[TheClimate.Vote] Feb 24, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Feb 24 08:13:48 EST 2017

/February 24, 2017     Considering climate change ethical conundrums /

http://news.stanford.edu/2017/02/23/moral-element-climate-change/

    Stanford researcher examines moral significance of actions causing
    *climate change*
    <http://news.stanford.edu/2017/02/23/moral-element-climate-change/>

Stanford University News 	 -‎9 hours ago‎

"We often have debates in*climate change*about how to trade off benefits
and burdens without adequately considering what constitutes benefits and
burdens - and whether all burdens are of the same kind," said Debra
Satz, a professor of philosophy and ...

    Through his research, he aims to create a framework that governments
    could use to evaluate the moral implications of their energy,
    transportation and other climate change policies in order to
    consider when it is morally justified for them to emit greenhouse
    gases...
    "We often have debates in climate change about how to trade off
    benefits and burdens without adequately considering what constitutes
    benefits and burdens – and whether all burdens are of the same
    kind," said Debra Satz, a professor of philosophy and senior
    associate dean for the humanities and arts. "Blake's approach
    introduces an important dimension – not all burdens to people count
    as harms."..
    For example, a wealthy company losing a small portion of its assets
    is less harmful than a person losing his or her subsistence – even
    if the dollar amount of the company's loss is greater than the
    individual's loss, said Satz, who is also Francis' advisor...
    "This research is poised to make a significant contribution to our
    obligations to others in the context of the differential
    consequences of climate change," she said. "It's political
    philosophy at its best – illuminating, deep and action-guiding."...
    ..."Americans aren't paying the true price of gasoline," Francis
    said. "And I think there is something very worrying about the fact
    that because of government subsidies we are not paying that true
    cost. But it's complicated because we know that keeping gas prices
    low is really good for the poor and the middle class."...
    In addition to examining specific cases, Francis is studying climate
    change policies and their evolution on the national and
    international level to determine the current moral assessment the
    public has about actions that lead to global warming. He is also
    researching the rules of organizations, such as the World Bank and
    the World Health Organization, regarding climate change, the
    restrictions they put on projects they help finance and how those
    policies were decided...
    The information and insight Francis gains will be used to help
    create the moral framework so that nations can choose wisely when it
    comes to climate change policy. But that framework will require a
    long time and an effort from experts of all disciplines...
    "Ultimately, it's a big interdisciplinary task that philosophers by
    themselves won't be able to accomplish," Francis said. "But I think
    there is a big chunk of it having to do with what counts as a harm,
    how to trade off benefits and harms and when emitting is wrong that
    I could have a say in."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/should-you-enjoy-the-warm-winters-of-climate-change/517512/

    Is It Okay to Enjoy the Warm Winters of*Climate Change*?
    <https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/should-you-enjoy-the-warm-winters-of-climate-change/517512/>

The Atlantic 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    The weather is nice, but it reminds us of the problems to come.
    Most people handle this weather as the gift it is: an opportunity to
    get outside, run or bike or play catch, and get an early jump on the
    spring. But for the two-thirds of Americans who are at least fairly
    worried about global warming, the weather can also prompt anxiety
    and unease. As one woman told the Chicago Tribune: "It's scary,
    that's my first thing. Because in all my life I've never seen a
    February this warm." Or as one viral tweet put it: "Me enjoying this
    weather but knowing our Earth is danger"
    Katherine Hayhoe, an atmospheric scientist at Texas Tech University,
    told me that people shouldn't hesitate to enjoy unseasonably warm
    days, whether or not they are caused by climate change...
    "It's a good example of how all of the symptoms of a changing
    climate are not negative. And if there is something good, then
    enjoying it doesn't make [climate change] any better or worse than
    it would be otherwise," she said...
    Rather, the warm days might prepare people to notice other shifts in
    how they experience the weather. "As it gets warmer, the negative
    impacts outweigh the positive impacts," she said. "This will first
    look like hotter summers, pests moving northward, and our
    air-conditioning and water bill going up. Having these unusual days
    that we really notice, it makes us more aware of how other things
    are changing, too."
    But a study published last year in Nature should make advocates
    pause. It found that, for the vast majority of Americans, the
    weather became more favorable and pleasant from 1974 to 2013. Over
    all, winters have gotten generally warmer and more pleasant for
    "virtually all Americans," while summers have not yet become
    scorching and oppressively humid.

http://investorplace.com/2017/02/exxon-mobil-corporation-xom-stock-tied-trump/

    Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) Stock Is Tied Hip-and-Thigh to Trump
    <http://investorplace.com/2017/02/exxon-mobil-corporation-xom-stock-tied-trump/>

Investorplace.com 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    No stock you can buy today is more closely tied to the fate of the
    Trump Administration than Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM).
    "It is hard to imagine a better scenario" for Exxon than a Trump
    administration, writes Martin Tiller of Oilprice. If Tiller is
    right, XOM stock is a bargain at below $83 per share, its opening
    price on Feb. 15...
    The company is also moving ahead globally, benefiting from the end
    of a rule that made companies disclose foreign bribes.
    Exxon is a big player in Iraq, and Tillerson may be the only person
    alive who can make that work, getting around the Administration's
    travel ban and Trump's comments that the U.S. should have seized the
    country's oil in 2003 when it had the chance.

http://www.ecori.org/climate-change/2017/2/22/reckoning-with-parenting-in-the-time-of-climate-change

    Reckoning Parenting, Raising Kids in Time of*Climate Change*
    <http://www.ecori.org/climate-change/2017/2/22/reckoning-with-parenting-in-the-time-of-climate-change>

ecoRI news 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    The size and scope of climate change is mind bogging. While its
    impact is already being felt locally and globally, our warming
    planet is expected to inflict vastly greater damage on the built and
    natural environment for decades and centuries to come..
    ...Already, climate refugees are taking flight as parts of the
    planet become uninhabitable. Prolonged conflicts, like the war in
    Syria, are partly blamed on intense weather events such as drought,
    flooding and forest fires...
    For some, contemplating this current and future dystopia — combined
    with reluctant leaders to confront it — induces a great deal of
    anxiety. The prospects are especially daunting for anyone weighing
    life-changing decisions, such as parenting. In particular, the
    dilemma is very real for many 20- and 30-somethings who grew up only
    knowing the threat of climate change...
    This trepidation is akin to the distress and uncertainty Baby
    Boomers endured from the threat of nuclear annihilation during the
    Cold War, according to the co-founder of a project that confronts
    parenting in the era of climate change...
    "History is full of examples of people wondering if the world is
    safe for their children," said Meghan Kallman, a Pawtucket, R.I.,
    resident and co-founder of Conceivable Future, a project centered on
    the principal of reproductive justice...
    Kallman and Josephine Ferorelli created Conceivable Future as a
    platform for anyone conflicted about raising children in world that
    is growing more perilous. Both have a wide range of experience and
    expertise to draw from. Kallman is a Brown University-trained
    sociologist. She teaches sociology at Brown and at the state prison,
    the Adult Correctional Institutions...
    In November, Kallman was elected to the Pawtucket City Council. She
    said her know-how as a sociologist and community organizer helped
    her connect with voters and empathize with constituents since she's
    been elected...
    The election of President Donald Trump has intensified the need for
    civil disobedience, according to both Kallman and Ferorelli. Trump
    opposes reproductive rights; he's a climate-change denier; a staunch
    advocate for the fossil-fuel extraction industry. Kallman and
    Ferorelli say the uncertainty posed by Trump has heightened the
    anxiety about climate change and led to an increase in people
    reaching out to Conceivable Future for help...
    "Trump is a wild card. He's done a lot of things to suggest the
    world is going to be less safe for everybody's children," Kallman
    said...
    Soon after launching their website, Kallman and Ferorelli discovered
    the benefit of the video testimonial. The confessions allow people
    to articulate their feelings and put them on a path to resolve or at
    least improve the moral quandary posed by climate change and
    parenting...
    The video "does very important work in humanizing the climate
    crisis," Ferorelli said. "The testimony is about saying to the
    world, 'This is my truth and I'm going to share it with people.'"..

https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/02/22/uk-climate-deniers-take-anti-science-message-trump-administration-cpac-2017
*UK Climate Deniers Take Anti-Science Message to Trump Administration at
CPAC 2017
<https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/02/22/uk-climate-deniers-take-anti-science-message-trump-administration-cpac-2017>*
By Mat Hope • Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:09

    Two fringe British climate science deniers are heading to Maryland
    to see Donald Trump and his tea party pals this week, taking their
    Brexit-inflected anti-science agenda with them...
    Trump's golden elevator buddy and UKIP MEP, Nigel Farage, and
    far-right Breitbart London commentator, James Delingpole, are both
    due to appear at the American Conservative Union's annual
    Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), starting today...
    CPAC claims to be the "birthplace of modern conservatism", and aims
    to "break through the resistance of Washington's powerful elites"
    via four-days of talks and activist training. In recent years it has
    been seen as a breeding ground for Tea Party ideas and activism...
    The conference will offer Farage and Delingpole an opportunity to
    network with other members of a US-UK climate science denial network
    linked to Brexit and Trump, previously mapped by DeSmog UK.
    https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/02/22/uk-climate-deniers-take-anti-science-message-trump-administration-cpac-2017
    Special Relationship: The US-UK Climate Science Denier Network
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/02/22/uk-climate-deniers-take-anti-science-message-trump-administration-cpac-2017>
    https://littlesis.org/maps/1866-special-relationship-the-us-uk-climate-science-denier-network
    view this map on LittleSis <view%20this%20map%20on%20LittleSis>

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-likelihood-dangerous-climate-thresholds.html
*(text + video) Computer model predicts the likelihood of crossing
several dangerous climate change thresholds
<https://phys.org/news/2017-02-likelihood-dangerous-climate-thresholds.html>*
Phys.Org-Feb 22, 2017

    A new computer model of accumulated carbon emissions predicts the
    likelihood of crossing several dangerous climate change thresholds.
    These include global temperature rise sufficient to lose the
    Greenland Ice Sheet and generate seven meters of long-term sea level
    rise, or tropical region warming to a level that is deadly to humans
    and other mammals....
    These include /global/ temperature rise sufficient to lose the
    Greenland Ice ... and generate seven meters of long-term sea level
    rise, or tropical region /warming/ to ...
    A unique part of the study is that it's timing-agnostic. "Basically,
    think of the climate system as a 'carbon bathtub,'" said Fyke. "What
    this study mainly does is assess how full the bathtub might get. It
    could get to the same level at different times. For example, the tap
    could go full-out for 20 years, or a drip for 100 years, but the end
    result—net warming—is essentially the same, and only depends on the
    level the 'carbon bathtub' gets to, before we turn off the tap
    completely."
    The issues with green house gases are extraordinary and complex and
    the consequences of rising green houses gases will have global
    impacts. "Of course, our results are model dependent and, as with
    any model, could certainly change as the model design or input
    parameters evolve," said Fyke. "However, demonstration of a
    risk-based assessment of climate change due to cumulative emissions
    is important, because such assessments are needed by policy-makers
    and planners involved in large-scale climate change mitigation and
    adaptation efforts."

http://www.readingeagle.com/life/article/commentary-john-olivers-plan-to-reach-donald-trump
*Commentary: John Oliver's plan to reach Donald Trump
<http://www.readingeagle.com/life/article/commentary-john-olivers-plan-to-reach-donald-trump>*

    Reading Eagle-8 hours ago
    The cowboy didn't just explain /global warming/. He also enlightened
    viewers - and one in particular - that killing a terrorist's family
    is a violation of the Geneva ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xecEV4dSAXE
    Trump vs. Truth: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xecEV4dSAXE>
    Donald Trump spreads a lot of false information thanks to his daily
    consumption of morning cable news. If only we could sneak some facts
    into the president's media diet.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/opinion/article_8494fbf4-f919-11e6-8621-17ddf3e0fa05.html
*Guest column: Trump and Putin's dangerous embrace of fossil fuels
<http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/opinion/article_8494fbf4-f919-11e6-8621-17ddf3e0fa05.html>*
The Advocate-

    Trump's plans, including coal and more pipelines, put /global
    warming/ on steroids. It's threatening enough that the industrial
    revolution, powered by fossil fuel ...