[TheClimate.Vote] August 26, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Aug 26 09:32:36 EDT 2017

/August 26, 2017/

*UPDATE - New York Times:
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/us/hurricane-harvey-climate-change-texas.html?smid=tw-share>*

*The relationship between hurricanes and climate change is not simple.*
Some things are known with growing certainty. Others, not so much.
The most recent draft of a sweeping climate science report pulled
together by 13 federal agencies as part of the National Climate
Assessment suggested that the science linking hurricanes to climate
change was still emerging. Looking back through the history of storms,
"the trend signal has not yet had time to rise above the background
variability of natural processes," the report states.
Temperatures have been rising, and theory and computer modeling suggest
an increase in storm intensity in a warmer world, "and the models
generally show an increase in the number of very intense" storms.
And while the science of attributing weather events to climate change is
advancing, "studies of individual events will typically contain
caveats," the report stated.
Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist at Texas Tech University and an
author of the report, said even if global warming does not change the
number of storms - and, she noted, there could even be fewer hurricanes
over all - tropical storms and hurricanes do gain energy from warm
water, so the unusually warm water that has accompanied climate change
"can have a role in intensifying a storm that already exists."
More moisture in the atmosphere, she said, means the amount and
intensity of rain associated with hurricanes and other storms is
growing. While people might think of high winds and storm surge as the
risks of hurricanes, she said, "freshwater flooding is potentially a
much greater problem than the storm surge."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/us/hurricane-harvey-climate-change-texas.html?smid=tw-share

video How Climate Change Makes Intense Hurricanes
<https://youtu.be/z4ZCQHvRg2k>
MIT
https://youtu.be/z4ZCQHvRg2k

video Weather, or Climate Change? <https://youtu.be/ABcG-QCBr6k>
(Yale) When extreme weather events occur, weathercasters are often
asked, "Is this climate change?" TV Meteorologist Dan Satterfield takes
us through the answers, with help from leading scientists.
https://youtu.be/ABcG-QCBr6k

*(2010 video) Climate Change -- Hurricanes, atolls and coral
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pa8duiMiS0>*
A Potholer54 video  12:47 /(publication review)/
Three more myths, misunderstood by both proponents and critics of
climate science: Global Warming means more hurricanes, drowned islands
and dead coral reefs. It's not that simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pa8duiMiS0

*Undocumented Immigrants Escaping Hurricane Harvey Could Be Rounded Up &
Deported
<https://www.bustle.com/p/undocumented-immigrants-escaping-hurricane-harvey-could-be-rounded-up-deported-78964?utm_term=share>*
As most of the Texas coastline braces for the biggest storm in almost 20
years, authorities are saying that at least one thing won't change. It
was announced that the U.S. Border Patrol would keep checkpoints open
during Hurricane Harvey, even though several areas along the coast have
already been evacuated as the state prepares itself for a Category 2 storm.
"Border Patrol checkpoints will not be closed unless there is a danger
to the safety of the traveling public and our agents," U.S. Customs and
Border Protection wrote in a statement, according to The Texas Tribune.
<https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/24/border-patrol-texas-checkpoints-remain-open-hurricane-harvey/>https://www.bustle.com/p/undocumented-immigrants-escaping-hurricane-harvey-could-be-rounded-up-deported-78964?utm_term=share

*100% Renewable Roadmaps for 139 Nations Reveal Far-Reaching Benefits
<https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/08/24/100-renewable-roadmaps-139-nations-reveal-far-reaching-benefits#>*
This proposal "helps push forward a conversation within and between the
scientific, policy, and business communities about how to envision and
plan for a decarbonized economy."
Stanford professor Mark Jacobson and 26 researchers have developed
revolutionary roadmaps for 139 nations to transition to 100 percent
clean, renewable energy by 2050.
In addition to substantially curbing carbon emissions to slow global
warming, and saving millions of lives by limiting air pollution,
researchers also predict the plan would:
- stabilize energy prices;
- use minimal new land;
- enable countries to produce as much energy as they consume;
- increase energy access by up to 4 billion people worldwide;
-  and decentralize the global power supply, reducing risks of
large-scale disruptions posed by broken machines or terrorism.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/08/24/100-renewable-roadmaps-139-nations-reveal-far-reaching-benefits#

Slow Violence
https://www4.uwm.edu/c21/pdfs/events/nixon_slowviolence_intro.pdf
slow violence - University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
www4.uwm.edu

*Constant Anxiety Won't Save the World
<https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/08/constant-anxiety-wont-save-the-world/537132/>*
Spreading fear and worry about issues you care about on social media can
lead to burnout rather than action.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/08/constant-anxiety-wont-save-the-world/537132/
.
*Why climate change discussions need apocalyptic thinking.
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2017/07/why_climate_change_discussions_need_apocalyptic_thinking.html>*
Hope Is Dangerous When It Comes to Climate Change.  Hope that science
will provide a solution is its own kind of surrender.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2017/07/why_climate_change_discussions_need_apocalyptic_thinking.html
.
*Alarmism Is the Argument  We Need to Fight Climate Change
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/07/we_are_not_alarmed_enough_about_climate_change.html>*
New York magazine's global-warming horror story isn't too scary. It's
not scary enough.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/07/we_are_not_alarmed_enough_about_climate_change.html
.

    *Climate*scientists reveal their fears for the future
    <http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-27/climate-scientists-speak-of-their-worst-fears/8631368>

(video
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-27/some-australian-climate-scientists-are-considering/8657152)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-27/climate-scientists-speak-of-their-worst-fears/8631368

*After months with no town hall, teenager interrupts Sen. Rubio
fundraiser to ask why he is putting fossil fuel industry donations above
his constituents' safety
<https://medium.com/sunrisemvmt/breaking-after-months-with-no-town-hall-teenager-interrupts-sen-44b3612db339>*
ORLANDO, FL - Senator Marco Rubio hasn't held a town hall in
months - saying his constituents "get rude and stupid"
<http://www.salon.com/2017/02/24/marco-rubio-says-people-get-rude-and-stupid-at-town-hall-meetings-doesnt-show-to-his-own/>
at them - so earlier this evening, 19 year old constituent September
Porras made her way into his fundraiser to ask him why he's taking his
cues from the fossil fuel executives bankrolling his campaign rather
than the people of Florida who face the threat of climate change every
day. [Video https://www.facebook.com/sunrisemvmt/videos/1812728898744996/]
https://medium.com/sunrisemvmt/breaking-after-months-with-no-town-hall-teenager-interrupts-sen-44b3612db339

*(humor) Is it Okay to Politicize a Hurricane?  My Exclusive Interview
with Hurricane Harvey
<https://medium.com/@aaronhuertas/is-it-okay-to-politicize-a-hurricane-my-exclusive-interview-with-hurricane-harvey-f7e9a1fad29f>*
A lot of people are wondering if it's okay to "politicize" hurricanes. I
was able to reach Hurricane Harvey via telephone to get his opinion.
Here's our brief conversation.
*Hey, Harvey! Glad to reach you. I know you're busy. So just briefly, my
editor is making me ask this, is there any chance you could turn around
and not make landfall?*
I'd love to, but at this point, I'm locked in. It's physics.
*Okay, had to ask. Look, a lot of people are worried that about
"politicizing" you, saying we need to focus on the emergency response in
Texas. What do you have to say to them?*
I think they're right. I'm as apolitical as it gets. I don't watch cable
news. I don't even vote. And I'm definitely not here to get dragged into
a political debate.
*Sure. So what about the immigrants who can't evacuate from your path
without fear of being detained? A lot of people are worried about that.*
Well, obviously, that's unfortunate. Yes, some people have to choose
between getting away from me and getting deported, but now's not the
time to focus on something as divisive as immigration policy.
*Okay…How about the refineries you might hit? There's a big
environmental justice problem around those areas and fence-line
communities could be dealing with pollution for decades.*
I'm not trying to hit any specific areas or specific people, okay? It's
not my responsibility to account for where people live or where you let
companies put giant tanks full of oil.
*Gotcha. So last topic. The ocean you're riding in on is significantly
higher than it used to be and…**
*Is this going to be a climate change question?
*Yeah.*
Ugh. I'm so sick of people asking me about this. Yes - climate change
makes sea-levels higher and that means all storms can get further
inland. Yes - warmer ocean water makes hurricanes more powerful.
Yes - warmer air temperatures means storms come with heavier rainfall.
But the science is complex and I'm not here to take sides in the climate
change debate, okay?
*Well, I'm asking, in part, because the Trump administration just
reversed rules that would require infrastructure projects to account for
future sea level rise and flooding conditions. As a hurricane, do you
think that's the right move?*
I simply can't speak on behalf of future hurricanes. You'll have to ask
them.
*The Trump Administration is also censoring climate scientists and has
proposed some pretty dramatic cuts to programs that help us understand
hurricanes and prepare for climate change.*
The attention from scientists is always flattering, but I think we need
to keep science and politics separate.
*Okay…well, thanks for your perspective. I'm honestly surprised no one
has asked you about this before.*
Thanks. It's unfortunate that it takes a hurricane to get people to put
their politics aside for a few days, but I'm glad I can help.
https://medium.com/@aaronhuertas/is-it-okay-to-politicize-a-hurricane-my-exclusive-interview-with-hurricane-harvey-f7e9a1fad29f

*This Day in Climate History August 26, 2001
<http://articles.latimes.com/2001/aug/26/news/mn-38530> -  from D.R. Tucker*
August 26, 2001: The Los Angeles Times reports:
"Throughout February and March, executives representing electricity,
coal, natural gas and nuclear interests paraded quietly in small groups
to a building in the White House compound, where the new
administration's energy policy was being written.
"Some firms sent emissaries more than once. Enron Corp., which trades
electricity and natural gas, once got three top officials into a private
session with Vice President Dick Cheney, who headed the energy task
force. Cheney did 'a lot of listening,' according to a company spokesman.
"Many of the executives at the White House meetings were generous donors
to the Republican Party, and some of their key lobbyists were freshly
hired from the Bush presidential campaign. They found a receptive task
force. Among its ranks were three former energy industry executives and
consultants. The task force also included a Bush agency head who was
involved in the sensitive discussions while his wife took in thousands
of dollars in fees from three electricity producers.
"The final report, issued May 16, boosted the nation's energy
industries. It called for additional coal production, and five days
later the world's largest coal company, Peabody Energy, issued a public
stock offering, raising about $60 million more than expected. While
Peabody was preparing to go public, its chief executive and vice
president participated in a March 1 meeting with Cheney."
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/aug/26/news/mn-38530
////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that