[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 29, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for citizens, voters and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Jan 29 08:34:34 EST 2017

/"The most important issue of all time" -/ /Stay well-informed about
global warming,  Please f//orward this email.  January 29, 2017 /

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/wests-largest-coal-plant-may-close-21117
*The West's Largest Coal Plant May Close. It’s a Big Deal
<http://www.climatecentral.org/news/wests-largest-coal-plant-may-close-21117>*

    The largest coal-fired power plant in the West — one of the biggest
    climate polluters in the nation — could close later this year, a
    major symbolic blow to the future of coal as the backbone of
    America’s electric power grid...
    The owners of Arizona's Navajo Generating Station northeast of the
    Grand Canyon announced in early January that low natural gas prices
    and the rising costs of generating electricity using coal make it
    too expensive to operate the plant.  A decision on the plant’s fate
    is expected this spring...
    It is America's seventh-largest single source of the carbon dioxide
    emissions driving climate change. Its closure would relieve Arizona
    of a source of pollution long targeted by federal regulators for
    contributing to regional haze and poor air quality over the Grand
    Canyon...
    "It's going to be difficult for Trump to be both pro-natural gas and
    pro-coal at the same time, unless he intends to directly subsidize
    coal plants or find other markets for U.S. coal," Regan said.

http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/251284279/eu-economy-suffering-the-worst-ever-impact-due-to-global-warming

      *EU economy suffering the worst ever impact due to/global warming/
      <http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/251284279/eu-economy-suffering-the-worst-ever-impact-due-to-global-warming>*

Big News Network.com-11 hours ago

    BRUSSELS, Belgium - The impact of extreme weather on Europe's
    economy has risen sharply since the 1980s. According to a new
    report, it is further set to worsen as the impact of global warming
    comes to the fore.
    According to the European Environment Agency (EEA), the extreme
    weather has caused 85,000 deaths, which nearly amounts to 393
    billion euros between 1980 and 2016.
    The findings were revealed in a report titled ‘Climate Change,
    impacts and vulnerability in Europe.’
    The report places annual damages at nearly 7.6 billion euros in the
    1980s - with the figure witnessing a steep rise of 80 percent,
    reaching 13.7 billion euros by the 2000s..

https://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/28/the-weekend-wonk-trump-war-on-science-sparks-backlash/
*The Weekend Wonk: Trump War on Science Sparks Backlash
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/01/28/the-weekend-wonk-trump-war-on-science-sparks-backlash/>*

    The events of the past week have been worrying to advocates of
    government action on climate change, with the removal of climate
    priorities from the White House website, the order to freeze all
    Environmental Protection Agency contracts and the inauguration of a
    president who said he is "not a big believer" in the fact that
    humans have played a role in changing Earth's climate...
    But these events have also been very good for website traffic...
    According to data from analytics.usa.gov, which tracks Web traffic
    on all .gov websites, several pages related to climate change have
    been extremely popular in the week since President Trump's inauguration.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/why-politicians-cant-solve-climate-change-53099.html
(opinion)*Why politicians can't solve climate change*

    ...effective democracy does presume that people understand the
    implications of the policies that their governments pursue. A
    successful society needs an electorate that is informed, critical
    and motivated to participate in the political process....
    The political process works less well when a country is led by
    popularist politicians offering sound-bite policies to an electorate
    that is poorly informed...
    Do people believe that the current trajectory of climate change
    could pass a tipping point within fifteen years, beyond which, the
    impact of climate change could become irreversible? Probably not,
    because if they did, then we would expect them to be demanding
    governments do something about it....
    There are three more questions we should ask ourselves: Could global
    warming cause the collapse of human civilization?  If yes, can it be
    avoided? And finally, the tricky one, do we have confidence that our
    political leaders will take the brave decisions needed to avert
    catastrophe?  The answers to these questions are:  Yes. Maybe. Only
    if the electorate understand the issues and demand that government
    take action...
    Climate change is a reality, the major causes are man-made and
    preventing a global catastrophe is not simply a technological
    problem but a social engagement problem. Governments urgently need
    to initiate a process of 'participative change', enabling the
    electorate to understand the issues, support the transition to a low
    carbon future and become advocates for change. Unfortunately, many
    governments are either ignoring the issue – or actively promoting
    policies that deny climate change. Neither of these two options are
    sustainable political strategies....
    So, here we are in 2017.  The UN has overseen twenty years of talks,
    prevarication and empty promises until finally we are offered the
    "breakthrough" of a voluntary target that is guaranteed to exceed
    the critical threshold. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that even
    these inadequate targets will be met, primarily because most
    governments are reluctant to implement the necessary action to
    reduce carbon emissions as this would risk upsetting various vested
    interests...
      Preventing further increases in global temperatures is not
    primarily a technical problem – we have the capability to
    dramatically cut carbon emissions – it is a social engagement
    problem. Our task now is to build the capability to engage the
    electorate in a complex debate that touches on all aspects of our
    society, our values and our relationship with the natural environment.

http://portside.org/2017-01-28/war-and-warming-can-we-save-planet-without-taking-pentagon
*(essay) War and Warming: Can We Save the Planet Without Taking on the
Pentagon?
<http://portside.org/2017-01-28/war-and-warming-can-we-save-planet-without-taking-pentagon>*

    *Author:  H Patricia Hynes*
    Oil is indispensable for war and militarism. Think of it as the
    lifeblood coursing through our foreign policy, a policy based on
    maintaining superpower status and confronting those whom we perceive
    as challenging us.
    ....Climate change is inevitably an issue of peace because the
    Pentagon is the single largest contributor of climate change
    emissions in the world. And as the Pentagon goes, so go the military
    budgets of other major powers. ..
    War for oil has come home. Militarized North Dakota police attacked
    non-violent water protectors protesting the Dakota Access oil
    pipeline with rubber bullets, tear gas, concussion grenades, and
    water cannons in sub-freezing temperatures. One medic treating
    injuries described it as a "low grade war."...
    What's clear from US spending priorities is that access to oil and
    military dominance has governed US policy in the world. Add to this
    a thin-skinned bully as president surrounding himself with generals
    and we will likely get into deeper displays of male dominance.
    Foreign policy advisor to both Presidents Bush, Philip Zelikow, put
    it bluntly. With President Trump's "ambient prickliness, we could
    end up picking a fight with three quarters of the world."...
    Between 2003 and 2007, the Iraq war generated more carbon dioxide
    equivalent in greenhouse gas emissions each year of the war than 139
    of the world's countries release annually. Re-building Iraqi (and
    Syrian and Yemeni) schools, homes, businesses, bridges, roads, and
    hospitals pulverized by the war will require millions of tons of
    cement, the most fossil fuel intensive of all manufacturing
    industries....
    ... assume that the rest of world's military spending, weapons
    manufacturing, military exercises, and conflict combine to bring
    military-related fossil fuel emissions to near 15 percent of global
    climate change pollution? Intensifying military tensions will drive
    it higher and could vitiate country commitments to the Paris climate
    agreement.
    ...The Syrian scholar Suzanne Saleeby notes that "escalating
    pressures on urban areas due to internal migration, increasing food
    insecurity, and resultant high rates of unemployment have spurred
    many Syrians to make their political grievances publicly known. in
    popular uprisings..."
    ..... The entire Middle East inexorably faces a hotter, drier
    climate from climate change that will further stress water
    resources, agriculture, food prices and existing conflicts. Thus,
    the seeds of future conflicts in authoritarian and unequal societies
    may also include scarce water resources as farmers and thirsty
    people, opportunistic politicians and powerful corporations contend
    for that diminishing resource....
    The US habit and competence for war, with its origins in the past
    annihilation of Native Americans, may be our society's nemesis
    unless we do critical soul-searching about our cultural and personal
    values and actively engage in transforming them. ...
    [This piece originated in talks given to 350.org CT and Promoting
    Enduring Peace, New Haven; Women's International League for Peace
    and Justice, Boston branch; and the Women's Pentagon Action 2016 Forum.]

https://neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov/csb/index.php?section=234
*Current State of the Sea Ice Cover -- NASA Cryosphere
<https://neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov/csb/index.php?section=234>*

    The sea ice cover is one of the key components of the polar climate
    system. It has been a focus of attention in recent years, largely
    because of a strong decrease in the Arctic sea ice cover and
    modeling results that indicate that global warming could be
    amplified in the Arctic on account of ice-albedo feedback. This
    results from the high reflectivity (albedo) of the sea ice compared
    to ice-free waters. (see the)...The plots and color-coded maps
    <https://neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov/csb/index.php?section=234>
    Sea ice extent is the integral sum of the areas of all grid cells
    with at least 15% ice concentration, while sea ice area is the
    integral sum of the product of ice concentration and area of all
    grid cells with at least 15% ice concentration.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/go-bag-prepare-natural-disaster-apocalypse/

      *​Be ready for a natural disaster (or the apocalypse) with a go
      bag
      <https://www.cnet.com/how-to/go-bag-prepare-natural-disaster-apocalypse/>*

CNET-10 hours ago

    /Global warming/has made weather patterns unpredictable and
    dangerous. Mix that with the current civil unrest around the world
    and you could have all the...reasons why you may need to flee your
    home to find new shelter at a moment's notice:
    Earthquake
    Tornado or hurricane
    Flash flood
    Wild fire
    Mud slide
    Ice storm
    Zombie apocalypse (just kidding... maybe)
    What kind of bag is best?
    The City of Chicago recommends that each member of your household
    have their own go bag. If you're the parent of small children,
    however, you can use one big bag to hold everything you and your
    children need.
    Remember, the best kind of bag is the kind you can carry. Don't get
    a huge duffle bag unless you're very strong and can heft it. Also,
    you want a bag that will fit easily in your transport. You don't
    want one that's so big you'll have to leave one of the kids behind
    to take it with you....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/business/energy-environment/navigating-climate-change-in-americas-heartland.html

      *In America's Heartland, Discussing/Climate Change/Without Saying
      Climate Change
      <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/business/energy-environment/navigating-climate-change-in-americas-heartland.html>*

New York Times-13 hours ago

    In short, he is a/climate change/realist. Just don't expect him to
    utter the words "/climate change/." "If politicians want to exhaust
    themselves debating the climate,...
    Carl Priesendorf, a science teacher at Metropolitan Community
    College in Kansas City, Mo., has learned strategies to talk about
    climate change without completely alienating climate skeptics. He
    teaches geology and meteorology. Those subjects would usually be
    innocuous, but not here....
    “I’d show the CO2 data — how we’d had the hottest year on record,”
    Mr. Priesendorf said. “But I get students who basically say what I’m
    teaching is nonsense. My car’s been keyed. I get notes from students
    saying they’re praying for my soul.” One such note that he shared
    reads, “Know that God’s love surpasses knowledge.”

  ..

    Koch political network to spend $300M to $400M over 2 years
    <https://www.yahoo.com/news/koch-political-network-spend-300m-400m-over-2-001528120--election.html>

Yahoo News 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP) -- The conservative Koch network plans to
    spend between $300 million and $400 million to influence politics
    and public policy over the next two years, intensifying its
    nationwide efforts in the initial years of Donald Trump's ...

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/28/no-one-size-fits-all-solution-food-security-looks-very-different-depending-on-where-you-are-sitting_partner/

      *No one-size-fits-all solution: Food security looks very different
      depending on where you are sitting.
      <http://www.salon.com/2017/01/28/no-one-size-fits-all-solution-food-security-looks-very-different-depending-on-where-you-are-sitting_partner/>*

Salon-7 hours ago

    The only definite is that the West needs to learn to consume — and
    waste — less
    *Climate change*: Our ability to provide food for this growing
    population will be seriously affected by the changing climate.
    Current predictions for/global//warming/ are for an increase in
    temperature ranging from 0.6℃ to 4℃ use sy by 2099. The Paris
    climate agreement sets out a global action plan to limit global
    warming this century to 2℃. This will be a difficult target to
    achieve ...
    Population growth: The current global population is 7.4 billion and
    it is growing rapidly. We are expected to reach 8.5 billion by 2030,
    9.7 billion in 2050 and 11.2 billion in 2100.
    Malnutrition: Today the world faces a double burden of malnutrition
    that includes both under-nutrition and obesity. In 2015, more than
    1.9 billion adults worldwide were overweight while 462m were
    underweight.
    Solutions..Given these issues, different countries will need
    different solutions....One technological solution is to develop
    drought-resistant crops, although the efficacy of this is debated.
    The issue here is not the technology but how to distribute it...

      *Activists gather for/climate change/meeting in Northampton
      <http://www.westernmassnews.com/story/34370619/activists-gather-for-climate-change-meeting-in-northampton>*

WESTERNMASSNEWS.com-36 minutes ago

    Activists in Northampton gathered at the First Churches to voice
    their concerns over the future of our planet. "We're getting moving,
    and we're getting active," said ...

http://www.uniindia.com/ancient-indus-civilization-s-adaptation-to-climate-change/science-technology/news/763638.html

      Ancient Indus civilization's adaptation to/climate change/
      <http://www.uniindia.com/ancient-indus-civilization-s-adaptation-to-climate-change/science-technology/news/763638.html>

United News of India-7 hours ago

    With/climate change/in our own era becoming increasingly evident,
    it's natural to wonder how our ancestors may have dealt with similar
    environmental ...

http://www.alternet.org/environment/how-trump-could-make-deadly-flesh-eating-bacteria-spread-again-video

      (scapegoating) How Trump Could Make a Deadly Flesh-Eating Bacteria
      Spread, Again (video)
      <http://www.alternet.org/environment/how-trump-could-make-deadly-flesh-eating-bacteria-spread-again-video>

AlterNet-Jan 27, 2017

    For starters, the goal to keep a global temperature rise this
    century well below 2° ... in/global warming/refugees, and more
    droughts, wildfires and heatwaves...
    ...it's frighteningly real—and thanks to climate change, the
    occurrence of the menacing microbe, Vibrio vulnificus, is expected
    to rise.
    Climate change isn't the only culprit in the expected rise in cases
    of deadly bacterial infections. Raw oysters also play a role. The
    editorial board of the Salisbury, Maryland Daily Times (the
    newspaper that reported on the Funk case) offered readers a simple
    warning: "Avoid brackish, stagnant water and don't eat raw oysters."
    For centuries humans have known that climatic conditions affect
    epidemic infections—since well before the basic notion of infectious
    agents was under- stood late in the nineteenth century. The Roman
    aristocracy took refuge in their hill resorts each summer to avoid
    ...More recently, scientists at the World Health Organization
    suggest that climate change aided the spread of the Zika virus.

*This Day in Climate History  January 29, 2006
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/science/earth/29climate.html> -  from
D.R. Tucker*

    The New York Times reports on the extensive effort by the George W.
    Bush administration to muzzle NASA scientist James Hansen. (The
    controversy would also be covered by Air America's "EcoTalk with
    Betsy Rosenberg" and the CBS program "60 Minutes.")
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/science/earth/29climate.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&
    http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2006/02/ecotalk_82.html
    http://youtu.be/x0i4Sx1edJE
    http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/nasa-scientist-muzzled/

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .