[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 28, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for citizens, voters and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jan 28 11:01:28 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming,  Please forward this email //January 28, 2017/

http://www.ecowatch.com/ebell-epa-purge-2218823381.html

    Ebell: Purge Necessary at EPA to Rid 'Scientists Who Believe
    the*Global Warming*Alarmist Agenda'
    <http://www.ecowatch.com/ebell-epa-purge-2218823381.html>

EcoWatch 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    Ebell, who told the AP that the federal government has "been staffed
    with scientists who believe the*global*-*warming*alarmist agenda,"
    floated the idea of downsizing EPA from 15,000 to 5,000 employees as
    an "aspirational goal" but acknowledged that*...

    *

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/874535

    (opinion) Is*Global Warming*a Greater Threat to Health Than Nuclear
    War? <http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/874535>

Medscape 	 -‎Jan 26, 2017‎

    My earliest recollection of*global warming*as a health issue dates
    from January 17, 1996, when we at JAMA led an international group of
    36 journals in 21 countries on all continents to publish
    concurrently more than 200 articles on the theme of*...*
    *....Surely, the medical and public health communities are working
    really hard to prevent such a catastrophe? Sorry. Guess again. For
    the most part, physicians and their organizations seem to be
    ignoring the threat, preferring to fight over issues like
    malpractice or the size of their fees, in effect rearranging the
    deck chairs on this sinking Titanic while exercising denial. But
    don't the doctors care about their great-great-great-grandchildren?
    Looks like they may never have any. You have got to be kidding. The
    risks must be overblown! Hope so; don't think so; ohmygod!....*
    *This is not an issue to be dealt with by measuring the quarterly
    shareholder reports of capitalism's lions. Nor is it an issue upon
    which to cast doubt à la the tobacco industry's great success at
    delaying tactics. The basic science has been settled for a long
    time. The applied science determining the best ways forward can
    benefit from ongoing research and new engineering...*
    *Worst-case scenario: If all of the fossil fuels are burnt, a rise
    in the sea level of some 200 feet is likely, but this would take
    hundreds of years. Thinking only about your lives and the lives of
    your children and grandchildren is natural but so selfish. We should
    be thinking about all life, human and other, forever, on planet
    Earth, writ large. The human animal and various world cultures can
    deal with this, but enlightened leadership will be required in large
    doses. If we can make positive energy economics the driver, the
    human race has a fighting chance.*
    *That is my opinion. I am Dr George Lundberg, at large at Medscape.*

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/climatechange/137-years-of-global-temperature-change-in-under-1-minute/70000692

      *137 Years of/Global/Temperature change in under 1 minute
      <http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/climatechange/137-years-of-global-temperature-change-in-under-1-minute/70000692>*

AccuWeather.com (blog)-2 hours ago

    The video link below shows the changes in global temperature
    departures since ... The/global warming/“pause,” which Berkeley
    Earth had always stressed was ...
    The Japanese Meteorological Agency also released their annual global
    temperature data, which goes back to 1890.
    Berkeley Earth have also proclaimed that 2016 was the warmest year
    on record in their database.
    The global warming “pause,” which Berkeley Earth had always stressed
    was not statistically significant, now appears clearly to have been
    a temporary fluctuation. according to the Berkeley Earth blog.

.http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/
*Dr James Hansen and The Peaceful Revolutionary Party
<http://www.columbia.edu/%7Ejeh1/>*

    Fixing this problem is not rocket science. The solution can be
    simple and transparent....with ... emphasis on political
    implications...is the need for a third party, distinct from present
    inept minor parties.  I noted the ... need in my Ridenhour remarks
    and in a Communication. David Brooks had a superb article on the
    need for a third party in the New York Times on November 8, 2016.
    Party organization and procedures should elevate issues above
    personality, and the authority of a Nominee for President should be
    constrained.
    ....if in a few years the two major parties remain uncompromising
    and unsupportive of a carbon fee, it would not surprise me if
    Citizens Climate Lobby became a major force for a centrist third party.
    Everybody is welcome to join Citizens Climate Lobby -- a link to an
    introductory call is at http://www.tfaforms.com/275537. Their summer
    conference in Washington this year is 23-25 June; registration is at
    http://citizensclimatelobby.org/2013-international-conference

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/01/scientists-march-on-washington-national-parks-twitter-war-climate-science-donald-trump/
*3 Things You Need to Know About the Science Rebellion Against Trump
<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/01/scientists-march-on-washington-national-parks-twitter-war-climate-science-donald-trump/>*

--- MUZZLING AGENCIES INSPIRES A SCIENTISTS' MARCH ON WASHINGTON

    Doubters of science in general date to Galileo. Climate scientists
    have been an outspoken voice for as long as the government has been
    studying climate science.

---  THE PARK SERVICE BECAME THE UNLIKELY HERO OF THE 'REBELLION'

    The Park Service is one of the least controversial and most popular
    federal agencies because its primary task is to take care of the
    nation’s parks. But in the wake of the flap about the size of the
    inauguration crowd, a former Park Service employee at the Badlands
    National Park in North Dakota defied President Trump—setting off a
    broader resistance that quickly spread to other federal agencies.

--  A GLIMMER OF HOPE?

    It’s still early and missteps are not uncommon as new
    administrations get up and running. The contract freeze at the EPA
    may, in the end, turn out to be "a tempest in a teapot," Doniger
    says. Although signals so far have put the scientific community on
    red alert, it may be too early to reach any conclusion other than
    the administration’s start-up is in disarray.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/01/25/parody-parks-service-twitter-takes-aim-trump/97051652/
*Parody parks service Twitter takes aim at Trump
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/01/25/parody-parks-service-twitter-takes-aim-trump/97051652/>*

    On Tuesday, someone started tweeting from the @AltUSNatParkService
    <https://twitter.com/altnatparkser> handle, a no-holds-barred parody
    of the federal department in charge of our wondrous national parks.
    Among its first tweets was a pointed challenge to the new commander
    in chief.

http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/futurama-great-bit-global-warming-remember
(satire cartoon) Futurama Did a Great Bit on Global Warming Back in the
Day
<http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/futurama-great-bit-global-warming-remember>

    For all those people out there who don’t believe in climate change,
    perhaps watching a cartoon might change your mind.  This was a bit
    done on the show Futurama. It's in a 50s style type of public
    service message format. You'll notice that it’s not only
    informative, but clearly adds a nice humor factor as well.
    Right off the bat we get a laugh when little Suzy walks out of the
    ice cream shop only to see her cone melt right before her eyes.
    Luckily someone is there to explain the situation to her.  While
    Suzy may have thought foreigners were the culprit for her ice cream
    turning into a liquid stain on the concrete, Futurama is there to
    remind us that it’s in fact global warming that melted her treat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SYpUSjSgFg

    Reaching*global warming*targets under ice-free Arctic summers
    requires zero emissions by 2045
    <https://phys.org/news/2017-01-global-ice-free-arctic-summers-requires.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    Ice-albedo feedback as a result of sea-ice melting, notably in the
    Arctic, is known to reinforce*global warming*. What is less known,
    however, is the impact of a no-summer ice scenario on the world's
    ambition to maintain*global warming*below 2°C by 2100.

    *Global warming*could increase levels of toxic mercury in fish,
    experts warn
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/global-warming-climate-change-increased-toxic-mercury-levels-fish-a7549651.html>

The Independent 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    *Global warming*could lead to raised levels of toxic mercury in the
    fish we eat, new research suggests. Increased rainfall and melting
    snow and ice is expected to increase the flow of organic matter into
    aquatic ecosystems in large parts of the northern ..

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-underestimate-future-tropical-mountains.html

      Climate models may underestimate future/warming/on tropical ...
      <https://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-underestimate-future-tropical-mountains.html>

Phys.Org-3 hours ago

    Questions among scientists about how/global warming/affects tropical
    high elevations date back about 30 years. In 1985, influential
    research by Brown geologist ...

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2017/01/25/judith-curry-is-in-with-the-koch-brothers/
*Judith Curry Is In With The Koch Brothers
<http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2017/01/25/judith-curry-is-in-with-the-koch-brothers/>*

    Judith Curry, climate scientist turned anti-climate change activist
    (more or less) has joined the Koch Brothers front group “Cause of
    Action <http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Cause_of_Action>“.
    How do we know this? Because she has filed anAmicus Brief
    (2017.01.25 Mot. for Leave to File, Nos. 14-cv-101 14-cv-126
    (D.C.))(
    <http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/files/2017/01/2017.01.25-Mot.-for-Leave-to-File-Nos.-14-cv-101-14-cv-126-D.C..pdf>on
    behalf of the National Review and the Competitive Enterprise
    Institute in the case of Mann vs. Those Guys, with council at Cause
    of Action Institute.
    Go read the brief. It is pretty nasty.
    Also related, this:2017.01.25 Br. of Amicus Dr. Judith A. Curry Nos.
    14-cv-101 14-cv-126 (D.C.)
    <http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/files/2017/01/2017.01.25-Br.-of-Amicus-Dr.-Judith-A.-Curry-Nos.-14-cv-101-14-cv-126-D.C..pdf>.
    Have at it.

<http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/06/30/3453277/oil-spill-heard-round-the-world/>**This
Day in Climate History  January 28, 1969
<http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/06/30/3453277/oil-spill-heard-round-the-world/>-
from D.R. Tucker
**

    The notorious Santa Barbara, California oil spill takes place.
    http://youtu.be/jqd_VTADHzM
    http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/06/30/3453277/oil-spill-heard-round-the-world/

*** *               =======================  ####
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        **** click-bait free -  URLs clearly represented *-- please
        notify of any discrepancies. ***
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address.  Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .