[TheClimate.Vote] Feb 9 , 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Feb 9 10:36:46 EST 2017

/Stay well-informed about global warming -  Please forward this email.
February 9, 2017/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/02/pentagon-fights-climate-change-sea-level-rise-defense-department-military/

    Who's Still Fighting *Climate Change*? The US Military
    <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/02/pentagon-fights-climate-change-sea-level-rise-defense-department-military/>

National Geographic 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    This visibly*changing*geography made Norfolk the natural poster
    child for the*climate*challenges confronting the Defense
    Department—and seems as good a setting as any to consider the fate
    of*climate*science and the military in the new political era in ...

http://time.com/4663995/republicans-gop-climate-change-council/

    Republicans Tell Their Party It's Time to Address*Climate Change*
    <http://time.com/4663995/republicans-gop-climate-change-council/>

TIME 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    A group of Republican elder statesmen called on their party's
    leadership to address*climate change*by enacting a carbon tax to
    replace much of the Obama-era environmental regulation.
    "Crazy as it may sound, this is the perfect time to enact a sensible
    policy to address the dangerous threat of climate change,"
    Feldstein, Mankiw and Halstead in a New York Times op-ed. "This
    would be pro-growth, pro-competitiveness and pro-working class."
    The plan's backers propose a "sensible" carbon tax that begins at
    $40 per ton and increases with time. They estimate that the average
    family of four would receive $2,000 annually in dividend payments.
    The plan—even with the elimination Obama-era regulations—would allow
    the U.S. to meet its emissions reduction commitment to the Paris
    Agreement without any other policies, according to the report.
    "Theory suggests a nationwide price on carbon would lead to even
    more economically efficient outcomes."Republicans in Congress have
    largely balked at measures to address climate change, though a small
    contingent continues to push the issue. The backers of the new plan
    said they believe even current skeptics will eventually have to face
    the reality of climate change. "This will become the inevitable
    climate solution," said Halstead. "We cannot tell you when, but we
    can tell you that eventually, this country has to deal with this
    issue, and we think that our solution will be front and center."

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/management-accountants-see-negative-impact-from-global-warming

    Management accountants see negative impact from*global warming*
    <http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/management-accountants-see-negative-impact-from-global-warming>

Accounting Today 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    *Global warming*isn't just a concern of environmentalists. Nearly
    two-thirds of management accountants think*global warming*is having
    an impact on the environment, according to a new survey, and a
    quarter of them are seeing a negative impact on the*.*

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-extreme-increasingly-global-landscape.html
*Research predicts extreme fires will increasingly be part of our global
landscape
<https://phys.org/news/2017-02-extreme-increasingly-global-landscape.html>*

    Increasingly dangerous fire weather is forecast as the global
    footprint of extreme fires expands, according to the latest research...
    "The projections suggest an increase in the days conducive to
    extreme wildfire events by 20 to 50 per cent in these disaster-prone
    landscapes, with sharper increases in the subtropical Southern
    Hemisphere, and the European Mediterranean Basin," Professor Bowman
    said...
    "We can't stop big, intense fires from happening here, and they are
    increasing under climate change. However, in the western US, we can
    reduce the potential for fire disasters by both reducing forest
    density and improving mitigation and preparedness through the
    development of fire-resilient communities."

http://inhabitat.com/bill-gates-warns-against-climate-change-denial/

    Bill Gates warns against*climate*-*change*denial
    <http://inhabitat.com/bill-gates-warns-against-climate-change-denial/>

Inhabitat 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

    Billionaire philanthropist Bill Gates recently spoke out against
    denying climate change during a student question-and-answer session
    at Columbia University in New York City earlier this month. Joined
    by fellow monied person Warren Buffett, the Microsoft founder also
    called for greater innovation in clean energy. He said, “Certain
    topics are so complicated like climate change that to really get a
    broad understanding is a bit difficult and particularly when people
    take that complexity and create uncertainty about it”.
    We need to find energy that’s “reliable, cheap, and clean,” he said,
    before promising that “the innovations there will be profound.”
    He added, “There are many paths to get to where we need to go”.
    Perhaps another billionaire we know should pay attention?.

https://thinkprogress.org/no-bill-gates-we-dont-need-energy-miracles-to-solve-climate-change-60ac8fbb9e2e#.5j51tgt00.
*No Bill Gates, We Don’t Need ‘Energy Miracles’ To Solve Climate Change
(2016)
<https://thinkprogress.org/no-bill-gates-we-dont-need-energy-miracles-to-solve-climate-change-60ac8fbb9e2e#.5j51tgt00>*

    For six years, Bill Gates has been arguing that we need “energy
    miracles” to avoid catastrophic climate change. For six years, he
    has been wrong.
    In fact, Gates is more wrong now than he was in 2010. Why? Because
    in the last six years, we have seen that aggressive deployment of
    clean energy technology driven by government policies has — as was
    predicted — led to precisely the kind of game-changing cost-slashing
    innovation that Gates mistakenly thinks happens primarily from basic
    energy research and development (R&D;).
    For six years, Gates has claimed we were wildly under-investing in
    basic energy R&D.; Yet, somehow the very thing Gates says he
    wanted — huge price drops in key low-carbon technologies (like
    renewables and efficiency) and key enabling technologies (like
    batteries for storage) — kept happening. The fact is that
    accelerated deployment policies around the world created economies
    of scale and brought technologies rapidly down the learning curve,
    as the DOE reported last November...
    ...What is particularly unfortunate about Gates’ mistaken rhetoric
    is that it can disempower people and policymakers and pundits into
    thinking that individual or even government action is not the
    central weapon needed to win the climate fight and that our only
    hope is some long-term deus ex machina strategy to avoid
    catastrophic warming. Nothing could be worse than leaving people
    with the impression that humanity’s only hope is future
    miracles — especially since a quarter-century of largely ignoring
    the warnings of climate scientists has left us with quite literally
    no time left to dawdle in exponentially ramping up deployment....
    ...The world needs about 100 times as much money for deployment of
    carbon-free energy as it does for R&D; right now;
    Key developing countries like India are making decisions about
    building coal vs. carbon-free power right now that could lock in
    carbon pollution for decades; and
    Genuine technology breakthroughs are exceedingly rare in the energy
    arena and generally take decades and vast resources to deploy once
    they do make it to market..  - Joe Romm

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-major-global-defended.html
*Major global warming study again questioned, again defended
<https://phys.org/news/2017-02-major-global-defended.html>*

    Another round of bickering is boiling over about temperature
    readings used in a 2015 study to show how the planet is warming.
    The issue is about how readings gathered decades ago were adjusted
    to try to get a clearer picture of how the Earth's*...*
    Here's our piece on the Daily Mail story -- rounds up several of the
    rebuttals and shows the spread to Breitbart and other right-wing
    media outlets:
    http://mediamatters.org/research/2017/02/07/bogus-daily-mail-story-spearheads-latest-right-wing-assault-climate-change-science/215257
    https://twitter.com/aseifter/status/828992596869517312
    The Bates semi-retraction <http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060049630>
    is important given the likelihood that this will be used in the Make
    EPA Great Again hearing today:

        He specified that he did not believe that they manipulated the
        data upon which the research relied in any way.
        "The issue here is not an issue of tampering with data, but
        rather really of timing of a release of a paper that had not
        properly disclosed everything it was," he said.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35255824-75/judge-suggests-lawyers-simplify-their-case-to-keep-climate-change-trial-on-track.html.csp

    Judge suggests lawyers simplify their case to keep*climate
    change*trial on track
    <http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35255824-75/judge-suggests-lawyers-simplify-their-case-to-keep-climate-change-trial-on-track.html.csp>

The Register-Guard 	 -‎9 hours ago‎

    A federal judge on Tuesday told lawyers for a group of youths who
    are suing the federal government over climate policy to consider
    simplifying their case, if they want to keep it on track for trial
    later this year in Eugene.
    During a pretrial hearing in U.S. District Court, Magistrate Judge
    Tom Coffin urged the plaintiffs to “see to what extent you can
    narrow” aspects of the potential landmark case, which seeks a court
    order that requires the government to drastically and quickly reduce
    carbon dioxide emissions that many scientists say drive global warming.
    Coffin has said the case could be headed for trial later this year,
    which is what the plaintiffs want.
    But attorneys for the government and trade groups representing many
    of the world’s largest energy companies say that schedule wouldn’t
    give them enough time to prepare. They say a request from the
    plaintiffs to retain all climate change-related documents in their
    possession is particularly onerous.

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-coal-hastens-arctic.html
*Coal mine dust hastens Arctic snow melt
<https://phys.org/news/2017-02-coal-hastens-arctic.html>*

    Dust released by an active coal mine in Svalbard, Norway, reduced
    the spectral reflectance of nearby snow and ice by up to 84 percent,
    according to new University of Colorado Boulder-led research.

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-hidden-lakes-west-antarctica-thwaites.html
*Hidden lakes drain below West Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier
<https://phys.org/news/2017-02-scientists-current-climate-understate-problem.html#jCp>*

    Thwaites Glacier on the edge of West Antarctica is one of the
    planet's fastest-moving glaciers. Research shows that it is sliding
    unstoppably into the ocean, mainly due to warmer seawater lapping at
    its underside....
    The new study supports previous UW research from 2014 showing that
    *Thwaites Glacier will likely collapse within 200 to 900 years to
    cause seas to rise by 2 feet.*
    Read more at:
    https://phys.org/news/2017-02-hidden-lakes-west-antarctica-thwaites.html#jCp
    Researchers at the University of Washington and the University of
    Edinburgh used data from the European Space Agency's CryoSat-2 to
    identify a sudden drainage of large pools below Thwaites Glacier,
    one of two fast-moving glaciers at the edge of the ice sheet. The
    study published Feb. 8 in The Cryosphere finds four interconnected
    lakes drained in the eight months from June 2013 and January 2014.
    The glacier sped up by about 10 percent during that time, showing
    that the glacier's long-term movement is fairly oblivious to
    trickles at its underside.
    For the new study, the authors use a new technique to discover drops
    at the glacier's surface of up to 70 feet (20 meters) over a 20
    kilometer by 40 kilometer area. Calculations show it was likely due
    to the emptying of four interconnected lakes, the largest about the
    size of Lake Washington, far below. The peak drainage rate was about
    8,500 cubic feet (240 cubic meters) per second, about half the flow
    of the Hudson River—the largest meltwater outflow yet reported for
    subglacial lakes in this region.

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-climate.html
*Study rehabilitates climate models
<https://phys.org/news/2017-02-climate.html>*

    With new methods of reconstruction, climate researchers in Bern have
    been able to demonstrate that some 9,000 to 5,000 years ago, the
    Mediterranean climate was considerably warmer than previous studies
    had suggested. Among ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/asia/china-coal-gas-plants-climate-change.html

    'Irrational' Coal Plants May Hamper China's*Climate Change *Efforts
    <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/asia/china-coal-gas-plants-climate-change.html>

New York Times 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    But in those towers, a rare and contentious process is underway,
    spewing an alarming amount of carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse
    gas accelerating*climate change*. The plant and others like it
    undermine China's aim of being a global leader on efforts

https://createclimate.com/2017/02/05/how-climate-change-created-humans/
*How climate change created humans
<https://createclimate.com/2017/02/05/how-climate-change-created-humans/>*

    Have you ever wondered if humans will give birth to a more evolved
    species? Or would we rather destroy the planet before that happens?
    In this post I explore the climatic change that gave place to the
    transition Autralopithecus --> Homo habilis.
    Several hundreds of thousands of years passed until the Earth
    rotation axis changed sufficiently to decrease the temperatures in
    the summer and prevented the high latitude snow from melting. Giving
    origin to ice sheets formation in the north and to a completely new
    era in which the Earth would be shifting for glacial to interglacial
    periods, starting 2.5 million years ago. This new global climate
    dramatically reduced the moisture of Africa and converted it into an
    arid region...
    In summary, a change in oceanic circulation generated high latitude
    snow precipitation that with the right conditions formed the ice
    sheets and resulted in a great step on the history of human
    evolution. This case study reflects the great implications that
    climate change could have on ecosystems and species, as well as the
    key roles of different components of the climate, such as insolation
    and ocean circulation.
    So do you think current climate change will give place to a more
    evolved species than humans? Or we would rather destroy the world
    before that happens?
    http://bit.ly/climateandevolution Best regards, Bernardo Bastien

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-gop-carbon-tax-20170207-story.html

    Senior GOP figures are pushing the White House to consider carbon
    tax to fight*climate change*
    <http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-gop-carbon-tax-20170207-story.html>

Los Angeles Times 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    A group of Republican senior statesmen is pushing for a carbon tax
    to combat the effects of*climate change*and hoping to sell the plan
    to the White House.

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-underestimate-future-tropical-mountains.html*
**Climate models may underestimate future warming on tropical mountains
<https://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-underestimate-future-tropical-mountains.html>*

    In few places are the effects of climate change more pronounced than
    on tropical peaks like Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Kenya, where
    centuries-old glaciers have all but melted completely away. Now, new
    research suggests that ...

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-globe-trotting-pollutants-cancer-higher.html
*Globe-trotting pollutants raise some cancer risks four times higher
than predicted
<https://phys.org/news/2017-01-globe-trotting-pollutants-cancer-higher.html>*

    A new way of looking at how pollutants ride through the atmosphere
    has quadrupled the estimate of global lung cancer risk from a
    pollutant caused by combustion, to a level that is now double the
    allowable limit recommended ...

http://www.gwu.edu/~action/2004/issues/kerr020903spenv.html
http://c-spanvideo.org/program/DemocraticPolicy
*This Day in Climate History  February 9, 2003
<http://www.gwu.edu/%7Eaction/2004/issues/kerr020903spenv.html> -  from
D.R. Tucker*

    In a speech at Harvard University, Democratic presidential candidate
    and Massachusetts Senator John Kerry declares:
    "We should be the world's environmental leader. Our global
    environmental policy should be driven by our convictions, not our
    constraints. America has not led but fled on the issue of global
    warming. The first President Bush was willing to lead on this issue.
    But the second President Bush's declaration that the Kyoto Protocol
    was simply Dead on Arrival spoke for itself - and it spoke in dozens
    of languages as his words whipped instantly around the globe. What
    the Administration failed to see was that Kyoto was not just an
    agreement; it represented the resolve of 160 nations working
    together over 10 years. It was a good faith effort - and the United
    States just dismissed it. We didn't aim to mend it. We didn't aim to
    sit down with our allies and find a compromise. We didn't aim for a
    new dialogue. The Administration was simply ready to aim and fire,
    and the target they hit was our international reputation. This
    country can and should aim higher than preserving its place as the
    world's largest unfettered polluter. We should assert, not abandon
    our leadership in addressing global economic degradation and the
    warming of the atmosphere that if left unchecked, will do untold
    damage to our coastline and our Great Plains, our cities and our
    economy."
    http://www.gwu.edu/~action/2004/issues/kerr020903spenv.html
    http://c-spanvideo.org/program/DemocraticPolicy

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .