[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 14, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jan 14 10:22:30 EST 2017

/The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email. January 14, 2016/

    Trump meets with Princeton physicist who says*global warming*is good
    for us
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/13/trump-meets-with-princeton-physicist-who-says-global-warming-is-good-for-us/>

Washington Post 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    ... according to the Trump transition team, the president-elect also
    met with *William Happer*, a Princeton professor of physics who has
    been a prominent voice in questioning whether we should be concerned
    about human-caused*climate change**...The meeting may be most
    noteworthy as an example of how Trump plans to get scientific advice
    — through meetings with people whose views are not necessarily part
    of the mainstream. It’s not a model that most scientists will
    approve of....*
    *DeSmogBlog.com...individual climate deniers involved in the global
    warming denial industry:
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/global-warming-denier-database#olist-W>*
    *William Happer - Stance on Climate Change -
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer>*
    Ph.D, physics, Princeton (1964).  Bachelor's degree in physics from
    University of North Carolina (1960).
    Fossil Fuel Funding:  William Happer has accepted funding from the
    fossil fuel industry in the past. In a Minnesota state hearing on
    the impacts of carbon dioxide, Peabody Energy
    <http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Peabody_Energy> paid him
    $8,000 which was routed through the CO2 Coalition
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/co2-coalition>. [8]
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s8>
    *In 2015 *undercover investigation by Greenpeace,  Happer told
    Greenpeace reporters that he would be willing to produce research
    promoting the benefits of carbon dioxide for $250 per hour, while
    the funding sources could be similarly concealed by routing them
    through the CO2 Coalition
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/co2-coalition>. [8]
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s8>
    *2016 *"Since the year 1800, the Earth has warmed by about 1 degree
    Celsius. Some fraction of the warming is due to more atmospheric CO2
    from burning fossil fuels, but most of the warming is probably due
    to the same natural forces that have always controlled the Earth’s
    changeable climate." [9] <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s9>
    *2010*  "I, and many other scientists, think the warming will be
    small compared the natural fluctuations in the earth’s temperature,
    and that the warming and increased CO2 will be good for mankind."
    [10] <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s10>
    *Key Quotes - Dec 8, 2016 *
    "We’re doing our best to try and counter this myth that CO2 is a
    dangerous pollutant. It’s not a pollutant at all." [69]
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s69>
    "We should be telling the scientific truth that more CO2 is actually
    a benefit to the earth. [… ]There are very good reasons to think
    that." [69] <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s69>
    "Let me point out that if you have a well-designed coal plant, what
    comes out of the stack of the plant is almost the same thing that
    comes out of a person's breath." [69]
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s69>
    "The main thing is that people don’t realize we’re in a CO2 famine
    right now. […] We’re way down. We’re down by a factor of 4 or 5 over
    the levels that plants would really like." [69]
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s69>
    "We know that the scary things about CO2 you keep hearing about —
    sea level rise, we’re all going to boil—that’s all based on models
    that don’t work. They’re not even close to working. […] So why are
    we basing these ruinous regulations on models that don’t work?" [69]
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s69>
    *December 8, 2016 * William Happer was a speaker at the "At the
    Crossroads III Energy and Climate Summit,"
    <https://web.archive.org/web/20161222233521/http://www.heritage.org/events/2016/12/at-the-crossroads-iii>
    an event co-hosted by the Heritage Foundation
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/heritage-foundation> and the Texas
    Public Policy Foundation (TPPF). The event was billed as "the
    premier energy-and-climate policy event in America," and attracted a
    range of prominent climate change deniers as well as a range of
    names connected to Donald Trump and his transition team. [67]
    <https://www.desmogblog.com/william-happer#s67>
    YouTube Video At the Crossroads III: Energy and Climate Policy
    Summit <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asj-3efMVB8>

    Prediction of*Climate Change*Impacts Not as "Limited" as Tillerson
    Suggests
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/prediction-of-climate-change-impacts-not-as-limited-as-tillerson-suggests/>

Scientific American 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    During his confirmation hearing for secretary of state, Rex
    Tillerson said "our ability to predict" the effect of
    increased*greenhouse gas*concentrations in the atmosphere "is very
    limited." That's not entirely accurate. While "very ... Take*sea
    level*... *global warming will lead to changes in the climate,
    including a rise in extreme weather events and sea levels. This is
    also no longer a matter of prediction.*

    ...scientists are nearly certain that increased CO2 levels from the
    burning of fossil fuels have caused over half of the global
    temperature increase since 1950. They’re also relatively certain
    that global warming will lead to a rise in extreme heat waves and
    sea levels. But they are less certain when linking global warming to
    increased incidences of wildfires.*...*

    Trump appointees on*climate change*: Not a hoax, but not a big deal
    either
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/13/trump-appointees-on-climate-change-not-fake-not-a-big-deal-either/>

Washington Post 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    As we watch President-elect Donald Trump's national security
    appointees seek Senate confirmation this week, a hint of a pattern
    seems to be emerging in how some of them discuss the global
    environment and its leading problem, the unambiguous warming ..

    Faith leaders reframe*climate change*as moral issue
    <http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2017/01/13/faith-leaders-reframe-climate-change-as-moral-issue.html>

Columbus Dispatch 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    In recent years, faith-based advocacy has emerged as a powerful tool
    in the environmental movement. By reframing*climate change*and
    sustainability as moral issues, religious leaders hope to advance
    environmentalism by elevating it above the political fray.

    Beginning of the End of CA Drought, But What's Next?
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/end-of-california-drought-but-whats-next-21054>

Climate Central 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    One key concern going forward is how*global warming*may alter
    California's notoriously boom-or-bust*climate*: Does it mean more,
    and more intense, drought?

*New Report: The Climate and Nuclear Security Intersection
<https://climateandsecurity.org/2017/01/13/new-report-the-climate-and-nuclear-security-intersection/>*

    ...the relationship between nuclear and climate issues. The report
    asks an important question on the expansion of nuclear energy: "can
    we expand its environmental benefits without increasing the risks of
    nuclear terror?"..
    In the Special Report, titled "American Nuclear Diplomacy: Forging a
    New Consensus to Fight Climate Change and Weapons Proliferation,"
    Poneman touts the expansion of nuclear energy as a necessary
    response to cataclysmic climate change globally. Nonetheless,
    nuclear energy brings inherent security concerns. According to
    Ponemen, these include the palpable danger of nuclear proliferation;
    or the possibility that hostile nations or terrorists could divert
    the technology, equipment, or materials necessary for enrichment to
    military uses. The report also mentions the threat that a rising
    number of facilities that handle weapons grade materials could pose
    to global security, as well as the problematic issue of what to do
    with nuclear waste. Beyond the risks Poneman identifies, Christine
    Parthemore noted five others in a recent CCS briefer:
         Clarity on the increasing scale of nuclear ambitions
         Detailed intentions on nuclear technologies of high concern
         Nuclear programs being pursued in absence of climate considerations
         The absence of nuclear-climate nexus thinking can be equally
    dangerous for domestic political and social reasons
         A changing export marketplace weakening nuclear norms and standards
    https://climateandsecurity.org/2017/01/13/new-report-the-climate-and-nuclear-security-intersection/

    *Climate change*is fuelling wars across the world, UN Secretary
    General Antonio Guterres says
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-fuelling-global-wars-conflict-world-syria-africa-global-warming-un-secretary-general-a7525431.html>

The Independent 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    Tackling*climate change*will help prevent global conflict, the
    incoming UN Secretary General has warned. The new head of the UN,
    Antonio Guterres, told the Security Council in New York that the
    organisation had to play a more active role in preventing ...

Study: U.S. water affordability crisis on the horizon
<http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2017/01/12/Study-US-water-affordability-crisis-on-the-horizon/3511484236130/?spt=mps&or=3&sn=sn>

    "A growing number of people in the United States and globally face
    daily barriers to accessing clean, affordable water,"
    LANSING, Mich., Jan. 12 (UPI) -- Water is relatively cheap when it
    comes to food and housing, which is why it is sometimes ignored in
    discussions about public assistance for necessities.
    But the cost of water is rising, and researchers at Michigan State
    University suggest water could become unaffordable to 36 percent of
    U.S. households in the next five years.
    http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2017/01/12/Study-US-water-affordability-crisis-on-the-horizon/3511484236130/

    Why it's '*climate change*' instead of '*global warming*' (video)
    <http://www.cleveland.com/weather/blog/index.ssf/2017/01/the_scientific_reasoning_behin.html>

cleveland.com (blog) 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    *Climate change*is now the preferred scientific term for the
    primarily man-made phenomenon, simply because*global warming*does
    not cover all of the detrimental effects humans have inflicted on
    the environment. To be clear, scientists didn't rename

    This Comic Shatters The '*Climate Change*Isn't New' Argument
    <https://www.good.is/articles/comic-xkcd-timeline-of-earth-temperature>

GOOD Magazine 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    The intellectual arguments against manmade*climate change*are
    devolving at such a rapid pace they'd make Darwin blush, with a
    "survival of the unfit" guiding the evolutionary curve continually
    downward....
    https://www.good.is/articles/comic-xkcd-timeline-of-earth-temperature...

*This Day in Climate History  January 14, 2013
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/01/14/no_global_warming_for_16_years_debunking_climate_change_denial.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker*

    January 14, 2013: Slate's Phil Plait once again debunks the "global
    warming stopped in 1998" claim often heard in right-wing media
    circles. (This claim had previously been debunked by Peter Sinclair
    of ClimateCrocks.com.) Plait notes:
    "So let this be clear: There is no scientific controversy over this.
    Climate change denial is purely, 100 percent made-up political and
    corporate-sponsored crap. When the loudest voices are fossil-fuel
    funded think tanks, when they don’t publish in science journals but
    instead write error-laden op-eds in partisan venues, when they have
    to manipulate the data to support their point, then what they’re
    doing isn’t science."
    http://youtu.be/QwnrpwctIh4
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/01/14/no_global_warming_for_16_years_debunking_climate_change_denial.html

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .