had to force their way through
"kilometres" of fallen trees in the Tuchola Forest to reach the site of
Friday night's tragedy.
A front of Atlantic air has forced itself into Spain, through the Alps,
Austria and the Czech Republic, Germany and Poland. Hail the size of
hens' eggs fell in Spain. Flash floods raged through the Italian Alps,
tomb stones were felled in the Czech Republic but Poland may have seen
the most dramatic effect on Friday night.
This particular storm appears to have been a mesoscale convective system
(MCS), grown to such an extent that it produced destructive winds. An
MCS typically creates a gust front or "squall line" that produces
straight line wind damage.
Drone footage from northern Poland shows hundreds of shallow-rooted pine
trees felled all in one direction. This is typical of a straight line
blast of wind, not a tornado.
The city of Elblag, to the east of the national park, reported a sudden
but short-lived increase in wind speed to 151 km/h (/93 mph/) before
midnight. Lesser gusts, but equally sudden, and short-lived gusts were
reported at Lebork and Chojnice.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/excessive-heat-replaced-excessive-storms-poland-170813110353567.html
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0812/896885-poland-storms/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4214881/wild-weather-sweeps-europe-thunder-storms/

*Saudi Aramco's value at risk from climate change policies
<https://www.ft.com/content/2115e218-802e-11e7-94e2-c5b903247afd>*
Financial Times 10h ago
https://www.ft.com/content/2115e218-802e-11e7-94e2-c5b903247afd

*Climate & Extreme Weather News #53 (August 8th to 11th 2017)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_I6xzpFM1A>*
36 mins of assorted video clips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_I6xzpFM1A

*Global Investment Firm Warns 7.8 Degrees of Global Warming Is Possible
<https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/433yg9/global-investment-firm-warns-78-degrees-of-global-warming-is-possible>*
Motherboard Aug 9, 2017
A leading British global investment firm has a warning for its clients:
If we keep consuming oil and gas at current rates, our planet is on
course to experience a rise in global average temperatures of nearly
8degrees (14degrees) by the end of the century. This would make Earth
basically uninhabitable for humans.
Although this is the darkest scenario we've seen so far, there's reason
for cautious optimism: the new projections point out that it's unlikely
investors will simply ignore this risk, meaning that our present level
of fossil fuel consumption could decrease...
But oil and gas companies, the briefing warns, have not caught up with
this reality—at some point, though, they will have to get on board.
The dashboard shows unmistakably that our current pathway is heading to
unprecedented disaster: but it also shows that there is a good chance
this worst-case scenario can be averted, as some of the world's biggest
investors begin to pay serious attention to the potential consequences
of what will happen if we don't change course.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/433yg9/global-investment-firm-warns-78-degrees-of-global-warming-is-possible

*The eco guide to optimism
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/13/the-eco-guide-to-optimism>*
The Guardian
Let's begin with the bad news. First, Earth Overshoot Day – the point at
which the world consumes more natural resources than the planet can
renew throughout the year – shifted forward this year to 2 August,
putting humanity in the red for longer.
Research revealed that summer temperatures in parts of the Middle East
and North Africa are increasing twice as fast as the average pace of
global warming, so by 2100 it will be impossible to live there.
Also, climatologists fear that global wheat will not be able to bear the
heat (a potential disaster given that it supplies 20% of dietary
calories worldwide) and others say there is only a 5% chance we can stay
under 2 degrees of warming (the threshold set by the Paris Agreement).
The Sixth Mass Extinction might be upon us but the most endangered
species on the planet right now is the climate optimist.
Dystopian visions are strangely seductive. A better way to look at this
is as an age of great transformation. Excitement brings out the optimist....
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/13/the-eco-guide-to-optimism

*(audio) In Egypt, A Rising Sea — And Growing Worries About Climate
Change's Effects
<http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/08/13/542645647/in-egypt-a-rising-sea-and-growing-worries-about-climate-changes-effects>*
"Last winter was the worst," says Bedair Mohammad. "The sea swallowed up
some of the land and got closer and closer to the village. We're seeing
things we never saw before, in a way that could make us believe this is
anger from God on the village and its people."
Mohammad says every year the winds get stronger, the waves get higher
and more land disappears. They have to go further and further out to sea
to find the same fish they used to catch close to shore.
Mohammad says last year, the winds were so strong, the third story of
his house was knocked down. Boats were tossed up from the water into the
road....
http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/08/13/542645647/in-egypt-a-rising-sea-and-growing-worries-about-climate-changes-effects

*This Day in Climate History August 14, 2008
<http://youtu.be/BqqZzY0fjC0><http://youtu.be/BqqZzY0fjC0>-  from D.R.
Tucker*
August 14, 2008: GOP presidential candidate John McCain discusses his
views on energy and climate change in Aspen, Colorado.
http://youtu.be/BqqZzY0fjC0

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List