[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 25, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jan 25 07:34:11 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming, //Forward this email. January 25, 2017 /

    Trump takes action to move forward with Keystone, Dakota Access
    pipelines
    <http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/315852-trump-orders-keystone-dakota-access-pipeline-applications-to-move>

The Hill 	 -‎6 minutes ago‎

    President Trump on Tuesday moved two controversial pipeline projects
    forward by signing a pair of executive actions that could speed up
    approval of the Keystone XL and Dakota Access projects.

https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/01/24/trump-harold-hamm-keystone-xl-dakota-access-approval-order
*Key Trump Donor Stands to Profit from Order to Approve Keystone XL,
Dakota Access Pipelines
<https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/01/24/trump-harold-hamm-keystone-xl-dakota-access-approval-order>*

    On January 24, President Donald Trump signed two executive orders
    calling for the approval of the Dakota Access and Keystone XL
    pipelines, owned by Energy Transfer Partners and TransCanada,
    respectively. He also signed an order calling for expedited
    environmental reviews of domestic infrastructure projects, such as
    pipelines...
    Donald Trump's top presidential campaign energy aide Harold Hamm
    stands to profit if both pipelines go through...
    Hamm, the founder and CEO of Continental Resources who sat in the
    VIP box at Trump's inauguration and was a major Trump campaign
    donor, would see his company's oil obtained from hydraulic
    fracturing ("fracking") in the Bakken Shale flow through both lines.
    Kelcy Warren, CEO of Energy Transfer Partners, was also a major
    Trump donor.
    Rick Perry, Trump's nominee for U.S. Secretary of Energy, served on
    the Board of Directors for Energy Transfer Partners until he
    received the nomination from Trump.
    Trump's U.S. Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson, former CEO of
    ExxonMobil, would presumably have some say over the approval of the
    U.S.-Canada border-crossing Keystone XL, which must receive a
    presidential permit by the U.S. Department of State. Exxon, as
    reported by DeSmog, extracts tar sands in Alberta which would flow
    through Keystone and also has refining capacity in Texas.
    The American Petroleum Institute (API) also weighed in:

http://www.api.org/news-policy-and-issues/news/2017/01/24/api-welcomes-president-trump-commitment
*API WELCOMES PRESIDENT TRUMP'S COMMITMENT TO NATION'S ENERGY
INFRASTRUCTURE
<http://www.api.org/news-policy-and-issues/news/2017/01/24/api-welcomes-president-trump-commitment>*

    "We are pleased to see the new direction being taken by this
    administration to recognize the importance of our nation's energy
    infrastructure by restoring the rule of law in the permitting
    process that's critical to pipelines and other infrastructure
    projects," said Jack Gerard, API's President and CEO, in a press
    release. "Critical energy infrastructure projects like the Keystone
    XL and the Dakota Access Pipelines will help deliver energy to
    American consumers and businesses safely and efficiently.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/politics/article/Badlands-National-Park-goes-rogue-on-Trump-10880945.php

      *Badlands National Park goes rogue on Trump, tweets/global/warming
      data..
      <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiPvtqygtzRAhUEzmMKHYU6BncQqQIIHCgAMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattlepi.com%2Flocal%2Fpolitics%2Farticle%2FBadlands-National-Park-goes-rogue-on-Trump-10880945.php&usg=AFQjCNEmdV-CJ6Ls3Ia2qP4Sk6Vb5TSZfA&sig2=9-rHd2CRj1EuLvx52MExpg>*

seattlepi.com-1 hour ago    JOEL CONNELLY

    Actually, the act of speaking truth to power consisted of quoting
    factual data from a National Wildlife Federation guide on/global
    warming/.
    The Twitter account for Badlands National Park let loose some
    entirely factual but now politically fraught statements regarding
    climate change on Tuesday afternoon.
    The act of defiance was brief.  The tweets from Badlands National
    Park soon came down, but not before going viral.
    Actually, the act of speaking truth to power consisted of quoting
    factual data from a National Wildlife Federation guide on global
    warming.  Said the first tweet:
    "Today, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher
    than at any time in the last 650,000 years. #climate."
    A second tweet followed:  "The pre-industrial concentration of
    carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was 280 parts per million (ppm). As
    of December 2016, 404.93 ppm."
    And there was a third Tweet from just east of Rapid City: "Flipside
    of the atmosphere; ocean acidity has increased 30% since the
    Industrial Revolution. 'Ocean Acidification' #climate #carboncycle."...
    Specifically, the Trump administration... told .. the U.S.
    Department of the Interior -- which oversees the National Park
    Service -- to "immediately cease use of government Twitter accounts"
    to talk about global warming.
    And the National Park Service has already been in trouble.
    On Inauguration Day, it retweeted photos showing that Trump's
    swearing-in crowd was much smaller than the throng that turned out
    for President Obama in 2009.  Interior immediately shut down all
    Twitter accounts.
    Its Twitter service was restored a day later, after the National
    Park Service deleted the crowd tweets and was made to eat crow. It
    said in a followup tweet:
    "We regret the mistaken RT's from our account yesterday and look
    forward to continuing to share the beauty and history of our parks
    with you."
    White House press secretary, said of the Inauguration Day tweet:
    "My understanding is that because they had inappropriately violated
    their own social media policies, there was guidance that was put out
    to the department to act in compliance with the rules that were set
    forth."
    All the climate change-related tweets from @BadlandsNPS earlier
    today have been deleted. Wayback Machine has them:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170124222015/https:/twitter.com/BadlandsNPS
        [ https://t.co/6uVKhiEeY4 ]

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/federal-agencies-trump-information-lockdown-234122

    Information lockdown hits Trump's federal agencies
    <http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/federal-agencies-trump-information-lockdown-234122>

Politico 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    Federal agencies are clamping down on public information and social
    media in the early days of Donald Trump's presidency, limiting
    employees' ability to issue news releases, tweet or otherwise
    communicate with the outside world, according to memos and ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/environmental-protection-grants-staff_us_5886825be4b0e3a7356b575f
*EPA Freezes Grants, Tells Employees Not To Talk About It, Sources Say
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/environmental-protection-grants-staff_us_5886825be4b0e3a7356b575f?pon75akll8ei5dn29>*
Kate Sheppard  - Enterprise editor/Senior reporter, The Huffington Post

    WASHINGTON ― The Environmental Protection Agency has frozen its
    grant programs, according to sources there.
    "I will say it's pretty unusual for us to get these kinds of
    anonymous contacts from people at the agency, which makes me think
    it's unusual," said the Hill source.
    The memo states that the agency is imposing tight controls on
    external communication, including press releases, blog posts, social
    media and content on the agency website.

          Please review this material and share with all appropriate
        individuals in your organization. If anyone on your staff
        receives a press inquiry of any kind, it must be referred to me
        so I can coordinate with the appropriate individuals in OPA.

        No press releases will be going out to external audiences.
        No social media will be going out. A Digital Strategist will be
        coming on board to oversee social media. Existing, individually
        controlled, social media accounts may become more centrally
        controlled.
        No blog messages.
        The Beach Team will review the list of upcoming webinars and
        decide which ones will go forward.
        Please send me a list of any external speaking engagements that
        are currently scheduled among any of your staff from today
        through February.
        Incoming media requests will be carefully screened.
        No new content can be placed on any website. Only do clean up
        where essential.
        List servers will be reviewed. Only send out critical messages,
        as messages can be shared broadly and end up in the press.
        I will provide updates to this information as soon as I receive it.

    ("Beach team" refers to staffers for the new administration working
    at the various agencies while new leadership is put in place; "OPA"
    most likely refers to the "Office of Public Affairs.")
      In a report later Monday night, ProPublica confirmed the freeze in
    an interview and reported it also includes EPA contracts. Ebell told
    ProPublica the freeze is to "make sure nothing happens they don't
    want to have happen."
    "This may be a little wider than some previous administrations, but
    it's very similar to what others have done," he said.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/01/23/donald-trump-steps-office-record-number-americans-worried-global-warming/

    As Donald Trump Steps Into Office, Record Number Of Americans Are
    "Very Worried" About Global Warming
    <https://cleantechnica.com/2017/01/23/donald-trump-steps-office-record-number-americans-worried-global-warming/>

CleanTechnica 	 -‎22 hours ago‎

    "Americans also continue to support climate action, as our recent
    report on the*Politics of Global Warming*found," added co-lead
    investigator Edward Maibach, PhD.

http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/climate-change-in-the-american-mind-november-2016/
*Report Summary  Climate Change in the American Mind: November 2016 Yale
Study
<http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/climate-change-in-the-american-mind-november-2016/>*

    Our nationally representative survey conducted shortly after the
    presidential election finds that the number of Americans "very
    worried" about global warming has reached a record high (19%), since
    first measured in 2008. A majority of Americans (61%) say they are
    "very" or "somewhat" worried about global warming – nearly equal to
    the highest level recorded in 2008 (62%). Likewise, Americans
    increasingly view global warming as a threat. Since Spring 2015,
    more Americans think it will harm people in developing countries,
    people in the U.S., future generations, their own family, and
    themselves personally.
    By a three-to-one margin, Americans also say that schools should
    teach children about the causes, consequences, and potential
    solutions to global warming (76% agree vs. 24% who disagree).

*Climate regulations under a watchful internet eye.
<http://newsletters.dailyclimate.org/t/248784/142179/190035/0/>*

Bracing for a rollback, website run by Columbia Law School alerts any
time President Trump or Congress change a rule involving climate change
or energy. InsideClimate News
<http://newsletters.dailyclimate.org/t/248784/142179/190035/0/>.

http://www.globalchange.gov/notices#CSSR
*Climate Science Special Report - Public Comment Period
<http://www.globalchange.gov/notices#CSSR>*

    The CSSR Public Comment Period runs from 15 December 2016 - 3
    February 2017 (revised).
    The U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP) seeks public
    comment on the third-order draft of its Climate Science Special
    Report (CSSR). This special report provides an update to the
    physical climate science presented in the Third National Climate
    Assessment (NCA3) released in 2014, specifically Chapter 2 and
    Appendices 3 and 4. The draft CSSR provides updated climate science
    findings and projections, and is an important input to the authors
    of the next quadrennial NCA (NCA4), expected in 2018.
    http://www.globalchange.gov/nca3-downloads-materials

*Appeal to help save data. *Via the anti-fracking group SAFE in southern
Illinois I was made aware of this appear from Houston on facebook (link:
https://www.facebook.com/37527174/videos/10103697022484476/ )

http://newsletters.dailyclimate.org/t/248784/142179/190049/0/
*Doomsday prep for the super-rich
<http://newsletters.dailyclimate.org/t/248784/142179/190049/0/>*

Some of the wealthiest people in America—in Silicon Valley, New York,
and beyond—are getting ready for the crackup of civilization. New Yorker
<http://newsletters.dailyclimate.org/t/248784/142179/190049/0/>.

    In private Facebook groups, wealthy survivalists swap tips on gas
    masks, bunkers, and locations safe from the effects of climate
    change. One member, the head of an investment firm, told me, "I keep
    a helicopter gassed up all the time, and I have an underground
    bunker with an air-filtration system." He said that his preparations
    probably put him at the "extreme" end among his peers. But he added,
    "A lot of my friends do the guns and the motorcycles and the gold
    coins. That's not too rare anymore."
    Over the years, Huffman has become increasingly concerned about
    basic American political stability and the risk of large-scale
    unrest. He said, "Some sort of institutional collapse, then you just
    lose shipping—that sort of stuff." (Prepper blogs call such a
    scenario W.R.O.L., "without rule of law.") Huffman has come to
    believe that contemporary life rests on a fragile consensus. "I
    think, to some degree, we all collectively take it on faith that our
    country works, that our currency is valuable, the peaceful transfer
    of power—that all of these things that we hold dear work because we
    believe they work. While I do believe they're quite resilient, and
    we've been through a lot, certainly we're going to go through a lot
    more."
    "Anyone who's in this community knows people who are worried that
    America is heading toward something like the Russian Revolution," he
    told me recently.
    As public institutions deteriorate, élite anxiety has emerged as a
    gauge of our national predicament. "Why do people who are envied for
    being so powerful appear to be so afraid?" Johnson asked. "What does
    that really tell us about our system?" He added, "It's a very odd
    thing. You're basically seeing that the people who've been the best
    at reading the tea leaves—the ones with the most resources, because
    that's how they made their money—are now the ones most preparing to
    pull the rip cord and jump out of the plane."
    Why do our dystopian urges emerge at certain moments and not others?
    Doomsday—as a prophecy, a literary genre, and a business
    opportunity—is never static; it evolves with our anxieties. ..
    "I think, in the back of people's minds, frankly, is that, if the
    world really goes to shit, New Zealand is a First World country,
    completely self-sufficient, if necessary—energy, water, food. Life
    would deteriorate, but it would not collapse." ..." American clients
    have also sought strategic advice. "They're asking, 'Where in New
    Zealand is not going to be long-term affected by rising sea levels?'
    "...
    "If I had a billion dollars, I wouldn't buy a bunker," Elli Kaplan,
    the C.E.O. of the digital health startup Neurotrack, told me. "I
    would reinvest in civil society and civil innovation. My view is you
    figure out even smarter ways to make sure that something terrible
    doesn't happen." Kaplan, who worked in the White House under Bill
    Clinton, was appalled by Trump's victory, but said that it
    galvanized her in a different way: "Even in my deepest fear, I say,
    'Our union is stronger than this.' "...
    That view is, in the end, an article of faith—a conviction that even
    degraded political institutions are the best instruments of common
    will, the tools for fashioning and sustaining our fragile consensus.
    Believing that is a choice. ...
    "The easy question is, How do I protect me and mine? The more
    interesting question is, What if civilization actually manages
    continuity as well as it has managed it for the past few centuries?
    What do we do if it just keeps on chugging?"

<http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=40205>*<http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/climate-change-cause-effect/>This
Day in Climate History  January 25
<http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=40205>, 1984  -  from D.R. Tucker
*

    **In his State of the Union Address, President Ronald Reagan says
    something that would be considered highly controversial by the right
    wing today:
    "...[L]et us remember our responsibility to preserve our older
    resources here on Earth. Preservation of our environment is not a
    liberal or conservative challenge, it's common sense."
    https://youtu.be/TdMTTlpfNP4?t=21m52s
    http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=40205

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        **** click-bait free -  URLs clearly represented *-- please
        notify of any discrepancies. ***
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .