[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 18, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jan 18 00:57:46 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email."  January 18, 2017 / *click-bait
free - URLs presented - please notify of discrepancies*

https://tamino.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/nasa-noaa-to-announce-2016-global-temperatures-climate-conditions/
*(Wednesday AM press briefing) NASA, NOAA to Announce 2016 Global
Temperatures, Climate Conditions
<https://tamino.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/nasa-noaa-to-announce-2016-global-temperatures-climate-conditions/>*

    Climate experts from NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
    Administration (NOAA) will provide the annually-scheduled release of
    data on global temperatures and discuss the most important climate
    trends of 2016 during a media teleconference at 11 a.m. EST
    Wednesday, Jan. 18.   Audio of the briefing, as well as supporting
    graphics, will stream live at:
    http://www.nasa.gov/newsaudio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxFWwNS1unk
*(video) Pollster Ed Maibach: Public Awareness and Resolve on Climate
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxFWwNS1unk>*

    50% of Americans want both carbon tax and carbon regulation
    (from transcript)..."...and this is the most exciting finding from
    this survey;
    Eight out of 10 Americans say .. We explained in very simple clear
    terms, that governments have two basic options for reducing global
    warming pollution they can either regulate it or they can tax it  ---
    And we asked our respondents which of those two if any would you
    prefer to see our country do  eight out of 10 Americans say they
    would like to see one or the other.
    *Five out of 10 Americans say they would like to see our nation do
    both  (tax and regulate)*
    Only one out of ten said neither and one out of ten was essentially
    undecided so really strong public support for for climate action
    that waiting to be tapped...On the other hand there is unequivocally
    a silence the climate silence in America today.
    The average American while concerned about climate change rarely if
    ever talks about it and the reason they don't talk about it is
    because they think they are in the minority.." ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxFWwNS1unk

https://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/17/brit-scientists-flee-halloween-crack-on-antarctic-ice/
*Brit Scientists Flee "Halloween Crack" on Antarctic Ice
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/17/brit-scientists-flee-halloween-crack-on-antarctic-ice/>*

    "I'd pay to watch that movie. In fact, I think I did."
    *THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW - Larsen B Collapse
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBssLrx67Xc>*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBssLrx67Xc
    Favorite line in the clip above, "You let Jason operate the drill?"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38643420?
    *BBC: Ice crack to put UK Antarctic base in shut-down
    <http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38643420?>*
    The British Antarctic Survey is to pull all staff out of its
    space-age Halley base in March for safety reasons.
    The highly unusual move is necessary because the Brunt Ice Shelf on
    which the research station sits has developed a big new crack.
    "Changes to the ice, particularly the growth of a new crack,
    presents a complex glaciological picture that means that BAS
    scientists are unable to predict with certainty what will happen to
    the ice shelf during the forthcoming Antarctic winter," the research
    organisation said in a statement.
    "As a precautionary measure, BAS will remove its people before the
    Antarctic winter begins."
    *Watch drone footage of Halloween Crack
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92S91DcIxsk>*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92S91DcIxsk
    UAV (unmanned airborne vehicle) flight along a crack in the Brunt
    Ice Shelf, which appeared. This was detected by scientists in
    October 2016.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/house-science-panel-adds-climate-denying-members/

    House Science Panel Adds*Climate*-Denying Members
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/house-science-panel-adds-climate-denying-members/>

Scientific American 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    The committee has jurisdiction over $40 billion in federal budgets,
    and influence on climate research and environmental
    regulations....The panel has also challenged government scientists
    who refuted the theory of a*global warming*pause, a favorite
    conservative talking point.
    Under Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), the committee has earned a
    reputation for questioning climate scientists and environmental
    groups that say human activity, like burning fossil fuels, is the
    main cause of rising temperatures....
    Some of the committee's new members reject climate science
    altogether, even as other conservative lawmakers have softened their
    skeptical views to appear more reasonable. On Friday, the committee
    announced the appointment of six new members.
    Rep. Jim Banks (R-Ind.), who was elected to Congress this fall, said
    in October as a state senator that climate change is "leftist
    propaganda."
    "I believe that climate change in this country is largely leftist
    propaganda to change the way Americans live and create more
    government obstruction and intrusion in our lives," Banks said at a
    candidates forum in Indiana, the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette reported...
    Some...new GOP members have acknowledged that humans play a role in
    changing the climate, but they stop short of saying it justifies
    stronger environmental
    protections.......https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/house-science-panel-adds-climate-denying-members/

http://billmoyers.com/story/climate-threat-posed-right-wing-populisms-rising-tide/

    The*Climate*Threat Posed by Right-Wing Populism's Rising Tide
    <http://billmoyers.com/story/climate-threat-posed-right-wing-populisms-rising-tide/>

BillMoyers.com 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    European nationalists are not excited about the Paris
    Agreement....It is a devastating irony that less than a week after
    the Paris*Climate*Agreement went into effect, America elected
    a*climate change*denialist who promptly announced he would pull
    America out of the deal. However, even if America does leave the pact*
    *"If you take an issue like climate change, you've got a feedback
    loop. Without those institutions it makes it harder to fight climate
    change. A more destabilized climate will erode economic security and
    will increase migration. These issues add more pressure that may
    cause more populist politicians to be elected. That erodes
    international rule of law further and makes it harder to fight
    climate change, and so on."*,..
    .http://billmoyers.com/story/climate-threat-posed-right-wing-populisms-rising-tide/

    *

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/starla-yeh/top-scientists-validate-approach-climate-policy-making

    Top Scientists Validate Approach to*Climate*Policy-Making
    <https://www.nrdc.org/experts/starla-yeh/top-scientists-validate-approach-climate-policy-making>

Natural Resources Defense Council 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    Adjusting this estimate down, or worse, rejecting its application
    altogether, suggests that there are little or no benefits to us, our
    children or our grandchildren of avoiding the worst impacts
    of*climate change*. We know definitively that this is not*..
    *Specifically, we are referring to what has become known as the
    social cost of carbon (SCC). It is a measure of the dollar value of
    current and future costs associated with climate change for every
    ton of carbon pollution emitted. Agencies apply this concept in
    decision making to estimate the benefit (or avoided cost) of
    reducing one ton of carbon emissions.*
    *https://www.nrdc.org/experts/starla-yeh/top-scientists-validate-approach-climate-policy-making...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/01/11/healey-wins-showdown-with-exxon-mobil/HwActch6RI8WQVKdlfJJ9I/story.html
*Boston Globe - Healey wins showdown with Exxon Mobil
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/01/11/healey-wins-showdown-with-exxon-mobil/HwActch6RI8WQVKdlfJJ9I/story.html>*

    Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey won a major legal
    showdown against Exxon Mobil on Wednesday, when a judge ruled that
    the company must turn over 40 years of documents on climate change...
    The ruling is a major victory for Healey, who, along with the
    attorney general of New York, pursued probes into Exxon Mobil after
    reports published in 2015 suggested the company had encouraged
    climate-change confusion for years after its own scientists
    established the risks...
    Environmental groups were also trying to draw attention to their
    issue with the spotlight on Tillerson, who just stepped down from
    Exxon after working there for more than 40 years, the past 10 as CEO.
    At Tillerson's confirmation hearing Wednesday, Democratic Senator
    Tim Kaine, who was Hillary Clinton's running mate in the November
    election, questioned him about the company's history on climate change.
    "I'm asking you whether those allegations about Exxon Mobil's
    knowledge of climate science and decision to fund and promote a view
    contrary to its awareness of the science, whether those allegations
    are true or false," Kaine said.
    Tillerson demurred. "The question would have to be put to Exxon Mobil."
    That prompted Kaine to ask: "Do you lack knowledge to answer my
    questions or are you refusing to answer my question?"
    Tillerson answered: "A little of both."
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/01/11/healey-wins-showdown-with-exxon-mobil/HwActch6RI8WQVKdlfJJ9I/story.html

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/beyond-data/2016-historic-year-billion-dollar-weather-and-climate-disasters-us
*2016: A historic year for billion-dollar weather and climate disasters
in U.S.
<https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/beyond-data/2016-historic-year-billion-dollar-weather-and-climate-disasters-us>*

      Since 1980, the U.S. has sustained 203 weather and climate
    disasters where the overall damage costs reached or exceeded $1
    billion (including adjustments based on the Consumer Price Index, as
    of January 2017). The cumulative costs for these 203 events exceed
    $1.1 trillion.
    ...an unusual year, as there were 15 weather and climate events with
    losses exceeding $1 billion each across the United States....events
    included drought, wildfire, 4 inland flood events, 8 severe storm
    events, and a tropical cyclone event... Cumulatively, these 15
    events led to 138 fatalities and caused $46.0 billion in total,
    direct costs. The 2016 total was the 2nd highest annual number of
    U.S. billion-dollar disasters, behind the 16 events that occurred in
    2011.
    The changing frequency of billion-dollar disaster events:
    ...From 1980–2016, the annual average number of billion-dollar
    events is 5.5 (CPI-adjusted). For the most recent 5 years
    (2012–2016), the annual average is 10.6 events (CPI-adjusted). The
    year 2005 was the most costly since 1980 due to the combined impacts
    of Katrina, Rita, Wilma, and Dennis, as shown in the following
    time-series. The year 2012 was the second most costly due to the
    extreme U.S. drought ($30 billion) and Sandy ($65 billion) driving
    the losses....
    Other types of extreme weather events have also shown a higher
    frequency including the semi-persistent Western drought and wildfire
    seasons since the year 2000. ...wildfire seasons are lengthening in
    the Western states and Alaska (NCA, 2014), while forestry management
    budgets are increasingly diverted for wildfire suppression costs
    (USFS, 2015)...
    Each disaster type has a distinct footprint of impact over time. ...
    wildfire impacts largely west of the Plains states,...Southeast
    impacts.  The high-frequency inland flooding events often occur in
    states adjacent to large rivers or the Gulf of Mexico, which is a
    warm source of moisture to fuel rainstorms.  Drought impacts are
    most focused in the Southern and Plains states where there are
    billions of dollars in agriculture and livestock assets....
    Severe local storm events are common in the Plains and into the Ohio
    River Valley states. Winter storm impacts...in the Northeast, not
    surprising given the propensity for Nor'easters, while tropical
    cyclone impacts range from Texas to New England, but also include
    many inland states.
    In total, from 1980–2016, the U.S. South/Central and Southeast
    regions experienced a higher frequency of billion-dollar disaster
    events than any other region, as shown in the red total disaster
    map. This map reflects the cumulative diversity, frequency, &
    severity of weather & climate events impacting these regions.
    https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/beyond-data/2016-historic-year-billion-dollar-weather-and-climate-disasters-us

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/global-warming-steal-postcard-perfect-weather-days-44845449

    *Global Warming*Could Steal Postcard-Perfect Weather Days
    <http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/global-warming-steal-postcard-perfect-weather-days-44845449>

ABC News 	 -‎17 minutes ago‎

    *Global warming*is going to steal away some of those
    postcard-perfect weather days in the future, according to a
    first-of-its-kind projection of nice weather.
    On average, Earth will have 10 fewer days of mild and mostly dry
    weather by the end of the century, the researchers estimate. Some
    places will get more days perfect for picnics or outdoor weddings,
    while other places will lose a lot. Rio de Janeiro, Miami and much
    of Africa are big losers, while Europe and Seattle will gain nicer
    weather..
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/global-warming-steal-postcard-perfect-weather-days-44845449

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        **** click-bait free -  URLs clearly represented *-- please
        notify of any discrepancies. ***
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .