[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 3, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Jan 3 10:04:51 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email. January 3, 2017/

    *Climate change*in 2016: the good, the bad, and the ugly
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jan/02/climate-change-in-2016-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly>

The Guardian 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    A firefighter watches as smoke from a*wildfire*swirls around a stand
    of trees near Morgan Hill, Calif., on Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2016.

*Desdemona Despair's 50 doomiest graphs of 2016
<http://www.desdemonadespair.net/2017/01/50-doomiest-graphs-of-2016.html>*

    31 December 2016 (Desdemona Despair) – The data don’t lie.
    Unfortunately, the antiscience forces of the incoming Trump
    administration clearly intend to defund vital government data
    collection programs for climate science and Earth observation. In
    the extreme case, they could wage a war on scientific expertise, by
    stripping empiricism out of America’s regulatory systems altogether...
    As 2016 showed, the need for the Earth sciences has never been
    greater....
    http://www.desdemonadespair.net/2017/01/50-doomiest-graphs-of-2016.html

    A trigger action from*sea-level rise*?
    <http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2017/01/a-trigger-action-from-sea-level-rise/>

RealClimate 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    Can a rising sea level can act as a boost for glaciers calving into
    the sea and trigger a surge of ice into the oceans? I finally got
    round to watch the documentary Chasing Ice over the Christmas and
    New Year’s break, and it made a big impression. I also was left with
    this question after watching it....
    There is a connection between the unfolding events in the polar
    regions and our lives. The sea level may rise in jumps and spurts as
    a consequence of events where ice masses surge into the oceans. A
    sea level rise will affect a number of megacities, low lying parts
    of Florida, and properties along the coast of Norway: Storm surges
    will cause larger inundation and more damage....There are some great
    resources for finding the best information on ice and*climate
    change*: The Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP) Snow
    Water Ice and Permafrost in the Arctic (SWIPA; AMAP, 2011) and the
    recent IPCC assessment report ...and it is possible that any such
    effect is very marginal compared to warm water intrusion. Or that
    the sea level rise is too small to have any noticeable effect. But I
    don’t know the answer yet....
    There are some fruitful ways to satisfy my curiosity, and the first
    thing should be to search reliable bodies of knowledge. I want to be
    able to trace the information back to their roots, which means that
    sources are based on transparency and can be replicated by others..
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2017/01/a-trigger-action-from-sea-level-rise/

    *Climate change*is going to be very bad for the global economy
    <http://www.businessinsider.com/climate-change-effects-global-economy-gdp-2016-12>

Business Insider 	 -‎20 hours ago‎

    Extreme heat, it turns out, is very bad for the economy. Crops fail.
    People work less, and are less productive when they do work. That's
    why an increase in extremely hot days is one of the more worrisome
    prospects of*climate change*. To predict just how ...

    TIME Magazine Editor Says '*Global Warming*Is an Established Fact'
    <https://pjmedia.com/video/time-magazine-editor-says-global-warming-is-an-established-fact/>

PJ Media 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    TIME magazine's Editor, Jeffrey Kluger, is not a fan of
    President-elect Trump's scientific policies. He says: "*Global
    warming*is an established fact. It's immutable, it's non-negotiable,
    it's not subject to politics.*Global warming*doesn't read tweets*...*

    Study: Coastal NC Officials Not Willing To Prepare For*Sea Level
    Rise*
    <http://wunc.org/post/study-coastal-nc-officials-not-willing-prepare-sea-level-rise>

WUNC 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Coastal Carolina officials may not be willing to prepare for*climate
    change*until it's too late, according to a new study out of N.C.

    Will Stricter*Climate Change*Rules in 2017 Propel or Choke the
    California Economy?
    <http://www.davisvanguard.org/2017/01/will-stricter-climate-change-rules-2017-propel-choke-california-economy/>

The People’s Vanguard of Davis (subscription) 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    He defended California's leadership in reducing*greenhouse gas*(GHG)
    emissions: “We have the laws, we have the tools of enforcement, and
    we have the political will…And whatever Washington thinks they're
    ... Environmental economist Charles Kolstad of*...*

(audio) Your action items for 2017: The Climate Minute Podcast
<http://massclimateaction.podbean.com/e/your-action-items-for-2017-the-climate-minute-podcast/>

      As 2017 dawns, we discuss concrete, specific actions that each of
    us can take to preserve, protect and defend the proud history of the
    United States of America. Listen in.
    http://massclimateaction.podbean.com/e/your-action-items-for-2017-the-climate-minute-podcast/

    *(satire) TheOnion: Climate*Experts Say Only Hope For Saving Planet
    Lies With People Who Save Napkins From Takeout Order
    <http://www.theonion.com/article/climate-experts-say-only-hope-saving-planet-lies-p-54952>

The Onion (satire) 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    GENEVA—Explaining that*global warming*trends were close to passing a
    dangerous and irreversible tipping point, a report released Monday
    by the Intergovernmental Panel on*Climate Change*stated that
    humanity's sole hope for saving the planet now lies ...

<http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_01/027356.php>
<http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_01/027356.php>*This
Day in Climate History  January 3, 2011
<http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_01/027356.php>
-  from D.R. Tucker*

    January 3, 2011: Steve Benen of the Washington Monthly notes that
    Republican presidential candidates who now try to deny the existence
    of human-caused climate change will have to figure out a way to
    rewrite history:

        "Yes, in Republican circles in 2011, those who don't reject the
        scientific consensus on the climate crisis will be rejected out
        of hand. Those who've been even somewhat reasonable on the issue
        in recent years should expect to grovel shamelessly -- a trait
        that's always attractive in presidential candidates. ..
        "The number of likely GOP candidates who've actually said out
        loud that the planet is warming and that human activity is
        responsible is, oddly enough, larger than the number of
        consistent climate deniers. Sarah Palin has said pollution
        contributes to global warming and 'we've got to do something
        about it.' Romney has said he believes the planet is warming and
        at least used to support cap-and-trade. Huckabee and Pawlenty
        have backed cap-and-trade -- which was, originally, a Republican
        idea, by the way -- in recent years. Even Newt Gingrich used to
        demand 'action to address climate change,' and participated
        briefly with Al Gore's Repower America campaign. ..
        "This wasn't a problem up until very recently. John McCain's
        2008 presidential platform not only acknowledged climate change,
        it included a call for a cap-and-trade plan -- and he won the
        nomination fairly easily. As recently as 2006, rank-and-file
        Republican voters, by and large, believed what the mainstream
        believed when it came to climate science: global warming is
        real, it's a problem, and it requires attention...
        "But that was before the GOP fell off the right-wing cliff.".

    http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_01/027356.php

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .