[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 4, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jan 4 07:39:00 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email. January 4, 2017/

*4 reasons not to completely despair about climate change in 2017*
<http://theweek.com/articles/668419/4-reasons-not-completely-despair-about-climate-change-2017>

    The Week Magazine-19 hours ago
    As the Trump administration takes shape, it has become crystal clear
    that the president-elect's climate change denialism will soon become...
    Not all of the news is this bleak, however. As the year ends, there
    are some pockets of optimism:
    *1. Other nations are not waiting for the U.S.*
    ***2. U.S. states and cities aren't giving up the fight either.*
    ***3. Public opinion is on the side of action.*
    ***4. Even the most fossil fuel-dependent entities are starting to
    plan for a less-carbon intensive future.*
    http://theweek.com/articles/668419/4-reasons-not-completely-despair-about-climate-change-2017

Greenland Ice Melt Could Push Atlantic Circulation to Collapse
<https://www.hakaimagazine.com/article-short/greenland-ice-melt-could-push-atlantic-circulation-collapse>

    Hakai Magazine  - New research gives a glimpse of the potential
    long-term consequences of anthropogenic warming.
    But anthropogenic climate change seems to have made the current
    weaken slightly... a shutdown of the circulation from further
    warming is considered unlikely. Yet a new study says that the
    unprecedented melting of Greenland's massive ice sheets, previously
    overlooked in most climate modeling, will result in the AMOC
    weakening, and maybe even collapsing, within the next 300 years...
    ... Sediment cores drilled from Greenland and Antarctica show that
    during the last ice age, the AMOC weakened suddenly and
    dramatically, nearly to the point of collapse, just before periods
    of wild climate change in the northern and southern hemispheres...
    I'm not sure if we really know all the consequences of such things."
    https://www.hakaimagazine.com/article-short/greenland-ice-melt-could-push-atlantic-circulation-collapse

Climate Change New Year Resolutions
<http://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2017/01/climate-change-new-years-resolutions/>

    Yale Climate Connections asked 13 influential and respected voices
    in the climate change research, policy, and communications fields to
    describe, in just 100 words or so, their climate change-related New
    Year's Resolutions:
    Wisely using our knowledge about climate and energy can give us a
    better economy as well as a cleaner environment. And, in addressing
    these twin challenges, we can achieve the long-sought goal of
    abundant, sustainable energy, providing everyone with the good that
    some of us have been obtaining from the energy stored in fossil
    fuels  - Richard Alley, PhD, ..
    I will redouble my efforts at climate mitigation within my family,
    my university, my city, and my state, even as I find new courage to
    defend climate science, and climate scientists, from attack.
    ...Kim Cobb, PhD,  ...
    I resolve to keep my reporting focused on what policies or
    practices, from local to global scales, can help or hinder
    humanity's journey toward a sustainable relationship with climate
    and energy. -Andrew Revkin,..
    http://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2017/01/climate-change-new-years-resolutions/

    Meet the Four Horsemen of the*Climate*Apocalypse
    <https://www.greenbiz.com/article/meet-four-horsemen-climate-apocalypse>

GreenBiz 	 -‎18 hours ago‎

    We hoped for*climate*moderates and instead we got Rex Tillerson at
    State, Scott Pruitt at EPA, Rick Perry at DOE and Tom Pyle
    (probably) in the White House: the Four Horsemen of
    the*Climate*Apocalypse. ... Certainly, I hope to see the best
    corporations*...We need, in effect, to be to dropping stones into
    the water — the more stones, the bigger the stones, the better — to
    create a massive ripple effect that spreads out in concentric
    circles, engulfing ultimately all of us, in a common effort to save
    ourselves by saving the
    planet....https://www.greenbiz.com/article/meet-four-horsemen-climate-apocalypse*

    Environmental journalists have a new beat: Coping
    with*climate*disaster
    <https://www.poynter.org/2017/environmental-journalists-have-a-new-beat-coping-with-climate-disaster/444025/>

Poynter (blog) 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    As Hurricane Sandy bore down on the Connecticut coast late October
    of 2012 and Gov. Dannel Malloy pled with residents to find high
    ground, reporter Neena Satija couldn't shake one thought: "We are
    clearly not prepared for this.

*Op-Ed What Rex Tillerson's Exxon Mobil track record tells us
<http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-wasserman-rex-tillerson-exxonmobil-20170103-story.html>*

    Tillerson's essential failure as chairman and CEO of Exxon Mobil has
    been that he viewed climate change as a threat to the company's
    bottom line rather than a signal to change course. When business
    environments and markets shift, companies must adapt or die.
    Tillerson must have understood the scientific consensus about
    climate change for decades; after all, Exxon Mobil is one of the
    most science-based corporations in the world. As revealed in the Los
    Angeles Times and InsideClimate News in 2015, internal Exxon
    documents dating back to the late 1970s confirmed that the burning
    of fossil fuels was destabilizing Earth's climate and would likely
    cause catastrophic damage to the world's ecosystems as well as
    immense human suffering...
    ...while Exxon was trying to confuse the public about the dangers of
    continuing to burn fossil fuels, it was also figuring out how to
    profit from its products' damage to the planet....
    ... Tillerson has never backed down from Exxon Mobil's position that
    it can pump and burn all its known fossil fuel reserves. ..
    http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-wasserman-rex-tillerson-exxonmobil-20170103-story.html

Climate change in 2016: the good, the bad, and the ugly
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jan/02/climate-change-in-2016-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly>

    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jan/02/climate-change-in-2016-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

    The*Climate Change*Debate: Black People Are Being Left Out and That
    Can Be Deadly
    <http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2017/01/the-climate-change-debate-black-people-are-being-left-out-and-that-can-be-deadly/>

The Root 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    When Bloomberg Media convened an invitation-only forum of notables
    on "The Future of*Climate Change*" during the first weekday of the
    Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia last summer, there
    was only one black person at the table.
    A lack of diversity in the green movement is leaving people of color
    out of the discussion, even though climate and environmental
    disasters disproportionately affect our communities.
    http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2017/01/the-climate-change-debate-black-people-are-being-left-out-and-that-can-be-deadly/
    <http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2017/01/the-climate-change-debate-black-people-are-being-left-out-and-that-can-be-deadly/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=theroot&utm_campaign=01032017>

*Early Bloom of Rhododendrons in Himalayas Linked to Climate Change,
Scientists Say
<http://www.ecowatch.com/himalayan-rhododendrons-climate-change-2175571724.html>*

    The rhododendron, one of the most popular and colorful small
    evergreen trees grown in gardens and parks across the world, is
    changing its flowering season from spring to winter in its native
    Himalayan habitat...
    The blooming of rhododendron, with their conspicuous displays of
    deep red or pale pink flowers, has always heralded the arrival of
    spring in the Himalayas, but this has undergone a dramatic change.
    Peak flowering season is now early February to mid-March, instead of
    the spring months from March to May.
    http://www.ecowatch.com/himalayan-rhododendrons-climate-change-2175571724.html

    Will*climate change*leave tropical birds hung out to dry?
    <http://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-tropical-birds-hung.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    In 1993 and 1998, there were distinct*El Niño*events, which in that
    area of Panama means a longer dry season with less rain.

    Where to Follow the*Climate*Action in 2017
    <https://www.climatecentral.org/news/where-to-follow-climate-action-2017-21008>

Climate Central 	 -‎20 hours ago‎

    In late 2015, a*climate*accord was struck by nearly 200 countries in
    Paris, potentially heralding a new era of international cooperation
    in reducing carbon pollution and slowing*global warming*. The pact
    was the result of extraordinary turnarounds by*...*

    Side effect of California's drought: More*climate*pollution
    <http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/2017/01/03/side-effect-californias-drought-more-climate-pollution/95875684/>

The Desert Sun 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    Droughts are already getting longer and more severe because of
    human-caused*climate change*in the American Southwest and around the
    world.

    A Witness to Iran's Intensifying Struggle with*Climate Change*
    <http://www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/a-witness-to-irans-intensifying-struggle-with-climate-change>

The New Yorker 	 -‎Jan 2, 2017‎

    And yet Salemi told me that many of his compatriots aren't really
    aware of*global warming*. "They know about droughts and the lack of
    water resources, but they don't know why these things ...
    fossil-fuel consumption is the main driver of*climate change**...*

    How the Trump Administration Could Gut NASA's Climate Change ...
    <http://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-could-gut-nasa-climate-change-research-538079>

Newsweek 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    This story originally appeared on Mother Jones and is reproduced
    here as part of the Climate Desk collaboration. The threat of
    climate change was thrust into ...

    *Climate Change*Is Raising Flood Risk in the Northern U.S.
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-change-is-raising-flood-risk-in-the-northern-u-s/>

Scientific American 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    Scientists who combined an on-the-ground look at stream gauge data
    and an above-the-ground view from satellites have determined that as
    the Earth warms, the threat of flooding is growing in the northern
    half of the United States.

    *Climate*Campaigners Announce New Major Mobilization to Resist Trump
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/01/03/climate-campaigners-announce-new-major-mobilization-resist-trump>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    "Their first job is to review Donald Trump's nominees for cabinet,"
    Meisel wrote in an email Tuesday, "and ours is to make sure they
    reject the slate of*climate*deniers he has picked for every
    major*climate*and energy related position in his*...*

    Is 'Imagine Boston 2030' climate ready? - The Boston Globe
    <https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2017/01/03/imagine-boston-climate-ready/Jfmr3NkcB5Ue2QvvGPq7yJ/story.html>

The Boston Globe 	 -‎15 hours ago‎

      TWO RECENTLY RELEASED City of Boston planning reports are on a
    direct collision course.
    The first one, "Climate Ready Boston," forecasts an alarming future.
    The coastlines of mid-19th-century and mid-21st-century Boston will
    be eerily similar delineations, making Back Bay, South Bay, the
    Seaport, and other areas that were filled during an era of intensive
    land-making once again the subjects of major urban reimagination.
    The second report, "Imagine Boston 2030," identifies five priority
    growth areas: Suffolk Downs, Sullivan Square, Beacon Yards, 100
    Acres/South Boston Waterfront, and Widett Circle. Astonishingly,
    four of the five growth areas in "Imagine Boston 2030" are shown to
    be extremely vulnerable to flooding by "Climate Ready Boston." How
    and where we decide to grow will have immeasurable economic and
    social consequences, so why would we intentionally grow in parts of
    the city that we know to be extremely vulnerable to flooding?

*This Day in Climate History  January 4, 1996
<http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/04/world/95-is-hottest-year-on-record-as-the-global-trend-resumes.html?pagewanted=print>
-  from D.R. Tucker*

    January 4, 1996: The New York Times reports:
    "The earth's average surface temperature climbed to a record high
    last year, according to preliminary figures, bolstering scientists'
    sense that the burning of fossil fuels is warming the climate.
    "Spells of cold, snow and ice like the ones this winter in the
    northeastern United States come and go in one region or another, as
    do periods of unusual warmth. But the net result globally made 1995
    the warmest year since records first were kept in 1856, says a
    provisional report issued by the British Meteorological Office and
    the University of East Anglia.
    "The average temperature was 58.72 degrees Fahrenheit, according to
    the British data, seven-hundredths of a degree higher than the
    previous record, established in 1990.
    "The British figures, based on land and sea measurements around the
    world, are one of two sets of long-term data by which surface
    temperature trends are being tracked.
    "The other, maintained by the NASA Goddard Institute for Space
    Studies in New York, shows the average 1995 temperature at 59.7
    degrees, slightly ahead of 1990 as the warmest year since
    record-keeping began in 1866. But the difference is within the
    margin of sampling error, and the two years essentially finished
    neck and neck...
    "The preliminary Goddard figures differ from the British ones
    because they are based on a somewhat different combination of
    observations around the world...
    "One year does not a trend make, but the British figures show the
    years 1991 through 1995 to be warmer than any similar five-year
    period, including the two half-decades of the 1980's, the warmest
    decade on record.
    "This is so even though a sun-reflecting haze cast aloft by the 1991
    eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines cooled the earth
    substantially for about two years. Despite the post-Pinatubo
    cooling, the Goddard data show the early 1990's to have been nearly
    as warm as the late 1980's, which Goddard says was the warmest
    half-decade on record.
    "Dr. James E. Hansen, the director of the Goddard center, predicted
    last year that a new global record would be reached before 2000, and
    yesterday he said he now expected that 'we will still get at least a
    couple more' by then...
    "Dr. Hansen has been one of only a few scientists to maintain
    steadfastly that a century-long global warming trend is being caused
    mostly by human influence, a belief he reiterated yesterday."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/04/world/95-is-hottest-year-on-record-as-the-global-trend-resumes.html?pagewanted=print

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .