[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 20, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jan 20 10:12:10 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email. January 20, 2017. ///*no
click-bait- URLs - please report any discrepancy*

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-global-warming-effects-20170118-story.html

    Wildfires,*sea level rise*, coral bleaching:*Climate change*is
    already here
    <http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-global-warming-effects-20170118-story.html>

Los Angeles Times 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Although the most severe consequences of this warming have yet to
    come - especially if*greenhouse gas*emissions remain at current
    levels - some of the effects have already been felt..Scientists,
    public health officials and even the Pentagon are watching with
    great concern. Here's a look at some of those effects:
    *Wildfires in the West are twice as bad*
      Scientists recently determined that human-caused warming nearly
    doubled the area of land that has burned since the 1980s. That
    amounts to 16,000 additional square miles, or the size of
    Massachusetts and Connecticut combined.
    *As the Arctic ice melts, sea levels rise*
    Melting glaciers and diminishing sea ice have increased the amount
    of water in the oceans, leading sea levels around the world to rise
    by an average of about 6 inches over the last century. At the same
    time, higher temperatures have caused seas to expand. By the end of
    the century, waters could rise by 6 feet or more, threatening 13.1
    million residents of U.S. coastal cities with flooding, two studies
    predict.
    *A sea of problems*
    A warmer ocean is capable of holding more dissolved carbon dioxide,
    which causes the water to become more acidic over time.
    *Plants and animals on the move*
    species have migrated uphill or toward the poles where it's still
    cool enough for them. The result: Species leave their ancestral
    homes, causing local extinctions in those areas.
    *Warmer temperatures may be nice for now, but the feeling won't las*t
    This boils down to warmer winters and milder summers. But by the end
    of the century, that trend will flip.
    http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-global-warming-effects-20170118-story.html

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/19/cat-in-hells-chance-why-losing-battle-keep-global-warming-2c-climate-change

    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/19/cat-in-hells-chance-why-losing-battle-keep-global-warming-2c-climate-change>

    'A cat in hell's chance' – why we're losing the battle to
    keep*global warming*below 2C
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/19/cat-in-hells-chance-why-losing-battle-keep-global-warming-2c-climate-change>

The Guardian 	 -‎19 hours ago‎

    A global rise in temperature of just 2C would be enough to threaten
    life as we know it. But leading climate scientists think even this
    universally agreed target will be missed. Could dramatic action help?...
    The same warming again will intensify and accelerate human-driven
    changes already under way and has been described by James Hansen,
    one of the first scientists to call global attention to*climate
    change*, as a “prescription for long-term disaster*...*
    *Is it still likely that we will stay below even 2C? In the 100
    months since August 2008, I have been writing a climate-change diary
    for the Guardian to raise questions and monitor progress, or the
    lack of it, on climate action. To see how well we have fared, I
    asked a number of leading climate scientists and analysts for their
    views. The responses were as bracing as a bath in a pool of glacial
    meltwater.....*
    Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies has an important place in
    the history of climate-change research. Hansen was its director from
    1981 until 2013. Donald Trump is set to strip the institute of
    funding for climate research. Its current director, Dr Gavin
    Schmidt, is categoric that we are no longer likely to stay below 2C.
    “The inertia in the system (oceans, economies, technologies, people)
    is substantial and … so far the efforts are not commensurate with
    the goal,” he says...
    So, adding to the prevailing global strangeness, the edifice of
    international climate policy rests on a target that no one believes
    it is likely can be met. And some think even that insufficiently
    ambitious. Yet, among climate scientists, there is a consensus that
    swift action is vital, and with it the target remains, at least,
    possible...
    With the amount of carbon burned by humans, we have now created a
    climate not experienced on Earth since the Pliocene era, 2m-5m years
    ago. We are daily rolling the climate dice with the odds stacked
    against us. But we are also clever, quick and innovative when we
    want to be. Now that we understand the game better, the question we
    face is whether we will choose to change it, fast and enough, so
    that we can all have better lives.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/19/chinas-xi-jinping-says-world-must-implement-paris-climate-deal

    China's Xi Jinping says Paris*climate*deal must not be allowed to
    fail
    <https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/19/chinas-xi-jinping-says-world-must-implement-paris-climate-deal>

The Guardian 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    President says 'we only have one homeland' in a coded warning to
    Donald Trump not to dismantle the agreement
    China will continue to take steps to tackle*climate change*and fully
    honor its obligations,” Xi added, according to a transcript
    published by Xinhua, China's official news agency....
    “Industrialisation has created material wealth never seen before,
    but it has also inflicted irreparable damage to the environment,” Xi
    went on. “We must not exhaust all the resources passed on to us by
    previous generations and leave nothing to our children or pursue
    development in a destructive way. Clear waters and green mountains
    are as good as mountains of gold and silver. We must maintain
    harmony between man and nature and pursue sustainable development.”
    Zhang said Beijing would stick to its climate commitments since it
    understood the importance of cutting deadly air pollution but argued
    China would not want to serve as the world's “sole leader” on
    climate change.
    “We regard ourselves as a developing country and, in addition to
    that, we've got pollution issues and are facing an economic slowdown
    at home,” he said.
    .

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/environment/global-warming/climate-science-bedeviled-by-tipping-points/articleshow/56659419.cms
*Climate science bedeviled by 'tipping points'  -  Economic Times
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/environment/global-warming/climate-science-bedeviled-by-tipping-points/articleshow/56659419.cms>*

    Of the many things that keep climate scientists awake at night,
    tipping points may be the scariest. To start with, these
    thresholds...are largely invisible.   You can't see them on the
    horizon, and ... there is no turning back -- at least not on a human
    timescale. ....enough frozen water to lift sea levels more than a
    dozen metres;... monsoon rains ... are at risk of irretrievable
    disruption.... "There are points-of-no-return where ... warming
    triggers unstoppable collapse of glaciers off of Antarctica,...Think
    of someone leaning back on two legs of a chair, ..."We don't know
    exactly when we might pass these points -- or whether we already
    have crossed some of them,"
    ...Other tipping points could trigger the natural
    release...of...Methane and CO2 locked in the increasingly misnamed
    permafrost of Russia, Canada and northern Europe is equivalent to
    roughly 15 years worth of global emissions from fossil fuels at
    today's levels..."Even if global warming is limited to below two
    degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit)" -- the red line drawn in
    the 196-nation Paris climate pact -- "some important tipping
    elements may already be harmed or transformed,"....But scientists
    also admit their tools are better at measuring steady, linear
    progressions than sudden shifts...."The problem is that there is no
    perfect analogue to what we will experience in the near
    future."...http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/environment/global-warming/climate-science-bedeviled-by-tipping-points/articleshow/56659419.cms

https://tamino.wordpress.com/2017/01/19/merchants-of-doubt-2/
(videos) Merchants of Doubt - Naomi Oreskes interview

http://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Fine-Art-of-Sniffing-Out/238907
*Chronicle of Higher Education: The Fine Art of Sniffing Out Crappy
Science
<http://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Fine-Art-of-Sniffing-Out/238907>*

    Carl T. Bergstrom and Jevin West, a pair of scientists at the
    University of Washington, think it's time to arm students with boots
    and shovels. They have published the outline of a course, titled
    "Calling Bullshit," which would try to teach how to spot bad data
    and misleading graphs at a time when bending statistics has become a
    popular art form.

http://callingbullshit.org/syllabus.html
*(Syllabus) Calling Bullshit in the Age of Big Data
<http://callingbullshit.org/syllabus.html>*

    In many of the course lectures we will discuss how you can spot
    bullshit, call bullshit, and avoid becoming becoming the victim of
    bullshit. Here we present a set of instructional essays on various
    aspects of bullshit detection and refutation. Many of the examples
    we draw upon are classic examples that others have brought to light
    in their articles, essays, blogs, and other sources.
    Week 1. Introduction to bullshit. What is bullshit? Concepts and
    categories of bullshit. The art, science, and moral imperative of
    calling bullshit. Brandolini's Bullshit Asymmetry Principle.
    Week 2. Spotting bullshit. Truth, like liberty, requires eternal
    vigilance. How do you spot bullshit in the wild? Effect sizes,
    dimensions, Fermi estimation, and checks on plausibility. Claims and
    the interests of those who make them.
    Week 3. The natural ecology of bullshit. Where do we find bullshit?
    Why news media provide bullshit. TED talks and the marketplace for
    upscale bullshit. Why social media provide ideal conditions for the
    growth and spread of bullshit.
    Week 4. Causality One common source of bullshit data analysis arises
    when people ignore, deliberately or otherwise, the fact that
    correlation is not causation. The consequences can be hilarious, but
    this confusion can also be used to mislead. Regression to the mean
    pitched as treatment effect. Selection masked as transformation.
    Week 5. Statistical traps. Base-rate fallacy / prosecutor's fallacy.
    Simpson's paradox. Data censoring. Will Rogers effect, lead-time
    bias, and length time bias. Means versus medians. Importance of
    higher moments.
    ... ...http://callingbullshit.org/syllabus.html
    Week 11. Fake news.. Fifteen years ago, nascent social media
    platforms offered the promise of a more democratic press through
    decentralized broadcasting and a decoupling of publishing from
    advertising revenue. Instead, we get sectarian echo chambers and,
    lately, a serious assault on the very notion of fact. Not only did
    fake news play a substantive role in the November 2016 US elections,
    but recently a fake news story actually provoked nuclear threats
    issued by twitter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/science/earth-highest-temperature-record.html
*Earth Sets a Temperature Record for the Third Straight Year
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/science/earth-highest-temperature-record.html>*

    Marking another milestone for a changing planet, scientists reported
    on Wednesday that the Earth reached its highest temperature on
    record in 2016, trouncing a record set only a year earlier, which
    beat one set in 2014. It is the first time in the modern era of
    global warming data that temperatures have blown past the previous
    record three years in a row...
    The findings come two days before the inauguration of an American
    president who has called global warming a Chinese plot and vowed to
    roll back his predecessor's efforts to cut emissions of
    heat-trapping gases...
    In reality, the Earth is heating up, a point long beyond serious
    scientific dispute, but one becoming more evident as the records
    keep falling. Temperatures are heading toward levels that many
    experts believe will pose a profound threat to both the natural
    world and to human civilization...
    In 2015 and 2016, the planetary warming was intensified by the
    weather pattern known as El Niño, in which the Pacific Ocean
    released a huge burst of energy and water vapor into the atmosphere.
    But the bigger factor in setting the records was the long-term trend
    of rising temperatures, which scientists say is being driven by
    increasing levels of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOibBy290cM&t=76s
*(video) A Message to Trump from Climate Scientists
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOibBy290cM&t=76s>*

    Before the AGU meeting I read John Abraham's article 'Trump begins
    filling environmental posts with clowns' in which he made the
    following point:
    "Or Trump could attend the world's largest geophysics meeting, which
    occurs in just a few weeks (American Geophysical Union Fall
    Meeting). He could walk around with a TV camera and a clipboard. Ask
    any random 10 scientists any question on climate change. Let's see
    how their answers compare to the information he is going to get from
    his handpicked insiders."
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/nov/17/trump-begins-filling-environmental-posts-with-clowns
    Trump most likely would never do this. Nor can I possibly know what
    kind of questions he would ask if he did visit the AGU Fall Meeting.
    But I can ask scientists what their message to Trump would be if
    they had a chance to speak to him. That one paragraph from Abraham's
    article inspired me to do just that. During the Fall Meeting I asked
    several scientists what their message would be and compiled their
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOibBy290cM&t=76s

*This Day in Climate History  January 20, 1993 (video)
<http://youtu.be/2SWjIPwm954> -  from D.R. Tucker
*

    **January 20, 1993: In his first inaugural address, President
    Clinton declares: "To renew America, we must meet challenges abroad
    as well as at home. There is no longer a clear division between what
    is foreign and what is domestic. The world economy, the world
    environment, the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect
    us all."
    http://youtu.be/2SWjIPwm954

** =======================  #### ===========================

        *forward this email: *Send to everyone who needs to st ay
        informed about global warming.
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        **** click-bait free -  URLs clearly represented *-- please
        notify of any discrepancies. ***
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .