[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 16, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jan 16 08:46:23 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email. January 16, 2017/

    The 'Madhouse Effect' of climate denial in America | Public Radio
    (audio 21 mins)
    <http://www.pri.org/stories/2017-01-15/madhouse-effect-climate-denial-america>

PRI 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    In their new book, a climate scientist and a political cartoonist
    team up to debunk the arguments against climate change..
    Suddenly,*climate change*denial is back in style, he says - and back
    in power. "We now encounter*climate change*denialism, an agenda of
    inaction on*climate change*in all of our branches of government now,
    in the Congress and in the presidency,"
    **"*We now encounter climate change denialism, an agenda of inaction
    on climate change in all of our branches of government now, in the
    Congress and in the presidency,*"* he says. *"*It's worrying at a
    time when we need to be accelerating this transition away from our
    dependence on fossil fuels.*"**
    *Climate science shows that global temperatures are careening
    towards a critical checkpoint. The Earth shouldn't warm by any more
    than 2 degrees Celsius or 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit*"*. *
    **"*Some scientists will point to [that] … as the level of truly
    dangerous, irreversible changes in climate,*"* Mann says. *"*If we
    don't dramatically bring down our emissions over the next decade,
    then we will likely commit to warming the planet more than that
    amount*"**
    **"*It's a sort of gallows humor, I suppose, at times,*"* Mann says.
    *"*Tom Toles, in my view, has found a way to make delay and denial
    and despair funny, in an odd way. But without a message of hope,
    without an avenue forward, gallows humor alone doesn't lead us in
    the right direction*"**
    **"*So we haven't yet committed ourselves to truly catastrophic
    irreversible changes in our climate that go beyond our adaptive
    capacity, but we don't have a lot of time left, and we do need to
    make progress over the next few years,*"* he
    says....http://www.pri.org/stories/2017-01-15/madhouse-effect-climate-denial-america*

    (Britain) Leading scientists urge May to pressure Trump over*climate
    change*
    <https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/16/leading-scientists-urge-may-to-pressure-trump-over-climate-change>

The Guardian 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    The letter urges the PM to press Donald Trump directly and through
    international forums such as the G7 and G20 to accept the reality
    of*climate change*and restate a commitment to the Paris agreement.
    In rejecting the scientific evidence around*climate* ..
    "We don’t know how bad it will be, and it seems that Trump has
    slightly gone back on some of the rhetoric, but there are still
    worrying concerns," said Prof Piers Forster, a signatory of the
    letter and director of the Priestley International Centre for
    Climate at Leeds University. "What concerns me is that if we don’t
    have good scientific data and observations coming from America,
    we’ll be flying blind."...
    Scott Pruitt, who said the climate change debate was ‘far from
    settled’, has been chosen by Trump to run the EPA. Photograph: Aaron
    P. Bernstein/Reuters
    The letter urges the PM to press Donald Trump directly and through
    international forums such as the G7 and G20 to accept the reality of
    climate change and restate a commitment to the Paris agreement. In
    rejecting the scientific evidence around climate change, Trump is
    disregarding the findings and advice from expert bodies around the
    world, including the US National Academy of Sciences and the
    Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the letter states.
    It adds that the UK science community stands ready to back US
    researchers in "resisting any political attempts to prevent, hamper,
    or interfere with vital research on climate change.".

    Climate change: The potential impacts of collective inaction
    <http://www.redressonline.com/2017/01/climate-change-the-potential-impacts-of-collective-inaction/>

Redress Information & Analysis 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    In the early 1900s, when the idea that industrialisation could
    potentially result in global warming was first posited, the
    consensus was ...
    Steadily increasing emissions of greenhouse gases – particularly
    carbon dioxide (CO2) – has meant that the last 10 years have been
    the warmest on record. Every year trumps the previous one, setting
    new record highs, resulting in more extreme weather patterns than
    had previously been experienced: intense heat and driving cold,
    tremendous storms, forest fires and life-threatening droughts,
    seasonal shifts causing changes in wildlife activity and disruptions
    to ecosystems...
    In 2016 hundreds died in India as temperatures hit 51˚C (123.8˚F);
    terrible flooding swept through Myanmar, Argentina, Indonesia, Spain
    and Egypt, and in December the Arctic experienced a heat wave, the
    second in the same year. Recorded temperatures were 15˚C above
    normal – whatever that is now – at minus 7˚C. This in turn impacts
    on wildlife, sea levels and weather patterns further south: all is
    interconnected...
    Bizarre weather patterns like these examples occur everywhere and
    have become commonplace: destructive, extreme and forecast to
    increase and intensify. They are set in motion by mankind’s
    continued burning of fossil fuels – coal, oil and gas, reckless,
    irresponsible human activity driven by rabid consumerism and the
    ongoing obsession with material goods to satisfy a deep yet
    unfulfilled longing for joy and contentment...
    http://www.redressonline.com/2017/01/climate-change-the-potential-impacts-of-collective-inaction/.

    Coping with Sea Level Rise (Tamino)
    <https://tamino.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/coping-with-sea-level-rise/>

    The people of Tampa Bay, in order to prepare for all the problems
    that will come with sea level rise, responded to Florida’s 2015
    Peril of Flood Act by having their Climate Science Advisory Panel
    (CSAP) produce a Recommended Projection of Sea Level Rise in the
    Tampa Bay Region...
    Contrary to what Willis Eschenbach claims, this data set shows
    significant acceleration. I wonder whether he’s not competent to
    determine that, or he simply didn’t bother to find out before making
    his claim.
    Willis Eschenbach’s ridicule of the projections is contradicted by
    observational evidence already.  In my opinion, the worst aspect of
    Willis Eschenbach’s criticism of the projections isn’t his utter
    scientific incompetence, it’s the snotty attitude which pervades his
    essay. Just my opinion...
    I advise the people of Tampa Bay to begin their preparations
    immediately. I also advise them to ignore any and all snotty critics
    who deride the wisdom of actually getting prepared for the changes
    that are coming.
    https://tamino.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/coping-with-sea-level-rise/

    'Race Against Time' to Protect*Climate Science*Data From Trump
    <http://www.newsweek.com/protect-climate-science-data-donald-trump-542416>

Newsweek 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Soon after the election, Trump appointed Myron Ebell to lead the
    EPA’s transition..Ebell has worked for years to stoke doubt
    about*climate science*and is one of the most vocal opponents of the
    EPA's plan to lower carbon emissions from power plants..Would the
    Trump administration suppress or even tamper with decades of
    government data to serve its political agenda? So an international
    group of researchers decided to do what they could to protect
    existing data. They formed the Environmental Data & Governance
    Initiative, to coordinate data-saving efforts. With two colleagues,
    Michelle Murphy, director of the University of Toronto’s
    Technoscience research unit, spearheaded the first archiving
    session, laying the groundwork for similar events in Philadelphia,
    New York and Los Angeles before Trump’s inauguration..
    http://www.newsweek.com/protect-climate-science-data-donald-trump-542416.

    How 'letters to the future' are putting the spotlight
    on*climate*action now (audio)
    <http://www.pri.org/stories/2017-01-15/how-letters-future-are-putting-spotlight-climate-action-now>

PRI 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    For activists Trisha Shrum and Jill Kubit,*climate change*isn't just
    an abstract concept. Rather, it has faces and names: Eleanor and
    Gabriel, their children..
    DearTomorrow invites people to share letters, photos and videos
    about how they’re working against climate disruption — the idea
    being the notes will be seen decades in the future. Shrum got the
    idea for the project in 2014, on the flight home from a climate
    change conference in Iceland. At the conference, Christiana
    Figueres, then head of the United Nations Framework Convention on
    Climate Change, had given a talk that ended with a haunting story:...
    "She has this dream where the eyes of these children who are living
    in the future are looking at her and saying, ‘You knew about climate
    change. What did you do about it?’" Shrum recalls. Hearing about it,
    she says, "Something kind of clicked for me."..
    Letters, videos and photographs from people around the world are
    collected on the project’s website. Shrum says they’re looking for
    an institution to archive the trove of messages as a time capsule,
    to be exhibited "in 2030 and 2050, and potentially beyond."
    http://www.deartomorrow.org/en/home/
    My dear and precious little boy. I remember...
    DEAR TOMORROW COLLECTION <http://www.deartomorrowcollection.com/>
    http://www.deartomorrowcollection.com/

<https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/01/15/wisconsin-department-natural-resources-changed-mind-people-causing-climate-change>

    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Changed Its Mind About
    People Causing*Climate Change*
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/01/15/wisconsin-department-natural-resources-changed-mind-people-causing-climate-change>

DeSmog (blog) 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    Wisconsin - the home of House Speaker Paul Ryan, Governor Scott
    Walker, and Senator Ron Johnson - is having second thoughts about
    the cause of*climate change*. Once convinced human activity had
    something to do with*global warming*, the state's ..
    I’m calling Wisconsin’s action a canary in the coal mine not for the
    scientific fallacy I believe it is based on, but for the actions it
    could portend in other states and at the federal level — revanchist
    rewrites of science. That is: replacing credible conclusions flowing
    from a preponderance of evidence with those based on a much smaller
    series of suspect studies, conducted by a fringe element of the
    scientific community.

.

    *Climate change*: 90% of rural Australians say their lives are
    already affected
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/16/climate-change-90-of-rural-australians-say-their-lives-are-already-affected>

The Guardian 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Ninety per cent of people living in rural and regional Australia
    believe they are already experiencing the impacts of*climate
    change*and 46% believe coal-fired power stations should be phased
    out, according to a new study. A poll of 2,000 people*...*

        Brisbane weather:*Heatwave*temperatures to return Wednesday
        <http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-weather-heatwave-temperatures-to-return-wednesday-20170115-gtrztc.html>

    Brisbane Times 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    Do you feel that sweet, sweet relief? Brisbane is expecting a chilly
    31 degrees and 80 per cent humidity as the city rejoices in a brief
    gap between heatwaves.

    Trump supporters on environment: End U.S. support of*climate
    change*, bring back coal
    <http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/trump-supporters-on-environment-end-u-s-support-of-climate/article_63b5e282-d9d8-11e6-9c0e-9b5c39870ef6.html>

LancasterOnline 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    They don't see*climate change*as a threat and the environment may
    not be on the top of their agenda, but some Lancaster County
    residents who voted for Donald Trump are all for more "clean coal,"
    and less environmental regulations in the way of*...*

*This Day in Climate History  January 16, 2006
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011600779.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker*

    January 16, 2006: At a speech in Constitution Hall, Washington,
    D.C., former Vice President Al Gore declares:
    "[T]he American people, who have a right to believe that its elected
    representatives will learn the truth and act on the basis of
    knowledge and utilize the rule of reason, have been let down.
    To take another example, scientific warnings about the catastrophic
    consequences of unchecked global warming were censored by a
    political appointee in the White House with no scientific training
    whatsoever.
    "Today one of the most distinguished scientific experts in the world
    on global warming, who works in NASA, has been ordered not to talk
    to members of the press; ordered to keep a careful log of everyone
    he meets with so that the executive branch can monitor and control
    what he shares of his knowledge about global warming.
    "This is a planetary crisis. We owe ourselves a truthful and
    reasoned discussion."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011600779.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_2e1dIl2s

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .