[TheClimate.Vote] Feb 10, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Feb 10 09:37:44 EST 2017

/Stay well-informed about global warming -  Please forward this email.
February ///
_
_https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/suburbs-are-increasingly-threatened-by-wildfires-due-to-climate-change/

    Suburbs Are Increasingly Threatened by Wildfires Due to Climate
    Change
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/suburbs-are-increasingly-threatened-by-wildfires-due-to-climate-change/>

Scientific American 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    The suburbs evoke images of white picket fences and organized
    sports, a peaceful escape from big-city living. But new research
    finds verdant residential communities are increasingly likely to go
    up in smoke.
    In an analysis of more than 23 million fires, a study published this
    week in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution finds a cluster of
    "economically and socially disastrous" fires, or megafires as
    they're sometimes called, have scorched suburban neighborhoods,
    especially across the western U.S. and southeastern Australia.
    More communities could be at risk. Warmer and longer winters,
    prolonged drought, and other impacts from a changing climate could
    boost the number of days conducive to extreme fire events by 35
    percent, the study found...
    ...Two-thirds of the fire events occurred on days with high fire
    danger, and nearly half of the events occurred during
    moderate-to-severe long-term drought, suggesting that low fuel
    moisture enables the occurrence of megafires, he said. Strong winds,
    which are known to promote rapid rates of fire spread, were found in
    about a third of the fire events.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170208111626.htm

    Current climate change models understate the problem, scientists
    argue <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170208111626.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎Feb 8, 2017‎

    A new study on the relationship between people and the planet shows
    that climate change is only one of many inter-related threats to the
    Earth's capacity to support human life...
    An international team of distinguished scientists, including five
    members of the National Academies, argues that there are critical
    components missing from current climate models that inform
    environmental, climate, and economic policies...
    The article, published in the National Science Review, describes how
    the recent growth in resource use, land-use change, emissions, and
    pollution has made humanity the dominant driver of change in most of
    the Earth's natural systems, and how these changes, in turn, have
    important feedback effects on humans with costly and serious
    consequences.
    The authors argue that current estimates of the impact of climate
    change do not connect human variables -- such as demographics,
    inequality, economic growth, and migration -- with planetary
    changes. This makes current models likely to miss important
    feedbacks in the real Earth-human system, especially those that may
    result in unexpected or counterintuitive outcomes..
    ....In this new research, the authors present extensive evidence of
    the need for a new type of model that incorporates the feedbacks
    that the Earth System has on humans, and propose a framework for
    future modeling that would serve as a more realistic guide for
    policymaking and sustainable development.
    "Current models are likely to miss critical feedbacks in the
    combined Earth-Human system,"... Without including the real
    feedbacks, predictions for coupled systems cannot work; the model
    can get away from reality very quickly.

http://www.seeker.com/another-antarctic-ice-sheet-could-collapse-in-a-matter-of-weeks-2250814238.html
<http://www.seeker.com/another-antarctic-ice-sheet-could-collapse-in-a-matter-of-weeks-2250814238.html>

    An Antarctic Iceberg the Size of Delaware Could Break Off in a
    Matter of Weeks
    <http://www.seeker.com/another-antarctic-ice-sheet-could-collapse-in-a-matter-of-weeks-2250814238.html>

Seeker 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    Scientists are eyeing a growing crack in one of Antarctica's ice
    shelves. A portion of the Larcen C shelf the size of Delaware could
    break off in months, or even weeks - an event that could signal the
    impending collapse of another of the southernmost ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/trump-climate-lawsuit/516054/

    The 11-Year-Old Suing Trump Over*Climate Change*
    <https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/trump-climate-lawsuit/516054/>

The Atlantic 	 -‎16 hours ago‎

    If*climate change*threatens their future, they reason, the
    government has violated their constitutional right to due process....
    ...And, sometimes, she goes to court. Unlike most tweens, Avery is
    suing the federal government....
    ...She’s the second-youngest of 21 plaintiffs, ages 9 to 20, in
    Juliana v. United States, a case filed in Eugene in 2015 on the
    grounds that the federal government has knowingly endangered them by
    promoting the burning of fossil fuels. If climate change threatens
    their future, they reason, the government has violated their
    constitutional right to due process. There are roughly the same
    number of defendants as plaintiffs in the case, including the
    Environmental Protection Agency, the Office of the President and the
    president himself. Until January 20, that was Barack Obama. Now it’s
    Donald Trump...
    "You’re suing Trump!" Avery recalls her classmates said when they
    flocked her at school on November 9. "I’m like, ‘Yep.’ What did I
    get myself into?"..

.
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-09/epa-officials-yanked-from-alaska-event-as-trump-team-weighs-in
*EPA officials yanked from Alaska event as Trump team weighs in.
<https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-09/epa-officials-yanked-from-alaska-event-as-trump-team-weighs-in>*

    Just three days before this week’s environment conference in Alaska,
    the top Environmental Protection Agency official in Anchorage called
    the organizer with some news: The agency had been instructed by the
    White House to slash the number of EPA staffers who could attend.
    Bloomberg News.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-08/good-luck-killing-the-epa
*Good luck killing the EPA.
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-08/good-luck-killing-the-epa>*

    Dismembering the agency requires changing 45 years worth of laws,
    warns one Republican who ran it. Bloomberg News.
    "Everybody hates regulation," said Republican Christine Todd
    Whitman, a former EPA administrator and New Jersey governor,
    "because it makes you either spend money or change behavior for a
    problem you may not see."
    This year, as we all know, is a little different.
    Dismembering the EPA could require that Congress individually change
    45 years of environmental statutes, a feat that would require an
    enormous amount of time, organization, and political capital....
    Jeff Holmstead is a former EPA assistant administrator and now a
    partner at Bracewell LLC in Washington. Charged with the
    hypothetical (and extraordinarily unlikely) task of dismantling the
    agency, he zeroed in on the two dozen or so statutes that assign
    responsibilities to the EPA administrator. Most of these laws have
    "citizen suit provisions" that let Americans sue the agency for not
    doing its job. "You’d have a huge mess on your hands," if
    environmentalists started suing a government official that no longer
    exists.

___https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/02/08/trump-mike-catanzaro-energy-aide-lobbyist-climate-denier_
*Trump Names Industry Lobbyist and Climate Science Denier Mike Catanzaro
as Top White House Energy Aide*

    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 - 13:21 • STEVE HORN
    GreenWire has reported that climate change denier Mike Catanzaro — a
    lobbyist for oil and gas companies Noble Energy, Devon Energy,
    Encana Oil and Gas,  American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers
    (AFPM), and Hess Corporation — will soon become a top energy policy
    aide for President Donald Trump. ..
    Catanzaro's lobbying disclosure forms for quarter four of 2016 serve
    as a potential preview of energy policy to come from the Trump White
    House. During that quarter, Catanzaro lobbied against U.S. Bureau of
    Land Management (BLM) methane regulations, against U.S. Bureau of
    Safety and Environmental Enforcement offshore drilling regulations,
    and for oil and gas development on U.S. public lands. ..
    As DeSmog has reported, Catanzaro served as a top energy aide during
    Trump's presidential campaign. According to GreenWire, he is
    expected to serve as special assistant to Trump for energy and
    environmental issues under the umbrella of the White House National
    Economic Council.
    Also: http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060049700

http://www.revelstokemountaineer.com/understanding-climate-change-means-reading-beyond-headlines-17536

    Understanding*climate change*means reading beyond headlines
    <http://www.revelstokemountaineer.com/understanding-climate-change-means-reading-beyond-headlines-17536>

Revelstoke Mountaineer 	 -‎17 hours ago‎

    Recent headlines about a climate study, "Shifting patterns of mild
    weather in response to projected radiative forcing", in the February
    2017 issue of Climatic Change illustrate the predicament. Some news
    outlets implied the study showed countries such as Canada and the
    U.K. would benefit from increasingly frequent "mild weather days"
    brought on by climate change. Many failed to convey the true
    take-home message: Climate change will have devastating consequences
    for human civilization...
    ...a few countries, mostly in the mid-latitudes, will experience
    slightly more frequent mild weather — defined as days between 18 and
    30 C with less than one millimetre of rain and dew point temperature
    not exceeding 20 C. But that’s not the whole story.

    "The climate is changing in many places over the world and these
    changes are ongoing now," Van der Wiel said in an email. "Globally,
    mild weather is decreasing and in many locations summers are going
    to be increasingly too hot and too humid to be considered mild.
    These are not desirable changes."

http://www.lamonitor.com/content/climate-change-project-wins-science-fair-grand-prize

    *Climate change*project wins science fair grand prize
    <http://www.lamonitor.com/content/climate-change-project-wins-science-fair-grand-prize>

Los Alamos Monitor 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    By Arin McKennaWednesday, February 8, 2017 Originally Posted in Los
    Alamos Monitor Online

    Los Alamos Public Schools County Science and Engineering Fair grand
    prize winner Lillian Petersen seems to be 14 going on 40 – at least
    when she is explaining her project, *"America’s Farming Future: The
    Impact of Climate Change on Crop Yields."*
    For a panel of best of show judges, Petersen’s project stood out
    among 471 entries from grades K‒12. She received a $100 gift
    certificate from CB Fox, in addition to her other prizes.
    Petersen estimates she put approximately 500 hours into the project,
    working 40 hours a week over the summer and another 60 hours over
    the holiday break. The quality of her project reflects that.
    Petersen posed the question, "How will various future climate
    scenarios affect future crop yields of corn, soybeans and rice?"
    She hypothesized that since crop yields are dependent on weather,
    more heat extremes will cause future crop yields to decrease.
    To test her hypothesis, Petersen created a statistical model that
    used past yields and weather data to predict future scenarios.
    Petersen began by downloading seasonal crop yield data from the U.S.
    Department of Agriculture for every county in the United States
    since 1970 for corn, soybeans and rice.
    She found that crop yields over time have greatly increased due to
    technologies such as pesticides, herbicides, irrigation, fertilizers
    and plant breeding, but that the yearly yield is dependent on weather.
    The ninth-grader was able to determine that by comparing crop yield
    data to weather data, which she obtained from the National Oceanic
    and Atmospheric Administration’s Global Historical Climatology Network.
    Petersen downloaded daily weather station data for every weather
    station in the U.S. since 1970 and then averaged the two closest
    stations to the center of every county to find the correlations
    between past yields and weather.
    Her data showed that the three temperature statistics with the
    highest correlations to yields were summer average temperature, heat
    waves and killing degree days, and that those correlated negatively
    with crop yields.
    "For example, when you look at a single county and look at the crop
    yield plotted with the summer average temperature, when there is a
    very high summer average temperature, the crop yield for that year
    is very low," Petersen said.
    Petersen then used her statistical model to project future crop
    yields for two possible scenarios using Climate Model
    Intercomparison Model Version 5.
    One scenario was based on having no future technological advances in
    reducing emissions. The other scenario evaluated what would happen
    if emissions reduction technology advanced at the same rate it has
    improved since 1970. She ran her projections through the year 2100.
    "The biggest unknown in this project is whether technology will
    continue to improve in the future, and at what rate it will continue
    to improve at," Petersen said.
    Petersen found that even in the best-case scenario, with technology
    continuing to improve at the current rate, corn and soybeans yields
    in particular would be hard-hit. Her model shows a loss of
    approximately $14.5 billion dollars per year in corn yield by the
    year 2100 with the technological improvements and $22 billion
    dollars with the high emissions scenario.
    *Corn yields had the highest correlations temperature.*
    ***"Corn is the most sensitive to heat extremes and is predicted to
    decrease the most in the future. Soybeans will decrease slightly
    less and rice the least," Petersen said, postulating that the
    plants’ biological structures accounted for the differences. *
    When asked what motivated her to devote so much time and effort to
    such a complex research project, Petersen replied, "I am a very
    motivated person, and I want to do a lot with my life. So I decided,
    what’s a better time to start than now? And doing things like this
    science fair project will help my life and my career progress and
    advance into something better.
    "It’s not only that. I personally enjoy it. It is what I do for fun,
    enduring all those hours. And I think without the science fair
    projects I would get very bored," she said.
    Petersen entered her first science fair in fifth grade and won her
    first award in seventh grade, when she received the junior division
    grand award in the physical category and received first place in her
    category in both regional and state competitions. In eighth grade
    she won first place in Earth and Environmental Sciences at the local
    fair.
    Petersen was also a finalist in the Supercomputing Challenge in
    seventh grade and received a third place in that competition last year.
    Petersen has not yet begun thinking about next year’s project.
    "Deciding the topic of the science fair project is really the most
    important step, because that’s what everything else is based off
    of," Petersen said. "So I always spend a really long time coming up
    with the topic every year.
    Petersen plans to make a career in research-based computer
    programming. She has no particular leanings about how she will apply
    that.
    "I’m really interested in the impact, and I feel like, with my
    computer programming, if I apply it the right way I could help a lot
    of people," Petersen said. "And I guess that’s really my main goal,
    not the specific type or what I’m exactly doing, but just applying
    my computer programming skills in a way to help people."
    Petersen is hoping to publish her project in either Nature Climate
    Change or Science.

https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/02/06/trump-ties-atlantic-coast-pipeline
*Trump Team Has Ties to Atlantic Coast Pipeline Now Being Pushed by
White House
<http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/08/trump-team-has-ties-to-atlantic-coast-pipeline-now-being-pushed-by-white-house/>*

    By Steve Horn and Itai Vardi  --  On January 25, President Donald
    Trump’s team listed the Atlantic Coast pipeline among the White
    House’s top priorities for infrastructure projects, an attempt to
    deliver on his campaign promise to invest in U.S infrastructure
    programs.
    Of the 50 on the list, Atlantic Coast is surprisingly the only
    pipeline project named. Some had suspected Trump’s infrastructure
    promise would serve as a massive pipeline giveaway. So, why
    prioritize this one?
    A possible answer: Several members of Trump’s transition team,
    landing team, and current White House operation have connections to
    companies behind the project or to firms lobbying for it.
    The Atlantic Coast pipeline has been proposed by a partnership among
    Dominion Resources, Duke Energy, and Southern Gas Company.
    DeSmog research has revealed that a few Trump associates could
    benefit financially if this prioritized pipeline opens for business.
    One is Dan DiMicco, who served as a Senior Economic Adviser to
    Trump’s campaign and led the new administration’s U.S.Trade
    Representative transition team. He also sits on the Board of
    Directors of Duke Energy, one of the pipeline project co-owners.

    You Should Be More Afraid Of Steve Bannon Than*Climate Change*, Says
    Bill McKibben
    <https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/09/afraid-steve-bannon-climate-change-says-bill-mckibben/>

CleanTechnica 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

Up until now, we've been dealing with*climate change*as the most
important issue facing humanity. But this changes everything.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/02/08/national/science-health/japans-58th-showa-station-team-studies-global-warming-antarctic/

    Japan's 58th Showa Station team studies*global warming*in the
    Antarctic
    <http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/02/08/national/science-health/japans-58th-showa-station-team-studies-global-warming-antarctic/>

The Japan Times 	 -‎Feb 7, 2017‎

    SHOWA STATION, ANTARCTICA - Some 14,000 km from Japan, a 33-member
    team is researching a wide range of issues on*global warming*at
    Showa Station, Japan's Antarctic research center. A key pursuit in
    the research is how*global warming*is affecting ...

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/sustainable-approach_what-future-for-winter-tourism-under-global-warming-/42934230

    What future for winter tourism under*global warming*?
    <http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/sustainable-approach_what-future-for-winter-tourism-under-global-warming-/42934230>

swissinfo.ch 	 -‎Feb 6, 2017‎

    Skiing is no longer the money-making business it used to be and
    alpine resorts need to rethink their business model before it is too
    late, argues Christophe Clivaz, an expert in sustainable tourism at
    the University of Lausanne..
    Two-thirds of the Swiss cable car companies depend on public money
    for their survival: this is the worrying fact emerging from a study
    carried out by the University of Applied Sciences at Lucerne.
    Mild winters punish low and mid-altitude resorts, resulting in an
    inexorable decline in the number of skiers. To stay competitive,
    many resorts invest heavily in their ski lifts and artificial
    snowmaking. It is a strategy rejected by Clivaz, a professor at the
    Institute of Geography and Sustainability at the University of
    Lausanne, and co-author of the book "Winter Tourism: Climate Challenge".

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/worlds_mountains_threatened_by_global_warming_20170207

    *Global Warming*Threatens the World's Mountains
    <http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/worlds_mountains_threatened_by_global_warming_20170207>

Truthdig 	 -‎Feb 7, 2017‎

    LONDON - The rising temperatures caused by climate change are having
    a marked effect on mountains worldwide. Science has already
    established that increased*warming*is affecting distinct mountain
    features such as glaciers and high-altitude species, and there is
    now evidence that the entire ecosystem is undergoing change....
    Across the world, climate change is altering the concentrations of
    nutrients in plants and soils. Higher temperatures mean that the
    concentration of nitrogen, for example, is rising significantly, but
    not that of phosphorus...
    "This effect is disrupting the balance between these and other
    nutrients, which is making the ecosystem more vulnerable," says
    Ellen Cieraad, a plant ecologist at the Institute of Environmental
    Sciences of Leiden University in the Netherlands, and a lead author
    of the study....
    And that is worrying: "If the composition of the vegetation changes,
    and on top of that the treeline is not able to migrate fast enough,
    the nitrogen and phosphorous cycles will no longer coincide." More
    research could establish how far these changes are affecting the
    treeline..
    Migration of the treeline goes hand in hand with changes in the
    water cycle, snowfall and temperature, the researchers say. The
    water supply becomes unreliable, for example, not only in the
    mountains themselves but also in areas downstream that depend on
    water from the higher altitudes to feed major rivers. And many
    mountainous regions will no longer be suitable for winter sports.

http://youtu.be/OjHUHCjYP9I
http://youtu.be/0R9UfIUJB1Y *
This Day in Climate History  February 10, 2010
<http://youtu.be/0R9UfIUJB1Y> -  from D.R. Tucker*

      On their respective MSNBC programs, Keith Olbermann and Rachel
    Maddow try to explain to people who flunked all of their science
    classes, many of whom are in Congress, that snow does not disprove
    climate change.
    http://youtu.be/OjHUHCjYP9I
    http://youtu.be/0R9UfIUJB1Y

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .