[TheClimate.Vote] Feb 13, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Feb 13 08:29:00 EST 2017

/Stay well-informed about global warming -  Please forward this email.
February 13, 2017/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/feb/12/humans-causing-climate-to-change-170-times-faster-than-natural-forces
*Humans causing climate to change 170 times faster than natural forces
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/feb/12/humans-causing-climate-to-change-170-times-faster-than-natural-forces>*

    Researchers behind 'Anthropocene equation' say impact of people's
    intense activity on Earth far exceeds that of natural events spread
    across millennia...
    For the first time, researchers have developed a mathematical
    equation to describe the impact of human activity on the earth,
    finding people are causing the climate to change 170 times faster
    than natural forces...
    The equation was developed in conjunction with Professor Will
    Steffen, a climate change expert and researcher at the Australian
    National University, and was published in the journal The
    Anthropocene Review...
    The authors of the paper wrote that for the past 4.5bn years
    astronomical and geophysical factors have been the dominating
    influences on the Earth system. The Earth system is defined by the
    researchers as the biosphere, including interactions and feedbacks
    with the atmosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere and upper lithosphere.
    But over the past six decades human forces "have driven
    exceptionally rapid rates of change in the Earth system," the
    authors wrote, giving rise to a period known as the Anthropocene.
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2120951-simple-equation-shows-how-human-activity-is-trashing-the-planet/
    Simple equation shows how human activity is trashing the planet
    <https://www.newscientist.com/article/2120951-simple-equation-shows-how-human-activity-is-trashing-the-planet/>
    If we take a baseline of the last 7000 years, until recently, global
    temperature decreased at a rate of 0.01 °C per century. The current
    rate (last 45 years) is a rise of 1.7 °C per century – 170 times the
    baseline and in the opposite direction. The warmest 12 years since
    records began have all occurred since 1998...
    The rate of carbon emissions to the atmosphere is arguably the
    highest in 66 million years, when the (non-avian) dinosaurs slipped
    off this mortal coil. The staggering loss of biodiversity in recent
    decades prompted researchers in 2015 to argue that the Anthropocene
    marks the third stage in the evolution of Earth's biosphere,
    following on from the microbial stage 3.5 billion years ago and the
    Cambrian explosion 650 million years ago...
    Pulling this together, we conclude that the rate of change of the
    Earth system over the last 40 to 50 years is a purely a function of
    industrialised societies (H)...
    In the equation, astronomical and geophysical forces tend to zero
    because of their slow nature or rarity, as do internal dynamics, for
    now. All these forces still exert pressure, but currently on orders
    of magnitude less than human impact.
    Journal reference: The Anthropocene Review, doi:
    10.1177/2053019616688022

http://harvardheatweek.org/alumni-letter-from-kc-golden-mpp-88/
*Divest Harvard, Alumni Letter from KC Golden, MPP '88
<http://harvardheatweek.org/alumni-letter-from-kc-golden-mpp-88/>*
March 16, 2015

    Today we feature a brilliant letter from Harvard alum KC Golden. KC
    is a leader in the national climate movement, serving as Senior
    Policy Advisor for Climate Solutions, in the leadership of several
    national climate organizations, and as Board Chair of 350.org.
    His letter is directed at Dean David Ellwood, Dean of Harvard's JFK
    School of Government, where KC studied as a Kennedy Fellow. Read on
    below for a powerful message from one of Harvard's many, many
    distinguished alumni/ae who are calling for divestment, and for
    their classmates to join in Harvard Heat Week April 12-17th.
    Dean David Ellwood  John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard
    University, Cambridge, MA
    *"Invest: to furnish with power, authority; to infuse or belong to"*
    Dear Dean Ellwood,...
    ...experience leaves me absolutely confident that we can do what is
    right and necessary to respond to the climate challenge. The
    technologies, the policy tools, the economic models for a transition
    from fossil fuels to a healthy clean energy economy are within
    reach. The transition won't be easy or cost-free, but it can clearly
    be done at a small fraction of the cost of failing to make it.
    ...As proud as I am of my education and my accomplishments, my faith
    in the whole underlying proposition is deeply shaken...
    How can this be? If both civilization-threatening catastrophe and
    solutions are truly at hand, why don't we rise to the challenge? A
    somewhat simplistic but not inaccurate answer would emphasize the
    unbridled economic and political power of the fossil fuel industry.
    Astonishingly, they have purchased a majority position in the US
    Congress for the view that human-caused climate change doesn't exist
    or warrant action, and cowed much of the minority into acquiescence.
    .. we can take one clear, hopeful step forward right now. We can
    start winding down our investments in companies that block
    solutions, fund climate denial, and continue to explore for new
    fossil fuel reserves when most of their existing reserves must
    remain unburned. We can and must stop investing in making climate
    disruption worse, knowing as we do that continuing capital
    investment in fossil fuels will lock us in to catastrophic emission
    levels. Should we decline to take this step because we are not in
    position to completely leap past fossil fuel dependence immediately?
    We'll never get very far that way...
    ...Truth, "Veritas," is Harvard's purpose. And applying truth to
    effectuate collective action through public institutions is KSG's.
    The opposition to responsible climate policy, spearheaded by the
    fossil fuel industry, is a direct threat to both. Divestment is an
    opportunity to withdraw support from that opposition...
    ...Harvard should not plead impotence, or limit its influence to
    lighting retrofits and energy research. Our responsibility and our
    opportunity to lead are much greater.

http://www.goskagit.com/news/local_news/charges-re-filed-in-pipeline-facility-break-in/article_04f086b1-8e2a-56fa-94e1-d49407cd00fa.html
*Charges re-filed in pipeline facility break-in
<http://www.goskagit.com/news/local_news/charges-re-filed-in-pipeline-facility-break-in/article_04f086b1-8e2a-56fa-94e1-d49407cd00fa.html>*

      By KIMBERLY CAUVEL @Kimberly_SVH Feb 11, 2017 (…)
    Charges were re-filed Wednesday against Kenneth Ward, the Oregon man
    who in October broke into a Kinder Morgan oil pipeline facility west
    of Burlington.
    Ward’s first trial on felony charges of burglary and criminal
    sabotage ended in a mistrial Feb. 1 after jurors failed to reach a
    verdict.
    The re-filing of the charges in Skagit County Superior Court include
    a third felony charge for possession of a controlled substance.
    According to court records, Skagit County sheriff’s deputies found
    prescription drugs on Ward during his arrest Oct. 11. Ward did not
    have a prescription for those drugs.
    Ward was arrested after breaking into a facility that is part of
    Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain Pipeline.
    That pipeline carries crude oil from Canadian tar sands to the oil
    refineries in Washington, including the two at March Point.
    During his trial, Ward admitted to breaking into the facility and
    turning a valve on the pipeline.
    He said he did it to make a statement about climate change and the
    need to transition off fossil fuels.

http://www.ecowatch.com/ken-ward-hung-jury-2249998346.html
*The Climate Data That Led to a Hung Jury
<http://www.ecowatch.com/ken-ward-hung-jury-2249998346.html>*

    Last week, a Skagit County, Washington jury failed to reach a
    verdict in my trial on charges of burglary and sabotage for closing
    the TransMountain pipeline as part of the ShutItDown climate direct
    action, which disrupted all five pipelines carrying Canadian tar
    sands oil into the U.S. last October.
    On the stand, I told the jury my own story, about working for
    decades on the staff of public interest and environmental
    organizations where we treated climate change as merely one among
    many policy issues and about the rude awakening I received after
    reading two seminal papers, Bill Hare's, 1997 Greenpeace
    International report The Carbon Logic
    <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257381319_Fossil_Fuels_and_Climate_Protection_The_Carbon_Logic>
    and Dr. James Hansen's 2005 A Slippery Slope
    <https://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abs/ha08010f.html>.
    For some time, I have argued that emphasizing the complexity of
    climate science does us no service in a public debate where our
    opponents ridicule and warp scientific approaches and where even
    climate activists are befuddled by the complexity of the problem. In
    my defense, truncated as it was, I was able to present the barest
    minimum of information outlining and supporting the simplest and
    direst aspect of the climate emergency: catastrophic sea level rise
    and why my action can be considered appropriate in the circumstances.
    For some number of the Skagit County jury, this limited data set on
    climate change impacts proved more persuasive that the graphic
    depiction of my actions.
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257381319_Fossil_Fuels_and_Climate_Protection_The_Carbon_Logic
    *Fossil Fuels and Climate Protection: The Carbon Logic
    <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257381319_Fossil_Fuels_and_Climate_Protection_The_Carbon_Logic>*
    Abstract
    Preventing dangerous climate change will involve limiting both the
    rate and magnitude of climate change over the next century to levels
    that natural and human systems can tolerate without significant
    damage. This report shows the implications for overall fossil fuel
    use, in the form of a 'carbon budget', over the next century if the
    global community is to prevent dangerous climate change. It is
    demonstrated that it is only possible to burn a small fraction of
    the total oil, coal and gas that has already been discovered, if
    such dangerous changes are to be avoided. Even the reserves of
    fossil fuels that are considered economic to recover now, with no
    advances in technology, are far greater than the total allowable
    'carbon budget'.
    https://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abs/ha08010f.html
    https://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/2005/2005_Hansen_ha08010f.pdf /(a
    NASA document - you may want to download and save)/
    Hansen, J.E., 2005: *A slippery slope: How much global warming
    constitutes "dangerous anthropogenic interference"?
    <https://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/2005/2005_Hansen_ha08010f.pdf>* An
    editorial essay. Climatic Change, 68, 269-279,
    doi:10.1007/s10584-005-4135-0.
    Publication Abstract
    Are we on a slippery slope now? Can human-made global warming cause
    ice sheet melting measured in meters of sea level rise, not
    centimeters, and can this occur in centuries, not millennia? Can the
    very inertia of the ice sheets, which protects us from rapid sea
    level change now, become our bêete noire as portions of the ice
    sheet begin to accelerate, making it practically impossible to avoid
    disaster for coastal regions?
    Get PDF (253 kB)
    https://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/2005/2005_Hansen_ha08010f.pdf

http://www.ecowatch.com/trump-kids-climate-lawsuit-2250707551.html
*Kids Name Trump as Defendant in Landmark Climate Case
<http://www.ecowatch.com/trump-kids-climate-lawsuit-2250707551.html>*

    Youth plaintiffs in Juliana v. United States filed a notice Thursday
    with a federal court in Oregon, naming Donald J. Trump as a
    defendant in their landmark climate case on pace for trial this
    fall. Plaintiffs have substituted President Trump as a named party
    in place of former President Barack Obama under the Federal Rules...
    In Juliana v. United States, 21 young plaintiffs sued the federal
    government for violating their constitutional rights and their
    rights to vital public trust resources. The complaint alleges the
    government locked in a fossil-fuel based national energy system for
    more than five decades with full knowledge of the extreme dangers it
    posed. The plaintiffs have been further emboldened by President
    Trump's blatant climate denial, inspiring them in their fight to
    secure climate justice and a safe future...
    "I look forward to taking on the Trump administration, as I think
    our new president, of all people, needs to have his power checked,"
    said Kiran Ooommen, 20-year-old plaintiff from Eugene, Oregon.
    "President Trump benefits financially from the fossil fuel industry,
    but his benefit comes at a heavy cost for the rest of us. The
    policies of the U.S. government that ignore the threat of climate
    change are only going to get worse under the new presidency, based
    on Trump's apparent lack of understanding of climate science and his
    plans to invest further in the fossil fuel industry."

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/2/10/14579380/senator-jason-chaffetz-town-hall-science-question-boos-watch
*Congressman is righteously booed after dodging a young girl's simple
question about science*
Not your average town hall meeting /(video on site)/

    One hour into a loud, contentious town hall meeting in his home
    state of Utah, Congressman Jason Chaffetz was asked two simple
    questions by a young girl named Hannah Bradshaw. The first was about
    the environment: "What are you doing to help protect our water and
    air for our generations and my kids' generations?" The second was
    just a bit more broad: "Do you believe in science?"..
    Asking the sitting congressman if he believes in science is sadly a
    relevant question. Chaffetz has called global warming "a farce," and
    just this week co-sponsored a bill to abolish the Department of
    Education. He also recently proposed a bill that would have
    transferred ownership of federal public lands to the states, making
    them easier to sell. (He swiftly withdrew that bill after it sparked
    public outrage.)...
    ... Chaffetz deflected hard enough to cause whiplash. Luckily, the
    crowd wasn't having it. One woman in particular can be heard loudly
    repeating the words "ANSWER THE QUESTION," and so Chaffetz was
    goaded into responding to Bradshaw...
    Chaffetz started with an empty statement that only a career
    politician could think would play well in front of a high school
    auditorium packed to the brim with frothing citizens: "What is
    thrown into our air, what is thrown into our water, obviously has an
    effect on our environment." He was then met with a holy chorus of
    boos when he said he supported an "all of the above energy strategy"
    that includes coal as "an important part of that future."..
    The Salt Lake Tribune live-streamed the entire event on Facebook,
    and if you pick up the exchange over there you'll be treated to
    Chaffetz continuing to ignore Bradshaw's questions while propping up
    muddy arguments like electric cars being dirty — "There's a lot of
    people who want to move to electricity. Well how in the world do you
    think electricity is generated?" — and how solar farms are
    destroying wildlife...
    Chaffetz endured another 15 minutes of the town hall before
    literally being booed off the stage.
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865673055/Chaffetz-faces-harsh-criticism-during-packed-town-hall.html
    *'Do your job': Angry town hall crowd jeers Chaffetz in packed
    auditorium
    <http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865673055/Chaffetz-faces-harsh-criticism-during-packed-town-hall.html>*
    COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — In an electric town hall meeting filled with
    angry rebukes thrown at Rep. Jason Chaffetz, it was perhaps the soft
    spoken but pointed question from a young girl that drew the loudest
    standing ovation.
    "Do you believe in science?" asked Hannah Bradshaw. "Because I do."
    The frustration of some Utah voters upset with the president —
    roughly 1,000 of them inside the Brighton High School auditorium,
    and well over 1,000 people protesting outside the school — reached a
    fever pitch from the very start of the Utah Republican's
    question-and-answer session Thursday.
    "So, President Trump," Chaffetz began, a minute or two into the
    meeting, before being immediately drowned out by loud boos.
    "If you want me to answer the question, please give me more than
    five seconds to answer it, OK?" Chaffetz asked a few minutes later
    after several people heckled him, claiming he hadn't adequately
    answered an audience member's question about investigating Trump....
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865673195/Utah-Democrats-hit-Chaffetz-for-dismissing-town-hall-crowd-as-paid-protesters.html
    *Utah Democrats hit Chaffetz for dismissing town hall crowd as paid
    protesters
    <http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865673195/Utah-Democrats-hit-Chaffetz-for-dismissing-town-hall-crowd-as-paid-protesters.html>*
    SALT LAKE CITY — A top Utah Democrat ripped Rep. Jason Chaffetz on
    Saturday for dismissing Thursday night's raucous town hall meeting
    as being fueled by paid protesters from out of state, not
    representative of his 3rd District constituents.
    "He's out of touch with reality. He's out of touch with the
    political reality on the ground," said House Minority Leader Rep.
    Brian King.

https://www.ft.com/content/8341b644-ef95-11e6-ba01-119a44939bb6

    A carbon border tax is the best answer on*climate change*
    <https://www.ft.com/content/8341b644-ef95-11e6-ba01-119a44939bb6>

Financial Times 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    *Climate change*is a clear threat and needs to be addressed.
    Designing policy appropriate for multiple sectors and industries is
    difficult and complex.

http://cornellsun.com/2017/02/12/call-a-thon-pressures-legislators-on-climate-change-immigration/

    Call-A-Thon Pressures Legislators on*Climate Change*, Immigration
    <http://cornellsun.com/2017/02/12/call-a-thon-pressures-legislators-on-climate-change-immigration/>

Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    "The central idea behind climate justice is that*climate change*is a
    social justice issue," Vega said. "The burden of its consequences
    are unfairly placed on the shoulders of communities that contribute
    the least to carbon emissions and that have the*...
    *

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/02/12/expected-dam-spillway-fail-prompts-calif-evacuation/97834632/

    Roads jammed as residents evacuate below endangered dam spillway
    <http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/02/12/expected-dam-spillway-fail-prompts-calif-evacuation/97834632/>

USA TODAY 	 -‎7 minutes ago‎

    Roads leading out of Oroville, Calif., were jammed with traffic
    Sunday evening as people evacuated the area due to the possibility
    of failure of the alternate spillway at Oroville Dam....
    /*Water began flowing over the emergency spillway at the Oroville
    Dam in Northern California on Saturday for the first time in its
    nearly 50-year history after heavy rainfall.*
    //http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/water-flow-slowing-emergency-spillway-tallest-us-dam-45442749/

//http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/12/oroville-dam-feds-and-state-officials-ignored-warnings-12-years-ago/
*Oroville Dam: Feds and state officials ignored warnings 12 years ago
<http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/12/oroville-dam-feds-and-state-officials-ignored-warnings-12-years-ago/>*

    "Three environmental groups — the Friends of the River, the Sierra
    Club and the South Yuba Citizens League — filed a motion with the
    federal government on Oct. 17, 2005, as part of Oroville Dam’s
    relicensing process, urging federal officials to require that the
    dam’s emergency spillway
    <http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/11/emergency-spillway-used-at-oroville-dam-for-first-time/>
    be armored with concrete, rather than remain as an earthen hillside."
    (video )
    http://newsvideo.mercurynews.com/?ndn.trackingGroup=90757&ndn.siteSection=bangnews&ndn.videoId=31979176

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBqPh1lrt0
*This Day in Climate History  February 13, 2008
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBqPh1lrt0> -  from D.R. Tucker*

    In his "Bushed" segment, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann observes:
    "Number two: Global warming denier-gate. Singer Sheryl Crow reveals
    that her new album, 'Detours,' filled with political protest songs,
    was inspired by her visit last year to the White House
    Correspondents Dinner and the rage she felt after her encounter with
    Karl Rove.  She tried to talk to him about global warming and she
    says his response was: 'I don‘t work for you, I work for the
    American people.'  No, you worked for George Bush and now you work
    for Rupert Murdoch.  That is two American people, not THE American
    people."

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .