[TheClimate.Vote] Feb 15, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Feb 15 10:42:44 EST 2017

/Stay well-informed about global warming -  Please forward this email.
February 15, 2017/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5hbkg34Ow
(video) *Climate: What did We Know and When Did We Know it?*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5hbkg34Ow>

    YaleClimateConnections
    <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtZdUYUZr493AUh_EInBYxQ> video
    Published on Feb 14, 2017
    Climate models have a strong record in helping scientists foresee a
    warmer world ... and its impacts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/opinion/what-californias-dam-crisis-says-about-the-changing-climate.html?_r=0
*What California's Dam Crisis Says About the Changing Climate
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/opinion/what-californias-dam-crisis-says-about-the-changing-climate.html?_r=0>*

    Our water system was designed and built in an old climate, one in
    which extremely warm years were less common and snowpack was more
    reliable. Here in the West, we use the same dams and reservoirs for
    both water storage and flood control, so during the wet season,
    reservoir managers continuously balance the dual pressures of
    storing as much water as possible for the dry summer and releasing
    sufficient water to create room for the next storm...
    This system relies on the natural reservoir of mountain snowpack,
    which melts gradually over the spring and summer. While it is well
    known that much of the West relies on snowpack for water storage,
    the vital role of snowpack in flood control is considerably less
    appreciated. When precipitation falls as snow, it stays in the
    mountains rather than flowing into reservoirs. This leaves more room
    in reservoirs to prevent flooding downstream during heavy rainfall.
    /Noah S. Diffenbaugh is a senior fellow and professor of earth
    system science at Stanford./

https://the-macroscope.org/im-a-scientist-this-is-what-i-ll-fight-for-554ccb15e99b#.qdczy1hco
*I'm a Scientist. This is What I'll Fight For.
<https://the-macroscope.org/im-a-scientist-this-is-what-i-ll-fight-for-554ccb15e99b#.qdczy1hco>*

    The War on Science is more than a skirmish over funding, censorship,
    and "alternative facts". It's a battle for the future, basic
    decency, and the people we love...
    Make no mistake: There is a War on Science in America.
    The White House not only denies obvious, empirical facts on a
    regular basis, but they have invented the Orwellian concept of
    "alternative facts". In the past, we simply called them "lies", but
    now they are used in the world's most powerful office. And that
    should scare all of us...
    What's worse is that the White House and many members of Congress
    aren't just anti-fact, they are against the pursuit of facts, and
    have tried to place draconian restrictions on what federal
    scientists can research, publish, and even discuss. And god knows
    what will happen to our nation's long-standing investments in
    research and science education.
    This attack on science, and on knowledge itself, goes beyond
    anything we have seen in America before. And it is not only
    dangerous to science, it is dangerous to our nation and the world....
    "The greatness of America is strengthened by science—it helps us
    lift people up, improve the human condition, and build a better world."
    "Let's be clear: those who conduct a War on Science are also
    declaring war on the people we love. If they get their way, people
    will die. And I'm going to fight to make sure that doesn't happen.
    You should too."

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/2/14/14601932/exxon-first-amendment-free-speech-citizens-global-warming

*Corporations like Exxon are using spurious free speech claims to fend
off regulation
<http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/2/14/14601932/exxon-first-amendment-free-speech-citizens-global-warming>*

    (Vox)  In the latest instance of the corporate takeover of the First
    Amendment — and other constitutional rights — Exxon Mobil, the
    world's largest oil and gas corporation, has invented a
    constitutional right to obstruct state investigations into
    allegations of fraud...
    Investigations by the Massachusetts and New York attorneys general
    began late last year after the Los Angeles Times reported that Exxon
    scientists and executives have known for decades about the
    connection between fossil fuel consumption and the likelihood of
    catastrophic changes in the Earth's atmosphere and climate...
    The report alleged that as early as the 1980s, Exxon scientists were
    warning the company in internal communications that global climate
    change could "indeed be catastrophic (at least for a substantial
    fraction of the earth's population)." According to the journalists'
    report, Exxon's internal teams used that information for purposes of
    assessing the potential for profitable investment in new oil
    exploration and production. Yet these were the same climate models
    that Exxon "dismissed as unreliable and based on uncertain science"
    in statements to investors, consumers, and the general public.

https://news.mongabay.com/2017/02/counterintuitive-global-hydropower-boom-will-add-to-climate-change/

*Counterintuitive: Global hydropower boom will add to climate change
<https://news.mongabay.com/2017/02/counterintuitive-global-hydropower-boom-will-add-to-climate-change/>*

    Mongabay.com  -  And it isn't good news. ... Over a 100-year
    timeframe, methane's effect on global warming is more than 30 times,
    and nitrous oxide's effect is almost ...
      --  For many years new hydropower dams were assumed to be zero
    greenhouse gas emitters. Now with 847 large (more than 100 MW) and
    2,853 smaller (more than 1 MW) hydropower projects currently planned
    or under construction around the world, a new global study has shown
    that dam reservoirs are major greenhouse gas emitters.
      --  The study looked at the carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4),
    and nitrous oxide (N2O) emitted from 267 reservoirs across six
    continents. Globally, the researchers estimate that reservoirs
    contribute 1.3 percent of human-made greenhouse gas emissions,
    comparable to those from rice paddy cultivation or biomass burning.
    --  Reservoir emissions are not currently counted within the UN
    Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (UN IPCC) emissions
    assessments, but they should be, argue the researchers. In fact,
    countries are currently eligible under the UN's Clean Development
    Mechanism (CDM) to receive carbon credits for newly built dams.
      --  The study raises the question as to whether hydropower should
    continue to be counted as green power or be eligible for UN CDM
    carbon credits...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/marine-ecosystems-are-preparing-for-climate-change/

    Marine Ecosystems Are Preparing for*Climate Change*
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/marine-ecosystems-are-preparing-for-climate-change/>

Scientific American 	 -‎15 hours ago‎

    While countless scientific reports have documented the ravages
    of*climate change*on oceanic life, a survey of the researchers who
    wrote them provides a silver lining: An overwhelming majority
    noticed examples of sea life withstanding*climate change*.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/what-a-relief-that-climate-change-doesnt-really-exist-20170214-gucb48.html

    (sarcasm) What a relief that*climate change*doesn't really exist
    <http://www.smh.com.au/comment/what-a-relief-that-climate-change-doesnt-really-exist-20170214-gucb48.html>

The Sydney Morning Herald 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    As we've sweltered through this terrible summer - and lately, as
    bushfires have raged - what a comfort it's been to know that*climate
    change*doesn't exist and isn't happening. Or, if it does exist, it's
    not caused by anything humans have done, so there*...*

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11800198
<http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11800198>

    Preparing New Zealand for*climate change*
    <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11800198>

New Zealand Herald 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    The funding, for five studies, is part of the Deep South National
    Science Challenge, which aims to help Kiwis adapt to the effects
    that*climate change*will bring, among them extreme weather events,
    drought, changes in typical weather patterns and sea*...*

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-norwegian-ice-cap-exceptionally-sensitive.html
*Norwegian ice cap 'exceptionally sensitive' to climate change
<https://phys.org/news/2017-02-norwegian-ice-cap-exceptionally-sensitive.html>*

    (Phys.Org) With global warming continuing, the glacier will most
    likely …more ... But the implication of our study is that if climate
    warming continues, this ice cap ...

https://www.inverse.com/article/24714-10-most-popular-climate-change-conspiracy-theories
*(misinformation) The 10 Most Popular Climate Change Conspiracy Theories
<https://www.inverse.com/article/24714-10-most-popular-climate-change-conspiracy-theories>*

    There's such a fine line between paranoid and stupid.
    10. Tesla Cars Pollute More Than Gas-Consuming Cars...
    9.  Ocean acidification isn't real...
    8.  Climate Change is Natural...
    7.  Deniers Are Going to be Put in Jail...
    6.  It's a Chinese Hoax...
    5.  Population Will Be Forced Into Cities...
    4.  It's a Grab for Taxpayer Dollars...
    3.  It's Anti-Russia Propaganda...
    2.  It's All a United Nations Power Play...
    1.   97 Percent of Scientists Are Lying...

    Congress Protects Coasts From*Climate Change*With Mud
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/congress-protects-coasts-from-climate-change-21162>

Climate Central 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    As California reels from record-breaking erosion following punishing
    waves last winter, the federal government is turning to mud and sand
    from dredging projects to slow land losses and ease flooding
    nationwide as seas rise and storms intensify.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123671588&sc=emaf
*This Day in Climate History  February 15, 2010
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123671588&sc=emaf>
-  from D.R. Tucker*

       NPR's Christopher Joyce reports:  (Audio 4:00 )
    "Most [climate scientists] don't see a contradiction between a
    warming world and lots of snow. That includes Kevin Trenberth, a
    prominent climate scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric
    Research in Colorado.
    "'The fact that the oceans are warmer now than they were, say, 30
    years ago means there's about on average 4 percent more water vapor
    lurking around over the oceans than there was, say, in the 1970s,'
    he says.
    "Warmer water means more water vapor rises up into the air, and what
    goes up must come down.
    "'So one of the consequences of a warming ocean near a coastline
    like the East Coast and Washington, D.C., for instance, is that you
    can get dumped on with more snow partly as a consequence of global
    warming,' he says.
    "And Trenberth notes that you don't need very cold temperatures to
    get big snow. In fact, when the mercury drops too low, it may be too
    cold to snow."
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123671588&sc=emaf

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .