[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 27, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for citizens, voters and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jan 27 09:08:53 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming,  Please f//orward this email.  January 27, 2017/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/26/cdcs-canceled-climate-change-conference-is-back-on-thanks-to-al-gore/
CDC's canceled climate change conference is back on — thanks to Al Gore
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/26/cdcs-canceled-climate-change-conference-is-back-on-thanks-to-al-gore/>

    It turns out there will be a conference in Atlanta next month about
    climate change and its effects on public health.   It just won't
    have the federal government behind it.   The reason? Former vice
    president Al Gore.
    News of a revived conference comes days after the Centers for
    Disease Control and Prevention abruptly canceled its long-planned
    Climate and Health Summit in the lead-up to the change in White
    House administrations. Benjamin called the move a "strategic
    retreat" given the climate skepticism of the incoming administration.
    The meeting now planned for Feb. 16 will take place outside of any
    government circles.  Rather than at CDC, it will be held at the
    nonprofit Carter Center in Atlanta. It will be a one-day event
    rather than the three days originally planned. Its sponsors now
    include nongovernmental groups such as the Harvard Global Health
    Institute, the Turner Foundation and the Climate Reality Project, an
    education and advocacy group founded by Gore. Organizers say they
    are aiming to attract as many as 200 attendees from around the
    country to talk about the mounting risks to human health posed by
    climate change....
    ... researchers writing in the Lancet last year argued that
    addressing the problem of climate change could be "the greatest
    global health opportunity of this century." Not adequately
    addressing the problem, however, "threatens to undermine the last
    half century of gains in development and global health."

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-exxonmobil-climate-scientist-board.html

    ExxonMobil names climate scientist to its board
    <https://phys.org/news/2017-01-exxonmobil-climate-scientist-board.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    Oil giant ExxonMobil, long criticized over its stance on climate
    change and production of fossil fuels, has appointed a leading
    climate scientist to its board of directors.
    Susan Avery, an atmospheric physicist and former president of the
    famed Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, will join the board of
    the petroleum giant on February 1, the company announced late Wednesday.
    Avery's research priorities have included climate variability, and
    she has said that "Clearly climate science is telling us (to) get
    off fossil fuels as much as possible."
    She has a "keen interest in scientific literacy and the role of
    science in public policy," according to the website for Woods Hole,
    which is based in the northeastern state of Massachusetts.
    ExxonMobil remains a primary target of environmentalists for its
    contribution to fossil fuel consumption. It was the subject of 2015
    investigative reports by environmental news nonprofit Inside Climate
    News and others, charging it "manufactured doubt" about climate
    science even while contradicted by research by its own climate
    scientists.
    ...Earlier this month, a Massachusetts court ruled the oil giant
    must turn over 40 years of documents on climate change, in a win for
    Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, who has described the
    probe as a fraud investigation.
    (Naomi Oreskes, author of "Merchants of Doubt"
    <https://www.amazon.com/Merchants-Doubt-Handful-Scientists-Obscured/dp/1608193942/ref=sr_1_1ords=manufacturing+doubt>
    notes that only ExxonMobil - for decades, spent so much to influence
    public opinion and persisted to manufacture doubt about global
    warming -Naomi Oreskes in a video discussion in December
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMoa_dqBdc>.
    https://www.amazon.com/Merchants-Doubt-Handful-Scientists-Obscured/dp/1608193942/ref=sr_1_1ords=manufacturing+doubt
    and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMoa_dqBdc )

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/symbolic-doomsday-clock-moves-closer-to-midnight/ar-AAmhcYy
*Doomsday Clock: Countdown to catastrophe?  - now *
<http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/symbolic-doomsday-clock-moves-closer-to-midnight/ar-AAmhcYy>*23:57:30
<http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/symbolic-doomsday-clock-moves-closer-to-midnight/ar-AAmhcYy>*

    26 January 2017  The minute hand on the Doomsday Clock is a metaphor
    for how vulnerable the world is to catastrophe.
    Amid concerns over climate change, the clock has been close to
    midnight for the past few years.
    "Never before has the Bulletin decided to advance the clock largely
    because of the statements of a single person," two scientists at the
    Bulletin, Lawrence Krauss and David Titley, said in an opinion piece
    published by The New York Times.  "But when that person is the new
    president of the United States, his words matter....The minute-hand
    on the clock was moved amid concerns about "a rise in strident
    nationalism worldwide, President Donald Trump's comments on nuclear
    arms and climate issues, a darkening global security landscape that
    is colored by increasingly sophisticated technology, and a growing
    disregard for scientific expertise," the group said in a statement

"On pipelines, Donald Trump looks backward (New York Times, Bill
McKibben op-ed
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=3c9ea1e7e6&e=95b355344d>
$)

Strangling nation's huge climate policy machine won't be easy for Trump
(InsideClimate News, Johh Cushman Jr, Lisa Song & Zahra Hirji analysis
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=40634ec9b1&e=95b355344d>)

The Keystone pipeline will create just 35 permanent jobs. Don't believe
the lies (The Guardian, Raúl M Grijalva op-ed
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=3b579e4dd6&e=95b355344d>)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-26/trump-wants-to-downplay-global-warming-louisiana-won-t-let-him
Trump Wants to Downplay /Global Warming/. Louisiana Won't Let Him
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-26/trump-wants-to-downplay-global-warming-louisiana-won-t-let-him>

    Bloomberg-  Trees stick out of a marsh in Venice, La. Sea-level rise
    threatens the future of homes and businesses in Plaquemines Parish
    and surrounding coastal areas.

http://www.powerengineeringint.com/articles/2017/01/world-meteorological-organization-reiterates-global-warming-message.html
*World Meteorological Organization reiterates global warming message
<http://www.powerengineeringint.com/articles/2017/01/world-meteorological-organization-reiterates-global-warming-message.html>*

    The World Meteorological Organization is standing over the data
    recently released, which is reinforcing the message that man-made
    activities are contributing to adverse global climate change.
    Clare Nullis, spokesperson for the WMO told Power Engineering
    International her organisation was not in agreement with dissent on
    the findings expressed by former Innogy chief Dr Fritz Vahrenholt,
    who claimed that El Nino was the true cause of temperature changes.
    Last week Vahrenholt was dismissive of the science propelling what
    he believes is a disastrous energy policy, Energiewende, in his home
    country, Germany. Data produced by the UK Met Office, Nasa and Noaa
    confirmed the link between human activity and global warming.
    Carbon dioxide and methane concentrations surged to new records.
    Both contribute to climate change. The Arctic is /warming/ twice as
    fast as the /global/ average...

*The Resistance Also Wears Lab Coats: *Planned resistance to President
Trump's anti-climate agenda grew Wednesday, as social media accounts
proposing a scientists' march on Washington garnered significant media
attention and thousands of new followers. The People's Climate Movement
also announced Wednesday they will be hosting a multi-coalition march on
DC in late April, building off its 2014 march in New York City that drew
over 400,000 people. And high above DC, Greenpeace activists climbed a
crane downtown to hang a banner flying over the White House reading
"Resist." (Scientists march: Washington Post
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=a2ebb4aee9&e=95b355344d>
$, The Hill
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=d7fdccb6e4&e=95b355344d>,
Climate Central
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=2dbbe95dc2&e=95b355344d>.
Climate march: Huffington Post
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=4a12f09c4e&e=95b355344d>,
Greenwire
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=35fc740bbf&e=95b355344d>
$, DCist
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=077874dedd&e=95b355344d>.
Greenpeace: New York Times
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=64e65fe475&e=95b355344d>
$, Washington Post
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=b4f563eb73&e=95b355344d>
$, TIME
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=1751670de6&e=95b355344d>.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMoa_dqBdc
(Video )A Discussion with Naomi Oreskes & Steven Chu (December 2016)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMoa_dqBdc>

    Everyone will be affected.
    *"It could be bad, it could be really bad, or it could be catastrophic"*
    The high risks are to the collapse of agriculture, producing of
    food, water supply, sea level rise (which is a slower change)
    Oreskes says there's  "Three things we can do: Stop building the
    fossil fuel infrastructure, eliminate subsides for fossil fuels, put
    a price on carbon"

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jan/26/we-may-be-closer-than-we-thought-to-dangerous-climate-thresholds
We may be closer than we thought to dangerous climate thresholds
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jan/26/we-may-be-closer-than-we-thought-to-dangerous-climate-thresholds>

    The Guardian-2 hours ago
    We don't want the Earth to warm more than 1.5–2°C (2.7-3.6°F)
    compared to the pre-industrial climate. These targets are not
    magical; they are expert judgements about what it takes to avoid
    some of the more serious effects of climate change. We know the seas
    will rise (they already are). We know droughts and flooding will get
    more severe (they already are). We know there will be more heat
    waves, more intense storms, and ocean acidification (all happening
    now). We cannot stop some of the changes. But if we keep climate
    change to these limits, we think we can avoid the worst effects.
    First, they attempted to select a period prior to significant
    /global warming/ – before many greenhouse gases and land changes
    occurred. Second, it would be best ...

http://modernfarmer.com/2017/01/gag-order-not-heres-trump-cracking-government-science-scary/

    Gag Order Or Not, Here's Why Trump Cracking Down On Government
    Science is So Scary
    <http://modernfarmer.com/2017/01/gag-order-not-heres-trump-cracking-government-science-scary/>

Modern Farmer 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    ...the administration on Monday directed the USDA to stop all
    "outward-facing" communications. But by Tuesday night, the gag-order
    had been "rescinded." So what's going on? And what could happen if
    scientists can't speak to the public?
    It all started yesterday, when BuzzFeed obtained a memo distributed
    on Monday within the USDA's Agricultural Research Service (ARS). The
    memo was written by Sharon Drumm, chief of staff for ARS, and it
    informed the more than 2,000 ARS scientists—who study everything
    from methane emissions to the economy of rural America and have a
    major focus on climate change—to, essentially, keep quiet. Here's
    the text, provided to Modern Farmer by the Christopher Bentley,
    director of the office of communications at ARS:
    "Starting immediately and until further notice, ARS will not release
    any public-facing documents. This includes, but is not limited to,
    news releases, photos, fact sheets, news feeds, and social media
    content."
    According to reports today, however, a second email went out to ARS
    late Tuesday evening stating that Drumm's note should have never
    been issued and has been "hereby rescinded."
    Wait, what?

https://library.ecc-platform.org/publications/climate-fragility-risks-global-perspective
https://climateandsecurity.org/2017/01/26/g7-workshop-on-climate-change-fragility-and-international-security-in-tokyo/
*Climate-Fragility Risks - The Global Perspective
<https://library.ecc-platform.org/publications/climate-fragility-risks-global-perspective>*

    Climate change is the ultimate threat multiplier. It will aggravate
    fragility, contribute to social upheaval and even violent conflicts.
    The problem is the seven compound risks that emerge when the impacts
    of climate change interact with problems that many weak states are
    already facing. Single-sector interventions alone will not suffice
    to deal with the systemic nature of compound climate-fragility
    risks. Integrating policies and programmes in three key
    sectors—climate change adaptation, development and humanitarian aid,
    and peacebuilding—are crucial to help strengthen resilience to
    climate-fragility risks and achieve significant co-benefits.

>     The papers are available in English as well as Japanese (日本語) and
>     can be accessed here:
>
>       * Climate-Fragility Risks – The Global Perspective
>         <https://library.ecc-platform.org/publications/climate-fragility-risks-global-perspective>
>       * Climate Fragility Risks in Japan
>         <https://library.ecc-platform.org/publications/climate-fragility-risks-japan>
>       * Climate-Fragility Risks in Asia – The Development Nexus
>         <https://library.ecc-platform.org/publications/climate-fragility-risks-asia-development-nexus>
>       * Foreign Policy Implications of Climate-Fragility Risks for
>         Japan
>         <https://library.ecc-platform.org/publications/foreign-policy-implications-climate-fragility-risks-japan>
>       * Climate and Fragility-Risks in Japanese Development
>         Cooperation: Implications of Adaptation and Peacebuilding
>         Experiences
>         <https://library.ecc-platform.org/publications/climate-and-fragility-risks-japanese-development-cooperation-implications-adaptation>
>       * Workshop Documentation: Climate-Fragility Risks in Japan and
>         the Asia-Pacific Region
>         <https://www.climate-diplomacy.org/publications/workshop-documentation-climate-fragility-risks-japan-and-asia-pacific-region>

    Responding to the global strategic threat posed by climate change is
    too great a task for any single
    government. The G7 have started by committing to respond to one of
    the great challenges of our time
    and taken first steps by deepening cooperation amongst themselves
    and the national level.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/25/powerful-images-show-impact-of-global-warming-on-greenlands-ice-sheet-6405627/
*Powerful images show impact of /global warming/ on Greenland's ice
sheet
<http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/25/powerful-images-show-impact-of-global-warming-on-greenlands-ice-sheet-6405627/>*

    Metro-The overwhelming impact of /global warming/ on Greenland's
    enormous ice sheet has been documented in a series of powerful
    images. Photographer Timo Lieber took the pictures while flying over
    the 695,000 square mile expanse and has now put them on display in
    London.
    'I visited the scientists in the camp on the ice cap and was
    overwhelmed by the scale of the landscape and the enormity of
    associated problems.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/01/25/white-house-fires-back-amid-claims-it-told-epa-to-erase-climate-change.html
*White House Fires Back Amid Claims it Told EPA to Erase Climate Change*
<http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/01/25/white-house-fires-back-amid-claims-it-told-epa-to-erase-climate-change.html>

Fox Business

    Reuters was the first to report that Trump's team instructed EPA's
    communications team to remove links containing scientific *global
    warming* research, ...

http://www.ibtimes.com/trump-climate-change-president-tells-epa-scrap-global-warming-page-website-bans-2480891
*Trump On Climate Change: President Tells EPA To Scrap Global Warming
Page From Website, Bans Agency From Tweeting, Speaking To Press
<http://www.ibtimes.com/trump-climate-change-president-tells-epa-scrap-global-warming-page-website-bans-2480891>*

    International Business Times
    Myron Ebell, who was in charge of the EPA transition for the Trump
    administration, confirmed the *news* to ProPublica. ... to
    scientific studies proving the existence of human-induced *global
    warming* and data on carbon emissions.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/01/25/510571835/if-these-trees-dont-get-time-to-chill-farmers-will-be-out-on-a-limb
*If These Trees Don't Get Time To Chill, Farmers Will Be Out On A Limb
<http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/01/25/510571835/if-these-trees-dont-get-time-to-chill-farmers-will-be-out-on-a-limb>*

NPR-17 hours ago

    Crops have failed because of warming temperatures. ... "I know that
    there are people that think that /global warming/ is not man made,
    but regardless we have to .

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/letters/2017/01/26/can-just-adapt-our-way-free-global-warming-impact/grLSh9buJIbqfs8gMJghDM/story.html
*(letter) We can't just adapt our way free of global warming's impact
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/letters/2017/01/26/can-just-adapt-our-way-free-global-warming-impact/grLSh9buJIbqfs8gMJghDM/story.html>*

    The Boston Globe-5 hours ago
    David Abel's article on the rising sea level in Palm Beach, Fla.,
    highlights the tension between adaptation to the present-day effects
    of climate change and ..
    But the crucial thing to acknowledge here is that we can't allow
    urgent adaptation demands to distract us from the need to redouble
    our efforts at mitigation. The case of Mar-a-Lago, Donald Trump's
    Florida estate, signals that a failure to drastically reduce our
    greenhouse gas emissions today may result in the consequences of
    climate change overwhelming our ability to adapt to it successfully
    in the future.

http://youtu.be/x70eamuF8EA
http://youtu.be/vg_qI3yzCLk*
This Day in Climate History  January 27, 1998, 2000
<http://youtu.be/x70eamuF8EA> -  from D.R. Tucker*

    January 27, 1998: In his State of the Union address, President
    Clinton declares, "Our overriding environmental challenge tonight is
    the worldwide problem of climate change, global warming, the
    gathering crisis that requires worldwide action. The vast majority
    of scientists have concluded unequivocally that if we don’t reduce
    the emission of greenhouse gases, at some point in the next century,
    we’ll disrupt our climate and put our children and grandchildren at
    risk." http://youtu.be/x70eamuF8EA
    January 27, 2000: In his State of the Union address, President
    Clinton declares, "The greatest environmental challenge of the new
    century is global warming. The scientists tell us the 1990′s were
    the hottest decade of the entire millennium. If we fail to reduce
    the emission of greenhouse gases, deadly heat waves and droughts
    will become more frequent, coastal areas will flood, and economies
    will be disrupted. That is going to happen, unless we act. Many
    people in the United States, some people in this Chamber, and lots
    of folks around the world still believe you cannot cut greenhouse
    gas emissions without slowing economic growth. In the industrial
    age, that may well have been true. But in this digital economy, it
    is not true anymore." http://youtu.be/vg_qI3yzCLk

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        **** click-bait free -  URLs clearly represented *-- please
        notify of any discrepancies. ***
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .