[TheClimate.Vote] Feb 11, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Feb 11 11:25:57 EST 2017

/Stay well-informed about global warming - Please forward this email.
February 11, 2017

/https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/02/10/temperatures-in-the-arctic-are-skyrocketing-for-the-third-time-this-winter/?utm_term=.ec57a0915529

    Temperatures in the Arctic are skyrocketing -- for the third time
    this winter
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/02/10/temperatures-in-the-arctic-are-skyrocketing-for-the-third-time-this-winter/>

Washington Post 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    While much of the Northeast was forced to batten down the hatches
    this week against strong winds, heavy snow and other icy conditions,
    the usually frigid Arctic experienced the opposite - a period of
    unseasonably mild weather and high temperatures*...**as of Thursday,
    temperatures in the area above 80 degrees north latitude were
    already more than 20 degrees warmer than the average temperature for
    this time of year. As the image above from Climate Reanalyzer shows,
    the most unusually warm region is right over the North Pole.**..
    ... a number of different factors are feeding into these warming
    events, including the steady march of climate change and
    interactions between the air and Arctic sea ice, which global
    warming is melting a little more each year...
    *..."There's more and more evidence that the Arctic, especially, is
    warming quite dramatically and that we should expect to see more of
    these events," he said. "I think it's just more evidence that the
    climate is, in fact, changing."*
    *more at http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php*

    *

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/energy-environment/318950-climate-change-is-a-clear-and-present-danger-to-us

    *Climate change*is a clear and present danger to US security
    <http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/energy-environment/318950-climate-change-is-a-clear-and-present-danger-to-us>

The Hill (blog) 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    Even if it might be convenient, there are no alternative facts when
    it comes to*climate change*. The science is clear and irrefutable
    -*climate change*is a clear and present danger to the United States.
    We know already that it is among the key forces...
    ...climate change is what the military calls a “threat multiplier.”
    It makes bad situations worse and makes troubled regions downright
    dangerous.
    The U.S. military, whose service to our country transcends party
    politics, has recognized climate change as a major threat to
    security for more than a decade, starting with a ground-breaking
    report I spearheaded with a dozen of our nation’s finest former
    military leaders, called the CNA Military Advisory Board. *..

    *

http://www.climatecodered.org/2017/02/climate-warming-unabated-despite-media.html
*Climate warming unabated, despite media spin
<http://www.climatecodered.org/2017/02/climate-warming-unabated-despite-media.html>*

    As a result of human activities, primarily the burning of fossil
    fuels, the planet is warming. Those who deny this fact have pointed
    to a supposed "pause" in warming to justify opposition to climate
    action.
    In 2015, a study led by NOAA’s Tom Karl was published in Science
    that flatly refuted the idea of a "pause." It is one of many. But
    its high profile made it a target for attack.
    On Saturday 4 February, a feature in the UK's Mail on Sunday by
    David Rose makes outrageous claims that were already disproven as
    the paper version hit stands, and that he has already had to in part
    correct. Rose, who has a history of inaccurate reporting, spins a
    scandal out of a letter by a former NOAA employee published on a
    climate change denial blog. The letter makes accusations of
    wrongdoing in the methodology and data archiving procedures used in
    the study. These accusations have already been shown to be faulty.
    Even if they were true, the implications have been blown out of
    proportion by Rose.
    Rebuttals were published in record time, as within minutes there was
    a tweet describing the story as "so wrong its hard to know where to
    start": ...

/http://undark.org/article/climate-science-climategate-michael-mann/
/

    "Serengeti Strategy"  By Michael E. Mann
    <http://undark.org/article/climate-science-climategate-michael-mann/>

Undark Magazine 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    I coined the term "Serengeti Strategy" in my 2012 book "The Hockey
    Stick and the Climate Wars."...to describe how industry special
    interests and their patrons in power single out individual
    researchers or teams of scientists for attack, inmuch the same way
    lions of the Serengeti single out an individual zebra from the herd.
    In numbers, after all, there is strength, while individuals and
    small groups are far more vulnerable — and the purpose is two-fold:
    to undermine the credibility of wider scientific consensus, and to
    discourage other researchers from sticking out their necks and
    participating in the public discourse over matters of
    policy-relevant science...
    With the public conversation hijacked, meaningful progress on
    climate policy is blunted, and the vested interests seeking to
    maintain our current addition to fossil fuels prevail...
    The playbook rarely changes — but one thing is different now, and
    that’s concerning: The latest attacks take place amid historic
    political hostility toward science in general, and climate science
    specifically. We now have a president who has famously dismissed
    climate change as a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese, an
    administration comprised of climate change deniers and fossil fuel
    industry representatives, and a Republican Congress committed to
    dismantling even the modest regulations on carbon pollution that the
    U.S. has managed to implement to date...
    When I was attacked by Joe Barton a decade ago, at a time when both
    houses of Congress and the presidency were in the hands of
    Republicans, I nonetheless found support from the Office of Science
    and Technology Policy under then-President George W. Bush, as well
    as from moderate, pro-science Republicans like Sen. John McCain of
    Arizona, and former Rep. Sherwood Boehlert of New York..
    Americans should be asking where these good-faith conservatives are
    today. Why are they not speaking out against this latest abuse
    against science and reason? If they fail to voice their concerns, it
    may well be open season on the Serengeti — and it’s impossible to
    guess how many scientists, and how much crucial science, will be
    ripped apart.
    /Michael E. Mann is Distinguished Professor of Atmospheric Science
    at Pennsylvania State University, director of the Penn State Earth
    System Science Center,/

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-climate-social-issue.html

    Understanding*climate change*as a social issue
    <https://phys.org/news/2017-02-climate-social-issue.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    "*Climate change*could lead to a humanitarian crisis of epic
    proportions," retired Brig. Gen. Stephen Cheney, CEO of the American
    Security Project and a member of the U.S.

http://climatenewsnetwork.net/air-conditioning-drains-us-power-supply/
*Air conditioning drains US power supply
<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/air-conditioning-drains-us-power-supply/>*

    By Tim Radford  LONDON, 10 February, 2017 As the world heats up so
    too will the need for air conditioning, but America's electricity
    grid could struggle to meet demand, say US scientists.
    – America's power supply could one day falter just when customers
    need it most. New research suggests that although global warming
    will lower demand in some places in winter, in high summer on the
    hottest days the demand for air conditioning could at times be so
    great that the electricity supply grid would not cope.
    Even if climate change is only moderate by the end of the century,
    there will be an average daily increase in demand of 2.8%, and daily
    peak demand could rise by up to 7%....
         "We're not trying to say this is the future scenario. We're
         saying: 'If the future climate were here now, what would
         need to happen to the grid to adapt to that warmer world?'"
    Conventional urban air-conditioning systems present a paradox: they
    burn energy and generate heat to keep buildings cool. And there is
    no doubt that they will be needed. Researchers have repeatedly
    warned that some regions could become intolerably hot by the
    century's end. Other studies have predicted ever greater demand for
    air conditioning, which will in turn accelerate global warming...
    See also: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/01/31/1613193114
    Climate change is projected to have severe impacts on the frequency
    and intensity of peak electricity demand across the United States
    <http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/01/31/1613193114>
      "As the electricity grid is built to endure maximum load, our
    findings have significant implications for the construction of
    costly peak generating capacity, suggesting additional peak capacity
    costs of up to 180 billion dollars by the end of the century under
    business-as-usual."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/my-first-sundance-a-bright-ray-of-light_us_589b7175e4b061551b3e06c1
*My First Sundance: A Bright Ray of Light in a Storm of Darkness
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/my-first-sundance-a-bright-ray-of-light_us_589b7175e4b061551b3e06c1>*
*Betsy Rosenberg*/ HuffingtonPost

    ...It was the debut of the New Climate Program that got me to
    Sundance. Twenty years of covering green news and views on local,
    national and Internet radio finally paid off. The lure of seeing Al
    Gore's sequel to An Inconvenient Truth six months ahead of its
    public release was just too tempting to miss, as a climate denier
    was taking office and filling his cabinet with like-minded appointees...
    Many of the films moved me because they were substantive, well made,
    timely and troubling, if not downright terrifying.
    -- In the terrifying category, /Chasing Coral/ was a stunner, both
    visually and for what it portends. Director Jeff Orlowski has done
    for coral reefs what he did for Arctic glaciers five years earlier;
    captured on camera through time-lapse photography their
    demise....During the festival it was announced that Netflix picked
    up worldwide rights to distribute Chasing Coral, which hopefully
    will mean millions get to see this alarming wake-up call. It also
    won an Audience Award in the U.S. Documentary category...
    --Gore's sequel,... /An Inconvenient Sequel — Truth to Power/ --
    like the original 11 years earlier, was part lecture, part
    travelogue, and part personal journey.
    --/Plastic China/ was a heartbreaker, zooming in on a poor Chinese
    family forced to make a living picking plastic debris (some from
    American brands) out of the adjacent landfill to melt down for the
    Chinese-equivalent of pennies.
    /--Trophy/, an excellent film by Shaul Schwarz and Christina
    Clusiau, focused its lens on the sport of big game hunting and the
    all too lucrative business of poaching.
    --Marina Zenovich's /Water and Power: A California Heist./ The
    producers follow the trail and plumb the depths of water wars in
    scenes reminiscent of Chinatown. This movie is about a real life
    crisis and shows the impacts on local citizens who suffer through
    shortages during drought years while private interests profit by
    manipulating the law.

http://www.seeker.com/hungry-penguins-trapped-in-overfished-waters-by-climate-change-2252691679.html

    Hungry Penguins Trapped in Overfished Waters by*Climate Change*
    <http://www.seeker.com/hungry-penguins-trapped-in-overfished-waters-by-climate-change-2252691679.html>

Seeker 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    *Climate change*and overfishing have left already endangered young
    penguins in Africa confused about where to find food, and they are
    dying in high numbers as a result, researchers said Thursday.

http://www.sciencealert.com/no-noaa-didn-t-fake-environmental-data

    No, the NOAA didn't fake*climate change*data
    <http://www.sciencealert.com/no-noaa-didn-t-fake-environmental-data>

ScienceAlert 	 -‎17 hours ago‎

    Here's something that happens a lot in science: two researchers
    disagree about the best way to go about studying something. They
    fight about it...

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/10/bluebell-woods-in-danger-of-being-wiped-out-by-climate-change-6439114/

    Bluebell woods in danger of being wiped out by*climate change*
    <http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/10/bluebell-woods-in-danger-of-being-wiped-out-by-climate-change-6439114/>

Metro 	 -‎9 hours ago‎

    Carpets of bluebells in woodlands are a much-loved sign of spring,
    but the flowers could struggle as the*climate*changes, a study suggests.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article131754369.html

    Lawmakers strip*climate change*references from new Idaho K-12
    science standards
    <http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article131754369.html>

Idaho Statesman 	 -‎19 hours ago‎

    An Idaho House panel has approved new K-12 science standards, but
    only after striking key references to*climate change*caused by human
    behavior....
    Meanwhile, House Assistant Minority Leader Ilana Rubel, of Boise,
    blasted the committee’s decision for suppressing facts...
    “Not only do we owe it to our children to teach them 21st century
    science, but we owe it to the farmers, foresters and citizens of
    Idaho to take this issue seriously and not bury our heads in the
    sand,” she said in a prepared statement...

.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/10/come-work-in-france-presidential-hopeful-macron-tells-us-climate-change-experts.html

    If Trump's too much, come work in France, presidential hopeful
    Macron tells US*climate change*experts
    <http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/10/come-work-in-france-presidential-hopeful-macron-tells-us-climate-change-experts.html>

CNBC 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    French presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron has invited*climate
    change*researchers working in what appears -- at least in some parts
    -- to be an increasingly skeptical U.S.

http://www.theonion.com/article/steve-bannon-mixes-discarded-climate-change-report-55278

    (satire) Steve Bannon Mixes Discarded*Climate Change*Report With
    Saliva To Build Final Wall Of Nest
    <http://www.theonion.com/article/steve-bannon-mixes-discarded-climate-change-report-55278>

The Onion (satire) 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    WASHINGTON—Revealing that the president's chief strategist had been
    observed scuttling around the residence to gather materials, White
    House aide Alison Fordham confirmed Friday that Steve Bannon was
    mixing a discarded*climate change*report with his saliva to
    construct the final wall of his nest..

*
*http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2013/02/11/Climate-change-risks-to-US-security-seen/UPI-54781360632325/#ixzz2m3sx4HrC*
This Day in Climate History  February 11, 2013
<http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2013/02/11/Climate-change-risks-to-US-security-seen/UPI-54781360632325/#ixzz2m3sx4HrC>-
from D.R. Tucker
*

    **UPI reports on a Harvard University study that indicates "extreme
    weather and climate change present a potential threat to U.S.
    national security for which 'we are not prepared.'"

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .