[TheClimate.Vote] Jan 30, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for citizens, voters and officials

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jan 30 08:37:44 EST 2017

/Stay well-informed about global warming, //"The biggest trouble we
face"//  Please forward//this email.//January 30, 2017/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/29/gates-warns-against-denying-climate-change/97214936/

      Gates warns against denying climate change
      //
      <http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/29/gates-warns-against-denying-climate-change/97214936/>

USA TODAY-1 hour ago

    Bill Gates warned against denying/climate change/and pushed for more
    innovation in clean energy, during an event Friday at Columbia
    University in New York
    "Certain topics are so complicated like climate change that to
    really get a broad understanding is a bit difficult and particularly
    when  people take that complexity and create uncertainty about it,"
    Gates said...
    The planet needs to find reliable, cheap and clean energy, "the
    innovations there will be profound," Gates said.
    In December, Gates announced that he and a group of investors would
    invest more than $1 billion in Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a fund
    that aims to finance the development of affordable energy that will
    reduce global greenhouse-gas emissions.

https://youtu.be/7Zad1DVGSME 56 minutes
*(Video) Climate Change Conversation feat. Richard Alley & Michael Mann
(January 2017) <https://youtu.be/7Zad1DVGSME>*

    WPSU Penn State Conversations Live - Climate Change....Understanding
    Climate Change...Patty Satalia and guest experts - Richard Alley,
    PhD and Michael Mann, PhD and Jonathan Brockopp, PhD - discuss
    global warming and take your questions.  During the 60-minute
    program, we take phone calls, emails, and questions via twitter.
    Public broadcasting gives the audience an opportunity to help shape
    the content with this monthly call-in program.
    http://wpsu.org/tv/programs/conversationslive/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KPUz8osrD4 55 minutes
*(video) BBC Documentary 2017 - Prof. Michael Mann on Climate Change |
What The Science Tells Us <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KPUz8osrD4>*

    55 minutes with Transcript"...I double-majored at UC Berkeley and
    applied math and physics went off to graduate school Yale university
    to pursue theoretical physics in the late nineteen eighties ... a
    lot of physicists were looking for other areas of science where they
    could apply the math and physics skills that they had.
    Two problems that were really interesting and ... as it happened a
    climate modeling was one of those areas and so I ended up switching
    departments.  I switched into the department of geology and
    geophysics at Yale ...and ended up doing my PhD with a guy named
    Barry Saltzman on climate modeling and it led me down a path that I
    never could have foreseen .... pursuing a line of inquiry...to look
    at these climate proxy records.  That...led us to try to reconstruct
    past climates using these records and it led to this curve the
    hockey sticker which was almost just a by product of that research
    but it tookon a life of its own... "

https://youtu.be/Vxx9exNuE3g
*(video) Noam Chomsky | Using Activism to Confront Climate Change
<https://youtu.be/Vxx9exNuE3g>*

    Interview -23 minutes -  transcript available: "...you can't expect
    positive feedback from power systems, they have their own interest ...
    ...Try to understand the world as it is, not as you wish it were.
    Second point, Decide what outcomes you just think are desirable and
    then ask yourself: Am I willing to commit my energy, effort,
    dedication to try to achieve the outcomes that I think are beneficial ?
    ...The Democrats are somewhat below the global norm,  Republicans
    are off the planet...
    So take say climate change:  Do I want to commit energy and effort
    as I can right now -- not with total impunity, but with a fair
    amount of freedom? Do I want to commit those efforts to ensuring
    there at least increasing the likelihood that my grandchildren will
    have a decent world to live in?
    That's a simple question,  Anybody can ask themselves and the
    choices possible for people like us are quite vast...."

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/global-warming-ecological-changes-pakistan-shelling-triggering-avalanches-bipin-rawat/articleshow/56856067.cms

    *Global warming*, ecological changes, Pakistan shelling triggering
    avalanches: Army Chief Bipin Rawat
    <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/global-warming-ecological-changes-pakistan-shelling-triggering-avalanches-bipin-rawat/articleshow/56856067.cms>

Economic Times 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    NEW DELHI: Global warming, ecological changes and heavy shelling by
    Pakistani troops are triggering avalanches in places like Jammu and
    Kashmir, which had not reported such instances earlier, Army Chief
    Gen Bipin Rawat said today.
    http://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/army-chief-bipin-rawat-blames-pakistan-shelling-global-warming-for-avalanches-in-kashmir/527609/
    Army Chief Bipin Rawat blames Pakistan shelling, global warming for
    avalanches in Kashmir
    <http://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/army-chief-bipin-rawat-blames-pakistan-shelling-global-warming-for-avalanches-in-kashmir/527609/>
    The chief said that the Army is seeking help of the Snow and
    Avalanche Study Establishment, a laboratory under the Defence
    Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), to map avalanche-prone
    areas.
    Rawat said that around 21 persons, including 15 armymen, have been
    killed in these avalanches since last week.
    He said that that the weather conditions predicted to be the same
    for the next two three days."Due to global warming, glaciers are
    witnessing cracks. There are avalanches in areas which had not
    reported such cases earlier.  Avalanches have occurred in Dawar
    areas, Machil sectors.

http://education.iceandsky.com
*Ice and Sky Science <http://education.iceandsky.com>*

    Ice and Sky is an interactive website about the history of
    glaciological research in Antarctica. Since the International
    Geophysical Year (July 1, 1957 to December 31, 1958), scientists
    have uncovered important details about the Earth's climate by
    examining the properties of Antarctica's ice. On this website,
    created by French documentarian Luc Jacquet and the non-profit media
    organization Wild Touch, visitors can learn about this history
    through a six-part video. Within each video chapter, educators will
    also find a number of related resources. These resources include
    recorded interviews with key scientists, detailed PowerPoint
    presentations, educational booklets, and short videos. While some of
    resources are embedded on the site, others can be downloaded through
    a link on the right side of the browser. Educators may also create
    their own classroom websites that feature specific resources of
    their choice. Worth noting: Ice and Sky earned a 2016 Webby
    nomination as an outstanding educational website.

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/29/how-close-is-1-5c-depends-when-you-measure-from/
*How close is 1.5°C? Depends when you measure from
<http://www.salon.com/2017/01/29/how-close-is-1-5c-depends-when-you-measure-from/>*

    A new study calculates that temperatures have warmed at least 1°C
    since the early 1880s
    Most scientists studying global warming compare today's temperatures
    to those of the late 19th century because that is as far back as
    quality temperature observations go. But a new study makes the case
    for a better comparison period, one that includes the warming that
    had already resulted by the middle of the 1800s and shows how close
    the world already is to breaching international warming targets...
    For the new study, detailed Wednesday in the journal Bulletin of the
    American Meteorological Society, the authors suggested using
    1720-1800 as a pre-industrial period, because it is before
    greenhouse gas-spewing industrial activities kicked into gear but
    still relatively recent. It was also after the unusually cold period
    called the Little Ice Age driven by volcanic eruptions and solar
    activity.

http://nation.com.pk/snippets/29-Jan-2017/new-mercury-threat-to-oceans-from-climate-change
*New mercury threat to oceans from climate change
<http://nation.com.pk/snippets/29-Jan-2017/new-mercury-threat-to-oceans-from-climate-change>*
The Nation-18 hours ago

    The most common form of exposure to mercury is by eating fish
    containing methylmercury, an organic form of the chemical which
    forms when bacteria react with mercury in water, soil or plants...
    Levels of mercury in the world's ecosystems have increased by
    between 200 and 500%, since the industrial revolution say experts,
    driven up by the use of fossil fuels such as coal...
    In recent years there are have been concentrated efforts to limit
    the amount of mercury entering the environment, with an
    international treaty, called the Minamata Convention, signed by 136
    countries in place since 2013.
    But this new study suggests that climate change could be driving up
    levels of methylmercury in a manner not previously recognised...
    Different parts of the world will suffer different impacts say the
    researchers, with lakes and coastal waters in the northern
    hemisphere being the most likely to have significant increases in
    methylmercury levels in fish, while the Mediterranean, the central
    US and Southern Africa will likely see reductions.

https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/01/29/25-years-ago-fred-palmer-kick-started-first-fossil-fuel-funded-campaigns-attack-climate-science
*"God Bless Trump": 25 Years Ago This Man Kick Started the First Fossil
Fuel–Funded Campaigns to Attack Climate Science
<https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/01/29/25-years-ago-fred-palmer-kick-started-first-fossil-fuel-funded-campaigns-attack-climate-science>*

    Coal-Funded Climate Denial - A few weeks ago, climate science denial
    group the Heartland Institute announced that Palmer would join the
    group as a senior fellow...
    But while many despise that nefarious industry funding and see it as
    a clear and undisclosed conflict of interest, Palmer is unapologetic
    to those people...
    "Maybe they do [despise that kind of activity]. But they don't
    understand life and they don't understand advocacy. I can't help
    that … I am reaching out to the fossil fuel community right now and
    raising money for Heartland," he said.  "Of course that's acceptable."
    On his interpretation of the science, Palmer's views have changed
    not one bit since the late 1990s...
    "There are no observations that we have been having catastrophic
    global warming — it's sophistry. It's an agenda driven by lawyers
    who make their own facts and make up their own laws and that was
    called the Obama administration. [Former vice president Al] Gore
    would have been the same way if he had been in power."..
    Palmer does not accept, for example, that records of extreme heat
    are linked to CO2 levels in the atmosphere. He says rising sea
    levels are "not a threat to any coastal area in the world, at all."...
    Palmer's views, and those of others now embedded in the Trump-led
    administration, are, of course, contradicted outright by every major
    scientific academy on the planet...
    According to Oreskes, climate science deniers like Palmer are
    understandably emboldened by Trump's election.
    "I think climate deniers are pretty darn pleased with themselves
    right now," she said.

http://youtu.be/w6b_JGaL128*
This Day in Climate History  January 30, 2007
<http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2007/01/dr_francesca_gr.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker*

    The House Committee on Government Reform and Oversight holds a
    hearing on the Bush administration's censorship of climate science.
    (The next day, Dr. Francesca Grifo of the Union of Concerned
    Scientists discusses the hearings on Air America’s “EcoTalk with
    Betsy Rosenberg.”)
    http://youtu.be/w6b_JGaL128
    http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2007/01/dr_francesca_gr.html

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .