[TheClimate.Vote] Feb 27, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Feb 27 12:35:02 EST 2017

/February 27, 2017 //New study for //Vancouver predicts their future /

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/climate-change-predicted-to-transform-vancouver-into-san-diego-but-at-a-heavy-cost

    *Climate change*predicted to transform Vancouver into San Diego, but
    at a heavy cost
    <http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/climate-change-predicted-to-transform-vancouver-into-san-diego-but-at-a-heavy-cost>

Vancouver Sun 	 -‎16 hours ago‎

    Goodbye Vancouver, hello San Diego. (video)
    A major climate-change study predicts temperatures in Metro
    Vancouver will exceed those of present-day Southern California in
    the coming decades.
    Frost and ice will become virtually a thing of the past, heating
    bills will drop, and farm crops will flourish virtually year-round
    in the Fraser Valley.
    That's the good news.
    On the down side...the region can expect: air-conditioning costs to
    soar; worsening smog and associated health problems; increased
    forest fires and water shortages; summer droughts followed by severe
    fall rain events; and an influx of invasive species threatening
    forests and agriculture....
    The report assumes a "business as usual" approach to global
    greenhouse gas emissions, and would have to be updated if
    governments adopt serious and swift measures to address the problem...
    The report notes that savings in heating costs due to rising
    temperatures will be offset by the need for air conditioning. Areas
    of lower elevation, where most buildings are located, will see more
    demand for air conditioning than present-day Kamloops by the 2050s...
    The building industry will shoulder some of the responsibility for
    finding solutions...
    Installing natural and/or passive shading and green roofs on current
    and future buildings could become more cost effective and help to
    "future-proof" buildings for climate change...
    City of North Vancouver mayor Darrell Mussatto, who is also chair of
    Metro Vancouver's utilities committee, noted that the region is
    trying to be proactive — water restrictions could begin as early as
    May 1 in 2018, compared with the current May 15, which is consistent
    with predictions for climate change...
    "We are taking this report seriously,"
    ... also looking at the pros and cons of residential water metering.
    Longer-term solutions may include deepening of the intake at
    Coquitlam reservoir and raising the height of the Seymour dam to
    create more storage capacity for drier periods...
    Our ability to purchase fresh local produce for much of the year
    will be a boon to consumers...
    Farmers in the Fraser Valley will be able to grow crops virtually
    year-round under a warming climate. At lower elevations, 45 days
    will be added to the growing season by the 2050s and 56 days by the
    2080s, the climate-change report for Metro Vancouver predicts...
    Farmers may seize the opportunity to plant more valuable crops and
    can expect earlier harvests...
    But those benefits will be countered by increased pests and plant
    diseases. And variations in temperature and precipitation may cause
    pollinators to emerge at the wrong time...
    Brent Harris is a fifth-generation Delta farmer who grows mixed
    crops — potatoes, beans, peas, corn and grain. He likes the idea of
    a longer growing season "although we might all be under the ocean by
    then," but he believes that farmers will have to adapt to more
    extreme weather events year-round...
    Last year he planted his corn in late April — the earliest date
    ever, by 10 to 14 days — because of the warm weather and dry fields.
    On the other hand, the pond on his property was frozen for skating
    for a full month this winter — something that has never happened
    before. He also recalls 2010 when his potato crop was ruined by wet
    weather. ..
    "We don't want to get lulled into complacency, and start assuming
    you'll be able to plant and harvest on certain days," said Harris....
    "Water will have to be drawn between tide cycles and there is no
    guarantee that sufficient water will be available." ...
    It's also important that rainwater is allowed to replenish aquifers
    during winter rains, he continued, noting that urban development
    works against that...
    "The water runs off the roadways, rooftops and parking lots and
    enters the surface waterways and makes its way out to the ocean.
    This water is lost and cannot be used in summer months when we need
    the freshwater resources."...
    As the climate changes, some plants and animals will thrive and
    adapt, but others will perish...
    Hotter summers with less rain will negatively impact both
    terrestrial and aquatic species. Salmon in the Fraser River system
    are already experiencing mortality trying to return to excessively
    warm streams to spawn...
    Invasive species "may be better able to thrive in changing
    conditions and may out-compete native species," says the report...
    Invaders such as purple loosestrife, diffuse knapweed, hawkweed,
    cheatgrass, Scotch broom, Eurasian milfoil and Dalmatian toadflax
    are already well established in B.C. Others, such as red-eared
    slider turtles in Metro Vancouver and Argentine ants in Victoria,
    threaten to expand their range as the climate warms....
    Another threat is the nutria, a beaver-like mammal introduced
    decades ago for the fur market in the Pacific Northwest and now
    well-established in neighbouring Washington state. It consumes
    one-quarter of its body weight daily and also causes damage through
    burrowing, including into dams and dikes...
    Even without pests, climate change will affect local forests,
    reducing growth and increasing mortality...
    Increased wildfires threaten to "dramatically affect the forest
    structure," the report warns...
    Plants may suffer from heat stress and sun scald, increasing demand
    for heat-tolerant plants...
    It all adds up to big changes on the horizon for Metro Vancouver
    residents. There will be winners and losers, but everyone will be
    significantly impacted by the climate changes to come.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/26/517394115/fearing-climate-change-policy-under-trump-stem-group-is-working-to-get-scientist

    Fearing*Climate Change*Policy Under Trump, STEM Group Works To Get
    Scientists Elected
    <http://www.npr.org/2017/02/26/517394115/fearing-climate-change-policy-under-trump-stem-group-is-working-to-get-scientist>

NPR 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

Scientists across the country are planning to go to Washington - and
take office. Shaughnessy Naughton is the founder of 314 Action a non
profit that helps scientists run for office.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170223202052.htm

    Melting polar ice, rising sea levels not only*climate change
    *dangers
    <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170223202052.htm>

Science Daily 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    Researcher points to more Amazon rainforest droughts
    Climate change from political and ecological standpoints is a
    constant in the media and with good reason, suggests a new study,
    but proof of its impact is sometimes found in unlikely places...
    "Discussions of climate change usually are focused on changes
    occurring in polar and temperate zones, but tropical regions also
    are expected to experience changes in regional precipitation,"..
    The study reveals that climate change is impacting tropical regions
    with consequences not only for terrestrial ecosystems, but for
    aquatic ecosystem dynamics, biodiversity and fisheries as well," he
    said. "It shows that future fisheries management in tropical regions
    will need to account for how changes in precipitation and hydrology
    influence ecological factors affecting fish stocks."

    #35. @realDonaldTrump EPA Chief Scott Pruitt walked back his*climate
    change*skepticism. Will you? #100Days100Qs
    <https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-02-26/35-realdonaldtrump-epa-chief-scott-pruitt-walked-back-his-climate-change>

PRI 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

Is*climate change*real? Or is it a hoax? Pruitt himself has remarked in
the past that the role of humans in causing global warming is uncertain
at best.

http://www.agweb.com/blog/usfr-johns-world/man-caused-global-warming/

    (AgWeb blog) Man-Caused*Global Warming*
    <http://www.agweb.com/blog/usfr-johns-world/man-caused-global-warming/>

AgWeb (blog) 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    I've been in the field for three days. I am doing some vertical
    tillage on corn stalks. all you know killers who are offended by
    this, that's an argument we could have another day. But to say the
    least, this is Incredibly unusual: the ground is working right, the
    stalks are dry, and they're cutting up, which is what we're trying
    to get done and it's dry all the way down...
    This is unusual weather and we're not the only people are having
    unusual weather. If you've been paying attention, California 's long
    term epic drought to a near cataclysmic floods with dam's being
    threatened...
    Australia is struggling with having enough colors to show how hot it
    is in the interior, so they've finally had to add purple to their
    temperature map so that they could show how hot it was...
    You've got global see ice—counting both poles—is at a new minimum
    and trending lower. As a matter of fact there's just a lot of weird
    weather all over the globe and we've been talking about it. It turns
    out that all these things predicted by, and i think explained by,
    what climatologists said many years ago—I bought into a decade
    ago—and that its anthropogenic global warming, man-caused global
    warming. And this is the outcome of it...
    We're 68 degrees in central Illinois in February. It's kind of
    interesting, while we may be in the process of legislative repealing
    global warming, it really doesn't care whether we believe it or not,
    it's going to go ahead continue...
    As a matter of fact, that famous saying by Mark Twain, which he may
    or may not have said, that "everybody talks about the weather, but
    nobody does anything about it," it could be backwards. It could be
    that we've all been doing something about the weather and that's why
    we're talking about it.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/letters/2017/02/26/protesters-demand-real-action-climate-change/Xc6YngpmPdSMmFjoQKBkZL/story.html
Protesters demand real action on*climate change*
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/letters/2017/02/26/protesters-demand-real-action-climate-change/Xc6YngpmPdSMmFjoQKBkZL/story.html>
The Boston Globe 	 -‎21 hours ago‎

I was there because I am at a loss as to what else I must do to make our
elected officials see how badly I want them to look facts in the face:
global*climate change*is real, it can destroy us, and we must take
action to halt it - now. Currently, two*...*

https://durangoherald.com/articles/138906-syrup-producers-face-climate-change

    Syrup producers face*climate change*
    <https://durangoherald.com/articles/138906-syrup-producers-face-climate-change>

The Durango Herald 	 -‎Feb 25, 2017‎

    DURHAM, N.H. – New Hampshire's maple syrup producers say they are
    feeling the impact of climate change, as winters become warmer and
    frigid nights so critical to their business become fewer...
    Producers joined climate experts and Democratic U.S. Sen. Maggie
    Hassan of New Hampshire on Tuesday to talk about the state's
    changing climate and how it is affecting one of the state's most
    important industries...
    Some producers talked of seeing a steep drop in the amounts of sap
    they are getting, while others are dealing with another trend
    attributed to warmer temperatures in which the sap goes up to the
    top of the trees rather than down to taps. Others complained about a
    drop in the sugar content of their sap...
    "When I purchased the farm in 2000, I was getting 75 gallons of
    sap," said Ray LaRoche of LaRoche Farm in Durham. "With the
    environmental changes we've been seeing, it's down to 15 gallons..."..
    Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York,
    Pennsylvania and Vermont produced 3.78 million gallons of syrup in
    2016, according to a Northeast maple syrup production statistics
    service run by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Vermont is the
    clear leader, alone producing more than 47 percent of the country's
    maple syrup...
    The ideal temperatures for sap production are in the 20s at night
    and 30s and 40s during the day. When the climate is in the 50s and
    60s during the day and the nights stay warm, sap runs not to the
    taps, but to the tops of the trees, causing the tree to bloom. That
    can lead to a cloudy and off-tasting product....
    "The other day we had a nice 50-degree day which is kind of the new
    normal but still not normal," said Jeff Moore of Windswept farm.
    "Climate change is man-made, and that's the good news," said Cameron
    Wake, who leads a research program at the University of New
    Hampshire that's investigating regional climate change. "Because if
    we caused the problem, we can fix the problem."

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43291870&nid=148

    Utah students organize public hearing on climate change | KSL.com
    <https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43291870&nid=148>

KSL.com 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

Hundreds of Utah residents crowded a Capitol meeting room Thursday to
support an informal public hearing for a resolution recognizing a
consensus on climate ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/should-you-enjoy-the-warm-winters-of-climate-change/517512/

    Is It Okay to Enjoy the Warm Winters of Climate Change? - The
    Atlantic
    <https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/should-you-enjoy-the-warm-winters-of-climate-change/517512/>

The Atlantic 	 -‎Feb 23, 2017‎

The weather is nice, but it reminds us of the problems to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Oq5FryUS0
*(video) Ocean and Climate Interactions - LuAnne Thompson*

    Published on Oct 17, 2013
    Dr. LuAnne Thompson of the University of Washington's Program on
    Climate Change, describes interactions of global climate and oceans
    at Climate Change and the News: Science Seminars for Journalists in
    the Pacific Northwest seminar held in Seattle, Washington on
    September 6, 2013.
    "This a superb lecture.  Fast paced, but not too complex designed
    for an audience of smart journalists.    A few elegant metaphors
    really help with understanding. (hot water bottle and 2 dozen hair
    dryers!) Very grateful .. but I have to ask, if this is a classroom
    full of news professionals, why does so little of this make it into
    main stream media?    Journalists need more class time like this.
    worth forwarding to you favorite writer."

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2122115-the-eus-renewable-energy-policy-is-making-global-warming-worse/

    The EU's renewable energy policy is making*global warming*worse
    <https://www.newscientist.com/article/2122115-the-eus-renewable-energy-policy-is-making-global-warming-worse/>

New Scientist 	 -‎Feb 23, 2017‎

"It is providing unjustifiable incentives that have a negative impact on
the climate." The money would be better spent on wind and solar power
instead, he says.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/ocean-microbes-making-global-warming-worse-35484867.html

    Ocean microbes making*global warming*worse
    <http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/ocean-microbes-making-global-warming-worse-35484867.html>

Irish Independent 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

Microbes are generating a vast pool of marine methane that is
contributing to*global warming*, scientists have confirmed. Scientists
from Queen Mary, University of London, traced the source of methane in
the tropical Pacific Ocean...

/*This Day in Climate History  February 27, 2001
<https://books.google.com/books?id=ijQLBeDklxcC&pg=PA360&lpg=PA360&dq=paul+o%27neill+global+warming+memo+february+27&source=bl&ots=573aM1IF-O&sig=JrLs5DMwXJIc-AotPsqL-Z1VLHU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yKnAUrCKB_K-sQT36ILQDQ#v=onepage&q=paul%20o%27neill%20global%20warming%20memo%20february%2027&f=false>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
/February 27, 2001: Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill sends a memo to
President George W. Bush urging him to take strong action to combat
carbon pollution. The memo is ignored, and O'Neill would be forced out
as Treasury Secretary a year later.

    The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House, and the
    Education of Paul O'Neill
    Ron Suskind  Simon and Schuster, Sep 2, 2004 - History - 409 pages
    ...this is the explosive account of how the Bush administration
    makes policy on war, taxes, and politics -- its true agenda exposed
    by a member of the Bush cabinet.
    This vivid, unfolding narrative is like no other book that has been
    written about the Bush presidency. At its core are the candid
    assessments of former Secretary of the Treasury Paul O'Neill, the
    only member of Bush's cabinet to leave and speak frankly about how
    and why the administration has come to its core policies and
    decisions -- from cutting taxes for the rich to conducting
    preemptive war.
    O'Neill's account is supported by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
    Ron Suskind's interviews with numerous participants in the
    administration, by transcripts of meetings, and by voluminous
    documents. The result is a disclosure of breadth and depth
    unparalleled for an ongoing presidency. As readers are taken to the
    very epicenter of government, Suskind presents an astonishing
    picture of a president so carefully managed in his public posture
    that he is a mystery to most Americans. Now, he is revealed.

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .