[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 11, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jan 11 10:13:06 EST 2017

/"//The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email.  January 11, 2017/

    Businesses and investors renew plea to Trump: don't ignore*climate
    change*
    <https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jan/10/donald-trump-climate-change-letter-businesses-investors>

The Guardian 	 -‎33 minutes ago‎

    More than 600 businesses and investors....companies including
    Campbell Soup and Johnson & Johnson, ...signed and released a letter
    on Tuesday urging president-elect Donald Trump to continue policies
    that combat*global warming*, such as the Clean Power Plan created by
    the Obama administration to cut emissions from ...evidence continues
    to emerge that points to the substantial business risks posed by
    rising global temperatures, such as dwindling supplies of raw
    materials and water....
    Extreme heat, for example, is bad for the economy, causing crop
    failure and reduced worker productivity, according to a new study
    from Stanford University and the University of California at
    Berkeley....
    The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board, a nonprofit group
    that sets standards for corporate sustainability disclosures to
    investors and is chaired by former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg,
    estimates that significant climate risks – such as severe weather
    events – exist for most of the companies it tracks, which represent
    $27.5tn, or 93%, of US stocks as measured by market value...
    There is also evidence that companies that embrace sustainability
    actually perform better financially than those that do not. A 2014
    study ... corporations that actively manage and plan for climate
    change achieved an 18% higher return on investment than companies
    that weren’t planning for climate change, and 67% higher than
    companies that refused to disclose their emissions.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jan/10/donald-trump-climate-change-letter-businesses-investors

    Ticking Carbon Clock Warns We Have One Year to Avert
    *Climate*Catastrophe
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/01/10/ticking-carbon-clock-warns-we-have-one-year-avert-climate-catastrophe>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    That's according to the ticking carbon budget clock created by the
    Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and*Climate
    Change*(MCC). The clock's countdown now shows that only one year is
    left in the world's carbon budget before the planet heats ...just
    one year until global temperatures surpass 1.5ºC of warming..... the
    clock shows that time is running out: it is not enough to act
    sometime in the future, but it is necessary to implement more
    ambitious climate policies already in the very short-term," ...
    "Take all of the most difficult features of individual pathways to
    2ºC—like fast and ambitious climate action in all countries of the
    world, the full availability of all required emissions reduction and
    carbon removal technologies, as well as aggressive energy demand
    reductions across the globe—the feasibility of which were so
    heatedly debated prior to Paris," Löhe said. "This gives you an idea
    of the challenge associated with the more ambitious 1.5°C goal."

*It's Been 25 Years Since World's Prominent Scientists Released 'Warning
to Humanity
<https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/01/05/it-s-been-25-years-world-s-prominent-scientists-released-warning-humanity>**'*

    "World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity
    <http://www.ucsusa.org/about/1992-world-scientists.html#.WEcTfdUrK70>."
    Fundamental changes are urgent if we are to avoid the collision our
    present course will bring about.
    Five inextricably linked areas must be addressed simultaneously:
    We must bring environmentally damaging activities under control to
    restore and protect the integrity of the earth's systems we depend on.
    We must, for example, move away from fossil fuels to more benign,
    inexhaustible energy sources to cut greenhouse gas emissions and the
    pollution of our air and water. Priority must be given to the
    development of energy sources matched to Third World needs --
    small-scale and relatively easy to implement.
    We must halt deforestation, injury to and loss of agricultural land,
    and the loss of terrestrial and marine plant and animal species.
    We must manage resources crucial to human welfare more effectively.
    We must give high priority to efficient use of energy, water, and
    other materials, including expansion of conservation and recycling.
    We must stabilize population.
    This will be possible only if all nations recognize that it requires
    improved social and economic conditions, and the adoption of
    effective, voluntary family planning.
    We must reduce and eventually eliminate poverty.
    We must ensure sexual equality, and guarantee women control over
    their own reproductive decisions.
    http://www.ucsusa.org/about/1992-world-scientists.html#.WHV-A1Xadph

    Obama Just Quietly Authored a Wonky Study on*Climate Change*…
    <http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/09/obama-authors-climate-change-emissions-study-science-trump/>

Foreign Policy 	 -‎Jan 9, 2017‎

    On Monday, Science published a new policystudy titled, "The
    Irreversible Momentum of Clean Energy."
    <http://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2017/01/06/science.aam6284.full>
    The study's author says curbing*greenhouse gas*emissions no longer
    has to come at the cost of economic growth, and suggests being green
    is good for.......
    Obama published the new, footnote-laden study in a wonky journal for
    scientists. But his intended audience could be his successor, U.S.
    President-elect Donald Trump, and his coterie of cabinet picks from
    the world of fossil fuels.
    On the campaign trail, Trump, an avid climate change skeptic, said
    Obama and Democratic rival Hillary Clinton’s climate policies were
    job killers. ...
    Trump also said he would "cancel" the landmark Paris climate change
    pact
    <http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/12/12/paris-conference-climate-agreement-final-obama/>,
    an international agreement to dramatically curb global emissions
    that Obama touted as a hallmark legacy of his presidency.
    Apparently Obama’s State of the Union warning
    <http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/president-calls-climate-change-greatest-threat-future-generations-state-union/>
    that climate change was the "greatest threat to future generations"
    didn’t resonate with the president-elect, who called climate change
    "an expensive hoax" and "bullshit" in the past....
    So Obama is trying a different tack; if raising the alarm bells on
    its danger didn’t work, maybe an economic argument will work. In
    Science, Obama says economic growth can continue hand-in-hand with
    falling emissions. Energy sector carbon emissions fell by 9.5
    percent from 2008 to 2015, writes Obama, while the U.S. economy grew
    by 10 percent in the same timeframe....
    Part of that was due to the fracking revolution, which unleashed
    lots of cleaner-burning natural gas that pushed coal out of power
    plants. Part was due to the fact that the United States was emerging
    from the fiscal crisis and recession, which hammered demand for
    electricity and thus meant lower emissions.
    "This ‘decoupling’ of energy sector emissions and economic growth
    should put to rest the argument that combating climate change
    requires accepting lower growth or a lower standard of living,"
    Obama writes. He also warns that ignoring the damaging impacts of
    global climate change will be hazardous to U.S. economic health.
    "Estimates of the economic damages from warming of 4°C over
    preindustrial levels range from 1% to 5% of global GDP each year by
    2100," he writes, "which could lead to lost U.S. federal revenue of
    roughly $340 billion to $690 billion annually."...
    ... Obama notes in the conclusion of the study, ... "We have long
    known, on the basis of a massive scientific record, that the urgency
    of acting to mitigate climate change is real and cannot be ignored."
    ... Obama is hoping that someone — anyone — close to the
    president-elect does, and that the new reality that tackling climate
    change is not at odds with economic growth might just get through....
    http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/09/obama-authors-climate-change-emissions-study-science-trump/...

*The irreversible momentum of clean energy
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2017/01/06/science.aam6284.full>*

    The release of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gases
    (GHGs) due to human activity is increasing global average surface
    air temperatures, disrupting weather patterns, and acidifying the
    ocean (1). Left unchecked, the continued growth of GHG emissions
    could cause global average temperatures to increase by another 4°C
    or more by 2100 and by 1.5 to 2 times as much in many midcontinent
    and far northern locations (1). Although our understanding of the
    impacts of climate change is increasingly and disturbingly clear,
    there is still debate about the proper course for U.S. policy—a
    debate that is very much on display during the current presidential
    transition. But putting near-term politics aside, the mounting
    economic and scientific evidence leave me confident that trends
    toward a clean-energy economy that have emerged during my presidency
    will continue and that the economic opportunity for our country to
    harness that trend will only grow. This Policy Forum will focus on
    the four reasons I believe the trend toward clean energy is
    irreversible.
    http://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2017/01/06/science.aam6284.full

    UK*Climate Change*Minister says Donald Trump poses 'very big
    challenge' to the world
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/uk-climate-change-minister-nick-hurd-donald-trump-very-big-challenge-to-world-president-elect-global-a7519501.html>

The Independent 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    Speaking to the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee -
    which deals with*global warming*following the abolition of the
    Department for Energy and*Climate Change*by Theresa May - Nick Hurd
    said the UK would seek to use some of its .

    At Sundance, the Theme Is*Climate Change*
    <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/movies/at-sundance-the-theme-is-climate-change.html>

New York Times 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    the Sundance Film Festival will open its 33rd edition with a
    climate-change documentary starring Al Gore....Mr. Trump has mocked
    the science of*global warming*as a Chinese hoax and selected
    a*climate-change*denialist to run the Environmntal Protection
    Agency....We stay free of politics," Robert Redford, who founded
    Sundance, said by telephone. "It just happened to coincide."
    He added: "We don’t want to be tied into the current political
    cycle. That would be a terrible mistake, if we start to drive the
    story, when our whole mission is to support filmmakers who have
    stories they want to tell."
    Sundance finds itself navigating some unusually slippery terrain
    this year. Mr. Redford, who recuses himself from programming
    decisions, bristles when his festival is seen as having an agenda.
    "We don’t take a position," he insisted. At the same time, his top
    programmers, John Cooper and Trevor Groth, say they are taking a
    specific stance, one that is political by nature: For the first time
    in the festival’s history, there will be a spotlight on one theme —
    global warming and the environment. Their goal?
    "To change the world," Mr. Groth, programming director, said with a
    grin over lunch here recently. Mr. Cooper, Sundance’s director,
    added quickly, "Or die trying."

    Alaskan Village, Citing*Climate Change*, Seeks Disaster Relief In
    Order To Relocate
    <http://www.npr.org/2017/01/10/509176361/alaskan-village-citing-climate-change-seeks-disaster-relief-in-order-to-relocate>

NPR 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    The tiny village of Newtok near Alaska's western coast has been
    sliding into the Ninglick River for years. As temperatures increase
    - faster there than in the rest of the U.S.

    White House Urges Research on Geoengineering to Combat*Global
    Warming*
    <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/science/geoengineering-climate-change-global-warming.html>

New York Times 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    A White House road map for federally funded*climate*research has for
    the first time recommended research into geoengineering, the concept
    of intervening in nature to slow or reverse*global warming*. The
    document, an update of a report that lays out a*...*

    Trump Nominees Should Answer These*Climate*Questions
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/trump-nominees-climate-change-hearings-21042>

Climate Central 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    One potential flashpoint for a number of nominees is*climate
    change*and clean energy. Many of Trump's nominees - and Trump
    himself - have widely expressed*climate science*denialism and
    questioned the value of clean energy. Senator Jeff Sessions ...

    A heatwave in the Arctic, a Trump in the White House | | Al Jazeera
    <http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/01/heatwave-arctic-trump-white-house-170107145243990.html>

Aljazeera.com 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    As the planet is approaching a climate catastrophe, Trump is to take
    office with a climate change denial agenda.

    Conservative media can't stop  ( claiming there's been a ) *global
    warming*'pause'
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jan/10/conservative-media-cant-stop-denying-there-was-no-global-warming-pause>

The Guardian 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    One of those allies is the anti-*climate*policy advocacy
    group*Global Warming*Policy Foundation (GWPF), which tries to make
    the case that aggressive*climate*policy isn't needed. ...This
    particular myth has been a favorite of deniers over the past decade
    for one simple reason – if people can be convinced that global
    warming stopped, they won’t consider it a threat that we need to
    urgently address by cutting fossil fuel consumption. It’s thus
    become one of the most common myths peddled by carbon polluters and
    their allies...The answer is that global warming has continued
    unabated over the past 18 years. There are of course natural
    temperature influences superimposed on top of that human-caused
    warming trend. It just so happens that 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012
    were all influenced by La Niña cooling, which along with some other
    factors, acted to temporarily dampen the warming.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXcA9oq04n4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWdJuNYLTLs.

    China Wants to Be a*Climate Change*Watchdog, but Can It Lead by
    Example?
    <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/world/asia/china-wants-to-be-a-climate-change-watchdog-but-cant-yet-lead-by-example.html>

New York Times 	 -‎24 minutes ago‎

    BEIJING - President-elect Donald J. Trump has called*climate
    change*a "hoax" created by China and said he would withdraw from the
    global Paris Agreement to curb*greenhouse gas*emissions. That threat
    has lent new urgency to a question that has ...

    *Global warming*could see rise in toxic shellfish that can lead to
    memory loss and potentially kill
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/global-warming-climate-change-oceans-acidity-toxic-shell-fish-a7518021.html>

The Independent 	 -‎19 hours ago‎

    Rising ocean temperatures are leading to a rise in shellfish
    infected with a potentially deadly toxin, according to new research.
    There have been a number of vast blooms of algae - so large they can
    be seen from space - off the west coast of the US*...scientists
    warned that if ocean temperatures rise because of global warming,
    this could lead to an increase in the numbers of poisonous shellfish...
    *"*Our observations reveal a common relationship: the warmer the
    ocean conditions, the more likely domoic acid is to surpass alert
    thresholds during upwelling season, and the more toxic and/or more
    widespread a domoic acid event has the potential to become,*"* *...*
    *"*The risk parameters presented in this work as indicative of
    elevated domoic acid in shellfish … can be applied to future
    examination of relationships between warm regimes and domoic acid
    along the [US] West Coast, as well as other eastern boundary
    currents worldwide.*"*
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/global-warming-climate-change-oceans-acidity-toxic-shell-fish-a7518021.html
    *Climatic regulation of the neurotoxin domoic
    acid**http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/01/03/1606798114*  We
    investigate regulation of domoic acid, a potent marine phycotoxin,
    at the climate scale. Due to the threat domoic acid can pose to
    public health, marine wildlife, and coastal economies, decades of
    laboratory experiments have examined controls on domoic acid
    production without reaching consensus on reliable toxin-producing
    conditions. Our findings reveal an association between domoic acid
    in shellfish and climate-scale warm ocean conditions, a unique,
    large-scale perspective relative to previous work.*

    U.N.*Climate*Fund Could Take a Big Hit if Trump Keeps Election
    Promise
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/u-n-climate-fund-could-take-a-big-hit-if-trump-keeps-election-promise/>

Scientific American 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Trump has called*global warming*a hoax and has said he would
    withdraw the U.S. from the landmark 2015 Paris agreement
    on*climate*(although he subsequently told The New York Times he is
    keeping an "open mind" on these issues). In Trump's "Contract with*...*

Eric Holthaus Podcast "Warm Regards"
<https://soundcloud.com/warmregardspodcast>

    Warm Regards is a podcast about the warming planet. The show is
    hosted by meteorologist Eric Holthaus. Co-hosts are Jacquelyn Gill,
    a paleoecologist at the University of Maine, and Andy Revkin, a
    veteran journalist at the New York Times. The show is produced by
    Stephen Lacey. Our theme music comes from WJLP.
    Climate Anxiety in the Trump Era  (15:15)
    <http://reneelertzman.com/2016/11/climate-anxiety-in-the-trump-era/>
    http://reneelertzman.com/2016/11/climate-anxiety-in-the-trump-era/

*This Day in Climate History  January 11, 2013
<http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01/11/conservatives-once-again-cite-extreme-cold-to-d/192202>
-  from D.R. Tucker*

    January 11, 2013:   Media Matters notes: "After ignoring reports
    that 2012 was the hottest year on record in the U.S., Rush Limbaugh
    and Fox Business host Stuart Varney tried to push back against
    well-established evidence of climate change by citing instances of
    cold weather."
    http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01/11/conservatives-once-again-cite-extreme-cold-to-d/192202

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .