[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 26, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for citizens, voters and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jan 26 08:02:23 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming,  Please f//orward this email. January 26, 2017/

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/scientists-march-washington-dc-21111
*Scientists Are Planning the Next Big Washington March
<http://www.climatecentral.org/news/scientists-march-washington-dc-21111>*
Climate Central-6 hours ago

    Last weekend, a massive milieu of women in pink hats descended on
    Washington, D.C. for the Women's March. The next big protest being
    planned for the nation's capital.......The march would be the latest
    in a string of actions taken by scientists following Donald Trump’s
    election and his inauguration as president. His administration has
    been widely viewed as hostile to science — from the transition
    period through hearings for his cabinet nominees through silencing
    key federal science agencies and freezing grants.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_t-6ku13PGmx-V6kbCFkZCg3TSw9nCJ5
*(videos) Roundtable of climate activists, journalists, and scientists -
San Francisco, December 2016
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_t-6ku13PGmx-V6kbCFkZCg3TSw9nCJ5>*

    In an event hosted by Linda Sills and Mike Roddy over 20 climate
    climate activists assembled to share new ideas and renew current
    efforts  - In videos, nine speakers distill the tone and content and
    offer specifics:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_t-6ku13PGmx-V6kbCFkZCg3TSw9nCJ5

    Mary Ellen Harte PhD: Population Control Critical to Solving Climate
    Change <https://youtu.be/U8x8_Y40JNc>  biologist who writes on
    climate change and population issues for the Huffington Post. "We
    can do everything.. but it's not gonna make a damn bit of
    difference... until we get the drivers under control - that's
    population levels"   2:16
    David Fenton on Climate and PR
    <Mary%20Ellen%20%28Mel%29%20Harte%20Ph.D.%20is%20a%20biologist%20who%20writes%20on%20climate%20change%20and%20population%20issues%20for%20the%20Huffington%20Post.>
    Chairman and founder of Fenton Communications, created in 1982 to
    promote issue-oriented public relations campaigns focusing on the
    environment, public health and human rights.  "We need a scientific
    spokesperson and strategy".   5:13
    Pollster Ed Maibach: Public Awareness and Resolve on Climate
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCEvJBCjc4>    George Mason
    University pollster Ed Maibach reflected on what the numbers tell us
    about climate awareness in the US. "We don't solve problems we are
    unwilling to talk about" 4:11
    Jeff Masters on Weather Disasters <https://youtu.be/YeCEvJBCjc4>
    founder of WeatherUnderground talks on the science - actually used
    to fly into hurricanes.  Now a blogger about extreme weather and
    climate change.  "drought is our number one enemy"  5:30
    John Cook on Climate Communication <https://youtu.be/9r0YZ5EtkIg>
    of George Mason University, founder of SkepticalScience.com talks of
    misinformation and denial -  the dark underbelly of climate
    communication - warns of the virulent myth.  Debunking is the health
    clinic treating misinformation.  "It feels like.. we're entering a
    dark age of climate misinformation"  3:12
    Ben Santer PhD on Communicating Science
    <https://youtu.be/JAIuFc84HVE>  atmospheric scientist at Lawrence
    Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). His research focuses on
    climate model evaluations, statistical methods, and identification
    of natural and anthropogenic "fingerprints" in observed climate
    records.  "Do the science necessary to address the criticism!" 4:05
    Peter Sinclair <https://youtu.be/JngPNG-jdAU>  videographer for this
    RoundTable series and Media director of Dark Snow Project,  YouTube
    blogger, explorer and founder of the ClimateCrocks.com website.
    Sinclair urges us to be, "(act) local, (be) vocal and don't back
    down" 3:24
    Dan Miller on the Climate Crisis <https://youtu.be/aKHFzQ7d2JI>
    Dan Miller does clean tech v-capl - he credits extreme weather
    events with alerting an inattentive public about climate issues. As
    Managing Director of the Roda Group.  "There's no chance we can
    avoid 2 degrees - now we have to avoid 4 degrees"   The situation is
    there... we can make the negative into incredible solutions."   3:50
    Sailesh Rao: A New Relationship with Nature
    <https://youtu.be/qoS2HeWdfLY>  Sailesh is Executive Director of
    Climate Healers initiative for Transformations.  " We know we can
    change our relationship with nature... and with other life forms"   2:48

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-bledsoe-climate-costs-20170126-story.html

      *As Trump ignores record temperatures, taxpayers are footing the
      <http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-bledsoe-climate-costs-20170126-story.html>*

Los Angeles Times-2 hours ago

    Global temperatures were the highest on record in 2016 for the third
    straight year, ... hard numbers on the current and future economic
    toll of/global warming/.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-ellen-harte/climate-change-this-week_b_14393638.html
(blog) Climate Change This Week: Trump Fiction Takes Over, So Does
Climate Reality, and More!
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-ellen-harte/climate-change-this-week_b_14393638.html>

    Today, the Earth got a little hotter, and a little more crowded.
    And the chances of Donald Trump’s family and fortune surviving
    climate change are small, dwindling daily and irreversibly.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-administration-orders-epa-to-remove-its-climate-change-web-page1/

      *Trump Administration Orders EPA to Remove Its Climate Change Web
      Page
      <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjBtrzHrN_RAhXowlQKHaCaAvsQqQIIGigAMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scientificamerican.com%2Farticle%2Ftrump-administration-orders-epa-to-remove-its-climate-change-web-page1%2F&usg=AFQjCNHoXV4wYkTsYoU5n5lJWO5gXuoTjQ&sig2=pkISlR-trYrMmtCHzMLJpw&bvm=bv.145063293,d.cGw>*

Scientific American-10 hours ago

    Communications staff were told to remove the agency's webpage
    on/climate//change/, according to two unnamed EPA staff members. The
    move adds to concerns
    "Scientific information about climate change is a public good.
    Taxpayers have a right to the results of research and studies they
    are paying for. The idea that Americans could be cut off from access
    to basic information about what is happening to their environment
    and in their communities is dangerous and appalling," said a former
    EPA official in response to the news reports.
    Meanwhile, EPA's staff has already been told not to issue external
    press releases or post on social media and agency blogs
    (Climatewire, Jan. 24, 2017).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo9-6PNFsgM
(video of graph) Extreme #permafrost warming on #Svalbard (Jan 2017)
:24 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo9-6PNFsgM>

    Permafrost at depth - Since 1999  from Twitter
    https://twitter.com/Ketil_Isaksen/status/823788018213552128

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/01/26/207407/brulle-climate-change-obama-sotu-address/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/50597193#50597193
*This Day in Climate History  January 26, 2011 and 2014
<http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/01/26/207407/brulle-climate-change-obama-sotu-address/>
-  from D.R. Tucker
*

    **January 26, 2011: Prof. Robert Brulle of Drexel University rips
    President Obama for avoiding any specific mention of climate change
    in his 2011 State of the Union Address, noting:
    "What I see going on here is that Obama is following the rhetorical
    advice of David Axelrod and groups like ecoAmerica, who argue that
    the American public is unwilling to deal with climate change.
    "So rather than make the case for climate change and the necessity
    of action, this approach focuses on 'clean' energy and research and
    development as a way to make a transition to a different energy mix.
    This is considered the popular, no pain, 'energy quest' approach
    that relies on a mystical belief in R&D to address climate change.
    The Obama administration appears to have bought this approach
    completely as the politically popular way to address this issue. In
    my opinion, this approach has several major drawbacks, and
    effectively locks in massive and potentially catastrophic global
    climate change."
    http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/01/26/207407/brulle-climate-change-obama-sotu-address/
    January 26, 2013: MSNBC's Chris Hayes praises President Obama's vow
    to combat climate change in his State of the Union address, and
    notes that Obama can take action to cut carbon emissions despite the
    House of Representatives' "depraved kind of denialism" on climate.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/50597193#50597193

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        **** click-bait free -  URLs clearly represented *-- please
        notify of any discrepancies. ***
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .