[TheClimate.Vote] August 15, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Aug 15 08:46:59 EDT 2017

/August 15, 2017/

*(opinion) If you care about identity politics your priority has to be
saving the planet
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/14/identity-politics-left-priority-saving-planet-climate-change-denial>*
You expect to find climate change denial on the right. But from the left
too, there is a strange silence about the single most pressing issue
facing humanity..
But what is surprising is that the left are not more fired up about the
climate crisis. In the UK, commentators such as Katie Hopkins imply that
the only people who care are hysterical lefty shills. Of course lots of
people, on the left and right do care, more than ever. After all, this
is an issue of science and survival and we all have the same to lose.
But in my experience, many on the left who should care more about
climate change just don't. People who are extremely vocal about
homophobia, transphobia, racism and sexism seem to have a blind spot.
Which is odd because in the coming decades, all those problems (and
more) will be supersized.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/14/identity-politics-left-priority-saving-planet-climate-change-denial

*OK, US government - see you in court
<http://columbia.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ebaeb14fdbf5dc65289113c1&id=8a9cd7f71c&e=c4e20a3850>*
Citizens Climate Lobby needs to grow bigger and stronger, so that, when
we win the court case, politicians and the public are aware of the
centrist political compromise that would work. Incidentally, it would
restore America's leadership and address domestic economic issues.
Why are we confident of winning our lawsuit, which surely would need to
survive scrutiny by a conservative Supreme Court? Our case is based on
the rock-solid foundation of our Constitution.
http://columbia.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ebaeb14fdbf5dc65289113c1&id=8a9cd7f71c&e=c4e20a3850

*From racism to climate change, CEOs keep turning on Trump - Aug
<http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/14/investing/ceos-turn-on-trump-frazier/index.html>*
The election of a businessman to the White House fueled a wave of
optimism among America's CEOs. Now some of those same business leaders
are turning on President Trump.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/14/investing/ceos-turn-on-trump-frazier/index.html

*Vanguard seeks corporate disclosure on risks from climate change
<https://www.reuters.com/article/vanguard-climate-idUSL2N1L00JR>*
BOSTON (Reuters) - Vanguard Group on Monday said it has urged companies
to disclose how climate change could affect their business and asset
valuations, reflecting how the environment has become a priority for the
investment industry.
Under pressure from investors, Vanguard and other fund companies have
pushed to pass several high-profile shareholder resolutions on climate
risk at big energy firms like Exxon Mobil Corp and Occidental Petroleum
Corp during the spring proxy season.
Vanguard manages about $4 trillion and is often the top shareholder in
big U.S. corporations through its massive index funds - giving it a
major voice in setting corporate agendas....
https://www.reuters.com/article/vanguard-climate-idUSL2N1L00JR

*How College Campuses Can Lead in Fighting Climate Change
<https://www.nrdc.org/experts/lara-ettenson/how-college-campuses-can-lead-fighting-climate-change>*
/This blog was written by Anne Kim, an NRDC summer intern from Cornell
University/
When college campuses engage in the green movement, they not only reduce
energy waste and increase utility bill savings, they also invest in the
future by encouraging their students to become leaders and activists
with a genuine interest and concern for the world. More than 90 colleges
across the country
<https://www.nrdc.org/experts/peter-miller/trees-help-climate-without-counting-toward-colleges-goal>
have distinguished themselves as leaders against climate change,
pledging to become carbon-neutral in three years....
Colleges not only have the capacity to encourage their students to
engage in sustainable habits and behaviors, they are also in the unique
position to teach and demonstrate to other colleges how to implement
innovative strategies to also make their campuses more environmentally
friendly.
With their stores of brilliant minds, cutting-edge research and
technology, and commitment to bettering the world, college campuses give
us a reason to hope for some triumphs in the war against climate change.
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/lara-ettenson/how-college-campuses-can-lead-fighting-climate-change

*New study: 'Super heat waves' of 131°F coming if global warming
continues unchecked
<https://thinkprogress.org/super-heatwaves-coming-study-warns-955962bd275a/>*
Temperatures in the Middle East are already soaring past 120°F, while a
heat wave named "Lucifer" scorches Europe.
In Europe, the recent heat wave was so extreme - with temperatures
reaching 111°F (44°C), fueling wildfires and wasp attacks - it was
nicknamed "Lucifer." In the Middle East, as temperatures soared to 121°F
(50°C), "birds in Kuwait have reportedly been dropping from the sky,"
the International Business Times reported Friday...
But, new research says, we ain't seen nothing yet. A new study by the
Joint Research Centre (JRC), the European Union's science and research
lab, finds that "if global temperatures rise with 4°C [7°F], a new super
heat wave of 55°C [131°F] can hit regularly many parts of the world,
including Europe" and the United States...
The new heat waves described in the JRC report will be brutal and
unprecedented. "The apparent temperature peak during such humid-heat
waves can be greater than 55 °C" [131°F], the study explains.
"Humid-heat waves with these conditions were never exceeded in the
present climate, but are expected to occur every other year at 4°C
global warming."
https://thinkprogress.org/super-heatwaves-coming-study-warns-955962bd275a/
*Super-heatwaves of 55°C to emerge if global warming continues
<https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170809073802.htm>*
Heatwaves amplified by high humidity can reach above 40°C and may occur
as often as every two years, leading to serious risks for human health.
If global temperatures rise with 4°C, a new super heatwave of 55°C can
hit regularly many parts of the world, including Europe.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170809073802.htm

*The Daily 202: Evidence of climate change abounds amid extreme weather
in the Pacific Northwest
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/08/14/daily-202-evidence-of-climate-change-abounds-amid-extreme-weather-in-the-pacific-northwest/59910b8e30fb0462b8e1a9c4/>*
SEATTLE - This city known for its rain just went a record-breaking 55
days without any.
The Seattle-Tacoma International Airport had not measured any
precipitation since June 18 until the wee hours of Sunday morning, when
it drizzled. Barely. Some sprinkles also allowed Portland to break its
own 57-day dry streak.
Climate change is leading to more extreme weather, and no other region
has experienced that so much over the last year as the Pacific
Northwest. Seattle got 44.9 inches of rain between Oct. 1 and April 30,
the wettest such period ever. That means, even with the record dry
streak, 2017 remains above normal for rainfall.
America faces many grave challenges. The horrifying events in
Charlottesville this weekend highlighted several, including racism and
the enduring stain of America's original sin. (Much more on that below.)
Climate change is another.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/08/14/daily-202-evidence-of-climate-change-abounds-amid-extreme-weather-in-the-pacific-northwest/59910b8e30fb0462b8e1a9c4/

*Refugees of a different kind are being displaced by rising seas - and
governments aren't ready
<https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/11/climate-change-refugees-grapple-with-effects-of-rising-seas.html>*
Sea levels are on the rise, displacing entire populations and stirring
fears for 'climate refugees' that must relocate.
A 'tipping point' is nearing as costs mount, and governments appear
unprepared.
The impact is being felt as far away as Panama, and as close as Louisiana.
"We all thought this is something that was going to happen in 100 years
or something. But it's happening right now."
"In the short run . . . the problem is almost overwhelming to the most
clear-thinking of politicians, Stoddard said, as he blasted President
Donald Trump's skepticism on climate change. Yet even still, the
lingering issue of cost looms large in the debate.
"In the long run, the entire menu of possible solutions is
unaffordable," Stoddard added.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/11/climate-change-refugees-grapple-with-effects-of-rising-seas.html
*What will become of Bangladesh's climate migrants? <http://sumo.ly/Efxg>*
Visions of millions of Bangladeshis fleeing extreme weather and rising
seas are a staple climate premonition.
The country's prime minister Sheikh Hasina agrees, warning 30 million of
her citizens could become 'climate migrants'.
Megan Darby's special, interactive report demands we take a closer look
at one of the most vulnerable nations to climate change.
The home Sirajul Islam (pictured) shared with his wife and four children
in Kolbari village was flooded, along with the single acre he used to
raise shrimp...
When the floodwater subsided, his field was too salty for shrimp.
Village buildings were flattened and there was no fresh water to drink.
So in 2011, the family went to seek their fortune in the capital Dhaka.
"The cyclone had broken my economical backbone by destroying
everything," says Islam. "If there had not been such a big cyclone, I
would not have moved to Dhaka."
http://sumo.ly/Efxg

*A LEGACY OF ENVIRONMENTAL RACISM
<https://theintercept.com/2017/08/13/exxon-mobil-is-still-pumping-toxins-into-black-community-in-texas-17-years-after-civil-rights-complaint/>*
Exxon Mobil Is Still Pumping Toxins into Black Community in Texas 17
Years After Civil Rights Complaint
In Charlton-Pollard, flare events like the one Gaines and his neighbors
encountered that night - in which the flames that usually burn on top of
the smokestacks erupt into smelly belches of fire - are regular
occurrences. The flames burst so reliably from the refinery some local
kids treat them as fireworks, gathering at the fence down the street
from Gaines's house at night to catch the show.
The plant releases at least 135 toxic chemicals, many of which -
including 1,3-butadiene, benzo[a]pyrene, and styrene - are carcinogens.
And the plant is regularly in noncompliance with the Clean Air Act. Yet
many of the people I met on my recent visit to Charlton-Pollard said
they felt there was no point in trying to reduce the emissions.
In May, 17 years after the initial complaint, the EPA finally issued a
letter declaring the case over the refinery pollution resolved, with
only small changes to be implemented. Many people I spoke with in
Charlton-Pollard found the agency's proposed fixes - two community
meetings and a single air monitor to be placed more than a mile away
from the plant - more insulting than having been ignored for 17 years.
Adding insult to injury, the residents of this small, mostly
African-American neighborhood are now likely facing an increase in
emissions as the result of the planned expansion of the refinery and an
Exxon Mobil chemical plant that uses its oil. And as the Trump
administration rolls back pollution protections and opens the gates for
increased oil production, life in this and many other communities living
near refineries is about to get much more dangerous and unpleasant.
https://theintercept.com/2017/08/13/exxon-mobil-is-still-pumping-toxins-into-black-community-in-texas-17-years-after-civil-rights-complaint/

*Evangelical Christians & Climate Change (#GreenSunday)
<https://cleantechnica.com/2017/08/13/evangelical-christians-climate-change/>*
  by Steve Hanley
"This emerging spirituality is called 'creation spirituality' or
"creation care spirituality" (not to be confused with 'creationism'),
and centers upon the command of God to be caretakers of our planet. It
appears in the very beginning of the creation myth of our sacred
scriptures, so it must have been extremely important to the original
scribes of the Hebrew scriptures. The writers of Genesis would not have
placed it in their scriptures if it was not important to the community.....
"Those same awakened Christians are turning to their co-religionists and
asking them hard questions like: How are you living as a steward of the
Garden? Who are you voting for and what do they support?  Do they
support alternative energy resources? Do they oppose fossil fuel use? If
not, why not? How do you embrace your mandate to be a steward of the
earth with real actions?
"One organization that is taking a leadership role in this debate is
Interfaith Power and Light, whose mission is 'to be faithful stewards of
Creation by responding to global warming through the promotion of energy
conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy. Of the number of
issues their national organization addresses, they are actively
supporting and promoting the Paris Accord.
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/08/13/evangelical-christians-climate-change/

Politically Blonde  (Video commentary)
*Because we need to fix our climate crisis as of, like, yesterday.
<https://youtu.be/A5RAEFjLUYU>*
"America is like a teen aged girl who's missed her period for 6 months
and won't call herself pregnant, because the 40 pregnancy tests she's
already taken, "aren't 100% accurate"...
You do know, honey, the baby's coming, so you better take your
pre-natals because this situation is about to go from messed up to
horrifying."
https://youtu.be/A5RAEFjLUYU

*This Day in Climate History August 15, 2004
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/15/books/hot-enough-for-us.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
August 15, 2004: In the New York Times, Al Gore reviews Ross Gelbspan's
"Boiling Point: How Politicians, Big Oil and Coal,Journalists, and
Activists Are Fueling the Climate Crisis -- and WhatWe Can Do to Avert
Disaster," the follow-up to his seminal 1997 book  "The Heat Is On: The
Climate Crisis, the Cover-Up, the Prescription."

    ...In the course of this transformation, Gelbspan has become a
    different kind of reporter, one who recalls the great reforming
    journalists of the first decade of the 20th century -- Upton
    Sinclair, Ida Tarbell, Lincoln Steffens and others -- who not only
    reported on political corruption and corporate excesses but
    connected them to larger destructive patterns that had developed in
    the economy and politics of their time. They agitated for policy
    reforms, many of which were enacted into statutes when they became
    part of the progressive movement's agenda: antitrust laws, the Food
    and Drug Administration, railroad regulation, wage and hour laws,
    workmen's compensation and child labor laws, to name a few.
    It is in that spirit that Gelbspan pursues solutions for climate
    change that can ''also begin to reverse some very discouraging and
    destructive political and economic dynamics as well.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/15/books/hot-enough-for-us.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
http://www.amazon.com/Boiling-Point-Politicians-Journalists-Crisis--And/dp/0465027628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387936832&sr=8-1&keywords=boiling+point+ross+gelbspan
http://www.amazon.com/The-Heat-Is-On-Prescription/dp/0738200255/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387936855&sr=8-1&keywords=the+heat+is+on+ross+gelbspan

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List