[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 5, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jan 5 11:43:15 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email. January 5, 2017/

    Louisiana Faces Faster Levels of*Sea-Level Rise*Than Any Other Land
    on Earth
    <http://www.ecowatch.com/louisiana-sea-level-rise-2178631264.html>

EcoWatch 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

     From 2004 through 2008 alone, more than 300 square miles of
    marshland were lost to Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Gustav, and Ike,"
    the report states.

    Analysis Shows 'Dangerous' Pipeline Mega-Merger Threatens Climate
    and Consumers
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/01/04/analysis-shows-dangerous-pipeline-mega-merger-threatens-climate-and-consumers>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    New analysis says merger, which would create country's largest
    energy-infrastructure firm, would give pipeline giants unchecked power
    Shareholders for both companies approved the deal last
    month....between pipeline giants Enbridge and Spectra...
    ....the merger would give the companies control of 79 percent of the
    offshore Gulf of Mexico-Louisiana natural gas pipeline network; 92
    percent of the pipelines crossing the U.S.-Canada border; and 100
    percent of the pipelines in and out of Michigan....It would also
    enable Enbridge-Spectra to raise prices on consumers or increase
    costs for its rivals in those key regions at will...
    Both companies also have a history of safety issues, with a track
    record of leaks and spills that have impacted surrounding
    communities and environments. From 1996 to 2015, Enbridge
    unintentionally released more than 54,000 barrels of oils and
    natural liquids. Its leaks and other releases doubled during that
    time, from 54 to 117, the analysis states...
    A notorious 2010 incident saw one of its pipelines spill up to 1
    million gallons of crude in Michigan's Kalamazoo River and Talmadge
    Creek, contaminating the local environment. Nearby residents
    reported neurological, gastrointestinal, and respiratory problems,
    while Enbridge was ordered to pay $75 million in cleanup costs alone...
    "The merger would create a sprawling 38,000-mile oil and gas
    pipeline network—and with both firms carrying disturbing safety and
    service records, this deal would put the wellbeing of countless
    communities at risk," Hauter said. "The FTC must extend its review
    of this dangerous, anti-consumer merger, and ultimately reject it."

*(YouTube video) The Bible doesn’t talk about climate change, right?*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpjL_otLq6Y>

    Global Weirding with *Katharine Hayhoe*   Published on Jan 4, 2017
    Global Weirding is produced by KTTZ Texas Tech Public Media and
    distributed by PBS Digital Studios. New episodes every other
    Wednesday at 10 am central. Brought to you in part by: Bob and Linda
    Herscher, Freese and Nichols, Inc, and the Texas Tech Climate
    Science Center.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpjL_otLq6Y

    The Republicans Who Want Trump to Fight Climate Change - "The
    Eco-Right"
    <https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/01/green-republican/512111/>

The Atlantic 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    "We hope," says Bob Inglis, "that Donald Trump sees an opportunity
    to complete the sentence this way: Richard Nixon went to China, Bill
    Clinton signed welfare reform, and Donald Trump did climate change."..
    ...Inglis—a former Congressman from South Carolina—has emerged as a
    spokesperson of sorts for "the eco-right," a suite of think tanks,
    activists and politicos making the case for a free-market approach
    to environmentalism, grounded in conservative values. He now serves
    as the Executive Director of RepublicEn, a small advocacy outfit of
    self-described "energy optimists," keen to dispel rumors that the
    GOP is the province of climate denialism....
    The holy grail of Inglis’s brand of eco-conservatism is a
    "revenue-neutral, border-adjustable" carbon tax. This kind of
    pricing mechanism offers a more elegant solution to the eco-right
    than the patchwork of regulations involved in Obama’s landmark
    climate rule, wherein each state arrives at its own plan....
    ... 54 percent of Republicans now believe that the climate is
    changing and that humankind has played a hand in it. By contrast,
    just 14 of the 247 Republicans in the House of Representatives
    signed on to the Gibson Resolution, stating the urgency of climate
    change and the body’s commitment to addressing it.
    ... in fact, climate change was this year’s least important issue,
    according to Gallup...
      ...of the president-elect. "I would not be totally surprised if he
    were to give some speech announcing that [climate change] was a
    major crisis, announcing a new Manhattan Project to deal with it.
    And I’d be equally unsurprised if he reiterated his comment that
    it’s a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese."...
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/01/green-republican/512111/

    Millennials Sit-in at Governor's Office: "Trump's
    a*Climate*Emergency, Cuomo Show Some Urgency"
    <http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2017/01/04/millennials-sit-governors-office-trumps-climate-emergency-cuomo-show-some>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    ALBANY, N.Y. - Today, Dozens of young New Yorkers risk arrest,
    urging the Governor to reject Trump’s climate denial ..
    "Climate change is a civilizational crisis. Yet our federal
    government is now in the hands of oil magnates and Wall Street
    billionaires who profit at the expense of our planet, who are
    foreclosing on our futures right in front of our eyes," said Jamie
    Tyberg, 24-year-old climate activist from NYC. "We’re wielding our
    moral authority as young people to demand Governor Cuomo do the
    right thing as a father, as a New Yorker, and as the Governor of a
    state with a carbon footprint larger than most nations. If now is
    not the time for him to be the leader we need, what would it take?"...
    "Donald Trump is a climate emergency, so we’re calling on Governor
    Cuomo to show some urgency," said Samantha Nephew, a 27-year-old
    member of the Seneca Nation. "New York needs to invest in the
    communities most vulnerable to climate change and commit to an
    economy-wide transition to 100% renewable energy. We need to shift
    how we interact in our relationship with the elements before there's
    nothing left to extract."...

    House Science Committee's Twitter Account Is Now Just
    Another*Climate Science*Denial Troll
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/01/04/house-science-committee-s-twitter-account-now-just-another-climate-science-denial-troll>

DeSmog (blog) 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    ... there’s a new addition to the climate science denial trollerati
    — the Twitter account of theUnited States House of Representatives
    Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
    <https://science.house.gov/>....The @HouseScience Twitter handle has
    been pushing out partisan talking points and attacking "climate
    alarmists" in a series of posts in recent months. ... the
    committeeTweeted a link to an article on the hyper-partisan
    conservative Breitbart website
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/2016/12/01/gop-science-committee-sends-twitter-followers-breitbart-climate-misinformation>written
    by climate science denial activistJames Delingpole
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/james-delingpole>.
    Delingpole’s polemic was itself based on an article in theUK’s
    Sunday Mail newspaper, written by David Rose, thatseven climate
    scientists rated "very low" on Climate Feedback’s credibility scale
    <http://climatefeedback.org/evaluation/stunning-new-data-indicates-el-nino-drove-record-highs-global-temperatures-david-rose-daily-mail/>.
    ..in its latest missive, the @HouseScienceTwitter handle has claimed
    <https://twitter.com/HouseScience/status/816356348443193344>the
    global satellite temperature data "tells a story climate alarmists
    don’t want to hear."
    Pointing to a blog post by contrarian scientist and creationist Dr.
    Roy Spencer, @HouseScience said the data "doesn’t fit their
    climate narrative."
    This was peculiar because the chart the committee wants its
    followers to look at shows that the planet has warmed since
    satellites started collecting data in the late 1970s.
    The data, compiled by contrarian scientistsSpencer
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/roy-spencer>andDr. John Christy
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/john-christy>at the University of
    Alabama, Huntsville, tend to be a favorite of climate science
    deniers because they suggest less warming than other data sets.
    ... the data still shows that all but one of the ten hottest years
    on the 38-year-long satellite record have occurred since 2002....
    Climate scientist Dr. Victor Venema of the University of Bonn in
    Germanyresponded to the committee’s Tweet
    <https://twitter.com/VariabilityBlog/status/816367813946392576>with
    a chart showing how the satellite data it uses shows much less
    warming than other sets of data....Climate scientists, including
    those who manage the data that Spencer and Christy use, have
    explained how land-based, rather than atmospheric, temperatures are
    more relevant for climate change discussions. Temperatures taken on
    land go through fewer analytical adjustments, are more direct than
    the proxy measurements taken by satellites, and are taken on the
    ground where humans live.
    Pointing to just one set of data to back your argument — while
    ignoring all the other evidence that shows you’re wrong — is
    calledcherry picking
    <https://www.skepticalscience.com/graphics.php?g=16>, and the
    @HouseScience tweet was a classic example.
    The committee has not posted links to the many lines of evidence
    that contradict its points, such as the warming oceans, temperatures
    taken on land, melting ice sheets, melting glaciers, heat records,
    or the rising sea levels...TheGOP-led committee is chaired by Texas
    RepublicanLamar Smith <https://www.desmogblog.com/lamar-smith>— a
    climate science denier who has built a reputation for attacking
    government scientists while defending oil giantExxonMobil’s funding
    of attacks on climate science
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/exxonmobil-funding-climate-science-denial>.
    The Twitter account’s posts have not gone unnoticed, with hundreds
    describing the Tweets as shameful, embarrassing, anti-science,
    appalling, shocking, irresponsible, and misleading.
    And those are just the nice comments.
    https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/01/04/house-science-committee-s-twitter-account-now-just-another-climate-science-denial-troll
    (YouTube Video) How Reliable are Satellite Temperatures? <v>
    We often hear from climate deniers that satellite measurements of
    global temperature are "the best data we have"?
    But is that true?
    Here, interviews with leading climate scientists, including Carl
    Mears, who keeps the dataset that he says Senator Ted Cruz, and
    others, are misusing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVMsYXzmUYk

    New study confirms NOAA finding of faster*global warming*
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jan/04/new-study-confirms-noaa-finding-of-faster-global-warming>

The Guardian 	 -‎14 minutes ago‎

    This paper is another reminder why it is so important to invest in
    the temperature measurements that are needed to create
    long-term*climate*records. We really need uninterrupted measurements
    that span many years/decades if we want to truly understand*...
    *These and many other questions make measuring global warming
    challenge. Different groups of scientists make different decisions
    so that depending on the institution, they will get a slightly
    different temperature result...
    But this diversity is also a good thing. It turns out that it
    doesn’t matter whose results you use – NASA, NOAA, The Hadley Centre
    in the UK, the Japanese Meteorological Agency, or the Berkeley Earth
    group – they all report a warming world. However, the rates are
    slightly different. So, one persistent question is, which group is
    most accurate? Whose methods are best?*
    *...Finally, and for those who read my posts regularly,*I am
    sounding like a broken record. Global warming is happening, it never
    stopped, it never paused, and the models have gotten it right.**...**
    **It reminds me of a debate between creationists and scientists. One
    scientist whose name I cannot remember stated, "we have the fossil
    record, we win." Well, a similar quote works here. "We have the
    data, we win." Now let’s move on to solving the problem*.*- Jo*hn
    Abraham*
    *
    *(video) Recent Ocean Warming has been Underestimated
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnyX32nkYBs>*
    In a paper published in Science Advances, we used data from buoys,
    satellites, and Argo floats to construct separate instrumentally
    homogenous sea surface temperature records of the past two decades.
    We compared them to the old NOAA ERSSTv3b record, the new ERSSTv4
    record, the Hadley Centre’s HadSST3 record, and the Japanese
    COBE-SST record. We found a strong and significant cool bias in the
    old NOAA record, and a more modest (but still significant) cool bias
    in the Hadley and Japanese records compared to buoy, satellite, and
    Argo float data. The new NOAA record agrees quite well with these
    instrumentally homogenous records. This suggests that the new NOAA
    record is likely the most accurate sea surface temperature record in
    recent years, and should help resolve some of the criticism that
    accompanied the original NOAA study.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnyX32nkYBs
    *New Study Shows (Again): Deniers Wrong, NOAA Scientists Right
    <https://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/04/new-study-shows-again-deniers-wrong-noaa-scientists-right/>*
    Peter Sinclair videos - Once again, Science FTW. I interviewed UC
    Berkeley’s Zeke Hausfather in December, and one of the things we
    discussed was his latest research study, now public....I described
    the Anti-Science Committee’s witch hunt against NOAA and NASA a few
    months ago, in this must-see vid....My video from last year explains
    in more detail what the new study proved.
    https://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/04/new-study-shows-again-deniers-wrong-noaa-scientists-right/

    Miami Beach: property market braced for change in*climate*
    <https://www.ft.com/content/de73b604-c12b-11e6-81c2-f57d90f6741a>

Financial Times 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    Rising sea levels are a concern but it is new transparency rules
    that are having the biggest impact on sales
    Climate change or not, the daily high-water marker at Virginia Key
    in Miami has been rising by an average of almost an inch a year for
    the past five years, nearly 10 times the rate of the global average,
    although that high rate is not expected to continue. Even so,
    according to a report by the National Wildlife Federation, Greater
    Miami — with all those pricey condo buildings on Miami Beach —
    stands to lose $3.5tn in assets by 2070 if damage from rising tides
    cannot be mitigated.

    Did Exxon launch a*climate science*'disinformation campaign'?
    <http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-exxon-gansler-20170104-story.html>

Baltimore Sun 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    Many Americans, including many influential lawmakers, still don't
    believe in*global warming*. As a result, the United States has
    delayed taking meaningful action to address*climate change*, and
    Exxon has enjoyed decades of record-breaking profits ...Almost four
    decades ago, Exxon knew that the build-up of carbon dioxide in the
    atmosphere could have catastrophic effects on the world's
    climate....Yet, in the late 1980s, instead of giving an honest
    assessment of its views on climate change — or even remaining silent
    on the topic — the company apparently embarked on what appears to be
    a multi-million dollar disinformation campaign to raise doubts about
    global warming. ...
    The costs of Exxon's misdirection, if that's what it indeed was,
    could be staggering. More than half of all industrial carbon dioxide
    emissions have been released into the atmosphere since 1988. Delay
    has made the problem of climate change a lot harder to solve now
    than it was then. States owe it to their residents to hold Exxon
    accountable for the costs of any misrepresentations. Fighting fraud
    should not be a partisan issue...
    While the federal government seems unlikely to investigate Exxon's
    actions any time soon, the states should not let Exxon slide. The
    attorney general of every state is charged with both preventing
    consumer fraud and protecting consumer safety. Both responsibilities
    are in play here...
    First, if the company knowingly made false statements to the public
    about climate change in order to sell its products, fossil fuels,
    that conduct was potentially fraudulent. Second, Exxon's products
    imperil consumer safety when produced in large quantities because
    global warming will cause widespread health problems...
    If attorneys general don't take action, their states may be left
    picking up the tab. Because of climate change, state governments
    will have to field teams of first responders to assist victims of
    bigger floods and more intense wildfires. State-owned infrastructure
    will also be put at risk. Ports must be defended against rising sea
    levels, and wastewater treatment plants must be redesigned to handle
    bigger storms. These costs have only gotten bigger with time. If
    Exxon perpetuated a fraud in order to stall action on climate change
    so that it could continue selling a potentially dangerous product,
    it should be liable for its share of the costs of the delay...Every
    state is affected by this potential fraud, so every state attorney
    general should take a seat at the table by joining the
    investigations into Exxon.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-exxon-gansler-20170104-story.html

    The fire through the smoke: Working for transparency
    in*climate*projections
    <http://phys.org/news/2017-01-transparency-climate.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    For that reason, a group of preeminent*climate*scientists have
    evaluated the consequences of the most recent projections from the
    world's foremost*climate-science*organization, the Intergovernmental
    Panel on*Climate Change*(IPCC), as to how the impact*...*

    Bright Ideas 2017: Publicize and fund*climate*research
    <http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/environment/bright-ideas-publicize-and-fund-climate-research/article_668756ef-82da-5617-8a04-5d188bfa30ba.html>

Madison.com 	 -‎16 hours ago‎

    We will lose our ability to identify large ice sheets melting,
    events that could rapidly accelerate*sea level rise*. We will lose
    the human expertise that was critical to identifying the lead in
    Flint's drinking water.

    Fossil leaves suggest*global warming*will be harder to fight than
    scientists thought
    <http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/fossil-leaves-suggest-global-warming-will-be-harder-fight-scientists-thought>

Science Magazine 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    ... to go up and up, driving*global warming*. But it won't be the
    first time that CO2 has surged. In Earth's ancient atmosphere,
    scientists see the faint outlines of a CO2 roller coaster, climbing
    and dipping across deep time in repeated bouts of*...*

*The overwhelming whiteness of US environmentalism is hobbling the fight
against climate change
<https://qz.com/877447/the-overwhelming-whiteness-of-the-us-environmentalist-movement-is-hobbling-the-fight-against-climate-change/>*

    Immediate and significant actions must be taken to reach these
    communities of color who reflect the new socio-political landscape
    of the United States. Given that people of color are largely
    supportive of ameliorative actions to address climate change, and
    that they are potentially less swayed by political ideologies
    regarding climate change, climate messages should prioritize people
    of color as essential allies in the climate-change mitigation movement.
    https://qz.com/877447/the-overwhelming-whiteness-of-the-us-environmentalist-movement-is-hobbling-the-fight-against-climate-change/

*Computer models find ancient solutions to modern problems
<https://news.wsu.edu/2016/12/20/computer-models-find-ancient-solutions-modern-problems/>*

      Washington State University archaeologists are at the helm of new
    research using sophisticated computer technology to learn how past
    societies responded to climate change...
    ... demonstrates how drought, hunting and habitat competition among
    growing populations in Egypt led to the extinction of many
    large-bodied mammals around 3,000 B.C. In addition, d’Alpoim Guedes
    and Bocinsky, an adjunct faculty member in anthropology, are
    investigating how settlement patterns in Tibet are affecting erosion....
    "Our models showed Hopi corn could grow well in the Ethiopian
    highlands where one of their staple foods, the Ethiopian banana, has
    been afflicted by emerging pests, disease and blasts of intense
    heat," Bocinsky said. "Cultivating Hopi corn and other traditional,
    drought-resistant crops could become crucial for human survival in
    other places impacted by climate change."
    https://news.wsu.edu/2016/12/20/computer-models-find-ancient-solutions-modern-problems/
    *Village Ecodynamics Project
    <https://www.crowcanyon.org/index.php/village-ecodynamics-projecthttps://www.crowcanyon.org/index.php/village-ecodynamics-project>*
    The Village Ecodynamics Project (VEP) is a multidisciplinary and
    multi-institutional collaboration among scientists and other
    researchers studying the long-term (A.D. 600–1760) interaction
    between Pueblo Indians and their environment. Funded by National
    Science Foundation (NSF) grants awarded to Washington State
    University, the project employs an innovative approach to
    manipulating large, diverse data sets to "predict" the past.
    https://www.crowcanyon.org/index.php/village-ecodynamics-project

*As Seas Rise, Miami Development Continues Unabated
<https://skepticalscience.com/seas-rise-miami-development-continues.html>*

    Posted on 3 January 2017 by greenman3610
    "Miami, as we know it today, is not going to exist."...
    That’s because the ocean is rising, and it will be hard to keep the
    water out. Some Miami neighborhoods already flood during high tides.
    And yet, "the building here is going on at a record rate …
    high-rises all along the beach. Basically, nothing has changed,"
    Goodell says in this month’s "This Is Not Cool" video by independent
    videographer Peter Sinclair.
    Describing how extensive parts of South Florida are "built on a big
    porous sponge," he says levees cannot mitigate the problem. "It’s
    just a big flat limestone pancake."
    *(video) The Perfect Tide: Sea Level and the Future of South
    Florida* <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRGuQKv4gPU>
    YaleClimateConnections https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRGuQKv4gPU

    *Climate Change*Is Raising Flood Risk in the Northern U.S.
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-change-is-raising-flood-risk-in-the-northern-u-s/>

Scientific American 	 -‎Jan 3, 2017‎

    Shifting rainfall patterns and the amount of water in the ground are
    likely causes for the heightened risk...
    Scientists who combined an on-the-ground look at stream gauge data
    and an above-the-ground view from satellites have determined that as
    the Earth warms, the threat of flooding is growing in the northern
    half of the United States....
    Climate scientists know that the intensity of extreme precipitation
    events is on the rise because there’s more water vapor in the
    atmosphere caused by higher global and sea temperatures. With rising
    global temperatures, the 2014 National Climate Assessment predicts
    that many communities will see more frequent extreme precipitation
    events like the one that hit Baton Rouge, La., last year....
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-change-is-raising-flood-risk-in-the-northern-u-s/

*
****10 Years of Kicking Denier Butt: Climate Crocks Year in Review
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/04/10-years-of-kicking-denier-butt-climate-crocks-year-in-review/>*

    Just a quick look back on 2016’s work educating and communicating on
    global climate change. This year marks a decade that I’ve been
    bringing the fight to professional Climate Deniers and purveyors of
    Fake News.
    I wanted to share this because so many readers and viewers helped
    out to make it happen this year with tax-deductible donations to
    Dark Snow Project – thanks to all who helped out....The year started
    out with a bang, when my collection of interviews on satellite
    temperature measurements (above) was immediately attacked by a
    (then) little known Neo-nazi website,
    Breitbart....https://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/04/10-years-of-kicking-denier-butt-climate-crocks-year-in-review/

*This Day in Climate History  January
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20998-2004Dec22.html> -
from D.R. Tucker*

    January 5, 2000: During a Democratic Presidential debate with former
    New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley, Vice President Al Gore notes that
    as a Congressman, "...I decided to take on the issue of global
    warming and make it a national issue, when everybody was saying 'You
    know, you're going to run a lot of risk there. People are going to
    think that that's kind of off the edge there.' Well, now more and
    more people say, 'Yes, it is real,' and the next president has to be
    willing to take it on."
    http://c-spanvideo.org/program/DemocraticCandidatesDebate10
    (29:28-29-50)

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .