[TheClimate.Vote] January 19, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jan 19 10:06:17 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email.  January 19, 2017 /*click-bait
free - URLs clearly presented - please notify of any discrepancy*

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/house-science-panel-adds-climate-denying-members/

    House Science Panel Adds*Climate*-Denying Members
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/house-science-panel-adds-climate-denying-members/>

Scientific American 	 -‎Jan 17, 2017‎

    The panel has also challenged government scientists who refuted the
    theory of a*global warming*pause, a favorite conservative talking
    point...
    Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.). Biggs, the former president of the
    Arizona state Senate, said on the campaign trail this fall that the
    climate isn't changing.
    "I do not believe climate change is occurring," he responded to a
    candidate survey from the Arizona Republic. "I do not think that
    humans have a significant impact on climate. The federal government
    should stop regulating and stomping on our economy and freedoms in
    the name of a discredited theory.".

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-noaa-data-show-2016-warmest-year-on-record-globally
*NASA, NOAA Data Show 2016 Warmest Year on Record Globally
<https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-noaa-data-show-2016-warmest-year-on-record-globally>*

    Earth's 2016 surface temperatures were the warmest since modern
    recordkeeping began in 1880, according to independent analyses by
    NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
    Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with 16 of the 17
    warmest years on record occurring since 2001. Not only was 2016 the
    warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the
    year – from January through September, with the exception of June –
    were the warmest on record for those respective months. October,
    November, and December of 2016 were the second warmest of those
    months on record – in all three cases, behind records set in 2015.
    Globally-averaged temperatures in 2016 were 1.78 degrees Fahrenheit
    (0.99 degrees Celsius) warmer than the mid-20th century mean. This
    makes 2016 the third year in a row to set a new record for global
    average surface temperatures.
    The 2016 temperatures continue a long-term warming trend, according
    to analyses by scientists at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space
    Studies (GISS) in New York. NOAA scientists concur with the finding
    that 2016 was the warmest year on record based on separate,
    independent analyses of the data.
    "2016 is remarkably the third record year in a row in this series,"
    said GISS Director Gavin Schmidt. "We don't expect record years
    every year, but the ongoing long-term warming trend is clear."
    The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 2.0 degrees
    Fahrenheit (1.1 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a
    change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other
    human-made emissions into the atmosphere.
    https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/noaa-nasa_global_analysis-2016.pdf

http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/01/18/climate-science-isnt-political-lying-about-it-is/

    *Climate Science*Isn't Political, Lying About It Is
    <http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/01/18/climate-science-isnt-political-lying-about-it-is/>

Forbes 	 -‎53 minutes ago‎

    The science is very straightforward and there are thousands of
    scrupulous people who study it, all reaching the same conclusion.
    The Earth is warming. The warming is severe and continues unabated.
    There are natural variations in weather and climate over long
    periods – up to 15 years at a time – but the long-term trend will
    continue to show warming. And the warming is human-caused and due to
    our emission of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. The more we
    emit, the worse this problem will get....
    Our politicians may deny it. Our corporations may deny it. And even
    the secretary of state and the president may deny it. But denying it
    doesn't change reality. The Earth is warming; we are the cause; the
    consequences are severe and increasing; it's up to all of us to do
    something about it. Even with La Niña in place for 2017, global
    temperature levels are likely to never sink back to the 20th century
    average, not for a single year in the 21st century. The Earth
    belongs to us all, including all the humans who'll come after us. If
    we have any hope of taking care of it, it has to start with
    accepting the truth. Even if it's inconvenient.

http://grist.org/climate-energy/in-the-trump-era-all-climate-progress-will-be-local/

    In the Trump era, all*climate*progress will be local
    <http://grist.org/climate-energy/in-the-trump-era-all-climate-progress-will-be-local/>

Grist 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    And now that a*climate science*-denier is moving into the White
    House, activists, mayors, and state legislators from across the
    country are pulling up their organic cotton socks and setting more
    aggressive goals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/arts/design/natural-history-museum-trump-climate-change.html

    Museum Trustee, a Trump Donor, Supports Groups That Deny*Climate
    Change*
    <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/arts/design/natural-history-museum-trump-climate-change.html>

New York Times 	 -‎Jan 17, 2017‎

    The American Museum of Natural History has long been on the front
    lines of the*climate change*discussion, as its scientists study the
    potential damage and its educators try to alert new generations to
    the dangers of*global warming*. The depth of that*...**
    *

http://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/18/katharine-hayhoe-a-support-group-for-scientists/
*(video) Katharine Hayhoe: A Support Group for Scientists
<http://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/18/katharine-hayhoe-a-support-group-for-scientists/>*

    Collin Maessen of the Realsceptic blog caught up with Katharine
    Hayhoe at AGU last month.
    https://youtu.be/6OaRuQTbL2I <https://youtu.be/6OaRuQTbL2I>
    Katharine Hayhoe is an atmospheric scientist and associate professor
    of political science at Texas Tech University.  She's become a star
    in the climate science communication world with how effective she
    can communicate climate science to Christians. In this tidbit she
    talks about how important the AGU Fall Meetings are for her and
    fellow scientists.
    Below, Hayhoe and others answer the question, what would you say to
    Donald Trump?
    A Message to Trump from Climate Scientists
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOibBy290cM>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOibBy290cM
    Before the AGU meeting I read John Abraham's article 'Trump begins
    filling environmental posts with clowns' in which he made the
    following point:
    "Or Trump could attend the world's largest geophysics meeting, which
    occurs in just a few weeks (American Geophysical Union Fall
    Meeting). He could walk around with a TV camera and a clipboard. Ask
    any random 10 scientists any question on climate change. Let's see
    how their answers compare to the information he is going to get from
    his handpicked insiders."
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/nov/17/trump-begins-filling-environmental-posts-with-clowns

    Trump most likely would never do this. Nor can I possibly know what
    kind of questions he would ask if he did visit the AGU Fall Meeting.
    But I can ask scientists what their message to Trump would be if
    they had a chance to speak to him. That one paragraph from Abraham's
    article inspired me to do just that. During the Fall Meeting I asked
    several scientists what their message would be and compiled their

https://nexusmedianews.com/pruitt-hides-pro-polluter-record-behind-process-jargon-7c9269941100#.8puahlxmk
*Pruitt Hides Pro-Polluter Record Behind Process Jargon
<https://nexusmedianews.com/pruitt-hides-pro-polluter-record-behind-process-jargon-7c9269941100#.8puahlxmk>*

    ...Senator Markey wastes no time, and gets back to the Endangerment
    Finding that "carbon pollution poses a danger to America." Will
    Pruitt promise to keep that finding on the books?
    Pruitt answers that the finding is "the law of the land" and as the
    EPA administrator he will uphold it. He says there's nothing he's
    aware of that would cause him to revisit that finding. An important
    reassurance.
    After talking about fuel standards, Markey asks Pruitt to support
    the right of states to do more to fight climate change than the
    federal government, turning Pruitt's states' rights position on its
    head. Pruitt then dips into legalese, stumbling over the word
    "adjudicated" as he refuses to make any concrete statement. Does he
    support the California waiver law? He respects it as something the
    Administrator has to do, but says it'd be his responsibility to
    review it. Which Markey hears as "undo" it, and proceeds to artfully
    call out Pruitt's hypocrisy on the "double standard" that states
    like Oklahoma should have the right to resist protecting the
    environment, but Massachusetts' right to set more stringent policies
    needs "review."...
    Senator Merkley resumes by commenting on Inhofe's submission of
    "Climategate," introducing a UCS debunking of Inhofe's favorite
    myth. Inhofe doesn't like that. Merkley then notes that the National
    Black Chamber of Commerce is funded by the Kochs and ExxonMobil, and
    that the NAACP takes the opposite stance endorsing the Clean Power
    Plan. He then submits documents showing Native Americans and Latinos
    are very concerned about Pruitt's nomination.
    Getting to a question for Pruitt, Merkley brings up the "if 97
    doctors say you have cancer…" line of thought. After establishing
    the validity of the science, Pruitt acknowledges that the
    Endangerment Finding and Mass v. EPA would compel him to act. But,
    asks Merkley, does Pruitt actually accept this or will he only do
    the legally obligated minimum? Pruitt's response is more of the
    process argument that clearly fails to alleviate Merkley's concerns....
    Moving on, Whitehouse looks at the list of Pruitt's cases, basically
    none of which are brought by Pruitt on behalf of the environment.
    Pruitt tries to pass the buck and say an underling was responsible
    for environmental action. But Whitehouse, who as a former AG knows a
    thing or two about the position, remains adamant about Pruitt's
    startling absence of any actions brought to protect the environment....
    Senator Booker remains fixated on the Illinois River case involving
    poultry producers. Booker maps out how Pruitt stopped the standard,
    disbanded the OK AG's environmental unit, and supported a "Right to
    Farm" law that weakens local laws to regulate farming. Which is all
    part of the pattern of Pruitt defending polluters from regulations,
    leaving Booker "worrying about which side you're on."...
    Finally, thankfully, the hearing comes to an end. What have we
    learned? Mostly that Pruitt has taken a lot of steps to protect
    polluters from regulation, and basically none to protect people from
    pollution.
    After six and a half hours of questions, did Pruitt move any
    Democratic votes in his favor? Probably not. Will that mean he won't
    be the next EPA administrator? We'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RWTTtPg8E*
(yideo) NASA's Analysis of 2016 Global Temperature
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RWTTtPg8E>*

    2016 was the hottest year on record, continuing a decades-long
    warming trend. Scientists at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space
    Studies (GISS) analyzed measurements from 6,300 locations and found
    that Earth's average surface temperature has risen about 2.0 degrees
    Fahrenheit (1.1 degrees Celsius) since the late-19th century,
    largely a result of human emissions into the atmosphere.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RWTTtPg8E

http://columbia.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ebaeb14fdbf5dc65289113c1&id=5feb42fb56&e=c4e20a3850
*Global Temperature in 2016
<http://columbia.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ebaeb14fdbf5dc65289113c1&id=5feb42fb56&e=c4e20a3850>*

    Abstract. Global surface temperature in 2016 was the highest in the
    period of instrumental measurements. Relative to average temperature
    for 1880-1920, which we take as an appropriate estimate of
    "pre-industrial" temperature, 2016 was +1.26°C (~2.3°F) warmer than
    in the base period. The 2016 temperature was partially boosted by a
    2015-16 El Niño, which was almost as strong as the 1997-98 "El Niño
    of the century". We estimate current global temperature excluding
    short-term variability as +1.07°C relative to 1880-1920, based on
    linear fit to post-1970 global temperatures.

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-ways-climate-late.html

    Finding ways to fix the*climate*before it is too late
    <https://phys.org/news/2017-01-ways-climate-late.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎36 minutes ago‎

    This graphic shows approximately 1200 different future scenarios of
    what the*climate*will look like, with each scenario a different mix
    of technologies and government policies...Deciding which large-scale
    economic and social changes to make so we don't overheat the planet
    is not easy, however. Researchers around the globe have built
    complex computer simulations, called Integrated Assessment Models,
    or IAMs, that give them a view into possible futures. The models
    predict what would happen to the climate over the next 80 years
    based on different mixes of government policies and technologies.
    The researchers don't actually know yet how including more detailed
    representations of the industrial ecology into IAMs will affect
    scenario outcomes—but they hope their article will encourage
    researchers to consider the idea. It is already clear that doing so
    will enable IAMs to consider a wider spectrum of climate change
    mitigation options, including recycling and material efficiency,
    than is the case today.
    "What we propose is basically a new line of research where we
    suggest the two groups work together," Stadler said. "We identified
    a problem that needs fixing and suggest how it might be done."
    Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-01-ways-climate-late.html#jCp.

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-evidence-impact-climate-early-jurassic.html

    Understanding new evidence of the impact of*climate change*in the
    Early Jurassic Period
    <https://phys.org/news/2017-01-evidence-impact-climate-early-jurassic.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    The discovery of organic-rich sediments, often described as black
    shales, at numerous deep-sea drilling sites during the early 1970s,
    led to the wider acknowledgement of the oceanic impact of*climate
    change*. At certain intervals during the Jurassic era*...*

http://youtu.be/v3bZwSXjtCM*
This Day in Climate History  January 19, 1999
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20998-2004Dec22.html> -
from D.R. Tucker*

    In his State of the Union address, President Clinton declares, "But
    our most fateful new challenge is the threat of global warming; 1998
    was the warmest year ever recorded. Last year’s heat waves, floods,
    and storms are but a hint of what future generations may endure if
    we do not act now."  http://youtu.be/v3bZwSXjtCM

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        **** click-bait free -  URLs clearly represented *-- please
        notify of any discrepancies. ***
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .