[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 15, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Jan 15 11:09:10 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email.  January 15, 2017/

    Megastorms vs. megadroughts:*Climate change*brings a potentially
    devastating "atmospheric river" to California
    <http://www.salon.com/2017/01/14/megastorms-vs-megadroughts-climate-change-brings-a-potentially-devastating-atmospheric-river-to-california/>

Salon 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    Megastorms vs. megadroughts:*Climate change*brings a potentially
    devastating "atmospheric river" to Michelle Wolfe, who had to
    evacuate her nearby mobile home, looks out toward flooded vineyards
    in the Russian River Valley, Monday, Jan. 9, 2017, in ...
    Donald Trump can deny climate change all he wants to, but
    Californians can't escape the contrasting weather extremes it's
    already causing or affecting. We're in a cycle of ever more serious
    droughts broken by more intense storms — harbingers of much more
    serious challenges to come. What's happening in California now
    serves to underscore long-term realities, regardless of the
    day-to-day fantasies of those who temporarily hold political power....
    A series of storms from the vicinity of Hawaii, known as the
    "Pineapple Express," have drenched California and parts of Nevada,
    signaling a likely end to four years of severe drought. Just during
    the storm that hit Jan. 7 to 10, there were 52 reports of extreme
    precipitation (meaning more than eight inches of rain in a three-day
    period), with several measuring twice that. Strawberry Valley, on
    the western slopes of the Sierra Nevadas, got an amazing 20.51
    inches of rain during that storm — more than Los Angeles typically
    gets in an entire year..

    <https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-15/ignoring-trump-s-skepticism-davos-elite-bets-on-climate-change>

    Ignoring Trump's Skepticism, Davos Elite Bets on*Climate Change*
    <https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-15/ignoring-trump-s-skepticism-davos-elite-bets-on-climate-change>

Bloomberg 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Donald Trump has often ridiculed global warming and promised to
    withdraw the U.S. from the global accord signed in Paris in 2015.
    Yet despite the change of political weather in Washington, the
    captains of business and finance gathered in Davos this week will
    spend a lot of time talking about climate change -- and how to make
    money from it...
    The World Economic Forum is devoting 15 sessions of its 2017 annual
    meeting to climate change, and nine more to clean energy -- the most
    ever on the issues...
    "It's totally clear that companies see the writing on the wall,"
    said Morgan of Greenpeace. "If President-elect Trump doesn't want to
    go there,  then he is going to be very out of step."..
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-15/ignoring-trump-s-skepticism-davos-elite-bets-on-climate-change.

    Western Dems look to*climate*to revitalize jobs messages
    <http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/314276-western-dems-look-to-climate-to-revitalize-jobs-messages>

The Hill 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    OLYMPIA, Wash. — Western states run by Democrats are aiming to use
    government responses to climate change as the basis for a new
    economic pitch to show voters the party can manage a transitioning
    economy....
    State leaders are plotting aggressive new measures to tackle carbon
    emissions and promote renewable energy, in the face of an incoming
    administration that takes a skeptical view of climate change....
    Jerry Brown, entering the final two years of his last term in
    office, has pledged a particularly aggressive response to the Trump
    administration's*climate change*skepticism. Last month, Brown
    proposed launching a satellite to study*climate*data if the*...
    http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/314276-western-dems-look-to-climate-to-revitalize-jobs-messages..
    *

    Trump CIA, State Picks Deny*Climate Change*is a Security Threat
    <http://www.newsweek.com/trump-cia-state-picks-deny-climate-change-security-threat-542483>

Newsweek 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    What does the CIA director have to do with*climate change*? A lot
    more than Mike Pompeo, Donald Trump's pick for the agency's top job,
    seems to appreciate.

    Lawmakers to debate hard limits on*greenhouse gas*emissions in
    Oregon
    <http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/01/post_191.html>

OregonLive.com 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    Environmental activists are hoping Oregon lawmakers will act this
    session to put the third and what could be the most important plank
    of the state's*climate change*action plan in place: hard limits on
    greenhouse emissions and a market-based price to*...*

    *Climate change*shows in shrinking Antarctic snows
    <https://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-antarctic.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎15 hours ago‎

    For international experts stationed at the base, the frozen southern
    continent is a good gauge of*climate change*. "When I used to come
    to Antarctica in the 1990s, it never used to rain," said Rodolfo
    Sanchez, director of the Argentine Antarctic*...*

    Trudeau's cheap talk on*climate change*
    <http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/14/trudeaus-cheap-talk-on-climate-change>

Toronto Sun 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    If you want to understand the impact of*climate change*polices on
    ordinary Canadians and how detached our political leaders are from
    what they are doing by imposing them, think of this every time they
    say "carbon pricing.

    Northeast warming more rapidly than most of US
    <https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/01/12/northeast-will-experience-faster-warming-from-climate-change-new-study-finds/nitce6eK8zqQN2LXZXgvwK/story.html>

The Boston Globe 	 -‎Jan 13, 2017‎

    New England is likely to experience a significantly greater rate of
    warming over the coming decades than the rest of the planet,
    according to a new study...The region's temperatures are projected
    to rise by an average of 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit above pre-industrial
    levels by 2025,...We'll have occasional snow, but we won't have
    weeks and weeks of snow on the ground..
    The Northeast could see sea levels rise about 25 percent higher than
    other parts of the planet — perhaps by as much as 10.5 feet by 2100,
    and 37 feet by 2200, according to some projections...
    "I am very concerned about what I'm hearing from the new
    administration," she said. "We need to be on guard, and make clear
    what the truth is."..

    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/prediction-of-climate-change-impacts-not-as-limited-as-tillerson-suggests/>

    Prediction of*Climate Change*Impacts Not as "Limited" as Tillerson
    Suggests
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/prediction-of-climate-change-impacts-not-as-limited-as-tillerson-suggests/>

Scientific American 	 -‎Jan 13, 2017‎

    During his confirmation hearing for secretary of state, Rex
    Tillerson said "our ability to predict" the effect of
    increased*greenhouse gas*concentrations in the atmosphere "is very
    limited." That's not entirely accurate. While "very ... Take*sea
    level**...*

*This Day in Climate History  January 15, 2009
<https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr594/text>-  from D.R. Tucker*

    January 15, 2009: Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA) introduces HR 594, the Save
    Our Climate Act (a carbon-tax bill).
    January 15, 2013: Think Progress reports: "Virginia’s legislature
    commissioned a study to determine the impacts of climate change on
    the state’s shores. After Tea Party complaints, lawmakers [removed]
    the words 'climate change' and “sea level rise” from the title.
    "This week, Virginia released its analysis, under the title
    'Recurrent Flooding Study for Tidewater Virginia.' The report
    discusses the threat of flooding and rising sea levels to coastal
    Virginia, but gives less notice to the causes of climate change."
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr594/text
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/01/15/1448711/virginia-waters-down-report-on-impacts-of-climate-change-after-tea-party-complaints/

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .