[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 6, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jan 6 09:59:48 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email.  January 6, 2017/

    World heat shatters records in 2016 in new sign of*global warming*
    <http://www.euronews.com/2017/01/05/world-heat-shatters-records-in-2016-in-new-sign-of-global-warming>

euronews 	 -‎51 minutes ago‎

    Last year was the hottest on record by a wide margin, with
    temperatures creeping close to a ceiling set by almost 200 nations
    for limiting global warming, the European Union’s Copernicus Climate
    Change Service said on Thursday...
    The data are the first of the New Year to confirm many projections
    that 2016 will exceed 2015 as the warmest since reliable records
    began in the 19th century, it said in a report...
    The Arctic was the region showing the sharpest rise in temperatures,
    while many other areas of the globe, including parts of Africa and
    Asia, also suffered unusual heat, it said...
    A few parts of South America and Antarctica were cooler than normal...
    Global surface temperatures in 2016 averaged 14.8 degrees Celsius
    (58.64°F), or 1.3C (2.3F) higher than estimated before the
    Industrial Revolution ushered in wide use of fossil fuels, the EU
    body said....
    http://www.euronews.com/2017/01/05/world-heat-shatters-records-in-2016-in-new-sign-of-global-warming.

    Alaska Faces Up to $5.5 Billion in*Climate*Damage by 2100
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/alaska-faces-up-to-5-5-billion-in-climate-damage-by-2100/>

Scientific American 	 -‎Jan 4, 2017‎

    *Spending money to adapt will likely be a good investment in Alaska
    and other states facing sea-level rise and shifting precipitation
    patterns..Climate change*will cause billions of dollars in damage to
    roads, buildings, airports, railroads and pipeline infrastructure in
    Alaska, particularly if*greenhouse gas*emissions continue unabated,
    a new study found. The findings suggest it would be*...Proactive
    investment in adaptation could significantly reduce the financial
    impacts. That includes investing in road drainage systems to reduce
    flooding impacts from increased precipitation, the scientists
    found.***https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/alaska-faces-up-to-5-5-billion-in-climate-damage-by-2100/*
    *

    (audio) How does an agriculture giant like Monsanto respond
    to*climate change*?
    <http://www.marketplace.org/2017/01/05/world/how-does-agriculture-giant-monsanto-respond-climate-change>

Marketplace.org 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Monsanto will report earnings today. One of the biggest factors for
    the agricultural giant's business is how it responds to*climate
    change*. The company has invested in things like weather analysis
    and biotech to help farmers grow crops in the face of*changing
    weather patterns. But climate change is an issue for Monsanto,
    too...http://www.marketplace.org/2017/01/05/world/how-does-agriculture-giant-monsanto-respond-climate-change*

    Falcons, Drones, Data: A Winery Battles*Climate Change*
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/business/california-wine-climate-change.html>

New York Times 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    Harvested grapes. Jackson Family Wines is one of the largest
    family-owned winemakers in the country. Credit Jason Henry for The
    New York Times...
    Climate change is forcing the Jacksons to confront questions both
    practical and existential: Can you make fine wine with less water?
    Will good grapes still grow here in 20 years? What will become of an
    industry central to California’s identity, one that says it
    contributes $114 billion a year to the nation’s economy?...
    But the challenges here are hardly theoretical. Already, climate
    change is threatening the world’s coffee supply. Several reports
    suggest that rising temperatures around the globe could imperil
    major winemaking regions​ in the coming decades. One study suggested
    that by 2050, many regions in Europe, including much of Italy and
    swaths of Southern France, could become unsuitable for wine grapes.
    The same study suggested that California production could fall by 70
    percent by the century’s midpoint...
    Already, winemakers in the region are noticing distinct changes that
    signal a hotter, drier future....
    http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/business/california-wine-climate-change.html

    The dirt on tourism and*climate change*
    <https://www.greenbiz.com/article/tourism-and-climate-complicated-relationship>

GreenBiz 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    More than many other industries, tourism relies on a
    stable*climate*, whether attracting customers to lavish lakes,
    bountiful beaches or majestic mountains.

    In bid for*climate*bill, Lafayette leaders eye civil disobedience
    <http://www.dailycamera.com/lafayette-news/ci_30706432/bid-climate-bill-lafayette-leaders-eye-civil-disobedience>

Boulder Daily Camera 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    *Law would shield residents from arrest if they use direct action to
    stop fracking*
    Drafted by the anti-fracking group East Boulder County United, the
    "*Climate*Bill of Rights and Protections" ordinance marks the latest
    call by Lafayette to denounce fracking regulations in favor of local
    self-governance...
    "We have been left with no alternative," Merrily Mazza,
    councilwoman, said. "We gave up hope that the state and federal
    environmental agencies would protect us, or that the courts would
    put the rights of real people over the rights of the corporate person...
    "We gave up hope that those who actually govern care about what
    happens to the people and the natural environment of our community,"
    she added...
    The provision to legalize non-violent direct action protests — such
    acts can include sit-ins, strikes, workplace occupations or
    blockades — would target drilling activity and allow protestors
    unprecedented immunity from arrest or detainment...
    A similar bill passed last year in Grant Township, Penn., the
    country's first and only case, offers Lafayette leaders the sole
    successful legal precedent..."A lot of the civil rights victories in
    our country were really unprecedented," Gustavo Reyna, Lafayette
    mayor pro-tem said. "I realize this is unprecedented. The question
    of whether we have an unalienable right to air, water and health, is
    perhaps an unprecedented and unchallenged concept, but the principle
    is there...
    "At some point, we the people have to say this is unjust and we
    won't stand for it any longer,".
    http://www.dailycamera.com/lafayette-news/ci_30706432/bid-climate-bill-lafayette-leaders-eye-civil-disobedience

    *Climate change*has mixed effects on migratory geese
    <http://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-effects-migratory-geese.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    "We tend to think of*climate change*as being all one way, but here
    we've got a population being affected in conflicting ways," said Dr
    Ian Cleasby, of the Centre for Ecology and Conservation on the
    University of Exeter's Penryn Campus in Cornwall.

    Federal*Climate*Investigation of Exxon Likely to Fizzle Under Trump
    <https://insideclimatenews.org/news/04012017/exxon-climate-investigation-jeff-sessions-attorney-general-trump>

InsideClimate News 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    Sen. Jeff Sessions, Donald Trump's choice as attorney general, has
    been a vocal opponent of investigating the oil giant for climate fraud.
    The two Democrats asked the attorney general to determine whether
    Exxon had violated federal law by "organizing a sustained deception
    campaign disputing*climate science*" and "failing to disclose
    truthful information" about*climate change*. ...Exxon scientists
    were warning of potentially catastrophic effects of a buildup of
    atmospheric carbon dioxide from fossil fuels as early as 1977. ...a
    signal Exxon will get a free pass at the federal level...
    "That means it will be left to the state attorneys general to pick
    up the cudgel if there is going to be any holding Exxon
    accountable," he said...
    But given Exxon's resources, its powerful allies in Congress and the
    ferocity it has shown in attacking the investigations being
    undertaken by New York and Massachusetts, other attorneys general
    may be reluctant to engage in litigation...."I don't think you can
    look to the SEC—given what will be its be makeup—to do very much in
    the way of an Exxon investigation," he
    said...https://insideclimatenews.org/news/04012017/exxon-climate-investigation-jeff-sessions-attorney-general-trump

    The dirt on tourism and*climate change*
    <https://www.greenbiz.com/article/tourism-and-climate-complicated-relationship>

GreenBiz 	 -‎17 hours ago‎

    More than many other industries, tourism relies on a
    stable*climate*, whether attracting customers to lavish lakes,
    bountiful beaches or majestic mountains....Even if the world follows
    through on its landmark commitments outlined in the Paris Agreement,
    we’ve already reached a point of no return. We still may avoid the
    worst impacts if we get our act together, but significant damage
    already has been done enough to forecast unpredictable weather into
    the foreseeable future....It’s going to be difficult to take that
    vacation to Bali if it’s been swallowed up by the sea. Many of these
    at-risk islands also happen to be developing states, which causes
    them to be overlooked during climate discussions. These small island
    developing states, which include places such as Fiji, the
    Philippines and the Bahamas, face an existential crisis from climate
    change far more important than your vacation....if the only
    sustainable vacation is a "staycation." But eliminating travel could
    do more damage in the long run by stopping the cash flow into
    economically disadvantaged regions including Latin America, the
    Caribbean and Southeast Asia. Many mega-resorts in such areas employ
    locals, but many dollars spent there fail to reach local
    communities....https://www.greenbiz.com/article/tourism-and-climate-complicated-relationship

*This Day in Climate History  January 6th 2001, 2009
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20998-2004Dec22.html> -
from D.R. Tucker*

    January 6, 2001: In a joint session of Congress presided over by
    Vice President (and, thus, President of the Senate) Al Gore, George
    W. Bush is certified as the winner of the 2000 Presidential
    election.  The New York Times notes: "Federal law requires a member
    of both the House and the Senate to question a state's electoral
    votes in writing for a formal objection to be considered. But the
    House members [who objected to the certification] had no Senate
    support. So Mr. Gore, who was presiding in his role as Senate
    president, slammed down the gavel to silence them and rule their
    objections and parliamentary maneuvers out of order."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6wl_86qnsI
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/07/us/over-some-objections-congress-certifies-electoral-vote.html

    January 6, 2009: Days before leaving office, a rather defensive
    President George W. Bush insists that his administration has
    "...taken aggressive steps to make America's energy supply cleaner
    and more secure -- and confronted the challenge of global climate
    change."
    http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2009/01/20090106-4.html
    http://youtu.be/BXcgg98tW4M

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .